just want to get in, what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to know how my chances for getting in DO or MD either is fine. I am a post-bac student, my undergrad GPA was to low- 3.0, so I am taking classes (all tough sciences) and doing well (3.9 so far) I plan on either taking a full course load in the fall and then cutting it down for the spring to study for the MCAT or to do mostly research in the fall and spring (still with MCAT) I was just wondering if taking more post-bac classes is better or the research (with possible publication)? Any other suggestions are fine as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to know how my chances for getting in DO or MD either is fine. I am a post-bac student, my undergrad GPA was to low- 3.0, so I am taking classes (all tough sciences) and doing well (3.9 so far) I plan on either taking a full course load in the fall and then cutting it down for the spring to study for the MCAT or to do mostly research in the fall and spring (still with MCAT) I was just wondering if taking more post-bac classes is better or the research (with possible publication)? Any other suggestions are fine as well.

Was your undergrad BCPM GPA the same as your undergrad GPA, or better/worse?

What's your overall (undergrad + postbac) GPA now?
What's your BCPM (undergrad + postbac) GPA now?

Let's assume you continue to get a 3.9 in your classes - what will it be as of the end of the spring for each of your options?

Obviously a lot will depend on how well you do on the MCAT.

I'm in the same right-around-3.0 undergrad GPA boat, albeit starting pretty much from scratch on my prereqs. Looking at taking postbac classes, my undergrad GPA is going to go up very slowly, while my BCPM GPA a bit faster since I didn't take much science as an undergrad.

Research could definitely helps, but unless you have a lot of postbac work already under your belt my *guess* is that you'd be better served by boosting your overall GPA.

Research only matters to schools that focus on research. They tend to want younger people, and those without tarnished records.

My recommendation...
  • Focus on getting high marks in your post bacc.
  • Focus on getting a high MCAT, 30+
  • Get lots of clinical volunteer and shadowing experience

You'll make it by doing that as those are the big three that most schools are looking for.

Just for comparison from my story...
  • Undergrad GPA 3.1 (pre-post bacc from prior 5-year chemistry degree)
  • Post Bacc GPA 4.0 (3 full-time semesters and 2 summers, mostly upper-division sciences and some hard ones like Biochemistry)
  • Total Overall GPA after 2.5 years of post bacc: 3.4
  • MCAT 33 (V10/P10/B13)
  • 750+ clinical volunteer hours and shadowing
  • 2 Allopathic interviews in my own state (applied late to 15), 1 acceptance

I have also been told that research only matters for schools who are BIG on research. During a meeting with an admissions advisor for a medical school. I wanted to let them know that I do not have research and cannot figure out how It could be possible do that with a full time job, and being a full time student.
The response that I got was not to discount the life experience obtained from being a older student. Play up on that it is an bonus!