KCUMB Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JSandall said:
:laugh:

Geez, sounds like somebody just off a rough month of surgery!! :laugh:

I know I am a little crabby - normally not so bitchy but I seem to get annoyed easier lately. I tell ya I am soooo tired of seeing the same topics pop up in the osteopathic threads. hope you are doing well. I am really really enjoying orthopedic surgery at OSI - north KC hospital is nice and that program is pretty nice. I like all the residents alot not sure how they feel about another female though. They just took their first female this past year. Don't lose my blueprints:) love you buddy:)

Members don't see this ad.

Just need a place to vent my frustrations about the ****ty education I am getting down here!!! First of all I am about to start my second week of inpatient IM and have so far written a few soap/progress notes and 1 H&P and orders and that is it. I have not seen any procedures or anything worth the time I spend here. My doctors do not show up until around 9am and they leave at around 3pm. They must think that DO students are ******ed because they basically give me gold stars for saying my name correctly. I am so frustrated. I feel like averyone else is getting their ass handed to them (in a good way) while I am floating along, trying to teach myself from blueprints etc. Anybody else with this problem. I am just so pissed off at this whole match thing I can't even see straight. I came to KCUMB to go to KCUMB and now I feel like a red headed step child. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I lost moving here and trying to find my husband a new job oh , yeah and the F***ing hurricane that ripped part of my roof off!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Sorry to be such a baby but I need to get back to california for residency and at the rate I am going I will be lucky to stay in Mobile. :thumbdown:

apass said:
check out the kcumb website - go to www.kcumb.edu and go to clinical education - it is on the right . Then go to the class of 2007 clerkships and then click affliated core training sites - hope that helps.
thanks! that was exactly what I was looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
VJWDO said:
Just need a place to vent my frustrations about the ****ty education I am getting down here!!! First of all I am about to start my second week of inpatient IM and have so far written a few soap/progress notes and 1 H&P and orders and that is it. I have not seen any procedures or anything worth the time I spend here. My doctors do not show up until around 9am and they leave at around 3pm. They must think that DO students are ******ed because they basically give me gold stars for saying my name correctly. I am so frustrated. I feel like averyone else is getting their ass handed to them (in a good way) while I am floating along, trying to teach myself from blueprints etc. Anybody else with this problem. I am just so pissed off at this whole match thing I can't even see straight. I came to KCUMB to go to KCUMB and now I feel like a red headed step child. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I lost moving here and trying to find my husband a new job oh , yeah and the F***ing hurricane that ripped part of my roof off!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Sorry to be such a baby but I need to get back to california for residency and at the rate I am going I will be lucky to stay in Mobile. :thumbdown:

Sorry to hear it's going so poorly. Hopefully things will turn around. :thumbup:

VJWDO said:

I am sorry things are going badly too. Any other classmates there to maybe help you out? I can't even remember how many of you guys ended up there. I guess you haven't had much help from the Clinical education department. Don't worry to much about the soap notes and H&Ps I didn't write to many on my IM rotation in West Plains and then I got an overkill of it at Children's Mercy. Hang in there.

Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Hope everyone is well.

Justin

Nobody ever posts, even though I know we have several lurkers from our class on this website. This is just a bump. How is everyone doing?

Peace out.

We're on the final part of our medical school journey...can't believe how fast its gone by. Good Luck people with the match and see you in may.

We're on the final part of our medical school journey...can't believe how fast its gone by. Good Luck people with the match and see you in may.

As someone who is about to start at KCUMB in the Fall, what are your thoughts on the school now that you're almost done? Good Luck to all you KCUMB'ers in the match. :luck:

Yeah I am also intersted in your overall opinion of your education and preparedness for the clinical years? What has been your experience of others impressions of KCUMB. I am guessing that it has a fairly good reputation from what I have heard.

KCUMB gives you a great base...
I wouldn't trade our education in for the world.
But you have to be willing to work at the rest of it...
I was prepared for 3rd year... but i made the most of each month.
I can't wait for graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB does a good job first 2 years, 3rd and 4th year it depends on your base hospitals...that's about all I have. If you work hard the first 2 years, it's easy last 2 because you just add to what you already know. It's like you read something and don't know what your studying, then clinicals your like, oh I remember reading that...if you have questions PM me or whatever.

As someone who is about to start at KCUMB in the Fall, what are your thoughts on the school now that you're almost done? Good Luck to all you KCUMB'ers in the match. :luck:

these are all excellant questions. Although I feel that I have absolutely no motivation to respond. Most of us 4th yrs are pretty tired well atleast I am. Most of us have less than 40 work days left!!!!!!!!! Hooray!

My thoughts are that KCUMB is a great place to learn but it truly comes down to the effort and motivation you have. KCUMB really provides you with all the tools you need to succeed but you have to use them. In general medical school has been a great adventure. I have met some amazing people at KCUMB. Maybe Sexpanther could comment more if this classmate ever gets on and posts:) I think most of us have senioritis and would rather sit at home and do nothing all day.

I know how excited I was to get started. I really loved it here and glad I came. Goodluck to you!

these are all excellant questions. Although I feel that I have absolutely no motivation to respond. Most of us 4th yrs are pretty tired well atleast I am. Most of us have less than 40 work days left!!!!!!!!! Hooray!

My thoughts are that KCUMB is a great place to learn but it truly comes down to the effort and motivation you have. KCUMB really provides you with all the tools you need to succeed but you have to use them. In general medical school has been a great adventure. I have met some amazing people at KCUMB. Maybe Sexpanther could comment more if this classmate ever gets on and posts:) I think most of us have senioritis and would rather sit at home and do nothing all day.

I know how excited I was to get started. I really loved it here and glad I came. Goodluck to you!

Yes, I'll comment. I swear that I am addicted to this site.

My education has been awesome and I would put it against any curriculum in the country (I told my interviewers at Stanford the same thing, I think they were a little shocked). Pathology is esp. strong (IMO) and if you know path/pathophys it makes everything else easier.

You will be provided a solid base from which to build. As stated previously, a lot does depend on individual effort. I don't care if you're at KCUMB or Johns Hopkins, if you don't study you won't know anything.

3rd/4th year are really dependent on your location (most of the sites seem to be excellent from what I've heard) and once again your personal effort and motivation. I feel as prepared as possible for the reaming that starts in July.

I enjoyed my time at KCUMB immensely, met some awesome friends (apass), worked and played hard.

Good luck in the match everyone! I know apass is ortho, but what about everyone else? I finally decided on gas, but there was a time where I was switching every day.

Peace out.

Yes, I'll comment. I swear that I am addicted to this site.

My education has been awesome and I would put it against any curriculum in the country (I told my interviewers at Stanford the same thing, I think they were a little shocked). Pathology is esp. strong (IMO) and if you know path/pathophys it makes everything else easier.

You will be provided a solid base from which to build. As stated previously, a lot does depend on individual effort. I don't care if you're at KCUMB or Johns Hopkins, if you don't study you won't know anything.

3rd/4th year are really dependent on your location (most of the sites seem to be excellent from what I've heard) and once again your personal effort and motivation. I feel as prepared as possible for the reaming that starts in July.

I enjoyed my time at KCUMB immensely, met some awesome friends (apass), worked and played hard.

Good luck in the match everyone! I know apass is ortho, but what about everyone else? I finally decided on gas, but there was a time where I was switching every day.

Peace out.

Thanks for chiming in apass and SexPanther, esp. the latter for answering all of my PM's.

I'm excited about getting started at KCUMB in the Fall!

looking forward to seeing you guys again in may. seems that a lot of KCUMB people are getting into some really competitive specialties this year. Im hoping and praying for a Neuro categorical or advanced at Mayo Clinic. It'll be cold but the clinic is an amaizing place. Goodluck to all in the match, all the years of had tireless labor is going to pay off with a real job.

later.

looking forward to seeing you guys again in may. seems that a lot of KCUMB people are getting into some really competitive specialties this year. Im hoping and praying for a Neuro categorical or advanced at Mayo Clinic. It'll be cold but the clinic is an amaizing place. Goodluck to all in the match, all the years of had tireless labor is going to pay off with a real job.

later.

Good Luck you All! :luck:

later.

Hey did you check out the clinic's program in Scottsdale, AZ? I spent a month there for CCM (and actually interacted w/neuro residents 2/2 a pt. in status for 2 weeks). That place was super nice....and they have a gas program!

Good luck!

Hey did you check out the clinic's program in Scottsdale, AZ? I spent a month there for CCM (and actually interacted w/neuro residents 2/2 a pt. in status for 2 weeks). That place was super nice....and they have a gas program!

Good luck!

Really you are calling it a gas program - what?!! You are crazy!! That was a very nice comment in your previous post!

Just wanted to say that I completely agree with sexpanther's comments. I feel that I received a great education and really loved it.

Really you are calling it a gas program - what?!! You are crazy!! That was a very nice comment in your previous post!

Just wanted to say that I completely agree with sexpanther's comments. I feel that I received a great education and really loved it.

I am a gas man, anyone who has sat around me long enough knows this;)

I am a gas man, anyone who has sat around me long enough knows this;)

yes i know this but really this is not the way you are going to make a living.:)

Packamylase,
KCUMB was awesome for the first two years just like you have been told. I was STUPID and did not take the core site match seriously. I honestly did not realize that there would be such a disparity between core sites. I had the worst experience in Mobile, AL and then went up to Kettering, OH Grandview core site and realized what I had been missing. It was great and I regret not going to an established CORE site from the beginning. I have since done multiple rotations in California and had no problem keeping up with the big university trained students. I might even end up at UCDavis or OHSU for IM. As previously stated, if you work hard, study, and go to a great core then you will have an excellent education.

Words of advice: 1. Don't blow off path, you will be a superstar if you really study and go to all of ERF's lectures. I think that was definitely a strength of our school. 2.Get involved early in extracurricular activities so that you will have a cake time filling out your residency app/CV. 3.Start making your CV early and add to it every few months so that you won't forget anything you do and it will be easy to compile as a fourth year. 4.Take the USMLE, it will keep all of your doors open. 5. Don't take a month off to study for step 2, just study during a light rotation and get out of school early. I wish I had done that because I have to go to school all the way through april.

Good luck and enjoy the first two years and all the friends that will make!!

Packamylase,
KCUMB was awesome for the first two years just like you have been told. I was STUPID and did not take the core site match seriously. I honestly did not realize that there would be such a disparity between core sites. I had the worst experience in Mobile, AL and then went up to Kettering, OH Grandview core site and realized what I had been missing. It was great and I regret not going to an established CORE site from the beginning. I have since done multiple rotations in California and had no problem keeping up with the big university trained students. I might even end up at UCDavis or OHSU for IM. As previously stated, if you work hard, study, and go to a great core then you will have an excellent education.

Words of advice: 1. Don't blow off path, you will be a superstar if you really study and go to all of ERF's lectures. I think that was definitely a strength of our school. 2.Get involved early in extracurricular activities so that you will have a cake time filling out your residency app/CV. 3.Start making your CV early and add to it every few months so that you won't forget anything you do and it will be easy to compile as a fourth year. 4.Take the USMLE, it will keep all of your doors open. 5. Don't take a month off to study for step 2, just study during a light rotation and get out of school early. I wish I had done that because I have to go to school all the way through april.

Good luck and enjoy the first two years and all the friends that will make!!

Hey great words of advice. I agree with all of them but the last one. I had to take a month off to study. I think too many people take step II too lightly and take a chance on not passing. I get april off as my vacation month I guess you were interviewing all over and took your vacation month early. With the DO match for ortho - I just interviewed while on rotation. Great job on UCDavis and OHSU. I think Tom and Trisha are ranking that too.

Glad things went so much better in Ohio. See you in May!

Congrats to all who matched today; only one more month of stress to those of us who are going allopathic.

Speaking of that, I've heard from several that matched DO that our school has ~50% of the 2007 class participating in the MD match. That's pretty darn high, not saying I blame anyone for avoiding many of the DO residency programs.

I wonder what the admins @ KCUMB think about that.

Congrats again.

Hi everyone!

Long time no post! I was curious how everyone did today and last month. I matched to an ACGME FP program today :D.

I guess we'll all hear the details on Thursday.

Hey guys,

Looking forward to may. Found out today that I fully matched to an ACGME Neurology Residency and Medicine Preliminary year. Can't wait till thursday to find out where I matched. I've been playing the waiting game for too long. See ya all soon.

Hey guys,

Looking forward to may. Found out today that I fully matched to an ACGME Neurology Residency and Medicine Preliminary year. Can't wait till thursday to find out where I matched. I've been playing the waiting game for too long. See ya all soon.

Hi Neurodoc! Congratulations on matching! I really hope you get your first choice. Are you still on the East Coast? My husband saw Rutgers at the end of your message and was so excited to see that someone from RU was at KCUMB....school spirit is high in this household thanks to the recent football record :) (too bad they couldn't win while we were there!!)

As for everyone else, I hope all is well!

Smiles!

Congrats to all who matched today; only one more month of stress to those of us who are going allopathic.

Speaking of that, I've heard from several that matched DO that our school has ~50% of the 2007 class participating in the MD match. That's pretty darn high, not saying I blame anyone for avoiding many of the DO residency programs.

I wonder what the admins @ KCUMB think about that.

Congrats again.

Goodluck to everyone tomorrow! I feel confident that our class will do well. I am very happy in my DO residency program. There are several out there that are great.

I too got my number 1! UMKC Family Medicine at Truman Lakewood :D

prelim med-SUNY Upstate Med University at Syracuse, NY:D
neuro-Thomas Jefferson University at Philadelphia, PA:D

Wow. Congratulations, SexPanther! I'm very happy to hear of your success!

Thanks for the kind words. Good work everyone!!! Apass, congrats on your ortho, you deserve it! You will be awesome. Can't wait to see you on your trauma months at Vandy...........DP wants me to make you cry:laugh:

Neurodoc, sorry you didn't get your #1 but TJU is awesome and you'll make a great neurologist.

Nice job wannabedo on landing your FP spot.

I am going to do IM at University of Nevada-Reno!!!:D
My number three but I wasn't holding much hope out for UCDavis and OHSU.
Congrats to all of you, I think our class has done a great job this year!!!
Vanessa

Hey guys, KCUMB Alum here, just wanting to see how the current class faired in the match. Would you mind posting a complete match list, especiallly those going into gas. CONGRATS all, now get ready to do some real work ;).

is there a gym at KCUMB? If not, does anyone know of one close by?

Hey guys, KCUMB Alum here, just wanting to see how the current class faired in the match. Would you mind posting a complete match list, especiallly those going into gas. CONGRATS all, now get ready to do some real work ;).

Hey Stump, check out the KCUMB Class of 2011 for the 2007 Matchlist. These guys in this thread are superstars apparently!

hey guys sorry to bother you but would you mind sharing some of your favorite memories from the time we were in KC? I'm hoping to put them together for a little something....thanks! :)

I remember sleeping...is that you Dr. S? I remember ERF and his Dead Rock Stars Path Lecture. Or do you mean outside memories...

NeuroDocDO good luck, you'll do well there. Take advantage of Wills Eye...hehe. Talk to you soon.

Hope everyone is doing well, see you soon!

I remember sleeping...is that you Dr. S? I remember ERF and his Dead Rock Stars Path Lecture. Or do you mean outside memories...

NeuroDocDO good luck, you'll do well there. Take advantage of Wills Eye...hehe. Talk to you soon.

Hope everyone is doing well, see you soon!

haha. i was hoping to get input for a something to say at baccalaureate (? sp) ...any ideas on a topic? I'm going to write it this week....for some reason i don't remember the dead rock stars lecture....i do remember hearing "familial mediterannian fever" though!

You can talk about how we all met on SDN. How we all got through Neuro with Stephens and all his epileptic seizure causing arrows. It funny I remember a lot of stuff from my 3rd and 4th year, probably cause I didn't study as much. I remember going to some of our classmates weddings and how they formed their relationships that lead to marriage. I remember how ERF would always talk about how we'd kill a patient instead of, we'd get sued. I remember follies. Are you staying in NJ acura for residency? Congrats on getting married. I remember you mentioned it previously.

When I look back on the first 2 years at KCUMB it really does not feel like it was 2 years at all but a lifetime. Those 2 years were filled with so many new and exciting eperiences that most people probably don't experience in a lifetime. The knowledge we have gained is precious and as we graduate we will take this knowledge and make a difference in the lives of others. We have all survived one of the most difficult challenges that life can offer, but we have become stronger and wiser because of it. Besides participating in follies, studying pathology under ERF, having great KC bbq, hanging out with classmates at the plaza, I will always remember the friendliness and the moral support from the professors and staff of the university. We have more than ourselves to thank for the great accomplishment we are about to make.

Hey peeps, I'm not sure if I'll get a reply to this since I think you're all graduating very soon! (whoo hoo! congrats BTW). But I was hoping someone could chime in on what one really needs to be able to support to get the most out of KCUMBs tech (as far as notes and lectures online, etc etc).

I know very close to nothing about technology, lol, but Im trying to decide what kind of laptop I'll need (I've never had one before!). And if the "benefits" of using a Mac will outway the pain of learning a new system. I know KCUMB sends a system requirements page, but that doesnt tell me if it would be immensely helpful to have other features or if one thing is most important (if having to decide about tradeoffs).

I would REALLY appreciate any help I could get. I dont like to spend $$ unless I know that what Im getting is that best option and value. I'd be willing to spend extra $$ to make my life as easy as possible. I figure I'll have enough headaches in med school; I'd rather technology (or the lack/malfunction thereof) not be one of them if I can help it. THANKS!!

You can talk about how we all met on SDN. How we all got through Neuro with Stephens and all his epileptic seizure causing arrows. It funny I remember a lot of stuff from my 3rd and 4th year, probably cause I didn't study as much. I remember going to some of our classmates weddings and how they formed their relationships that lead to marriage. I remember how ERF would always talk about how we'd kill a patient instead of, we'd get sued. I remember follies. Are you staying in NJ acura for residency? Congrats on getting married. I remember you mentioned it previously.

hey! I sent you a PM....

Don't you remember in path lab whenever there was a dumba** move by one of the previously treating physicians, ERF would say, "not one of my students!" as in, he would have taught us better.