KCU-KC VS. COMP-NW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsmoonshine222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am having a really difficult time deciding between these two schools. I have some Pros and Cons I've written out. I'd also like to hear your general opinions and experiences if you have any!

KCU:
Pros:
-Honors/Pass/Fail Grading system
-In a large city (albeit I'd rather live in the West/Pacific NW for its proximity to hiking- one of my main passions)
-Driving distance to my parents and located near a major airport
- Great reputation, matches, and Board Scores
-Really nice campus that I've visited
-10k cheaper than COMP-NW

Cons:
-Not where I ultimately want to end up (want to live in Colorado or the West sooner rather than later)
-Huge class size (270 people)
-I grew up in the Midwest so it would be cool to see a new part of the country
-Could spend clinicals in Colorado but that is in no way guaranteed

COMP-NW:
Pros:
-Smaller Class size (I think around 80 people)
-Awesome location, close to hiking / climbing
-Have heard nothing but great things from students about the school
-Mostly matches to the pacific northwest and california
-high chance of spending clinicals in a city like Portland or Tacoma AND getting my first choice

Cons:
- Essentially graded and ranked pre clinicals (trying to avoid but i've heard the class isn't competitive)
-Far away from family, although cheap flights from Portland (a 1.5 hour drive)
-located in a rural town which I don't particularly like but might be good for studying lol (25-30 minutes from a larger college town though)
- Not as good of a reputation (although average MCAT is 509?)
-Matches competitively but maybe not as well as KCU, hard to tell honestly.
-smaller medical building but also less students

Ultimately, I'm a bit worried about being so far away and isolated from my family in a difficult time. However, there is a part of me that feels a pull to pursue where I want to live and things I want to experience. I'm also worried by not going to KCU i'd be passing up an opportunity to go to one of the "best" DO schools. Am I crazy for passing up KCU? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It comes down to cost and location b/c they are both DO schools. Matching will be on you. Go where you will be happier b/c you tend to do better when you are happy.

The above is absolutely correct. If you can avoid grading and be close to family (if that’s important to you), those are always big pluses.

Comp-NW is pretty isolated as you said. I don’t think a 1.5 hour one way drive to just get to the airport is too conducive to traveling home or elsewhere.