KCUMB Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the way KCUMB has their testing/quizzes system setup is a good way to keep students on top of material and to not make exams such monsters as some PBL programs have. I would much rather have frequent exams that cover less material (albeit more than undergrad), than 2-3 tests in a semester that would make me vomit with anxiety.

Yeah, it definitely keeps you on the ball. However, the downside of it is that you have to study more consistanly and regularly.

Members don't see this ad.

Really random question:

I just today got my matricualtion packet! YAY! However, I noticed something funny on the very last page in the packet....after the big bro/big sis page there was this pretty simple page that had some info. in list form: credit report, ADAform, PreMatricualtion History and Physical form, Hep B, Immunization Record.......etc.

1) Could I assume that these are things that I haven't turned in yet, some of which I have sent?

2) Does anyone else have the letter F before his/her name at the top of the page.....what does that sand for....Female?

PS - Who is pumped about getting to see the Royals/Sox game??? ME!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really random question:

I just today got my matricualtion packet! YAY! However, I noticed something funny on the very last page in the packet....after the big bro/big sis page there was this pretty simple page that had some info. in list form: credit report, ADAform, PreMatricualtion History and Physical form, Hep B, Immunization Record.......etc.

1) Could I assume that these are things that I haven't turned in yet, some of which I have sent?

2) Does anyone else have the letter F before his/her name at the top of the page.....what does that sand for....Female?

PS - Who is pumped about getting to see the Royals/Sox game??? ME!!!!

Yeah, that's the page that tells you what items they are missing. I didn't notice an M for me, so I don't know what's going on there. I'm happy to see another Red Sox game. I had already bought tickets for Monday and Tuesday... thanks for completing the series KCUMB.

I got mine yesterday and I also got the simple page with an F before my name--maybe it is for female. The rest of the list, I believe, are things they are lacking in our file. I am currently chasing one final transcript and my History and Physical form for even though both have been sent already. I will probably just have them sent again. I am sure with so many of us sending the documents in at various times, some things might get missplaced. I just call the Admissions office from time to time and check to see that they have everything they need from me. I am hoping for no suprises when I get to KC for orientation. I figure it would be easier for me to chase the stuff now while I am home than when I get there.

As for the game, I am an Astros fan so I know little to nothing about the AL teams, except the pitchers do not have to hit! What's up with that?? I am looking forward to the game--it should be a good time!!

I got mine yesterday and I also got the simple page with an F before my name--maybe it is for female. The rest of the list, I believe, are things they are lacking in our file. I am currently chasing one final transcript and my History and Physical form for even though both have been sent already. I will probably just have them sent again. I am sure with so many of us sending the documents in at various times, some things might get missplaced. I just call the Admissions office from time to time and check to see that they have everything they need from me. I am hoping for no suprises when I get to KC for orientation. I figure it would be easier for me to chase the stuff now while I am home than when I get there.

As for the game, I am an Astros fan so I know little to nothing about the AL teams, except the pitchers do not have to hit! What's up with that?? I am looking forward to the game--it should be a good time!!

I'm going to Houston for the Red Sox-Astros series in two weeks. The 'Stros were killing me last night cause they couldn't put anything on Joba and those freakin' Yankees. Hopefully they step it up a little tonight so my Yankees buddies there now will be a little miserable... Oh, and pitchers are for pitching.... :D

what u talkin bout.. JOBA rules

Still haven't got my matriculation packet yet. I got the email from my 'big sister'. Oh I also bought BRS Path, Phys, embryo, and Rohens Anatomy flashcards, First Aid 2008. Yay.:thumbup:

Still haven't got my matriculation packet yet. I got the email from my 'big sister'. Oh I also bought BRS Path, Phys, embryo, and Rohens Anatomy flashcards, First Aid 2008. Yay.:thumbup:

How much was First Aid 08? I"m sure you'll have your packet Monday. There was a big Priority Mail sticker on mine. Did anyone else read on the packet where it said we were required to buy our equipment (steothoscopes, etc) from the bookstore? Did I just read that wrong? Kinda like my selective blindness to the captial 'M'...

same as you bro.. and we were both accepted back in sept, so i guess its really not dependent on order of acceptance.. i still need to get all my medical records sent to my new doctor so i can have him fill out the stupid form lol

Did I just read that wrong? Kinda like my selective blindness to the capital 'M'...

So does that mean you DO have an 'M'? Oh...and I don't know if we have to buy the med stuff from the bookstore...I'm a pretty big fan of eBay myself.

Alex, I think it was around 40$ I got it from amazon. Ive also heard good things about " an osteopathic approach to dx and treatment" but I was getting click happy and didnt get that one because it's 50$.

About the stethoscope thing.... I have a cardio master (w/o a bell) and I asked a second year about this, and they said you need their version for a few learning session type things, but other than that, some students have their own they use when needed.

So does that mean you DO have an 'M'? Oh...and I don't know if we have to buy the med stuff from the bookstore...I'm a pretty big fan of eBay myself.

One thing you'll find out about me is I'll always admit when I've been wrong. In 28 years, I've found that to be the biggest failing of people in general. So yes, there was this insanely monstrous, massive, mega-M next to my name... I must be selectively blind to those things. :)

I asked the thing about having to buy the equipment from the bookstore, because I've received a lot of equipment already as gifts. So I don't see the point in purchasing what I already have. Doesn't seem to fit the whole "living like a student now" mantra. :rolleyes:

I got that Rapid Interpretation of EKGs... it's an interesting book. The way it's written is a little different. I would have to second the "I'm an eBay fan" sentiment. Maybe I'll find First Aid on there.

Poker, I liked Joba as a prospective closer... anybody can be a starter, but not just anyone can demoralize a team like a solid closer. Think Mariano, think Eckersley, (Boston bias coming...) Think Flash and Papelbon (except for yesterday when my fellow Louisiana native blew a save... but got the win). I'm looking forward to the pitching war that is going to happen over the next few years between the Stanks... I mean Yanks and the Sox. Good times... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing you'll find out about me is I'll always admit when I've been wrong. In 28 years, I've found that to be the biggest failing of people in general. So yes, there was this insanely monstrous, massive, mega-M next to my name... I must be selectively blind to those things. :)

I asked the thing about having to buy the equipment from the bookstore, because I've received a lot of equipment already as gifts. So I don't see the point in purchasing what I already have. Doesn't seem to fit the whole "living like a student now" mantra. :rolleyes:

I got that Rapid Interpretation of EKGs... it's an interesting book. The way it's written is a little different. I would have to second the "I'm an eBay fan" sentiment. Maybe I'll find First Aid on there.

Poker, I liked Joba as a prospective closer... anybody can be a starter, but not just anyone can demoralize a team like a solid closer. Think Mariano, think Eckersley, (Boston bias coming...) Think Flash and Papelbon (except for yesterday when my fellow Louisiana native blew a save... but got the win). I'm looking forward to the pitching war that is going to happen over the next few years between the Stanks... I mean Yanks and the Sox. Good times... :thumbup:

well the yankees dont have a josh beckett that can dominate a lineup and strike out 8 a game... joba is that guy now.. thats why hes a starter.

anyway back on topic.. i never really got any confirmation on what the last day of school was for MSI, is it the 21st? its confusing cuz the monday after says 'no classes b/c of holiday on that google calendar.

im curious cuz my family is planning a eurotrip then

anyway back on topic.. i never really got any confirmation on what the last day of school was for MSI, is it the 21st? its confusing cuz the monday after says 'no classes b/c of holiday on that google calendar.

im curious cuz my family is planning a eurotrip then

Well, I don't know how to answer your questions because:

1) I don't have a copy of the official calender for your year.
2) Dates are subject to change.

Judging from the Google Calender, it looks like you guys are going to have your EOY and Shelf exam on the 090511, just a weekend away from your Renal final. Then you have a little less than a week until you take your CSA (two interviews with standarized pt). You could be scheduled for your CSA anytime during the CSA testing period. The school will send you a schedule when the time nears. Unofficially, it looks as if the last possible day of school is going to be 090521 (assuming you pass everything and don't need to do any remediation), for you guys. I can't be sure, though, since I'm looking at a secondary source.

However, things can and do change. We were supposed to have our EOY and Shelf exams on 080516 and have our CSA's between 080512 to 080515, but instead, we had our EOY and Shelf exams on 080519 and our CSA's between 080520 to 080523 (I had mine on the 21st).

cool thanks for the clarification. Are you doing any research over the summer or taking a break? are a lot of students?

cool thanks for the clarification. Are you doing any research over the summer or taking a break? are a lot of students?

A few students are engaged in research, some are shadowing physicians, some are in summer classes for the DO/MBA program, or the Bioethics Master's, some are working, some are taking the summer off and doing something fun. I am not doing any of those things. My summer got a bit messed up because I was waiting around for my HPSP scholarship to come through. However, as soon as everything clears, I am going to try to have some fun with my last summer off, unless I am order to go to COT for the remainder of the summer. I might do some advanced shadowing. We'll see.

Well, I don't know how to answer your questions because:

1) I don't have a copy of the official calender for your year.
2) Dates are subject to change.

Judging from the Google Calender, it looks like you guys are going to have your EOY and Shelf exam on the 090511, just a weekend away from your Renal final. Then you have a little less than a week until you take your CSA (two interviews with standarized pt). You could be scheduled for your CSA anytime during the CSA testing period. The school will send you a schedule when the time nears. Unofficially, it looks as if the last possible day of school is going to be 090521 (assuming you pass everything and don't need to do any remediation), for you guys. I can't be sure, though, since I'm looking at a secondary source.

However, things can and do change. We were supposed to have our EOY and Shelf exams on 080516 and have our CSA's between 080512 to 080515, but instead, we had our EOY and Shelf exams on 080519 and our CSA's between 080520 to 080523 (I had mine on the 21st).

On one insert they have Medical Decision Making starting June 8 and ending July 25th in both MS I and MS II columns. I was under the impression that we have the summer off after the first year. I'm assuming this is some sort of typo as they have the summer semester beginning on May 19th... kinda hard to start a semester when the previous one hasn't ended. They don't have you fooling with this class this year do they, Spice?

Um.. nevermind... you were answering as I was posting...

Last edited:
On one insert they have Medical Decision Making starting June 8 and ending July 25th in both MS I and MS II columns. I was under the impression that we have the summer off after the first year. I'm assuming this is some sort of typo as they have the summer semester beginning on May 19th... kinda hard to start a semester when the previous one hasn't ended. They don't have you fooling with this class this year do they, Spice?

Yeah, I think it's a typo. MDM is a MS-II class (unless something has changed from my year). I'll need to do it next year. Assuming nothing has changed from my year, you should have the summer between MS-I and MS-II off, as you correctly surmised.

What are Remediation Exams and why are there exams in the middle of the summer (i.e. July 10)? What if you are planning on being gone for the summer?

Just picked up todays mail and still nada on the matriculation stuff. :smuggrin:

What are Remediation Exams and why are there exams in the middle of the summer (i.e. July 10)? What if you are planning on being gone for the summer?

Remediation exams are only for students that fail a section. If you fail, you must come back in the summer to take a test to move on to the second year.

ditto.. but i got a jury duty notice for august 24th... jokes on them!

Nice....

For those of you who are wondering about the equipment purchase, you seem to need to talk to Dr. Desai about purchasing alternate equipment. He told me that my Littmann Cardiology III would be fine, but he'd have to inspect my ADC multi-cuff bp kit and oto/opthalmoscope set to make sure they meet his requirements. That would take place orientation week. So this is good info to know. I would imagine that the Littmann Master Cardiology would be fine as well, but I didn't ask as I don't have one... just yet.

I'm quitting my job in 22 days, y'all... then off to roam the countryside in search of golf (kinda like a cross between Tiger Woods and Cain from "Kung-Fu" but without the skills of either...) It's getting close. I got an email from my "Big Brother". They were considerate enough to match me up with a fellow Louisianan and LSU grad... they must know we're out of control... :D I hope life is treating y'all well!

alex you got an email address for that? I wear hearing aids so im invariably going to need to do something about a stethoscope outside of th enorm.

alex you got an email address for that? I wear hearing aids so im invariably going to need to do something about a stethoscope outside of th enorm.

I hope this is helpful. [email protected] . He responded pretty quick to my note... seemed to be nice.

Alright, So I am a ***** and when I was "click happy" and ordering books ect from amazon I must have clicked a quantity button inadvertantly and therefore accidentally ordered 2 Rohen's (dead pics) anatomy flashcards. Due to MY mistake, Id be willing to sell them cheaper than amazon so PM me if your interested and we'll work something out.

i might be interested in that.. but i gotta check out this new program coming out on the iphone first thats supposed to be able to replace the flash cards... (anyone else see that demo on the apple wwdc keynote?)

also alex u were right about prompt replies.. took him 90 seconds.

i might be interested in that.. but i gotta check out this new program coming out on the iphone first thats supposed to be able to replace the flash cards... (anyone else see that demo on the apple wwdc keynote?)

also alex u were right about prompt replies.. took him 90 seconds.

That's one more reason for me to replace my BlackBerry with an iPhone. So I asked this way back when, but do we have any avid golfers in our class? It's gonna be a big adjustment for me not to be able to play year round, although I'm so bad that no one would noticed anyway. I'm still wondering whether or not I'll even have time to get in some rounds (would it be worth even bringing my clubs...)

That's one more reason for me to replace my BlackBerry with an iPhone. So I asked this way back when, but do we have any avid golfers in our class? It's gonna be a big adjustment for me not to be able to play year round, although I'm so bad that no one would noticed anyway. I'm still wondering whether or not I'll even have time to get in some rounds (would it be worth even bringing my clubs...)

avid golfer no way, but i golfed for th efirst time in 3 years on saturday actually and got really into it despite playing pretty terribly.

i played 9 holes and it generally took me par + 1 to get to the green. I have a wicked right slice on my drives that ill have to work on hehe. my putting game is actually quite decent for someone who doesnt play. I sank 3 puts over 10 ft :) and made all my close putts.

anyways, to the point, id love to play with u when we can provided u can tolerate someone well behind your assumed skill level for a while until i learn how to play.

P.S. when the iphone 3G comes out u can basically get it for free cuz ATT will subsidize the cost with the contract that you have to sign anyway.. its a no brainer if u want an iphone. Epocrates is creating a native app too.

avid golfer no way, but i golfed for th efirst time in 3 years on saturday actually and got really into it despite playing pretty terribly.

i played 9 holes and it generally took me par + 1 to get to the green. I have a wicked right slice on my drives that ill have to work on hehe. my putting game is actually quite decent for someone who doesnt play. I sank 3 puts over 10 ft :) and made all my close putts.

anyways, to the point, id love to play with u when we can provided u can tolerate someone well behind your assumed skill level for a while until i learn how to play.

P.S. when the iphone 3G comes out u can basically get it for free cuz ATT will subsidize the cost with the contract that you have to sign anyway.. its a no brainer if u want an iphone. Epocrates is creating a native app too.

I play with people of all skill levels. I average about 100 - 110 when I play anything around a 6800 yard course. I've only broken 90 once. So, yeah, I'm not good or anything... I just love playing. I'm one of those people who likes challenges even if I'll never master them. Putting used to be the strongest part of my game, but as of late, I'm loving situations where I can play my 5 - 7 irons. I got this hybrid fairway wood that has been a beast for me the past few months. Anyway, yeah, we'll have to hit up some golf before it gets to cold up there. :thumbup:

I have a question about the matriculation packet. The multi-page yellow insert said there was a health insurance verification form included in the packet. Did anyone ever find that form? I don't see it. That is the absolute last thing that I need to make my file complete.

what exactly is the matriculation packet? i havent gotten anything from them recently except a financial aid packet and the stuff for my immunizations etc.

what exactly is the matriculation packet? i havent gotten anything from them recently except a financial aid packet and the stuff for my immunizations etc.

The matriculation packet has info on the White Coating Ceremony, computer network usage policy, testing schedule, orientation week, health insurance, mentoring programs, the name of your Big Brother, etc. There's a few inserts that have to be returned by June 27th, so I'd give them a call if you don't have it by tomorrow.

They called me today and said that they had sent it out, but it got returned to the University. This was no doubt due to the fact that I had my college address forwarded to my current address and the postal service didnt get the hint. (odd because Im still getting bills) ? Call em up Pokerdoc might be a similiar situation for you.

I didn't see the Health Insurance verification form in my packet either, but I have a copy of it that Ruth forwarded to me a while back when I had inquired what my file was missing. I'm going to try and attach it here...if that doesn't work then message me and I can e-mail it to anyone who needs it.

Attachments

• Health Insurance Verification.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 135
I didn't see the Health Insurance verification form in my packet either, but I have a copy of it that Ruth forwarded to me a while back when I had inquired what my file was missing. I'm going to try and attach it here...if that doesn't work then message me and I can e-mail it to anyone who needs it.

Yeah I ended up calling them again. They emailed me one, but I thank you very much. So I dropped it in the mail Now I'm done. Maybe they'll send me that secret handshake we were talking about some time ago... :rolleyes:

Count me in! :D I heart golf but totally suck. I just got to follow Tiger et al at the US Open this weekend in person! :wow: I am inspired to get back to the game! Didn't I hear something about a KCUMB annual golf tournament? At least we'll have one round a year....

well we def gotta golf orientation week.. or maybe even the weekend of the 2nd before orientation starts.

well we def gotta golf orientation week.. or maybe even the weekend of the 2nd before orientation starts.
ooooh! Please count me in, too! I'd just decided a few months ago that I want to get back into the sport (I was most improved girl golfer in 7th grade, haha), but I can never find anyone who wants to play with me. I just bought new golf shoes and everything!

Ditto on the golf. I'm pretty horrible, haven't played in a few years, but recently became re-interested in the sport. My "big brother" said they still manage time to go so I think I'll have to check out some of KC's courses this summer.

Count me in! :D I heart golf but totally suck. I just got to follow Tiger et al at the US Open this weekend in person! :wow: I am inspired to get back to the game! Didn't I hear something about a KCUMB annual golf tournament? At least we'll have one round a year....

Ok, Qwerty... I'm jealous. Seriously. About the only notable golfer I've seen in person is Justin Leonard and that was a few years ago at the Texas Open... not exactly Tiger Woods. It was hot enough out there for me to start halucinating, so maybe at the time I thought he was...

Now on getting some golf together, I am all for it. I won't be in town till August 1st. And obviously the begining of orientation week will be busy. Maybe we can work something out for that weekend. I don't know what the average cost is for the city courses over there, but I'm used to paying about $40 for 18 w/cart. I'll look up some places later today and see what everybody thinks. The more people who want to go, the merrier.

I hope life is treating y'all well!

I played off and on through highschool, started to actually get good enough to where I was really enjoying it and becoming competitive. Played twice in college and embarresed myself. * Ditto to the wicked right slice pokerdoc. However I'd like to play to hopefully improve on my patience as well as game.

PS. Ill be in town the 27th or 28th of July.

I wasn't sure about that Medical Decision Making Course next summer either, but it was listed on the calendar sent in the matriculation packet for MS1 students.

I also did not receive the health insurance verification packet. Thanks for posting that Iowa08.

I live in the KC area about 5 miles from KCUMB, so if any of you out-of-towners need some help getting set up here, let me know.

Ok, Qwerty... I'm jealous. Seriously. About the only notable golfer I've seen in person is Justin Leonard and that was a few years ago at the Texas Open... not exactly Tiger Woods. It was hot enough out there for me to start halucinating, so maybe at the time I thought he was...

Now on getting some golf together, I am all for it. I won't be in town till August 1st. And obviously the begining of orientation week will be busy. Maybe we can work something out for that weekend. I don't know what the average cost is for the city courses over there, but I'm used to paying about $40 for 18 w/cart. I'll look up some places later today and see what everybody thinks. The more people who want to go, the merrier.

I hope life is treating y'all well!

That Sat or Sun after Orient week works great for me too! Yes, the more the merrier. Hey MissMaryMac, glad I wont be the only girl on the course (high-five!). Thanks for doing the research for us Alex. My brother lives in KC and I'll ask him for some suggestions on courses.

Last edited:
yup.. kcumb sent my matriculation package to my old address and my stupid former roommate never even told me.. thanks to both parties..
anyway, despite me having corrected my address with them when I had my financial aid info sent to the wrong address, I had to correct it again.. so ill prob get the package by end of the week and now have to rush to get all the forms in.. is it a lot?

yup.. kcumb sent my matriculation package to my old address and my stupid former roommate never even told me.. thanks to both parties..
anyway, despite me having corrected my address with them when I had my financial aid info sent to the wrong address, I had to correct it again.. so ill prob get the package by end of the week and now have to rush to get all the forms in.. is it a lot?

There is a lot of information, but only 3 or 4 forms you have to return by the 27th. One is a network usage/blackboard form. There's a workout/student activity center usuage form. There's the health insurance verification form... just download that from Iowa's post (thanks again, Iowa) and there's a medical equipment order form (but you've already talk to the guy I gave you the info for).

I would also like to go golfing as well. Maybe we can get a list together and organize something as a group for those interested. I have no idea what courses are around the school as I am from the Chicago area, but I am sure there are many.

wow i just got accepted to albany medical college.. things are going to get very difficult for me to decide on these next couple of days :scared: