Kansas State C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cbabcock22

Kansas State c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’ve seen C/O 2023 threads starting & didn’t see Kansas so I figured I’d start one up!

This is my third time applying overall, third time to Kansas. The first time I was rejected with no interview; second time I was interviewed than waitlisted. Third time???

Looking forward to meeting everyone interested in KState!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi ! This is my third time applying, first time to Kansas state! Hoping this is the year and I look forward to meeting many of you ! Worried but hopeful :)

Late reply, but I'm going into third year at K-State if anyone has any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going into my second year at K-State if anyone wants to ask me questions too!

Second application cycle, first time to Kansas State :)

I will be a first year at Kansas if you have any questions.

I'm going into my second year at K-State if anyone wants to ask me questions too!
Hi I’m new to the SDN and not sure if I ask my questions to individuals or how to get lots of feedback. I’m finishing up prerequisites for Vet School and am hoping to get into K State as my top pick. I have a BS in Animal Science with Equine Emphasis, 3.4 GPA, GRE (quant 147) (verbal 143) (writing 3). I have 10 years of experience in the Veterinary field ranging from work/volunteering at the SPCA to internships and employment at clinics. Lots of leadership roles and organizations I helped raise up as well as extracurricular activities (from band to horse showing). Any advice? I’m not sure how best to analyze my GPA and if I should still take the math prerequisites that other Vet schools require. I’m hoping to apply next summer for entrance in 2020. Thanks! And if I need to post this elsewhere please let me know!

I’ve been trying for a long time to get straight answers from advisors everywhere and it’s never happened so I’m really hoping this site can help give me some direction on how I’m doing in preparing for my application.

K State is also my top pick. I am working on finishing up my application as we speak! Hope to see you all there.

Hi I’m new to the SDN and not sure if I ask my questions to individuals or how to get lots of feedback. I’m finishing up prerequisites for Vet School and am hoping to get into K State as my top pick. I have a BS in Animal Science with Equine Emphasis, 3.4 GPA, GRE (quant 147) (verbal 143) (writing 3). I have 10 years of experience in the Veterinary field ranging from work/volunteering at the SPCA to internships and employment at clinics. Lots of leadership roles and organizations I helped raise up as well as extracurricular activities (from band to horse showing). Any advice? I’m not sure how best to analyze my GPA and if I should still take the math prerequisites that other Vet schools require. I’m hoping to apply next summer for entrance in 2020. Thanks! And if I need to post this elsewhere please let me know!

I’ve been trying for a long time to get straight answers from advisors everywhere and it’s never happened so I’m really hoping this site can help give me some direction on how I’m doing in preparing for my application.

Post this in the What are my chances thread. You will get more help there in regards to what you might need to improve on and whatnot

Reactions: 1 users
So coming from students who were accepted to K-State, could I post my stats and get feedback on what you personally think? I've spoken to an Assistant Dean on the campus and took a 1 on 1 tour, but I'm kind of freaking out here because of my GRE scores (quantitative). I'm retaking it on the 15th but still...

Science GPA: 3.41
Last 45 credits GPA: 3.42
LOR- (1) Bio Professer, (1) DVM, (1) Medical Proffessional, and two more professors pending
Hours: Non animal volunteer (200), Vet Experience (765), Animal Experience (9,340)
GRE: Q(46%), V(69%), A (59%)

I feel overall it seems like a very average GPA and LOR (although all three should be great), Hours are okay, I wish I had more Vet Experience (I've read some people have up to 3000!) and the GRE, well...it sucks.

Feedback?

So coming from students who were accepted to K-State, could I post my stats and get feedback on what you personally think? I've spoken to an Assistant Dean on the campus and took a 1 on 1 tour, but I'm kind of freaking out here because of my GRE scores (quantitative). I'm retaking it on the 15th but still...

Science GPA: 3.41
Last 45 credits GPA: 3.42
LOR- (1) Bio Professer, (1) DVM, (1) Medical Proffessional, and two more professors pending
Hours: Non animal volunteer (200), Vet Experience (765), Animal Experience (9,340)
GRE: Q(46%), V(69%), A (59%)

I feel overall it seems like a very average GPA and LOR (although all three should be great), Hours are okay, I wish I had more Vet Experience (I've read some people have up to 3000!) and the GRE, well...it sucks.

Feedback?

Where does your experience lie? What really helped my application was the variety of work I had done. (Internships at a zoo and aquarium, Emergency work, and 2 small animal practices)

My GRE scores were around the 49% tile (so not great) and my GPA were similar to yours. As long as your LORs are good then I do not see you have too much of an issue getting an interview.

Where does your experience lie? What really helped my application was the variety of work I had done. (Internships at a zoo and aquarium, Emergency work, and 2 small animal practices)

My GRE scores were around the 49% tile (so not great) and my GPA were similar to yours. As long as your LORs are good then I do not see you have too much of an issue getting an interview.

Well my direct vet experience has been with a local small animal clinic with a veterinarian I have developed a great mentor relationship, the other animal experience ranges from 4H involvement, volunteering at a shelter, working (managing) an exotic ranch for a few years and growing up on a small dairy (estimated my hours pretty conservatively, specifically started estimating hours when I was actively involved in medicating ,breeding ,birthing, emergency care, ect). While my clinical work under a veterinarian is not varied, I have been able to be pretty involved in the clinic I am at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we still have to write a personal statement for Kansas State? I saw in the "Program Materials" section of the VMCAS that we need to upload a personal statement and resume? Can anyone confirm that that's correct? Thanks!

Does anyone know if we still have to write a personal statement for Kansas State? I saw in the "Program Materials" section of the VMCAS that we need to upload a personal statement and resume? Can anyone confirm that that's correct? Thanks!

What other schools are you applying to? Last year on VMCAS, I had to upload resume and personal statement in the general section, but Kansas did not have a separate section for essays. That was one reason I applied to Kansas was there were not any essays as it was a last minute decision to apply to this school.

What other schools are you applying to? Last year on VMCAS, I had to upload resume and personal statement in the general section, but Kansas did not have a separate section for essays. That was one reason I applied to Kansas was there were not any essays as it was a last minute decision to apply to this school.
I have it showing up in just the Kansas state section as well, not the general one.

I assumed that we did since it was specifically under their section but I sent an email to see because I just wanted to make sure, but I haven’t heard back yet.

I have it showing up in just the Kansas state section as well, not the general one.

Hm, I do not remember having to write a personal statement. One of the reasons I choose to apply for Kansas was no essays.

Hm, I do not remember having to write a personal statement. One of the reasons I choose to apply for Kansas was no essays.
It's possible they've changed things up since Dr. Elmore retired and Dr. Rost is now associate dean of admissions! Back when I applied, K-State's supplemental was a paper form I had to mail in, so I'm no help. :laugh:

@dolphin106258 If you haven't gotten an answer yet you might try calling, orientation for the c/o 2022 is this week so I'm sure things are busy over there.

It's possible they've changed things up since Dr. Elmore retired and Dr. Rost is now associate dean of admissions! Back when I applied, K-State's supplemental was a paper form I had to mail in, so I'm no help. :laugh:
Yo that was the same last year. Had to mail it with an official sealed copy of every transcript and an unofficial gre report. Also money.

Yo that was the same last year. Had to mail it with an official sealed copy of every transcript and an unofficial gre report. Also money.

Same as mine! There were not any essays or anything, just a supplemental application and an additional check to them!

Third time applying to k-state, and third time applying overall. I've interviewed the past two years. Got rejected my first year, and waitlisted my second. Third times the charm #amiright

Third time applying to k-state, and third time applying overall. I've interviewed the past two years. Got rejected my first year, and waitlisted my second. Third times the charm #amiright
I assume you did a file review so you can improve and KNOCK IT OUT OF THE PARK this year???????? Rootin for ya!!!

For those applying, did you upload a CV and a resume? I wasn’t sure if the CV/Resume meant either or.

I assume you did a file review so you can improve and KNOCK IT OUT OF THE PARK this year???????? Rootin for ya!!!
Yeah I did! And I worked on the things they advised me to improve on (mainly GPA) and my application is 100x stronger lol thank you!!

For those applying, did you upload a CV and a resume? I wasn’t sure if the CV/Resume meant either or.
I assumed it meant either or but funny thing at the school I’m taking some classes at they are a really great animal science program, and they’re having Kansas state come talk, and the people applying this cycle (aka me) get to have lunch with them and talk/ask questions. So I can definitely get clarification from them directly just to be sure.

Also I’m just super excited maybe vet schools do this all the time, but I never had anything like this at my actual undergrad so I’m super excited. :prof:

Does anyone have any advice on writing a CV? I've never written one before, so I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Also, due to my husband being in the military I attended several colleges during my undergraduate career, do I list every school attended or just the one I earned my degree from? Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice on writing a CV? I've never written one before, so I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Also, due to my husband being in the military I attended several colleges during my undergraduate career, do I list every school attended or just the one I earned my degree from? Thanks

I'm no expert at this, but...CVs are generally expected to be less truncated than a resume, so you could in theory, but I'd vote no. Unless you have a really short CV and want to scrape out a few extra lines, what does that really add? What degree and where it was conferred from is the most important part. A vet school or grad school application will have all that information from VMCAS/transcripts/application packet, and if a job cared about it beyond the what and where of your degree they'd ask.

I'm no expert at this, but...CVs are generally expected to be less truncated than a resume, so you could in theory, but I'd vote no. Unless you have a really short CV and want to scrape out a few extra lines, what does that really add? What degree and where it was conferred from is the most important part. A vet school or grad school application will have all that information from VMCAS/transcripts/application packet, and if a job cared about it beyond the what and where of your degree they'd ask.
Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you and I only put the school I got my degree from. Thanks again.

How did you guys feel about the 500 word count limit on the personal statement? Pretty restrictive.
Too long in my opinion since we already wrote over 700 or so words for the three essays for VMCAS. It is supposed to tell them why you are a unique applicant. You already should have talked about that some in those essays.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile

This is my first time doing one, but my impression was that a personal statement is more of a narrative about what has led you to where you are now, maybe an anecdote or two, and it was hard for me to do it in 500. In my VMCAS essays I really spent more effort addressing the specific question asked. Hopefully they like what I was able to fit in anyway!

This is my first time doing one, but my impression was that a personal statement is more of a narrative about what has led you to where you are now, maybe an anecdote or two, and it was hard for me to do it in 500. In my VMCAS essays I really spent more effort addressing the specific question asked. Hopefully they like what I was able to fit in anyway!
This is what Kansas State specifically said about it in their email to VMCAS applicants: "The personal statement has a 500 word limit. Use the personal statement to let the Admissions Committee learn about you and what makes you a unique candidate for admission to KSU CVM."
Thus, I am using it to say what makes me a unique applicant.

Hey everybody, I know how much these threads helped during my application cycle , so I thought I'd hop in a see how everyone is doing. I'm currently a 1st year at Kansas state, and an ambassador, so if you get an interview, it's likely I'll see you :)

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll try to periodically check SDN.

Hey everybody, I know how much these threads helped during my application cycle , so I thought I'd hop in a see how everyone is doing. I'm currently a 1st year at Kansas state, and an ambassador, so if you get an interview, it's likely I'll see you :)

I'm sure this has been asked and answered somewhere, but since you're here -- are interview invites rolling, or are they sent out all at once? If the latter, do you know approximately when?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered somewhere, but since you're here -- are interview invites rolling, or are they sent out all at once? If the latter, do you know approximately when?
They’re somewhat rolling. They have I think 3 interview weekends and I heard back for the ~6th of January around thanksgiving. They have one just before Christmas too so they’d hear sooner. And then the third round of interviews they hear back a little after thanksgiving, but I’m almost positive still before Christmas break. And then you’ll hear back a decision by 6 weeks after your interview.

There are usually 2 interview dates for In-state applicants and 2 interview dates for out-of-state applicants. Last year I heard back around Thanksgiving for my interview the 1st week of January. I then got my acceptance the 1st week of February.

There are usually 2 interview dates for In-state applicants and 2 interview dates for out-of-state applicants. Last year I heard back around Thanksgiving for my interview the 1st week of January. I then got my acceptance the 1st week of February.
Its not only IS and OOS on one specific weekend. It may be MORE IS on that december weekend and MORE OOS on the two january weekends, but I know some people on here who were OOS and interviewed in December and I definitely met a couple ISers who interviewed in january.

I'm a third year ambassador! I'm pretty sure I know who you are based on your username. :ninja:

Ski pretty much covered the general timing, 3 years ago I got my interview invite on November 12th for a December 20th interview. This year there are 2 interview weekends (in past years there were 3), the dates are December 15th-16th and January 3rd-4th. Usually the Saturday of the December weekend is mostly in-state interviews, but there are some OOS interviews the December weekend as well, especially on Sunday. Note that we have a new dean of admissions this year, so some things might be different than in previous years!

So are they interviewing a third less people or still same number just all in those two weekends?? Do you happen to know? :laugh:
I think the latter but I'm not sure! When they were talking last semester about going down to 2 weekends I think the reasoning was to make it easier on the interviewers and us ambassadors, both weekends are during our winter break so that helps. I'm guessing the plan is to interview the same amount of people as usual and just have more interview rooms going at once, but I could be totally wrong.

I think the latter but I'm not sure! When they were talking last semester about going down to 2 weekends I think the reasoning was to make it easier on the interviewers and us ambassadors, both weekends are during our winter break so that helps. I'm guessing the plan is to interview the same amount of people as usual and just have more interview rooms going at once, but I could be totally wrong.
That’s what I figured they’d do but wasn’t sure. I know some schools do only do interviews on one weekend or, if they’re crazy enough like Illinois, one day. :laugh:

Thanks, friends!

Again, probably already asked/stated somewhere along the line, but - is there an academic cutoff you need to pass before your application is passed onto the admissions committee? Do academics still come into play once you are granted an interview?

Thanks, friends!

Again, probably already asked/stated somewhere along the line, but - is there an academic cutoff you need to pass before your application is passed onto the admissions committee? Do academics still come into play once you are granted an interview?
I think there is a GPA cutoff before you get offered an interview, but I don't know what that number is, I think it changes from year to year!

How did you guys feel about the 500 word count limit on the personal statement? Pretty restrictive.
I didn't realise there was a word limit until I had written two pages and went back to review the criteria lol. So I had to go back and chop up quite a bit until I had about 600 words, I ended up calling the office and making sure that wouldn't disqualify me.

How is your first year treating you? Also, how is an ambassador work if you are in your first year? Is that similar to the class officers I have read about?