Kansas State C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A couple of questions for any current students who may know:

How long does the DVM/PhD program take to complete? I know at other university these degrees are not completed concurrently so they can take 7+ years. Is the the case as KSU?

And could anyone provide more info about the collaboration with the National Bio and Agro-defense Facility (NBAF). I believe it was mentioned at the dinner (and I may be mistaken) about an annual stipend that they provide with an agreement to work for them after graduation for the amount of funding time + 2 years. Am I correct about that or am I thinking of something else. And if so, how much of a stipend or tuition assistance is offered and how difficult is it to apply for this program.

Yep the page @Teepster87 linked you to pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure how many applicants they had, but I knew some others from my department who applied and didn't get it. It's a pretty sweet deal if that's your interest so I would imagine each round of applications will be fairly competitive. My suspicion is you'd need to be fully involved in your program, have a supervisor, have some preliminary research and interests under your belt, etc to be a good candidate for selection. I was part of another fellowship program sponsored by the DHS, but I declined to apply for this one because I'm only in this state for school and am needed elsewhere. Though some of the first selected will likely be sent to Plum Island until NBAF opens.

Timelines...man. It's hard to say because graduate school is so different than vet school. I'd say most people shoot for 7 years for both degrees, but crap happens. Your project isn't working, advisor leaves, change labs, committee issues, funding issues, etc. Sometimes advisors (in any graduate program) try to hang on to students because when you're ready to graduate you've been there for a bit and are familiar with the projects and much more productive than newer, less knowledgeable students. Others want you done and out quick. Basically plan on 7-8 years, and generally that works. Some might be able to do that a little faster, while others it may take a little longer. There's a lot of variables and many things are up to you. I felt it was prudent to finish my DVM straight through first; gain all that clinical knowledge and experience, a respected credential, and a solid career path regardless, and then move on to PhD research. I did also spend some time in the lab most weeks during first and second year and took a couple graduate classes and seminars, but third and fourth year didn't allow time for that. However, I know it is commonly done by taking a break during the DVM program to do your research. I also don't have a BS, so I wouldn't have been eligible to have a PhD granted to me until earning the DVM anyway.
 
Last edited:
I’m gonna second Lyra’s statement SOHARD. OOS tuition is insane. Please go to your IS!!! It’s 4 years you have to be there and then you can move wherever you want. The only reason to NOT go IS is if you get into one of the OOS schools that lets you change residency and it ends up being cheaper to go OOS.

In my case, my IS costs almost as much (actually about the same I believe) as OOS, I actually didn’t apply for several other reasons. I applied OOS everywhere. KState was one of my top choices, and I was absolutely thrilled when I got accepted, and they’re about the same tuition cost as the other two schools I interviewed at (haven’t heard back from either yet, and I liked Kansas State the most out of the three) so I am almost definitely going to be at Kansas next fall!
 
In my case, my IS costs almost as much (actually about the same I believe) as OOS, I actually didn’t apply for several other reasons. I applied OOS everywhere. KState was one of my top choices, and I was absolutely thrilled when I got accepted, and they’re about the same tuition cost as the other two schools I interviewed at (haven’t heard back from either yet, and I liked Kansas State the most out of the three) so I am almost definitely going to be at Kansas next fall!
Is your IS penn or one of the schools that's a private school (aka like Midwestern) where they don't actually recognize IS vs OOS?
But yeah, an OOS that's cheaper than your IS (including tuition, fees, housing/general cost of living stuff) for whatever reason is definitely a good reason to go OOS to somewhere cheaper.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If there are any CURRENT K-State Vet Students on this forum, I would love a pro-con list of the school to help me make a decision of which school to choose!
Thanks!
 
I have a few questions for current K-State students if y'all have a chance 🙂
1. Are K-State students competitive in residencies/internships post-graduation? (ie can you hold your own with students from "higher ranked" schools like UC Davis or CSU?)
2. Is there a dress code for classes?
3. Is attendance required for lectures?

1. We are just as competitive as any other school. It is what you do to make yourself stand out that determines if you get residencies and internships, not what school you went to.
2. There is a dress code for the most part. We are suppose to dress business casual. Nobody really cares what you wear as long as you are not wearing ripped jeans, short skirts, etc. We have access to veterinary hospital throughout the day and clients can see us walking into class or walking the halls of the clinic. We also have guest speakers come in pretty regularly and you don't want to be wearing sweats when talking to a potential future employer. 1st impressions are everything!
3. Attendance is not required for the most part but is HIGHLY recommended. Each professor uploads their notes onto one-note but it is always good to come to class and listen to fill in the blanks or get a better understanding of the material. Most of the professors also record their lectures, but that depends on the professor and the subject.
 
1. We are just as competitive as any other school. It is what you do to make yourself stand out that determines if you get residencies and internships, not what school you went to.
2. There is a dress code for the most part. We are suppose to dress business casual. Nobody really cares what you wear as long as you are not wearing ripped jeans, short skirts, etc. We have access to veterinary hospital throughout the day and clients can see us walking into class or walking the halls of the clinic. We also have guest speakers come in pretty regularly and you don't want to be wearing sweats when talking to a potential future employer. 1st impressions are everything!
3. Attendance is not required for the most part but is HIGHLY recommended. Each professor uploads their notes onto one-note but it is always good to come to class and listen to fill in the blanks or get a better understanding of the material. Most of the professors also record their lectures, but that depends on the professor and the subject.

Thanks so much!!
 
I have a few questions for current K-State students if y'all have a chance 🙂
1. Are K-State students competitive in residencies/internships post-graduation? (ie can you hold your own with students from "higher ranked" schools like UC Davis or CSU?)
2. Is there a dress code for classes?
3. Is attendance required for lectures?
1. As far as I know yes, I don't know actual match rate statistics, but generally what school you go to isn't looked at much when applying for internships/residencies, it's mainly about your GPA/class rank, recommendation letters, and your experiences.
2. Yes, there's a professional dress code for lectures. There aren't written rules as far as what that means, but my class was told during orientation no T-shirts, leggings, pajama pants, short shorts or sneakers. It's not strict, most days I wear jeans, a button down or blouse, cardigan or jacket, and flats or boots. Some people bend the rules, nobody will tell you to go home and change if you're wearing the "wrong" thing, the class officers just might send out an email reminder if a lot of people are slacking.
3. Technically yes, but most classes don't take attendance, you'll just need an excused absence in order to make up any in-class assignments/quizzes (which are generally announced in advance). Some professors have threatened to stop having lectures recorded or start doing pop quizzes if a lot of people are skipping, but they've never followed through on that.
 
I have a few questions for current K-State students if y'all have a chance 🙂
1. Are K-State students competitive in residencies/internships post-graduation? (ie can you hold your own with students from "higher ranked" schools like UC Davis or CSU?)
SCHOOL RANKINGS DO NOT MATTER. KSU doesn’t even participate in them. They refuse to because they are dumb.
 
Yep the page @Teepster87 linked you to pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure how many applicants they had, but I knew some others from my department who applied and didn't get it. It's a pretty sweet deal if that's your interest so I would imagine each round of applications will be fairly competitive. My suspicion is you'd need to be fully involved in your program, have a supervisor, have some preliminary research and interests under your belt, etc to be a good candidate for selection. I was part of another fellowship program sponsored by the DHS, but I declined to apply for this one because I'm only in this state for school and am needed elsewhere. Though some of the first selected will likely be sent to Plum Island until NBAF opens.

Timelines...man. It's hard to say because graduate school is so different than vet school. I'd say most people shoot for 7 years for both degrees, but crap happens. Your project isn't working, advisor leaves, change labs, committee issues, funding issues, etc. Sometimes advisors (in any graduate program) try to hang on to students because when you're ready to graduate you've been there for a bit and are familiar with the projects and much more productive than newer, less knowledgeable students. Others want you done and out quick. Basically plan on 7-8 years, and generally that works. Some might be able to do that a little faster, while others it may take a little longer. There's a lot of variables and many things are up to you. I felt it was prudent to finish my DVM straight through first; gain all that clinical knowledge and experience, a respected credential, and a solid career path regardless, and then move on to PhD research. I did also spend some time in the lab most weeks during first and second year and took a couple graduate classes and seminars, but third and fourth year didn't allow time for that. However, I know it is commonly done by taking a break during the DVM program to do your research. I also don't have a BS, so I wouldn't have been eligible to have a PhD granted to me until earning the DVM anyway.

The DVM-PHD confuses me a bit, if you could clarify that would be awesome! Since you did not do your PHD concurrently, how many more years did it take to complete it? Is the time frame roughly the same with a DVM-PHD? I'd like to get both, but I don't know if there are any specific positives of taking them "together." It seems to be better to finish one degree then tackle the next. Any input is appreciated! Thank you.
 
I might've skipped more than a few afternoon lectures...
1. As far as I know yes, I don't know actual match rate statistics, but generally what school you go to isn't looked at much when applying for internships/residencies, it's mainly about your GPA/class rank, recommendation letters, and your experiences.
2. Yes, there's a professional dress code for lectures. There aren't written rules as far as what that means, but my class was told during orientation no T-shirts, leggings, pajama pants, short shorts or sneakers. It's not strict, most days I wear jeans, a button down or blouse, cardigan or jacket, and flats or boots. Some people bend the rules, nobody will tell you to go home and change if you're wearing the "wrong" thing, the class officers just might send out an email reminder if a lot of people are slacking.
3. Technically yes, but most classes don't take attendance, you'll just need an excused absence in order to make up any in-class assignments/quizzes (which are generally announced in advance). Some professors have threatened to stop having lectures recorded or start doing pop quizzes if a lot of people are skipping, but they've never followed through on that.

I don't think my class gave af about dress code. During the warm months I almost always wore a t-shirt plus or minus a hoodie for the freezing lecture halls.

Definitely skipped more than a few afternoon lectures in my day...

The DVM-PHD confuses me a bit, if you could clarify that would be awesome! Since you did not do your PHD concurrently, how many more years did it take to complete it? Is the time frame roughly the same with a DVM-PHD? I'd like to get both, but I don't know if there are any specific positives of taking them "together." It seems to be better to finish one degree then tackle the next. Any input is appreciated! Thank you.

Same thing. It's still concurrent or dual-degree (whatever you want to call it). I did PhD related things during vet school, I just didn't take a complete break from vet school to finish the PhD first like many do. You can't do both aspects at the same time fully. I started in 2013, DVM in 2017, and am hoping to finish this year (my advisor wants me to lol) so assuming things go according to plan, 6 or 6.5 years total. Dual degree programs are going to tend to have a shorter timeline, but again, it depends. My advisor seems to be pretty practical about getting students finished.
 
I might've skipped more than a few afternoon lectures...


I don't think my class gave af about dress code. During the warm months I almost always wore a t-shirt plus or minus a hoodie for the freezing lecture halls.

Definitely skipped more than a few afternoon lectures in my day...



Same thing. It's still concurrent or dual-degree (whatever you want to call it). I did PhD related things during vet school, I just didn't take a complete break from vet school to finish the PhD first like many do. You can't do both aspects at the same time fully. I started in 2013, DVM in 2017, and am hoping to finish this year (my advisor wants me to lol) so assuming things go according to plan, 6 or 6.5 years total. Dual degree programs are going to tend to have a shorter timeline, but again, it depends. My advisor seems to be pretty practical about getting students finished.
Who is your advsior, if you do not mind me asking? And what department are you in? 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don’t mind you asking but probably better for a less public space - shoot me a message and we can talk.
Hi, i also sent you a message. i have a few questions about the DVM/ PhD program too as that is the route i am pursuing. If you could provide some clarrification, i would really appreciate it.
 
Hey guys! Anyone know if the class page is up on Facebook? Just accepted my spot! Super stoked to meet everyone and get started!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now this is nothing concrete but there's definitely going to be people who accepted an OOS offer, but are on their IS waitlist, so as they keep updating throughout the summer, things will move more and more. Be patient if you don't hear today and keep up the faith!
 
Has anyone else received an email from K-State asking for a decision on acceptance of seat even after you *thought* you had already declined the seat? I just opened an email addressed specifically to me (not a generic mailing) stating that I had not notified K-State of my decision.... I feel really bad about this as I mailed off my paperwork on February 19 declining my seat. Have received a few emails in the interim about decisions needing to be made by April 15 but I figured they were just generic emails sent to everyone.

Anyways, I didn't want KSU to think I was stringing anyone along this entire time as that is certainly not the case. I have emailed Dr. Rost with my apologies and notifying her of my intent to decline.

Silver lining for some on the waitlist: It appears that K-State just was notified of my intent to decline so there is another OOS seat about to open up!
 
Go for the cheapest schoolllllllll
Yah that was initially how I was going to go about choosing the school but it’s only like a 2k difference every year. I feel like I would feel more comfortable in Minneapolis’ urban setting. I wish they gave me more than like 3 hours to make a decision but I understand since they gotta keep calling people 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to put as a heads up that I will be declining my seat at Kansas. While I loved it, I think I’m in too deep at Minnesota 😛 I just called to decline so hopefully someone on the waitlist will be getting a call pretty soon.
 
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've heard that the class has been filled! There were 13 seats filled by people from the waitlist. However there is still the chance that a spot could open up over the summer if someone were to get off a waitlist elsewhere and decline their spot!
 
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've heard that the class has been filled! There were 13 seats filled by people from the waitlist. However there is still the chance that a spot could open up over the summer if someone were to get off a waitlist elsewhere and decline their spot!

I had originally accepted a seat but just emailed them yesterday to withdraw as I will be attending another school so hopefully they have contacted someone else off the waitlist!