Just when you think you'd seen it all....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ugh those poor dogs! Im sure all the chemicals can't be good for their skin or their noses! Why cant these people find some humans that can CONSENT to getting their skin and hair dyed purple with zebra strips? yuck.

P.S love your art link!
 
As long as they're using vegetable-based dyes (like Manic Panic, Punky Colors or Fudge,) and not some ammonia based dye, I don't really see a problem with it. It doesn't hurt the dogs, and I seriously that the dogs are thinking "oh, no, I'm pink! I'm so humiliated!" I mean, we're talking about animals that will roll in horse poop if given the chance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks about the link!! I just couldn't believe it when I saw these dogs, though. Sometimes you just cant improve upon nature. Although, now that I think about it, all of these dogs are the result of artificial selection, so maybe some artificial hair dye is just taking it one step further.
 
I like the buffalo one. 😀

I just think there are much worse things in animal welfare to deal with, haha. Most people who would go through that much effort for their animals are probably using relatively safe dyes and being careful.
 
I've seen a couple different sites with pictures like that on there. Most of them are poodles.

Half the poodles I know, including a friends, LOVE to stand for hours to be groomed. My friends will put her front feet up on the grooming table and beg for somebody to brush her. I can definitely picture her enjoying being dolled up LOL. It must be a poodle thing.
 
I'm mostly speechless, but I will say I enjoyed some of the photos😳. As long as the dyes are non-toxic and the dogs enjoy being groomed, what the heck. I bet they eat up all the love and attention they get afterwards too! One my my labs loves costumes and costume parties because of all the attention he gets. My other one however... not so much.

I've seen a couple different sites with pictures like that on there. Most of them are poodles.

Half the poodles I know, including a friends, LOVE to stand for hours to be groomed. My friends will put her front feet up on the grooming table and beg for somebody to brush her. I can definitely picture her enjoying being dolled up LOL. It must be a poodle thing.

Just had to add a story about my sister's poodle that happened this week. She apparently can be "tricky" at the groomer and has had more than one injury from moving at the wrong time, but this week she took it to a whole new level. She thought it was a good idea to take a flying leap off the table (not sure how that is possible since I thought they were tied on?). Luckily the groomer had quick reflexes and caught her (so no broken bones), but unluckily she was holding the shears at the time and the dog ended up with a huge gash on her belly. But then luckily again, the groomer is at her vet's office so the dog was rushed to the treatment area and they were able to staple her up. So now the poor thing is in an e-collar and miserable. There was no charge for the grooming... or the emergency vet visit😉. This dog is not a candidate for grooming art!
 
WOW!!! Didn't think I was going to be building a fan base for this site and now we're picking favorites!! LOL I've lightened up Shanomong... : )...I guess you are right as long as they are not excessively stressing the animals and using non-toxic dyes, it isn't really harming them. It just took me awhile to recover from the initial shock value.
 
Last edited:
Yeah its probably no big deal, I just wouldnt want that to happen to my dog vegetable dye or not. I guess you're right we've designed dogs to be our sidekicks anyways why not one step further if it they're not being harmed?
 
I saw an article about this in the NYtimes last month. It's gotten pretty popular. Plus, one dog was done up to look like Mad Hatter from the new Alice in Wonderland movie...pretty cool if I may say so. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cute. I paint my horse with acrylic paints (same stuff as finger paints),

Every year in October I paint jack-o-lanterns on him and he bobs for apples. He doesn't seem to mind the paint although the art only lasts until he rolls onto the ground.
 
Cute. I paint my horse with acrylic paints (same stuff as finger paints),

Every year in October I paint jack-o-lanterns on him and he bobs for apples. He doesn't seem to mind the paint although the art only lasts until he rolls onto the ground.

I used Show Touch-Up to do a white 71 on Coquette's butt for a freestyle showmanship class. We did a hockey themed routine. I was Sidney Crosby and she was Evgeni Malkin. 😛
 
Some of those are kind of neat, but seriously, I wouldn't be caught dead walking a dog that looks like a football player.
 
Weird coincidence, I just heard about these pictures on the radio yesterday. They're hilarious, although I can't imagine putting that much effort into making my pet look goofy. One thing I heard on the radio was that when the groomers do really intense work like this, they break it up into little mini-sessions so the dog doesn't get too stressed out. Basically, snip snip, snack break, snip snip, naptime...

My fave here is totally horsedog.
 
I really liked this link. I thought it was great art. As long as the dye isn't noxious and they only have the extra props for a little while during photos I would think that the dogs wouldn't mind.

I guess the only concern I would have is this adding to the concept of dogs as an accessory/object.
 
I can't stop showing people this website 😀 I'm So doing this when I get a poodle!

I really don't understand you people at all. This is absolutely ridiculous.

And don't you dare say a word when you see my dogs walking around W. Philly in their jackets next fall! :laugh: And booties in the winter. And raincoats in the spring. and.. I give up.
 
I really don't understand you people at all. This is absolutely ridiculous.

And don't you dare say a word when you see my dogs walking around W. Philly in their jackets next fall! :laugh: And booties in the winter. And raincoats in the spring. and.. I give up.

Ever since I learned to knit, I've been possessed by this desire to make a dog sweater. It's getting harder and harder to repress.
 
And on to the cats...
tim-walker_7.jpg
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad