Just took my DAT Today: Chances/Competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirby123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I scored AA 19/ TS 19/ OC 19/ GC 20/ Bio 19/ RC 20/ QR 17/ PAT 20
I'm not too happy about my QR 17 considering it's "average" but I really want to avoid going through the whole DAT process if I can.... :'(

My cumulative GPA is 3.727 and my science GPA is 3.735

A little background:
I attended an early college program during high school which allowed me to take classes at the small local college (I think it's considered a community college) and use them as credits towards both my HS diploma and college AA. I got a few B's C's and 1 D grade which brought down my GPA. Once I graduated HS, I continued at the same college and received my BS Biology (with all A's for the final two years).

I was involved in many honors societies during high school, if that matters.
In college, I was in a biological honor society and golden key honor society (for the top 15% of your school). Participated in several clubs, and had 1 leadership position as treasurer of a club. I received an award for Excellence in Scientific Writing and was a Top 4 Finalist for my college's Alumni Award. Over the past year I've been volunteering with molecular biology research at the VA. And have been volunteering at a dental clinic for the homeless.

I've shadowed/volunteered with an orthodontist when I was 16 and have continued to shadow and do internships all throughout my career, which lead me to my current job of 1+ years as a dental assistant (without extended functions) just handling tools assisting with suction etc. I have shadowed probably more than 1000+ hours​

I'm applying this 2016 cycle. Oh and I'm a minority female. I'd really like to hear your input....

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I attended an early college program during high school which allowed me to take classes at the small local college (I think it's considered a community college)

Once I graduated HS, I continued at the same college and received my BS Biology (with all A's for the final two years).

So after high school you went to community college?

I was involved in many honors societies during high school, if that matters.

Theres a general consensus you shouldn't list anything done during high school era on AADSAS, but feel free to mention it on your personal statement if you feel like its needed. Your DAT score isn't too horrible. My ¢2.

Yes

Theres a general consensus you shouldn't list anything done during high school era on AADSAS, but feel free to mention it on your personal statement if you feel like its needed. Your DAT score isn't too horrible. My ¢2.

Yes I went to community college. And I hope it's not too bad I expected to score at least 19 on all sections

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a huge issue. Very few programs don't take prereqs from cc's, and a lot more programs have a limit on credits from cc's. You might even need to retake some prereqs or upper division courses at a university. Honestly, top 15% from a community college doesn't mean much. I hate to break it to you but if you completed a bachelors from a cc with a 3.7GPA and 19AA your steering your boat into a storm. Best of luck, My ¢2.

Reactions: 1 user
This might be a huge issue. Very few programs don't take prereqs from cc's, and a lot more programs have a limit on credits from cc's. You might even need to retake some prereqs or upper division courses at a university. Honestly, top 15% from a community college doesn't mean much. I hate to break it to you but if you completed a bachelors from a cc with a 3.7GPA and 19AA your steering your boat into a storm. Best of luck, My ¢2.

Oh man.. Thanks. I thought I was in the clear cause I looked at toothdoc's guide to all the dental schools and their stats, requirements etc

Sigh no I didn't... I was all on my own

I suggest contacting a predent advisor at a university you could potentially attend and get their opinion. Use this forum too.

Alright thanks for your advice, i appreciate it

I don't think you will have an issue. Community colleges are usually 2 years only, aren't they? I haven't heard of community colleges that give 4 year degrees.

I could be wrong though.

I don't think you will have an issue. Community colleges are usually 2 years only, aren't they? I haven't heard of community colleges that give 4 year degrees.

I could be wrong though.

I was assuming OP took all prereqs at cc, but yeah I thought cc only give out associate degrees

Members don't see this ad :)

I could be wrong though.

Yeah my college does indeed give several types of 4 yr degrees. I looked into it more and saw that it might be a state college rather than a community college, based on its source of funding from the state rather than local. But I don't know if DSchools would classify it the same way because it's still not considered a big time university.

I agree with Beaver. Some schools won't like having 100% of your classes at a CC. I think you'll be able to apply to at least a few though, you'll have to do more research as to which ones don't care when your pre-reqs are at a community college.

I feel like you went to a state/liberal arts college and not a community college. If you don't mind, you can say what school it was and we can figure it out.

It's going to make a difference.

I saw your other post, I want to say no +/- grade scale tends to be cc but not 100%

You're correct, I just verified this with my classmate from the cc that applied to D schools last cycle. She is a Mom with 2 kids (non traditional student?) and worse scores than mine, she described them as horrible. she's still wait listed at LECOM

Last edited:
I feel like you went to a state/liberal arts college and not a community college. If you don't mind, you can say what school it was and we can figure it out.

It's going to make a difference.

I'll PM you

Yeah I found the document from toothdoc with these details. Still quite vague but I'll contact the schools

I agree with Beaver. Some schools won't like having 100% of your classes at a CC. I think you'll be able to apply to at least a few though, you'll have to do more research as to which ones don't care when your pre-reqs are at a community college.[/QUOTE

I went to a state school too. 18 AA 19TS and 16QR. I also had a 3.8 GPA for overall and science. 1000+ Hours community service and 120 hoursshadowing.

Applied to 13 schools and got 9 interview invites. Attended 5 and got into 4. You'll be fine if you do well at your interviews.

Last edited:
I went to a state school too. 18 AA 19TS and 16QR. I also had a 3.8 GPA for overall and science. 1000+ Hours community service and 120 hoursshadowing.

Applied to 13 schools and got 10 interview invites. Attended 5 and got into 4. You'll be fine if you do well at your interviews.

What schools did you apply to?

Applied to 13 schools and got 10 interview invites. Attended 5 and got into 4. You'll be fine if you do well at your interviews.
:highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
What schools did you apply to?

MWU-AZ: interview attended and accepted (going here)
ASDOH: interview attended and accepted
Louisville: interview attended and accepted
Indiana: interview attended and accepted
Creighton: interview attended and wait listed
OHSU: interview offered but declined
Western: interview offer but declined
Case western: interview offer but declined
Roseman: interview offer but declined
MWU-IL: rejected
MOSDOH: rejected
LECOM: never contacted by them
Nova SE: never contacted by them

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 3 users

Hope that helps!
Ayyyyy :love:

Reactions: 2 users

Applied to 13 schools and got 9 interview invites. Attended 5 and got into 4. You'll be fine if you do well at your interviews.

Congratulations!!! That's amazing! My GPA is a bit lower than yours. I see you got a 16 in QR, do you think I should retake with my 17QR? I'm so scared I'm not competitive enough.

Hope that helps!

Wow, the last two schools are in my state :/ and we have kind of similar stats.... Was hoping I would at least get an interview from LECOM. Anyway, in regards to the community college prereqs and maximum semester hours, that does NOT apply to us if we went to state schools? Just for clarity. It'd open up my list a lot more if it doesn't apply

Congratulations!!! That's amazing! My GPA is a bit lower than yours. I see you got a 16 in QR, do you think I should retake with my 17QR? I'm so scared I'm not competitive enough.
I honestly think you're fine. I dealt with the same insecurities of not feeling like I was competitive enough because of my DAT and coming from a smaller school in Idaho. Only one school brought up my DAT score not matching my GPA. That was Louisville and I still got in there. My advisors and friends who were all in dental school all told me not to worry or retake the DAT. That's obviously easier said than done, but you'll see that you're good enough.

A 17 on QR is totally fine. Don't worry about it!

Just be sure you have enough shadowing hours and hopefully some volunteer/community service!

Wow, the last two schools are in my state :/ and we have kind of similar stats.... Was hoping I would at least get an interview from LECOM. Anyway, in regards to the community college prereqs and maximum semester hours, that does NOT apply to us if we went to state schools? Just for clarity. It'd open up my list a lot more if it doesn't apply
I'm sure you'll have a different experience with those schools since they're instate for you.

If your credits are for sure from a state school, do not worry about the credits. They are not considered community college credits at all. You'll be fine! :)

I honestly think you're fine. I dealt with the same insecurities of not feeling like I was competitive enough because of my DAT and coming from a smaller school in Idaho. Only one school brought up my DAT score not matching my GPA. That was Louisville and I still got in there. My advisors and friends who were all in dental school all told me not to worry or retake the DAT. That's obviously easier said than done, but you'll see that you're good enough.

Just be sure you have enough shadowing hours and hopefully some volunteer/community service!

Thanks for the advice! I definitely have a lot of shadowing hours and have been trying to do community service through the homeless dental clinic and volunteer research. I feel a lot better about my stats now. I really appreciate your words of encouragement!

You'll be ok. Schools generally don't care about QR. You're 19TS, 20PAT and your GPA put you in a solid spot.