KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol remember at the townhall when a Dean was saying how KCU Dean's letters are just the best thing since sliced bread and someone spoke up and told him that several PDs had said they suck?

I'm so sad that I completely missed that

Members don't see this ad.

Lol remember at the townhall when a Dean was saying how KCU Dean's letters are just the best thing since sliced bread and someone spoke up and told him that several PDs had said they suck?

They have multiple authors & the best part is, when you read it through, you can clearly tell when one author stops & the next begins. It's like someone copied/pasted two separate coherent, but completely unrelated thoughts together. There were also multiple spelling errors in mine.

I had to edit it my MSPE to make it flow better & ran it through Grammarly (it's FREE homies; def take advantage for all important writing you have) to catch the couple spelling errors. Also they said I was applying to internal medicine programs at one point so I asked them to please change that. Lol.

Needless to say, sliced bread I'm sure is sleeping sound at night knowing KCU dean's letters pale in comparison.

Has anyone rotated at ascension via Christi in Wichita? If so, how was the site and do they have residencies associated with the hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone rotated at ascension via Christi in Wichita? If so, how was the site and do they have residencies associated with the hospital?
Haven't rotated there but my big had good things to say about their experience and working with the FM residents. you might find this useful:

Reactions: 1 user
Haven't rotated there but my big had good things to say about their experience and working with the FM residents. you might find this useful:

Thank you! I’ll look more into it. It seems like it would be a good site, but I wanted to see if anyone had first hand experiences.

Thank you! I’ll look more into it. It seems like it would be a good site, but I wanted to see if anyone had first hand experiences.
sure, if no one replies here you can try facebook and might even email Valorie Millican to see if she can put you in touch with rising 4th years at the site. from what I heard from my big, it sounds like on of the better clerkship sites KCU has especially if you are interested in FM, full-spectrum FM and/or OB.

sure, if no one replies here you can try facebook and might even email Valorie Millican to see if she can put you in touch with rising 4th years at the site. from what I heard from my big, it sounds like on of the better clerkship sites KCU has especially if you are interested in FM, full-spectrum FM and/or OB.

You’re awesome. Thanks so much.

Sorry to revive this thread but I thought I'd ask the upperclassmen here, is GIGU2 really hard? The chapter 17 robbin's outline saying Dobson will screw us was not reassuring lol

• Haha
Sorry to revive this thread but I thought I'd ask the upperclassmen here, is GIGU2 really hard? The chapter 17 robbin's outline saying Dobson will screw us was not reassuring lol
Lmao I remember reading that. It’s hard but it’s not insane. just do all the pathoma and read the outline. I also watched all the Q&A lectures, like where the professors did practice questions and found them really helpful. Otherwise I didn’t really watch any lectures

Reactions: 1 users
Lmao I remember reading that. It’s hard but it’s not insane. just do all the pathoma and read the outline. I also watched all the Q&A lectures, like where the professors did practice questions and found them really helpful. Otherwise I didn’t really watch any lectures
I echo what Scwifty said. I never watched Dobson's lectures and did fine. Prolly missed a few obscure answers but still did pretty well on tests

It depends on how they do it, I remeber for the year before mine the exams were set up so the first one was path only, and the next exam was all the clinical med parts. so they bombed the crap outta the first exam, but then did way better on the second.

For ours it was a mix for both exam which made the averages way higher.

Our classes average for the GU path portion of our exam was like a 55% lol. def one of the hardest portions of med school content wise

It depends on how they do it, I remeber for the year before mine the exams were set up so the first one was path only, and the next exam was all the clinical med parts. so they bombed the crap outta the first exam, but then did way better on the second.

For ours it was a mix for both exam which made the averages way higher.

Our classes average for the GU path portion of our exam was like a 55% lol. def one of the hardest portions of med school content wise
Looks like both exams for us are a mix of pharm, clinical med, and path. Honestly I felt fine with the path until Dobson's 3 hour CIS today tanked my confidence so I'm doing another round of review over all his path. I think I got like a little over half right on the CIS which was super nerve wracking

Looks like both exams for us are a mix of pharm, clinical med, and path. Honestly I felt fine with the path until Dobson's 3 hour CIS today tanked my confidence so I'm doing another round of review over all his path. I think I got like a little over half right on the CIS which was super nerve wracking
I always felt like Dobsons CIS’s were hard compared to his test questions. But the CIS’s were pretty high yield, so just try and focus on the topics that he covered in there. I remember one time he gave us two questions that were nearly the same question stem from his CIS, but asked for a different answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone speak to their experience at the KC rotation sites? How many blocks did you have with residents or programs with residents?
The KC sites are incredibly variable so it's hard to give a straight answer. I had a couple of blocks with residents. This doesn't matter much since you can do whatever you want for fourth year, so all of my rotations so far have been with residents.

Does anyone have any experience submitting the appeals/financial letter to request a site?
Yes. I did both (personal and financial appeals). They were denied. Luckily I was able to swap sites with someone. There were people that owned homes and had children enrolled in schools in the area who were denied. I honestly don't think they even read a single appeal.

How much OMM is there in years 3/4 outside of COMLEX prep?
Barely any. There's 3 semesters (throughout M3 and then first semester of M4) of OMM quizzes online and you have to submit practice logs showing x amounts of treatments per semester.

Feels like yesterday I was sweating over the first upcoming biochem test. Today I submitted my residency apps. What a ride! Good luck everyone

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone speak to their experience at the KC rotation sites? How many blocks did you have with residents or programs with residents?

Does anyone have any experience submitting the appeals/financial letter to request a site?

Thanks
I can tell you a little about the Detroit/Ascension Macomb site. DM with questions or ask here. Here the inpatient blocks are mostly on services with residents--there are probably about a dozen residency programs here from EM to neuro to GS to urology. Busy hospital with a good amount of pathology. A few of the outpatient blocks may be mostly preceptor-based, like Family Medicine. Peds was a nice mix of the two. Myself and a few other students are compiling short info sheets about each rotation we are on here for future rotators.

Another good resource is to hit up your big and see if they can connect you with people at the sites you are curious about--I got a ton of info this way. If you are interested in a classic, MD-style 3rd year experience at a teaching hospital I would look closely at Michigan, Wichita and Richmond Indiana. I'm sure there are other decent sites as well but these stood out to me when I was planning my rank list.

Edit: it just occurred to me that you meant the rotation sites in Kansas City proper. Sorry. Will leave my comment for others.

Thanks
I submitted both letters for a non KC site and got in. I had friends who wrote strong letters to stay in KC and got denied and had other friends who didn't write any letters at all and got the KC site as their first choice. I really don't think they care about the letters for the KC site, especially since more people wrote letters for KC than there were spots available.

I haven't done any OMM third year so far (3 months in), I know we have like one OMM exam, a couple quizzes, and we have to turn in s form that says we actually did some OMM during third year, so really nothing like preclinicals lol.

I can tell you a little about the Detroit/Ascension Macomb site. DM with questions or ask here. Here the inpatient blocks are mostly on services with residents--there are probably about a dozen residency programs here from EM to neuro to GS to urology. Busy hospital with a good amount of pathology. A few of the outpatient blocks may be mostly preceptor-based, like Family Medicine. Peds was a nice mix of the two. Myself and a few other students are compiling short info sheets about each rotation we are on here for future rotators.

Another good resource is to hit up your big and see if they can connect you with people at the sites you are curious about--I got a ton of info this way. If you are interested in a classic, MD-style 3rd year experience at a teaching hospital I would look closely at Michigan, Wichita and Richmond Indiana. I'm sure there are other decent sites as well but these stood out to me when I was planning my rank list.

Edit: it just occurred to me that you meant the rotation sites in Kansas City proper. Sorry. Will leave my comment for others.
I'm pretty intrigued from your comments about Wichita, KS sites. I know KU has a Med school and another med center there, so do we rotate in those sites with KU residents/attendings or is it more community/university-affiliated sites?

P.S. As a Sopranos fan, I absolutely love your SDN signature

I'm pretty intrigued from your comments about Wichita, KS sites. I know KU has a Med school and another med center there, so do we rotate in those sites with KU residents/attendings or is it more community/university-affiliated sites?

P.S. As a Sopranos fan, I absolutely love your SDN signature
From what I recall there is a full spectrum family med program at our Wichita site. My big was there and had a really good experience. Sorry I can’t comment on KU affiliation.

Can anyone speak to the supposed required OMM rotations (2) at the Orlando site?
If you go on the KCU intranet you should be able to look at the c/o 2023 3rd year site placement results. I would email the students who are there and ask them, or try and message them on Instagram if you can find them

Can anyone speak to the supposed required OMM rotations (2) at the Orlando site?
Can't speak about it but be warned you are required to do OMM logs with at least 10 treatments under supervision lol. Nobody told me this and I have been angry since then

Can't speak about it but be warned you are required to do OMM logs with at least 10 treatments under supervision lol. Nobody told me this and I have been angry since then
I’m pretty sure that you do that at every site. But at my site we pretty much just have a doc sign off on it and they don’t care if they watch us do it.

I’m pretty sure that you do that at every site. But at my site we pretty much just have a doc sign off on it and they don’t care if they watch us do it.
this^

I did it once for my doc and she just said i could fill out the whole thing lol

• Haha
Wondering how does 4th year work (rising 3rd year)

Do we have to stay at our 3rd year core site? I was told we can go wherever (through VSAS I guess which I also don’t know how works). So then we just do the required stuff (EM rotations and 2 sub-Is) and whatever else we are interested in that we weren’t able to do in 3rd year.

I guess I’m wondering what else needs to be done and we will have to do? When’s the earliest we can be finished? How does this work during interview season?

Wondering how does 4th year work (rising 3rd year)

Do we have to stay at our 3rd year core site? I was told we can go wherever (through VSAS I guess which I also don’t know how works). So then we just do the required stuff (EM rotations and 2 sub-Is) and whatever else we are interested in that we weren’t able to do in 3rd year.

I guess I’m wondering what else needs to be done and we will have to do? When’s the earliest we can be finished? How does this work during interview season?
No you don’t have to stay your course site. You can literally just find a random doc to take you for a month if you want. You can set up most of your rotations either through VSAS (aka VSLO, which is just a website for submitting away rotation applications) or you can contact programs directly and set it up with them which is what I did for most of my rotations. The school will have a meeting in a few months talking about setting this stuff up. If you apply to ortho you will need to set up 4th year way earlier than everyone else, like start contacting programs in October. Otherwise you can start looking into programs and stuff in Jan and start sending apps in Feb-April. Most rotations on VSAS open in April. Clinician Nexus is like VSAS but it’s mostly for HCA programs. Earliest you can finish 4th year is usually end of April, but for my class (2023) we only have to have stuff scheduled through then end of March and the school has some required course for us in April, think it’s all online stuff that’s replacing Comlex 2 PE. We also have to travel back to KC for a practical some time between Jan-Mar but not sure when that is yet.

For interviews the school only lets you take a few days off per rotation for interviews. Just ask your preceptor/residents about taking days off for interviews and don’t tell the school. That also applies to 3rd year, just ask your preceptor for days off and don’t tell the school. You can also schedule easy rotations or time off during your interview season during 4th year. Some specialties interview early like FM/IM I think and others later like most ortho interviews are in January and DR are like Nov-Dec. You just have to figure that out once you decide on a specialty.

Also some hospitals/programs will require you to have an affiliation agreement set up between them and KCU for you to rotate as a 4th year. You need to find out if they require that early because those can take months to set up and be a real pain to deal with.

No you don’t have to stay your course site. You can literally just find a random doc to take you for a month if you want. You can set up most of your rotations either through VSAS (aka VSLO, which is just a website for submitting away rotation applications) or you can contact programs directly and set it up with them which is what I did for most of my rotations. The school will have a meeting in a few months talking about setting this stuff up. If you apply to ortho you will need to set up 4th year way earlier than everyone else, like start contacting programs in October. Otherwise you can start looking into programs and stuff in Jan and start sending apps in Feb-April. Most rotations on VSAS open in April. Clinician Nexus is like VSAS but it’s mostly for HCA programs. Earliest you can finish 4th year is usually end of April, but for my class (2023) we only have to have stuff scheduled through then end of March and the school has some required course for us in April, think it’s all online stuff that’s replacing Comlex 2 PE. We also have to travel back to KC for a practical some time between Jan-Mar but not sure when that is yet.

For interviews the school only lets you take a few days off per rotation for interviews. Just ask your preceptor/residents about taking days off for interviews and don’t tell the school. That also applies to 3rd year, just ask your preceptor for days off and don’t tell the school. You can also schedule easy rotations or time off during your interview season during 4th year. Some specialties interview early like FM/IM I think and others later like most ortho interviews are in January and DR are like Nov-Dec. You just have to figure that out once you decide on a specialty.

Also some hospitals/programs will require you to have an affiliation agreement set up between them and KCU for you to rotate as a 4th year. You need to find out if they require that early because those can take months to set up and be a real pain to deal with.
Appreciate the info mate

So I guess you should really have a strong idea of what you want to do by middle of 3rd year because ERAS apps are due in September(?) and we should schedule important Rotations & Sub-Is (for which we want LORs) early on in July/August.

Appreciate the info mate

So I guess you should really have a strong idea of what you want to do by middle of 3rd year because ERAS apps are due in September(?) and we should schedule important Rotations & Sub-Is (for which we want LORs) early on in July/August.
Correct. You can technically decide later, but the earlier you figure out what you want to do the easier it will be to set up rotations

Is it possible to set up your own clerkships for third year at KCU?

How does that work? I don’t see anything about it in the student handbook

They will tell you a bit about it in second year. But it’s best to reach out to someone who did it cause it’s a big process
Would you happen to know any students who did that that I could reach out to? Or faculty? If it's a long process I'd like to get started on it or at least look into it ASAP..

Would you happen to know any students who did that that I could reach out to? Or faculty? If it's a long process I'd like to get started on it or at least look into it ASAP..
Honestly not sure. Ask someone in the faculty like in the clinical education department and they might be able to help.

Any advice how to schedule 4th year? Sub-is early/before ERAS submission? Chill rotations during interview season? Also wondering if it's mostly done through VSLO or if we should look at other ways to set them up

Any advice how to schedule 4th year? Sub-is early/before ERAS submission? Chill rotations during interview season? Also wondering if it's mostly done through VSLO or if we should look at other ways to set them up
Prime Sub-I season is from July through November/December. ERAS will be due at end of september so you'll wanna have Sub-I's where you want your LOR's from in July or August (unless you already have your LORs). Clinician Nexus is another way to find aways besides VSLO. Some hospitals will also just have applications on their website that you just email in.

The North Dakota Virutal path is what most people in my class did for their virutal rotation. I finished it in less than 2 hours and had the whole month off lol

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with everything @indiRanger said. Start reach out to programs about rotating now. Most of my audition rotations were not set up through VSLO or clinician nexus but just by talking directly to the program coordinator. Your interviews will be anywhere from October to February. More competitive stuff tend to interview later, but a lot of big program will have a lot of options for interview dates spread out across a couple months. Defiantly use all your Flex Time and online rotations. Plan to get letters of rec from your first couple rotations.

Prime Sub-I season is from July through November/December. ERAS will be due at end of september so you'll wanna have Sub-I's where you want your LOR's from in July or August (unless you already have your LORs). Clinician Nexus is another way to find aways besides VSLO. Some hospitals will also just have applications on their website that you just email in.

The North Dakota Virutal path is what most people in my class did for their virutal rotation. I finished it in less than 2 hours and had the whole month off lol
Is the North Dakota Virtual path on VSLO or how do you apply for it?

Yeah its on VSLO, but I heard KCU is making it an online rotation this year and not a virtual one like for our class.
Is this the correct one: PATH 9504 - Death Investigation and Rural Coroners?

Why is this thread still a thing lmao

• Haha
On here for the first time since.. who knows.

We all still alive & well out there 2021 homies?