KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was more just curious, I thought it would be something we could view on 360 like normal class rank.
Yeah I was hoping the same thing. I would imagine it's difficult with different people taking different shelfs at different times though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi KCU kids, it's me again with my random questions. This time it involves rotations. What are thoughts on michigan sites? Also, are some sites more filled with random peoples like NP/PA? Thanks.

Hi KCU kids, it's me again with my random questions. This time it involves rotations. What are thoughts on michigan sites? Also, are some sites more filled with random peoples like NP/PA? Thanks.

I heard the Michigan sites are awful. You shouldn't even try to go there. Definitely don't rank them. They're run by PAs and there is a daily Bone Wizards Lightning round that is 2 hours of mandatory OMM and you have to do a presentation on OMM history and philosophy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the Michigan sites are awful. You shouldn't even try to go there. Definitely don't rank them. They're run by PAs and there is a daily Bone Wizards Lightning round that is 2 hours of mandatory OMM and you have to do a presentation on OMM history and philosophy.

Awesome, I am actually really good at presenting OMM history and philosophy... the PA stuff has me worried though...

Hi everyone! I'm currently a first-year at KCU and I would appreciate your advice on how to get through next semester.

This past semester, I consistently have scored ~ 10-20% below class average in our courses. Even though I have improved my study strategies, I can't seem to get through the material fast enough. For ex., in prep for our last Neuro exam, I was going through all the premade Anki flashcards in the Google Drive and while that helped me with memorizing and understanding the material, I had to rush through many cards toward the end and the whole process was time-consuming. We also had a lot going on during those weeks for ECOS (PCM + OS combined). I skipped out on watching lectures and labs when it came closer to the exam. I did practice questions, but only had enough time to do them right before the exam. In the end, I still scored below average for our final Neuro exam.

Even for a more straightforward class like ECOS, I also did flashcards and some practice questions starting 2 weeks before the exam, but still scored below average. I know it's not good to compare, but I feel like I am falling behind relative to my other classmates.

I'm worried that I won't be able to pass my other classes, which will affect my ability to move on to 2nd year. I was wondering if you guys had advice on how to best cover the material within a limited amount of time. Thank you!

Hi everyone! I'm currently a first-year at KCU and I would appreciate your advice on how to get through next semester.

This past semester, I consistently have scored ~ 10-20% below class average in our courses. Even though I have improved my study strategies, I can't seem to get through the material fast enough. For ex., in prep for our last Neuro exam, I was going through all the premade Anki flashcards in the Google Drive and while that helped me with memorizing and understanding the material, I had to rush through many cards toward the end and the whole process was time-consuming. We also had a lot going on during those weeks for ECOS (PCM + OS combined). I skipped out on watching lectures and labs when it came closer to the exam. I did practice questions, but only had enough time to do them right before the exam. In the end, I still scored below average for our final Neuro exam.

Even for a more straightforward class like ECOS, I also did flashcards and some practice questions starting 2 weeks before the exam, but still scored below average. I know it's not good to compare, but I feel like I am falling behind relative to my other classmates.

I'm worried that I won't be able to pass my other classes, which will affect my ability to move on to 2nd year. I was wondering if you guys had advice on how to best cover the material within a limited amount of time. Thank you!
You likely need to try to cover more cards every day if you are going to stick with Anki. I never used that and did fine briefly watching lectures, then reviewing the anatomy/physiology and relevant pathology they mentioned. Find what works best for you, none of us can tell you that. It's been a while since any of us have been in 1st year, so you are likely better off asking a 2nd year.

Reactions: 1 users

I was in your shoes score wise. ended up in the bottom 20% of the class preclinical wise. PCM and OS were a bane of existence for me. I often worked super hard on them but ate trash on the exam.

I switched to zanki for second year and started to do way better, and got a 231 on step and 523 on comlex. Currently doing really well on my shelfs too. I don't say this all to brag or anything, just to show that there are some of us that have been in your position and with hard work end up doing well on boards and everything else. things come together eventually. If you are not actively in danger of failing, I would say keep doing what you are doing with minor tweaks. Maybe spend more time on LOs, maybe invest more time in anatomy practicals. feel free to PM me if you want to talk more

You either need to revamp how you're doing anki or ditch it. I think quizlet is an easier interface and if you or you and some friends make quizlet decks you can all contribute and share them. I was bottom 20-25% pre clinical, but top 30-35% in clinical grades and did well (22x/24x, 5xx/6xx) on boards. Just figure out how YOU best learn and ditch the extraneous resources which is admittedly difficult to do as a pre clinical student. I'd suggest using ONLY boards & beyond (watch lectures on 1.5x speed then watch the relevant B&B videos) and either quizlet/anki if you want to do flash cards. Make sure you draw things out for physiology and anatomy. Use Sketchy when you get to that weird end of year 1 course with all the micro and pharm, buy pathoma and get through it for each systems path block ON TOP OF the material school gives you, start doing USMLE Rx questions the first semester of 2nd year (you will miss the majority of them and that's okay, use them as a way to relearn/learn board material), get through uworld starting second semester of second year and if you like the visual learning of sketchy consider getting pixorize which was a HUGE boost for me remembering weird genetic diseases. You got this! We all felt inadequate at multiple points throughout med school so just do some trial and error and you'll find your groove.

if Anki is helping you retain info, I would stick with it but change your "schedule". You guys lucked out with the premade lecture specific decks for everything which we didn't have last year. Try dividing the new cards for the block up to a week before the test and do that many new/day while watching lectures/learning anatomy. Then you get a week of just review cards and time to cram the topics you suck at. I have been using the above method since MOD and I wish I studied like this earlier as it frees up so much time. As for ECOS stuff, honestly I have accepted the fact that I will always suck at KCU's horribly written exams. Just pass and don't worry about it until the OS cram session everyone does for COMLEX lol.

If it makes you feel better, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. MOD and 2nd year in general is much easier to streamline. I haven't watched most of the school lectures this year and depend on board prep stuff/pre-made Anki cards and consistently score 10+ above the average. I honestly never even got an A on a test as an M1 and managed to pull a few this year. Not trying to brag or whatever since I royally sucked as a first year, but I'm just saying you can turn it around. Your performance as an M1 does not indicate your future performance in 2nd year and beyond.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much to everyone! This gives me hope for a better semester!

PM me if you want informationbut the michigan site is literally the best site that KCU has. the person above was being sarcastic.

• Haha
PM me if you want informationbut the michigan site is literally the best site that KCU has. the person above was being sarcastic.

Lol i know he was. Unfort, Michigan seems popular this year. A lot of DME/RAD letters.

Thank you so much to everyone! This gives me hope for a better semester!
Do as many practice questions as you can! You can use any qbanks, such as Rx, Kaplan, Uworld or Amboss. Doing questions is the best way/ fast way to increase your scores at the exam. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Do as many practice questions as you can! You can use any qbanks, such as Rx, Kaplan, Uworld or Amboss. Doing questions is the best way/ fast way to increase your scores at the exam. Good luck!

Thank you! :)

Soooo....what do we do when a preceptor hasn't filled out our eval in months and won't reply to any of our emails? I'm genuinely concerned.

Soooo....what do we do when a preceptor hasn't filled out our eval in months and won't reply to any of our emails? I'm genuinely concerned.
This is why I always bring in a paper eval the Monday of the last week of a rotation and have the attending fill it out real quick or let them know I need it back Wednesday. Unless you did that and they still haven’t gotten back to you, go find them and have them sign it. Or text/call them.

This is why I always bring in a paper eval the Monday of the last week of a rotation and have the attending fill it out real quick or let them know I need it back Wednesday. Unless you did that and they still haven’t gotten back to you, go find them and have them sign it. Or text/call them.
I may start doing that honestly, or just asking them to check their email in front of me and remind them I need it done ASAP. So in this case do they do both the paper eval and the online eval for you and you just hold on to the paper one until you see the online one has been submitted? Or just tell them not to worry about the online one and you just send in the paper one?

I haven't shown up yet with a paper one. I have to figure out their schedule (not in clinic every day and I don't remember which days they are). I'm also busy on another rotation so it'll be kind of hard to do. I've sent multiple emails and have sent a text as well: nothing.

Last edited:
Lol rookie mistake. Definitely always bring a paper eval and watch it get filled out right in front of you. That way they can also give you feedback and generally address any issues right on the spot. I already graduated but I liked how our coordinator described these evals “think of it like it’s your pay cheque for the work you put in that month” resonated nicely with me

I may start doing that honestly, or just asking them to check their email in front of me and remind them I need it done ASAP. So in this case do they do both the paper eval and the online eval for you and you just hold on to the paper one until you see the online one has been submitted? Or just tell them not to worry about the online one and you just send in the paper one?

I haven't shown up yet with a paper one. I have to figure out their schedule (not in clinic every day and I don't remember which days they are). I'm also busy on another rotation so it'll be kind of hard to do. I've sent multiple emails and have sent a text as well: nothing.
If it's any consolation, I haven't seen one person bring in a paper eval this year lol. I did not realize that was standard practice.

If it's any consolation, I haven't seen one person bring in a paper eval this year lol. I did not realize that was standard practice.
Depends on the core site I guess? Idk, it's just infinitely easier/quicker to hand them a paper eval and have them fill it out right then instead of emailing it to them where they can "get to it later".

If any of you guys rotated at Centura, can you PM me please? Thanks!

ya I had no idea we could do this. I’m on my last in person rotation tho so definitely not changing my ways now haha.

I did have 1 preceptor 3rd year that took like 3 months to do my eval. No response to emails or anything. It eventually magically got done. I just emailed my coordinator telling her all the effort I put in to trying to make contact & she must have done something to make it happen or the preceptor finally checked their email; no clue; was definitely annoying AF tho & would have been mitigated with an in-person paper eval.

as Dr. Dobson would say, "hello my friends in the Class of 2021!" wishing you huge congratulations on finishing your time at our prestigious institution and I sincerely hope that the outcome of the match was all you hoped it would be, or at the very least something you can live with. I'm super thankful to have had folks in the upper classes make themselves available to questions on here--your guidance has been much appreciated.

I was curious, after adding up the KCU match list, what happened to the rest of the class? Do some people simply opt out of publishing their residency outcomes? Based off of NecFasc's post here there were 276 students who matched. I thought this was the year for Joplin's inaugural match, so shouldn't the number be closer to ~430? I understand there is always some attrition, but the numbers seem off. Please let me know what I am missing!

as Dr. Dobson would say, "hello my friends in the Class of 2021!" wishing you huge congratulations on finishing your time at our prestigious institution and I sincerely hope that the outcome of the match was all you hoped it would be, or at the very least something you can live with. I'm super thankful to have had folks in the upper classes make themselves available to questions on here--your guidance has been much appreciated.

I was curious, after adding up the KCU match list, what happened to the rest of the class? Do some people simply opt out of publishing their residency outcomes? Based off of NecFasc's post here there were 276 students who matched. I thought this was the year for Joplin's inaugural match, so shouldn't the number be closer to ~430? I understand there is always some attrition, but the numbers seem off. Please let me know what I am missing!
KCU 4th year here. According to KCU360 our cohort is 363 total for both campuses. KCU sends us a survey before match if we want to release our match for their youtube video. Some people just dont do it. I watched the video and there were 49 that kept it confidential. I personally know that 11 of those did match so 38 either didnt match or match but didnt do the survey.

Thanks for the info! Was the inaugural class at Joplin 162?

Thanks for the info! Was the inaugural class at Joplin 162?
When you have a class size as large as KCU's with 2 campuses, there are inevitably a lot of people who take LOAs, remediate, take research years, do the anatomy fellowship/OMM fellowship/path fellowship. I think the KCU campus had around 35 people less at the end of 2nd year and joplin had like 10 less. I know a lot of people who took a research year because of the uncertainty of the 2021 match and I think the raw number looks worse than the reality.

When you have a class size as large as KCU's with 2 campuses, there are inevitably a lot of people who take LOAs, remediate, take research years, do the anatomy fellowship/OMM fellowship/path fellowship. I think the KCU campus had around 35 people less at the end of 2nd year and joplin had like 10 less. I know a lot of people who took a research year because of the uncertainty of the 2021 match and I think the raw number looks worse than the reality.
any word on what the placement rate is?

How bad does it look if you don't honor the rotation/shelf exam for the field you want to go into? I'm planning on applying IM, but have been struggling to find time to study on this rotation and the amount of material is just so much for this test. I've been doing uworld and doing pretty average. Have like a week left to try to do well on the exam but seriously doubting I can honor it. Any advice is appreciated for my one week cram session.

I haven't honored a single rotation so far and i'm kind of disappointed in myself. How much does it matter and how bad does it look to only have all "passing"? I've been struggling to study with rotations all year. My board scores are step 1 mid 235 and comlex 600+. I have three more shelf exams left including this IM one, hoping to try to honor them.

How bad does it look if you don't honor the rotation/shelf exam for the field you want to go into? I'm planning on applying IM, but have been struggling to find time to study on this rotation and the amount of material is just so much for this test. I've been doing uworld and doing pretty average. Have like a week left to try to do well on the exam but seriously doubting I can honor it. Any advice is appreciated for my one week cram session.

I haven't honored a single rotation so far and i'm kind of disappointed in myself. How much does it matter and how bad does it look to only have all "passing"? I've been struggling to study with rotations all year. My board scores are step 1 mid 235 and comlex 600+. I have three more shelf exams left including this IM one, hoping to try to honor them.
Can’t say specifically for IM, but boards are more important in general.

Didn’t honor my EM shelf and matched my number 1 and got 27 invites. But I did honor my SLOE (EM audition).

At KcU honor it’s totally determined by your shelf score. Have to get a 112+ (90%ile).
I know that’s how it is for core rotations, but is that how it is for auditions/electives in fourth year as well? So there are shelf exams for each audition? Like you said you honored the SLOE but not the shelf for EM

I know that’s how it is for core rotations, but is that how it is for auditions/electives in fourth year as well? So there are shelf exams for each audition? Like you said you honored the SLOE but not the shelf for EM
Oh no. For audtions the program determines honors (for EM). You are ranked against all other students that rotated last year as either being bottom 1/3, middle 1/3, top 1/3, top 10% (Honors). And you don’t actually know what you get Bc you’re blinded to the sloe. We had EM questions banks and some other stuff that factored into our rotation “grade” but ultimately in EM it’s your clinical performance that determines it.

If you're not applying EM, you cannot honor auditions/electives in fourth year at KCU. Even if you do honor an EM audition per your SLOE, it will still only show up as a pass (unless you honor the shelf) at KCU. The last shelf exam you take will likely be your EM one unless you did EM 3rd year. There are no shelfs in 4th year.

Last edited:
Can confirm, also A's throughout 2nd year here solely reading the outlines multiple times + Zanki/lolnotacop + Pathoma + Sketchy. Have never once opened a single Putthoff or Dobson lecture or powerpoint.
Just letting you all know that as an MS1 about to go into MOD, discovering this thread has been a gold mine and I can't thank all of you enough for the advice

Just letting you all know that as an MS1 about to go into MOD, discovering this thread has been a gold mine and I can't thank all of you enough for the advice
KCU gets soooooo much better in 2nd year and beyond. Congrats on almost being done with hell!

KCU gets soooooo much better in 2nd year and beyond. Congrats on almost being done with hell!
So I hear, I'm really excited to just be able to do zanki/anking + pathoma/sketchy/BnB and forget about making class specific decks like I have been for first year

So I hear, I'm really excited to just be able to do zanki/anking + pathoma/sketchy/BnB and forget about making class specific decks like I have been for first year

You guys also don't have to worry about grades since everything is pass/fail now i hear! Lucky!

Yay! Best of luck!

I wanted to ask what qbanks would be smart to start working through alongside Pathoma and Zanki during MOD. Would Rx, Uworld, or Kaplan be a good qbank alongside the Robbins review questions?

I wanted to ask what qbanks would be smart to start working through alongside Pathoma and Zanki during MOD. Would Rx, Uworld, or Kaplan be a good qbank alongside the Robbins review questions?
Q banks are useless in first year IMO. Just use the robbins review book in the library. you'll be fine. The first MOD exam has some of the highest averages of the whole year

Reactions: 3 users

Watch sketchy and do the relevant anki cards for the second (?) test. The one with all the micro on it.

If you're not applying EM, you cannot honor auditions/electives in fourth year at KCU. Even if you do honor an EM audition per your SLOE, it will still only show up as a pass (unless you honor the shelf) at KCU. The last shelf exam you take will likely be your EM one unless you did EM 3rd year. There are no shelfs in 4th year.

Can also confirm. I honored all of my audition rotations in 4th year & the evals verbatim said "blah blah blah NF received honors on our rotation blah blah blah" & KCU doesn't give AF. Comments mean nothing to them, which absolutely blows my mind. I can't imagine it looks good to "P" an audition for a specialty you're going into right before application season. And programs have to go through so many applications that they don't have the time of day to try to think about why you wouldn't honor in the specialty into which you're applying, they - I would assume at higher-tier places - probably just toss your app in the trash. In specialties without core rotations with an official COMAT (rads, ophtho, ortho, derm, etc.) it absolutely blows.

Additionally, in the KCU MSPE, it doesn't mention anywhere that we are only granted honors if we sit for a COMAT & that none of our preceptor feedback contributes to honoring. It says nothing about having to score >90th percentile. It says nothing about NOT being allowed to honor away rotations. It literally doesn't explain our grading system ANYWHERE. It does quote your class rank (both pre-clinical & clinical) which helps (if you're in the top 10%, maybe?), but it's buried so far deep in that MSPE that I wonder if programs actually see it.

This is my biggest pet peeve from my experience at KCU. This approach does nothing but hinder students, especially when students from other schools can score average on a COMAT & still honor their overall rotation because their preceptor decided to mark "exceeded expectations" all the way down their eval just to get it over with.

Alright I'm done. Other than that ya clinical rotations are fun (especially 4th year.) Much better than hitting the space bar hundreds of times/day & watching cartoons 12 hours/day 7 days/week.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Can also confirm. I honored all of my audition rotations in 4th year & the evals verbatim said "blah blah blah NF received honors on our rotation blah blah blah" & KCU doesn't give AF. Comments mean nothing to them, which absolutely blows my mind. I can't imagine it looks good to "P" an audition for a specialty you're going into right before application season. And programs have to go through so many applications that they don't have the time of day to try to think about why you wouldn't honor in the specialty into which you're applying, they - I would assume at higher-tier places - probably just toss your app in the trash. In specialties without core rotations with an official COMAT (rads, ophtho, ortho, derm, etc.) it absolutely blows.

Additionally, in the KCU MSPE, it doesn't mention anywhere that we are only granted honors if we sit for a COMAT & that none of our preceptor feedback contributes to honoring. It says nothing about having to score >90th percentile. It says nothing about NOT being allowed to honor away rotations. It literally doesn't explain our grading system ANYWHERE. It does quote your class rank (both pre-clinical & clinical) which helps (if you're in the top 10%, maybe?), but it's buried so far deep in that MSPE that I wonder if programs actually see it.

This is my biggest pet peeve from my experience at KCU. This approach does nothing but hinder students, especially when students from other schools can score average on a COMAT & still honor their overall rotation because their preceptor decided to mark "exceeded expectations" all the way down their eval just to get it over with.

Alright I'm done. Other than that ya clinical rotations are fun (especially 4th year.) Much better than hitting the space bar hundreds of times/day & watching cartoons 12 hours/day 7 days/week.
This is also my biggest pet peeve with KCU. I chose to do IM subspecialties for my electives in M3 since I want to IM, and it stresses me out that I'll only get a 'P' in those since I physically can't honor them, despite my eval for one saying I was one of the best students they've had and function as an intern etc. All it does is hinder students. Like if they want to make it solely based on the COMAT for rotations that have one, fine. But there should be a way to honor electives/sub-Is.

This is also my biggest pet peeve with KCU. I chose to do IM subspecialties for my electives in M3 since I want to IM, and it stresses me out that I'll only get a 'P' in those since I physically can't honor them, despite my eval for one saying I was one of the best students they've had and function as an intern etc. All it does is hinder students. Like if they want to make it solely based on the COMAT for rotations that have one, fine. But there should be a way to honor electives/sub-Is.
Lol remember at the townhall when a Dean was saying how KCU Dean's letters are just the best thing since sliced bread and someone spoke up and told him that several PDs had said they suck?

• Haha
Lol remember at the townhall when a Dean was saying how KCU Dean's letters are just the best thing since sliced bread and someone spoke up and told him that several PDs had said they suck?
That is hilarious hahaha