KCU-Joplin vs TUNCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmrpain123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was accepted to KCU-Joplin and it was my top choice, but I still have some reservations with it being a new school and all. I have a TUNCOM interview coming up within a few weeks and need help deciding whether to attend it or not. My goal is to be close to family and match into a pediatric residency back to CA.

KCU-Joplin

Pros: proven curriculum (based of KC), good match list, excellent board scores, love the campus, close rotations, cheaper tuition (~45k), low Cost of living

Cons: small town (come from a big city), far from family (CA), not many match back to CA, no research opportunities (?), no gym

TUNCOM

Pros: location (close to fam & SO), rotations sites at an affiliated hospital, many match to CA, research, close to the city (Vegas), more established, smaller class size, has a gym, good boards cores and match list

Cons: expensive tuition (~55k), heard school is a warehouse (?), competing for rotations spots with UNLV accepting their first class

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Joplin students get a gym membership paid for what I understand. Also Joplin has a great relationship with Freeman which helped sell me on the campus.

Don't forget that matching can be influenced on location of campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think TUNCOM might give me an edge to match into CA?
No I mean that location of the campus can influence their match list due to where the people attending came from. Like I preferred a campus close to home. If you go to KCU and pursue it I don't see why matching to CA should be an obstacle

No I mean that location of the campus can influence their match list due to where the people attending came from. Like I preferred a campus close to home. If you go to KCU and pursue it I don't see why matching to CA should be an obstacle
Gotcha that makes more sense. Thanks!