Just took DAT, need some advice on what to do next.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FMM3981

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just took my DAT today and scored a TS 18 AA 19. I bombed the PAT/QR (13 and 14) and got scored

Bio 18
GC 17
OC 21
RC 26

I'm leaning towards taking the DAT again to score way higher on PAT/QR which I admittedly did bad on because I barely looked at it and obviously need to bump up my bio and chem scores. I know I can do better.

Applications open June 1... Should I start applying to schools or wait to retake it (after Aug 26, 2016)?

If I apply to schools earlier, can i resend my new dat score in the same cycle? Is that possible that to do? I don't want to wait so late (aug) to apply cause the earlier the better.

Also, so far I only have some extra curriculars and shadowing hours on my resume. What can I do to stand out as a pre dent?

Any advice on my plan of action for the summer would be beneficial.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think any schools will take a 14 QR and 13 PAT seriously. I'd retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think they matter with those stats. Of course unless he's an Eskimo or Native American.

But really, you would need to retake and this time work on QR and PAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think any schools will take a 14 QR and 13 PAT seriously. I'd retake.

That's not the question though... OP already is telling us that he/she is leaning towards a retake. The question is whether to apply before retaking or WAIT until he/she retakes it.

That's not the question though... OP already is telling us that he/she is leaning towards a retake. The question is whether to apply before retaking or WAIT until he/she retakes it.

He could you know...... Look up about 10 other threads the past week asking about the same exact question. "Retake now or later". The answer is, you can apply now and update the dat scores later. There's an option for that.

Reactions: 1 users
He could you know...... Look up about 10 other threads the past week asking about the same exact question. "Retake now or later". The answer is, you can apply now and update the dat scores later. There's an option for that.

There you go, THAT'S the answer OP probably wants.

Various volunteer roles medical/non medical related (hospital, serving lower class communities and the like), however no dental volunteer extra curriculars, secretary and then became chair for a student advisory board in undergrad, pre dental club, shadowing 100+ hrs (general dentists)

Thanks for the responses. Grateful.

FYI there is a mandatory 3 month window where you can't retake the DAT after your first exam. I.e. If you took the exam on June 1 you can't retake until September 1.