KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you extend it'll be a month by month basis, so it wont matter. You'll pay for all of July. If you plan on staying in Joplin to take boards you should make sure your lease goes until August 1st, that way if you need to push boards back at all you don't have to also worry about finding housing
My landlord is writing up a new lease for next year and is willing to make the end date more or less whenever is convenient. I’m just trying to figure out what makes sense and gives me a buffer so that the scenario you mentioned doesn’t happen.

Members don't see this ad.

My landlord is writing up a new lease for next year and is willing to make the end date more or less whenever is convenient. I’m just trying to figure out what makes sense and gives me a buffer so that the scenario you mentioned doesn’t happen.
The last day we have to take boards is July 17th. we are supposed to be at our rotation site by July 23rd

Reactions: 1 user
So exam 3 was all micro and antibiotics, I did fine on the exam but I really didn't look at antibiotics at all. Do you guys recommend looking that over the summer, or do system courses delve enough into antibiotics?

Members don't see this ad :)
So exam 3 was all micro and antibiotics, I did fine on the exam but I really didn't look at antibiotics at all. Do you guys recommend looking that over the summer, or do system courses delve enough into antibiotics?
Sketchy + lolnotacop deck/Zanki pharm deck. Classes don't cover them enough at all. Sketchy plus the deck is solid for boards.

Reactions: 3 users
Sketchy + lolnotacop deck/Zanki pharm deck. Classes don't cover them enough at all. Sketchy plus the deck is solid for boards.
aight cool. I didn't buy sketchy this year but I will starting next year.

Any of you know what the deal with that comsae 105 we took is? Is it representative of comlex? My scores between the comsae and truelearn looked like two different students took them lol.

Yeah what fldoctorgirl said, learn it on your own with sketchy because kcu leaves you out to dry with this one. We had that one lecture on it and then I don't think the name of an antibiotic was ever uttered again second year.

Any of you know what the deal with that comsae 105 we took is? Is it representative of comlex? My scores between the comsae and truelearn looked like two different students took them lol.

Yeah what fldoctorgirl said, learn it on your own with sketchy because kcu leaves you out to dry with this one. We had that one lecture on it and then I don't think the name of an antibiotic was ever uttered again second year.
I've heard that Comsae under predicts by 50-100 and truelearn over predicts by 50-100

wow...I was wondering about this as well. I was thinking surely they are going to go over this again at some point...

This video helped me more than sketchy did. It's from your best friend in the clinical years.

Reactions: 1 users
So I held off on Sketchy cuz there was no way in hell I was paying for the 18/24 month plan to use it for basically 1 month for MOD then wait until second year and have it last until dedicated. But now, I was looking at the schedule for the calendar year and decided I can get the 12 month plan and study some micro ahead of next year. Basically, my question is when do you guys take the USMLE/Comlex? Is it End of June or Early July?

I want to be able to have my resources (B&B, Uworld, pathoma etc) when I buy it so it doesn't run out by the time I take it. I ask because based on the calendar, we have after the finals for OS/PCM, there is a 1 week BLS/ACLS during May-3 to May 7, then there's a TTC for 2 weeks until May 21st, then there's a week of MOCK NBOME, and finally at June it's labeled "independent study". So it would seem like taking it middle of July seems like the best bet , because that way you get around 6 weeks without the whole TTC/BLS/ACLS certifications in the way. So I should buy my resources basically around the middle of July; and not July 1st as I was planning to do. Any help is great, thanks.

Basically, my question is when do you guys take the USMLE/Comlex? Is it End of June or Early July?
Depends. I took my Step a few days ago and have COMLEX coming up. Some people took it early June, some people are more towards the end of July. We had to have them done by July 17th this year. It really just depends on how long of a dedicated you want to take.

Depends. I took my Step a few days ago and have COMLEX coming up. Some people took it early June, some people are more towards the end of July. We had to have them done by July 17th this year. It really just depends on how long of a dedicated you want to take.

Right, so it seems like all classwork is done after OS/PCM finals. I was curious if the extra certs, and the transition courses hinder dedicated a lot.

Right, so it seems like all classwork is done after OS/PCM finals. I was curious if the extra certs, and the transition courses hinder dedicated a lot.
It did and it didn't for me, but that's because of COVID. I ended up putting off everything until the last 2 weeks and greatly regretted it. I personally think you should give yourself at least 3-4 weeks once the semester ends of dedicated time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathoma + zanki + perusing class notes enough to do well for second year? Don't want to read robins. Don't want to read robins outlines. Only want to be Dr. Sattar's pupil.

Puthoff's lectures are giving me a brain aneurysum when I just scroll through them and don't want to associate with them.

Pathoma + zanki + perusing class notes enough to do well for second year? Don't want to read robins. Don't want to read robins outlines. Only want to be Dr. Sattar's pupil.

Puthoff's lectures are giving me a brain aneurysum when I just scroll through them and don't want to associate with them.
If putthoff is doing path for a section you def don’t need to do Robbins or outlines. But I’d go through his slides a few days out and reference Robbins on anything in there that’s new to you. If it’s Dobson then you’re gyn a want to look at the outlines at some point lol.

Probably enough. I did read the outlines but probably would've done fine had I not. I never once opened a single Putthoff or Dobson lecture.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if any M4s still lurk on here, but if so....can any of y'all give some insight into what goes on the MSPE letter from our school? Got my first COMAT score and missed honors by literally one point, and kinda bummed since our school doesn't do high pass or anything like that lolz

MSPE seems to be mostly fluff, don't worry about it.

Not sure if any M4s still lurk on here, but if so....can any of y'all give some insight into what goes on the MSPE letter from our school? Got my first COMAT score and missed honors by literally one point, and kinda bummed since our school doesn't do high pass or anything like that lolz
There’s a sample MSPE letter online you can check out. Also yep. Welcome to only having fail/pass/honors.

Holy cow, how do you already have a COMAT score back?! Most people I know don't even take their first one till next weekend.

Holy cow, how do you already have a COMAT score back?! Most people I know don't even take their first one till next weekend.

Is there a schedule published for when you take yours? We got an email saying it's somewhere on evalue, but when I looked I saw nothing there

Is there a schedule published for when you take yours? We got an email saying it's somewhere on evalue, but when I looked I saw nothing there
It's generally the last Friday of your rotation.

Side note: if you made your profile pictures 2 hippos with crates, that would be fantastic.

It just depends when you started rotations. KC region is one of the first sites to start.

There’s a sample MSPE letter online you can check out. Also yep. Welcome to only having fail/pass/honors.
Yeah it kinda sucks. I know it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it's irritating to know my grade will be the same as someone who just passed by one point for example lol. It's literally a 4th percentile vs. 86th percentile score, it makes no sense to me that those would both be a pass.

Best of luck with application season c/o 2021. I know its been a really discouraging year with everything happening but you are all going to do great :)

• Love
Predictions on how new joplin students will affect match? More unmatched kids prolly right.

Yeah it kinda sucks. I know it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it's irritating to know my grade will be the same as someone who just passed by one point for example lol. It's literally a 4th percentile vs. 86th percentile score, it makes no sense to me that those would both be a pass.
I’ve asked this. Comat scores are not out on your mspe but you can’t tell your writer to talk about it or mention it. I missed honoring EM shelf by 1 point but he said he’ll mention I got 86%ile in his written portion.

Hence why P/F is a dumb option.

Predictions on how new joplin students will affect match? More unmatched kids prolly right.
I mean yeah when you add 160 new students to a class, you're likely to have more unmatched kids than the previous year. But you'll also have more matched kids lol. If you mean a greater percentage of the class will go unmatched, I don't really see a basis for that.

Hence why P/F is a dumb option.
Agreed.
I’ve asked this. Comat scores are not out on your mspe but you can’t tell your writer to talk about it or mention it. I missed honoring EM shelf by 1 point but he said he’ll mention I got 86%ile in his written portion.
Okay cool, good to know! Yeah it also sucks because it seems our school's threshold for honors is higher than anywhere else I've seen....112+ this year, other people I've talked to have 108+ or 110+ so it sucks knowing I would've had honors there.

Are you concerned that mentioning that might make it seem like you didn't honor the rotation because of your evals or something like that, or do they mention that grades are based entirely on the shelf? I would think if you mentioned you had an 86th percentile or whatever, someone might read that and say "huh, he must not have gotten honors because of his evals"?

I'm hoping our class gives an awesome show on match day.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all! Hope ERAS is going well for y'all.

Question....when do KCU students typically take PE? I'm thinking of trying to schedule a date from now since everything is so messed up, but I'm not sure when to schedule for. I know we technically need to pass the SP thing first or whatever, but not even sure what's going to happen with that this year.

Hey all! Hope ERAS is going well for y'all.

Question....when do KCU students typically take PE? I'm thinking of trying to schedule a date from now since everything is so messed up, but I'm not sure when to schedule for. I know we technically need to pass the SP thing first or whatever, but not even sure what's going to happen with that this year.
We are the wrong class to ask xD

Originally, we had the sp thing in late March and could schedule anytime in April and beyond. The PE is scheduled out to at least late May last I looked because they keep not cancelling it completely for us.

We are the wrong class to ask xD

Originally, we had the sp thing in late March and could schedule anytime in April and beyond. The PE is scheduled out to at least late May last I looked because they keep not cancelling it completely for us.
Cool, yeah I know you guys aren't the best to ask but was just curious around when. This whole situation sucks.

I was originally scheduled for April 3rd. The sooner you take it, the better. You don't want to be taking it during interview/application season if at all possible.

I was originally scheduled for April 3rd. The sooner you take it, the better. You don't want to be taking it during interview/application season if at all possible.
Can you only see dates available once you purchase the exam through NBOME? I totally would've taken it in April or May but doesn't seem like those dates will be available now ha

Can anyone shed some light on how to approach these comats? Currently studying for FM, but I'm kind of just half-assing the dorian deck and I'm now just realizing I know practically nothing with the comat only like a week away.

Can you only see dates available once you purchase the exam through NBOME? I totally would've taken it in April or May but doesn't seem like those dates will be available now ha
Unfortunately, yes, you have to wait. I just pulled it up and in Chicago, the earliest available date is July 4th. In Conshohocken, PA it is May 26th.
I don't know what the NBOME is expecting will happen for your class with an overwhelming majority of our class still not having taken the PE.

• Sad
I fully expect to be screwed over by PE, to the point that now I am just going to ignore it for right now

• Haha
Can anyone shed some light on how to approach these comats? Currently studying for FM, but I'm kind of just half-assing the dorian deck and I'm now just realizing I know practically nothing with the comat only like a week away.
I used zanki through 1st and 2nd year, and through boards. I tried an anki deck for shelf exams but gave up. Personally, COMQUEST + making your own anki flashcards of incorrects or facts you want to remember is more than enough to pass/honors. Maybe throw in Uworld if you're taking step2, you'll do better. As for FM, I personally felt that almost none of my studying prepared me for that COMAT. So much random BS.

I used zanki through 1st and 2nd year, and through boards. I tried an anki deck for shelf exams but gave up. Personally, COMQUEST + making your own anki flashcards of incorrects or facts you want to remember is more than enough to pass/honors. Maybe throw in Uworld if you're taking step2, you'll do better. As for FM, I personally felt that almost none of my studying prepared me for that COMAT. So much random BS.
FM was my second COMAT after psych. It was a train wreck xD

I used the dorian deck for FM and got a 105. Though as other posters said the exam was a ****show. Comlex felt better than that exam lol.

I used the dorian deck for FM and got a 105. Though as other posters said the exam was a ****show. Comlex felt better than that exam lol.

I second Dorian for FM. There is also a USPSTF screenings deck that is super useful for FM.

Any advice for PEDS comat? Really really want to honor.