KCU-KC vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tron814

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple older threads about this, but I was hoping to gain some new insight that can help me make a decision. I read a lot about how KCU has a supposedly more difficult/challenging curriculum. Can anyone corroborate these claims or perhaps explain a bit about why people claim KCU has a more challenging curriculum? Is KCU pass/fail? At the moment, I am leaning more towards KCU simply because it is a bigger city and I feel like I would be happier in a more urban setting, but are there any clear negatives to KCU over DMU? Thanks for all the responses guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school is going to be hard regardless of where you go, and keep in mind that I am a first year who started amidst a pandemic, it's not impossible. There will be a steep learning curve and mainly failures along the way, but that is not exclusive to KCU. I like that the faculty and staff are receptive to our feedback, work with us, and are supportive. This is my take on the challenging curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a couple older threads about this, but I was hoping to gain some new insight that can help me make a decision. I read a lot about how KCU has a supposedly more difficult/challenging curriculum. Can anyone corroborate these claims or perhaps explain a bit about why people claim KCU has a more challenging curriculum? Is KCU pass/fail? At the moment, I am leaning more towards KCU simply because it is a bigger city and I feel like I would be happier in a more urban setting, but are there any clear negatives to KCU over DMU? Thanks for all the responses guys!
Also wondering if KCU is P/F! @Schwifty any insight?
Yes KCU is pass fail (I'm an M2 so most of my M1 was still later grades) and yes the curriculum is difficult. But its med school, it's going to be hard no matter where you go, and pass fail just makes things a little less stressful. I did interviewed at DMU and didn't get accepted, it was the only interview I went on after being accepted to KCU and was the only one I wasn't accepted to lol. But as soon as I landed in Des Moines I knew I didn't want to go there, it was -10F with 1+ft of snow in a small town, and I'm from a big costal city. KC is still small to me, but not that small. Also, I know y'all don't really get to see the campus, but the KCU-KC campus is beautiful especially since we opened the new academic building. If you have any other KCU questions feel free to post them here or PM me if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to clarify that KCU is P/F/H. If you are in the top 10% of a block you get honors and I believe there are still rankings.

Hi! I’m a student at DMU and absolutely love it. Feel free to pm me with any questions you may have :)