Kaplan FL vs. AAMC FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychotropic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I was wondering what you guys think about the relative difficulties of the Kaplan FLs and the AAMCs. I'm a Kaplan Online student and I haven't taken any AAMC tests yet. I understand a lot of posters might feel the PS in Kaplan is harder than what we should expect (I mean missing over 20 and still getting an 11?) but what about VR and BS?

At this point, I've only had two opportunities to take Kaplan FLs (1 and 5) and I'm OK with my scores, but I am really usnure as to whether or not it will be indicative of my real score. (does 11 on Kaplan PS really indicate 11 on real thing ?etc.) With less than 2 weeks left, should take more Kapaln FLs, or try to get my hands on some AAMC tests? Thanks for any and all insight/comments/advice.

Best of luck with studying for this crazy test. I think you'll all do great! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

well for what it is worth I am a Kaplan classroom student, (in retrospect i should have done the online thing since the online lectures are more efficient) and i have supplemented my kaplan practice tests with AAMC practice tests. Though the raw scores are markedly different, my scaled score usually comes out about the same. I have gotten all 11's on kaplan bios and aamc's, and all 11's on kaplan physicals and an occasional 12 on aamc. The verbal is a different story. I usually get one point higher on kaplan verbal than aamc. AAMC verbal takes some getting used to as their questions are a different style from kaplan. you should take aamcs just to see they level of difficulty of questions you will be faced with on test day. hope that helps

allennh said:
well for what it is worth I am a Kaplan classroom student, (in retrospect i should have done the online thing since the online lectures are more efficient) and i have supplemented my kaplan practice tests with AAMC practice tests. Though the raw scores are markedly different, my scaled score usually comes out about the same. I have gotten all 11's on kaplan bios and aamc's, and all 11's on kaplan physicals and an occasional 12 on aamc. The verbal is a different story. I usually get one point higher on kaplan verbal than aamc. AAMC verbal takes some getting used to as their questions are a different style from kaplan. you should take aamcs just to see they level of difficulty of questions you will be faced with on test day. hope that helps

I tend to hit 11's on Kaplan PS and 13's on AAMC. They are totally different.

did anyone think kaplan #7 was ridiculously hard? or was it just me... feeling miserable...

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone else find the kaplan scale to be messed up?

i remember getting ~70% on PS, and getting a 13 or 14, ridiculous...

YES!! The verbal wasn't bad, but the Bio kicked my butt...and I ROCK at bio!!

I had a post earlier about FL7... I found it to be tricky/hard... fortunately I made some educated guesses and got away with relatively few mistakes in the passages on which I really had no idea how to do. I definitely found it harder than the previous Kaplan FL's I've taken thus far. There was one passage on VR where I got 3/6 wrong, and another passage in BS (I think it was organic extraction) where I got like 4/6 wrong. It was pretty rough as those passages could have been way worse (i.e. 5/6 wrong). Also, PS was a very calculation-intensive section, at least in my opinion.

=(

Kaplan Diagnostic: 19 (6 6 7)
Kaplan FL #1: 25 (8 9 8)

AAMC #3: 25 (8 9 8)

i just took the first aamc test kaplan gives me..which is #3..and i got the exact same score from my first kaplan full length--which i got 2 weeks ago. agh i'm super bummed.God I thought AAMC tests were supposed to make me feel better. lol

I've been studying physics and chem only for a week because I was going to focus on one section at a time. So I was expecting a high score for PS and about the same scores for V and BS.

Anyway, I have about 3 weeks left. I'm hoping to raise my score to a 30-ish.
Do yall think that's even possible?

=(

Kaplan Diagnostic: 19 (6 6 7)
Kaplan FL #1: 25 (8 9 8)

AAMC #3: 25 (8 9 8)

i just took the first aamc test kaplan gives me..which is #3..and i got the exact same score from my first kaplan full length--which i got 2 weeks ago. agh i'm super bummed.God I thought AAMC tests were supposed to make me feel better. lol

I've been studying physics and chem only for a week because I was going to focus on one section at a time. So I was expecting a high score for PS and about the same scores for V and BS.

Anyway, I have about 3 weeks left. I'm hoping to raise my score to a 30-ish.
Do yall think that's even possible?

You can do it. You've already made great improvements in your score since your diagnostic. Now you just need to take it to the next level. Keep studying your content and take lots of practice exams in the next two weeks. Just keep working hard and you will achieve your goals!

i just had a question about the kaplan fl tests everyone is talking about. i was wondering where i could buy them or do you need to take the class to get them. also, are there old and new versions of these tests?

all of the above??? you can purchase access to the kaplan qbank via their website for 199 though i am not sure what they have there. old versions are along the lines of the old mcat, longer and paper/pencil. new version simulate the cbt format. i only have the old longer version...all 11 fl they had with answers but not the conversion from raw numbers to score.