KCUMB Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In my acceptance packet, they recommended getting medical terminology a systems approach 5th edition and reading over the summer.

Do you guys think it would be worth my time getting it, and is it very helpful?

I wouldn't waste your money or time on that book. I didn't read it and faired just fine. In fact, the majority of people I know either bought it and didn't find it that useful or didn't buy it and faired fine. One colleague specifically told me that if you paid attention in your science classes throughout college, you should be fine with respect to medical terminology, when we were discussing the terminology book last year.

Anyway, ERF will drill you on medical terminology. It's the least of your concerns.

Members don't see this ad.

hey spiced when do u guys finish up this year? how does it feel to almost be done with year 1?

hey spiced when do u guys finish up this year? how does it feel to almost be done with year 1?

I've been done since the 21st of May. :D

Well, it feels like quite an accomplishment. I'm at once awed by the amount of stuff that I have learned this year and the amount that I do not know. I feel more at ease with my studies and that I have learned how to learn at medical school pace and intensity. I am looking forward to finishing up the pre-clinical years and moving onto rotations. Even though it seems like a while away, I know it is just around the corner. MS-I flew by very quickly; it's like a blur and a flash. Overall, I'd say that MS-I was a very challenging year and I am proud of myself and my colleagues for making it through. We all shared a lot of hardship together, but also a lot of laughs, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats awesome.. what would you tell the august 2007 version of yourself if you could go back in time and tell him something important? what about studying did you learn helped you

Not to steal Pokerdocs question. ( Im anxious to hear spiced response as well) but has anybody recieved a matriculation packet? I just sent my official transcripts in so will I have to wait until they are verified or whatever?

Not to steal Pokerdocs question. ( Im anxious to hear spiced response as well) but has anybody recieved a matriculation packet? I just sent my official transcripts in so will I have to wait until they are verified or whatever?

just call the admissions office with your question, theyve been really helpful whenever i had a question

just call the admissions office with your question, theyve been really helpful whenever i had a question

So I take it you got yours then? IF they mailed them out recently Ill receive it dead last most likely. I live in BFE

what would you tell the august 2007 version of yourself if you could go back in time and tell him something important?

Just one thing? Wow, well, that's tough, because there probably several comments I might be tempted to say. However, the most important thing I can probably say is to NEVER FALL BEHIND. I cannot emphasize this enough. I threw everything I had into the first section, FOM, studied pretty inefficiently, and I stumbled out with an A- in that section, but I burned myself out a bit in the process. Consequently, I fell a bit behind in MSK and I've been behind in various degrees since then, because, being behind, there was no buffer zone, so any little thing that happened in my life could take me further behind. It's very hard to catch up when you get behind and if you manage to take up the slack, it will cost you a lot of precious energy. However, somehow, I managed to compensate for all that by studying more effeciently and effectively. After FOM, I coasted at a B/B+ level for the rest of the first year.

Dear incoming students, learn to stay ahead of the material. At the very least, stay on top of it. Falling behind in medical school is costly at best and sometimes fatal to your academic career.

Most of the test questions come directly from the notes. STUDY THE NOTES. All other resources, unless specifically indicated, are there to help you understand the notes and the concepts delineated in them. I didn't understand this at first, so I studied everything like I would in undergrad. No, that is ineffective. Reading countless pages in thick, incomprehensible textbooks won't help you that much, and indeed can suck away time and energy, unless you are using them appropriately. Realize that they are adjuncts to the class notes. If you understand the notes, then you don't need to waste time reading textbooks, unless you have extra time, which is rare. Make sure you understand the concepts though. You can actually do quite well on the tests without truly understanding what you are doing, but it'll hurt you when boards come around. Therefore, if there is something you don't understand in the notes, do take the time to use other resources to help you understand.

Ideally, I recommend a preview/review system for studying. You want to quickly preview the notes (half an hour to an hour, more if necessary, but I wouldn't recommend it) prior to class. This sets it up so that you can receive the information a bit easier, when lectured on it. Then, right after class, immediately study the notes that you were lectured on. Take your time on doing this. It helps cement the material in your mind. If you have the time and energy, make your own summary of the notes/lecture, and/or flesh out the learning objectives. This can save you a bit of time. Review the material again. Then before the exam, review the material at least once again.

Take a look at my prior posts on the individual professors for hints on how to approach the subject matter/professors. I hope you find them helpful.

Don't let the school freak you out. They have something called JiTT ("Just in time teaching," or something like that) Quizzes on a regular basis. They are online quizzes supposedly based on your lectures and generally used to see how well the material was taught. These quizzes can be a bit tough. Don't let them psych you out. You don't need to pass them to get credit. You get credit simply by doing them. Don't sweat the JiTT quizzes. If you have no idea where the question is coming from, nobody else does either. The averages on these JiTT quizzes are not spectacular. Just do them and get the points. Also, definitely do well on the actual section quizzes, but realize that what is often going to make or break you is the final exam, which generally make up the majority of the points for the section. Practicals are important, too, since you have to pass them and often they will have a higher point value than the section quizzes.

The school loves to place the section final and all your practicals in the same week or so. Studying for all these at the same time can be a nightmare. Learn to use your time effectively. Sometimes, you have to triage your situation and come up with a good game plan on how to approach the week so that you can pass everything, but weighting the points accordingly. You probably don't have to do this as much if you NEVER FALL BEHIND, like I said, earlier.

For the pathology, I highly recommend doing Quizbank. It is where most, if not all, of your pathology didactic questions are going to come from. Read ERF's notes if you have time, but they are pretty dense. Generally, his notes are very informative. I only ever had time to skim them. If you can, make the time to at least skim them, since extra credit questions may come from them. Also, make sure to look at as many pictures/slides as possible. At least review all the linked pictures noted in his lectures and slice of life. Do more if you have time. Use the pathology resources listed on his websites for additional places to view pictures. Use Google Images, too. Get a pathology tutor and get powerpoint slide presentations prepared by prior classes. Review ERF's old pathology tests and practicals, which are available on his website. Do the Pathology Sign-outs without unnecessary delay.

For your path presentation, write it up using a SOAP note format and be as accurate as possible. If ERF ever asks you something, don't ever make anything up. Just say you don't know, if you truly don't know. Make sure you list normal lab values (using the sources ERF gives you), when you list the patient's labs. Also, if there is particularly difficult word you have to say during the presentation, make sure you review how to pronounce it before you do your actual presentation. Don't forget to have Dr. Garcia and/or Dr. Yagoda look at your presentation prior to presenting.

For anatomy lab, make sure you take the Lab List and learn everything on it, without exception. Try to identify everything on the list on as many cadavars as possible. Enlist the help of a tutor to guide you, but also to show you how things need to be written and how things are tagged. This is how to succeed. You'll probably have to come early in the mornings, or stay late after classes to review the list. It's worth it. MSK anatomy is tough. Put in the extra time. You won't regret it. Also, make sure to join SOMA (I think that's the club, but now I don't remember) for the mock practical.

Lastly, while it's easy to get overwhelmed with studying all the time, make sure to take your head out of the books regularly. You will feel tired a lot, if you don't change your scene. Definitely take the time to hang out with friends and see a movie, or go out into town, or workout, or whatever makes you happy. I didn't do enough of this, so I was feeling a bit socially isolated and weary. I'm going to change that for my MS-II year.

Anyway, take my suggestions and comments with a few grains of salt. They are just the incoherent ramblings of a incoming 2nd year, who scored decently, but not extraordinarily, his first year. Get several opinions and adjust for individual preferences. Good luck, Class of 2012. Drop me a line, if you need any help.

Last edited:
Most of the test questions come directly from the notes. STUDY THE NOTES. All other resources, unless specifically indicated, are there to help you understand the notes and the concepts delineated in them. I didn't understand this at first, so I studied everything like I would in undergrad. No, that is ineffective. Reading countless pages in thick, incomprehensible textbooks won't help you that much, and indeed can suck away time and energy, unless you are using them appropriately. Realize that they are adjuncts to the class notes. If you understand the notes, then you don't need to waste time reading textbooks, unless you have extra time, which is rare.

I recently asked a 3rd year to be a question about daily studying and this is EXACTLY what she said. She said the only books she frequented were physiology and embryology from time to time to help better understand notes given.

It sucks to have to do this, but I have deferred entrance for a year. It's a long and complicated story but it appears I will be attempting to adopt a child out of the foster care system and will have to be going to court a lot over the next year. My house hasn't sold so I will have to get more aggressive about that also so I have enough money to move down to KC next year. It's sad, but I know it's the right thing to do. I hope you all have great year. :D

It sucks to have to do this, but I have deferred entrance for a year. It's a long and complicated story but it appears I will be attempting to adopt a child out of the foster care system and will have to be going to court a lot over the next year. My house hasn't sold so I will have to get more aggressive about that also so I have enough money to move down to KC next year. It's sad, but I know it's the right thing to do. I hope you all have great year. :D

aww man!! :(

best of luck to you in adopting a new child! Do you want a boy or girl?

aww man!! :(

best of luck to you in adopting a new child! Do you want a boy or girl?

He is a 5 yr old boy and I already have 3 and 10 year old boys.

He is a 5 yr old boy and I already have 3 and 10 year old boys.

It sucks that you won't be around, but it's really a wonderful thing to be making that type of impact in a child's life. I say "cheers" to you. The world is a better place because of people like you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Thats a really awesome thing t-funk. Best wishes to you and your family and we'll see ya next year on campus !

3 boys, thats awesome!.. we'll miss ya nex tyear tfunk, you were with us among the originals

anyone chose a lender yet? so far to me it looks like wells fargo seems best of those on kcumbs packet
also is there any bank on campus?

Last edited:
I will add to what spiced has said. I totally agree about not falling behind, it happened to me in Renal, our last section, and I was sweating finals. Definitely stay on top of your material, but I will say I don't pre-read the notes, and I do well. I don't pre-read because sometimes lecturers change their presentations, or we never get the notes, or it's a guest lecturer who may fail to show.

Several people don't even go to class and do well. It all depends on the quality of the notes, and your ability to comprehend the material.
My advice is to find the study habits that fit you best, and STICK with them until the end. If you need to go to class and it works, do it, and vice versa. Some people highlight and read the notes, others annotate the notes, while others make note cards. Find what works for you.

For Path, I use quizbank as well, but don't depend on it, because ERF doesn't always pull questions from there. Plus if you just memorize the questions and don't understand what's going on you will be screwed later.
My caveat to quizbank is that ERF didn't write the questions. Some dude made the program years ago, and with that being said, there are some very out dates factoids in there. I have seen several questions with wrong info because medicine is always evolving, but the program is still old. But it does indicate you know your stuff when you can spot these out dates pieces.

Thanks for the well wishes Alex, Diver, and Poker. It means a lot to me that you guys took the time to respond. I hope you all have a great time this year and then give me all your notes and tests so that I can have a leg up next year and tick my class mates off. Totally kidding. :D:cool:

I was wondering where you'd been... best of luck. :thumbup:

Thanks, good luck also! :D

Hey Alex, I saw you posted on the facebook group page and whats this I hear about a free I touch???? Also, I am very attracted to the Macbook Pro, however, its nearly 1K more than the new Macbook with nearly the same capabilities on a smaller screen. Will the Macbook be enough to fullfill requirements for KCUMB? ( I am computer/technology ******ed)

Thanks

Hey Alex, I saw you posted on the facebook group page and whats this I hear about a free I touch???? Also, I am very attracted to the Macbook Pro, however, its nearly 1K more than the new Macbook with nearly the same capabilities on a smaller screen. Will the Macbook be enough to fullfill requirements for KCUMB? ( I am computer/technology ******ed)

Thanks

I have the computer requirements the KCUMB sent with the budget adjustment request. Yes, the MacBook will be more than good enough. I got the MacBook Pro just because I wanted one. Besides, when I leave work they will be paying me 6 weeks of vacation time and another week of sick time. This is my present for enduring 4 years of forensic boredom. As far as the iPod Touch goes, if you buy a Mac with your education discount between now and Sept and buy an 8GB nano or Touch, you'll get a rebate up to $299 (making the Touch free). I knew that they were going to be doing the iPod deal like they do every summer, but I thought it would just be on the nanos. If any of you need the budget adjustment forms or the requirements, I've scanned them and can email them to you.

For those who know, what is the political enviornment like at KCUMB? Not to start a war on here but how liberal vs. conservative is KCUMB?

I think you get a good mix of viewpoints from the student body cause people are from all over the country. In terms of the administration I would say it is pretty much very conservative, but I might imagine its that way at most med schools.

FYI keep in mind that the administration reads the students emails so don't say anything bad about them via school email. Also, the tuition is very high and getting higher, but you probably already knew that.

I think you get a good mix of viewpoints from the student body cause people are from all over the country. In terms of the administration I would say it is pretty much very conservative, but I might imagine its that way at most med schools.

FYI keep in mind that the administration reads the students emails so don't say anything bad about them via school email. Also, the tuition is very high and getting higher, but you probably already knew that.

is there a forward option for email? I always forwarded my undergrad mail to my gmail and wrote my emails from gmail unless it was to a professor or something

For those who know, what is the political enviornment like at KCUMB? Not to start a war on here but how liberal vs. conservative is KCUMB?

I agree with KCUMBscarCONTRT. There is a lot of student diversity, but a very conservative and "appearance-oriented" administration. Their priority is all about making the school look better than it really is, so don't do anything that will tarnish their goal. Just stay under the radar, make the best of what you're paying for, and move on. If you do anything to put yourself on the radar, they will retaliate, and possibly to the point where it will affect you far beyond medical school. Also, heed KCUMBscarCONTRT's advice about the school's email. My advice is to use your school email for school-related stuff only, and use your personal email for everything else.

how often do tornados hit KC?

Not sure about KC.. But Kansas itself gets quite a bit. This year has broke records actually. Dont worry though Pokerdoc, I got a basement. :thumbup:

twisters scare the **** out of me cuz ive lived in New England my entire life and we never get violent storms

twisters scare the **** out of me cuz ive lived in New England my entire life and we never get violent storms

Don't sweat it too much. I live in tornado alley in Alabama and you get used to them. It's sort of like earthquakes being no big deal to Californians. ;)

Don't sweat it too much. I live in tornado alley in Alabama and you get used to them. It's sort of like earthquakes being no big deal to Californians. ;)

id be scared of earthquakes too lol

id be scared of earthquakes too lol

There was an earthquake earlier this year that was felt here. Being woken up in the early a.m. to a shaking bed and things rattling was new to me. It was more than a little unsettling. :eek:

yah i plan on placing a few lava lamps on the edge of shelves in my CT apartment.. theres no room for an earthquake :p

yah i plan on placing a few lava lamps on the edge of shelves in my CT apartment.. theres no room for an earthquake :p

That is one reason I would never visit California. Just my luck, there would be a
major quake as soon as the plane landed. Hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, locusts... these things I can handle. Terra Firma not being "firma" would cause irreparable psychological damage... that and waking up with a spider on my face. :scared:

Last edited:
K-state just got hit, one of their dorms got messed up, a true value store is a pile of rubble. My friend put pics up on facebook like it was a normal June afternoon. :cool:

I don't know how many of you use Gmail or Google Calendar on its own (I highly recommend both) but I have a created a public calendar with all of the quizzes, practicals, breaks, etc. for us MS1 students. Just search for KCUMB MS1 2008-09. If you prefer to use Outlook, or some other calendar, I think you can import the Google calendar into Outlook.

Cheers ;)

nice thats awesome lyric.. thanks..

does that apply for next year?

I agree with KCUMBscarCONTRT. There is a lot of student diversity, but a very conservative and "appearance-oriented" administration. Their priority is all about making the school look better than it really is, so don't do anything that will tarnish their goal. Just stay under the radar, make the best of what you're paying for, and move on. If you do anything to put yourself on the radar, they will retaliate, and possibly to the point where it will affect you far beyond medical school. Also, heed KCUMBscarCONTRT's advice about the school's email. My advice is to use your school email for school-related stuff only, and use your personal email for everything else.

I think that is just about exactly right - "make the school look better it really is" - don't be fooled by new buildings or smiling ambassadors, there are plenty of things KCUMB needs to improve upon, especially considering you are paying $40,000/yr to go there - these include direction and instruction 3rd/4th year, quality of education, curriculum, the tuition its self, the schools investment of money in things other than the school, the amount of money that certain administration people make - see President Pletz's salary of 1.2 million/yr, the ability to retain faculty (a large number of faculty have left the school over the last 1-2 years because of the administration), etc...

nice thats awesome lyric.. thanks..

does that apply for next year?

The calendar that was put up is the 2008 - 2009 MS I calendar. See, the school should use some of these advances in technology that we have. Is it not much quicker to sync a gCalender with iCal or Sunbird, rather than wait for one in the mail?

awesome stuff... also, quick question: are 'quizzes' the same thing as exams?

or are they shorter

i have a wedding in vermont to go to on sept 5th and i noticed "
8amQuiz2-FOM" on sept 8th

awesome stuff... also, quick question: are 'quizzes' the same thing as exams?

or are they shorter

i have a wedding in vermont to go to on sept 5th and i noticed "
8amQuiz2-FOM" on sept 8th

The same as in their both tests, but quizzes are shorter than exams and cover material from the beginning of a section up to that quiz, or from the first lecture after the last quiz up to that quiz. Exams are more comprehensive and cover all of the material from a section. Though quizzes are worth less points, my advice is to not blow off any quizzes.

The same as in their both tests, but quizzes are shorter than exams and cover material from the beginning of a section up to that quiz, or from the first lecture after the last quiz up to that quiz. Exams are more comprehensive and cover all of the material from a section. Though quizzes are worth less points, my advice is to not blow off any quizzes.

yeah i dont plan on blowing it off... the wedding is friday ill prob fly out thursday evening and study that night in the hotel.. enjoy the wedding all friday and fly back that night and study back in kc sat and sun. of couse giving myself enough study time before i even leave so i can sacrifice the one day

i will say though, the scheduling at the end of the year is a bit confusing.. whats the absolute last day of the MSI year?

Also, what is the shelf exam? I thought that was a third year thing?

Last edited:
yeah i dont plan on blowing it off... the wedding is friday ill prob fly out thursday evening and study that night in the hotel.. enjoy the wedding all friday and fly back that night and study back in kc sat and sun. of couse giving myself enough study time before i even leave so i can sacrifice the one day

i will say though, the scheduling at the end of the year is a bit confusing.. whats the absolute last day of the MSI year?

Also, what is the shelf exam? I thought that was a third year thing?

I can't comment on your study habits, but you know how you study best. Just know that med school is a completely different beast from undergrad, so do your best not to fall behind. Good luck with finding your groove.

The absoulte last day of MSI is typically the last day of exams.

The shelf exam is a previous board exam they give you to assess your knowledge to date (it helps you as well). KCUMB only gives shelf exams at the end of every year (MSI-MSIII). The 1st 2 yrs are old COMLEX exams and the 3rd yr is an old NBME assessment (this may change by your 3rd yr if COMLEX II assessments become available). You do not have true shelf exams at the end of every section or rotation. Instead, you have section exams at the end of each section (test questions from lecturers during that section) and an online exam after each rotation (questions come from a question bank). At the end of the 1st 2 yrs, you have an end of year exam with questions from all sections in addition to the shelf exam.

I can't comment on your study habits, but you know how you study best. Just know that med school is a completely different beast from undergrad, so do your best not to fall behind. Good luck with finding your groove.

The absoulte last day of MSI is typically the last day of exams.

The shelf exam is a previous board exam they give you to assess your knowledge to date (it helps you as well). KCUMB only gives shelf exams at the end of every year (MSI-MSIII). The 1st 2 yrs are old COMLEX exams and the 3rd yr is an old NBME assessment (this may change by your 3rd yr if COMLEX II assessments become available). You do not have true shelf exams at the end of every section or rotation. Instead, you have section exams at the end of each section (test questions from lecturers during that section) and an online exam after each rotation (questions come from a question bank). At the end of the 1st 2 yrs, you have an end of year exam with questions from all sections in addition to the shelf exam.

I agree with much of what was said here. However, I want to note that the "Shelf Exam" at the end of MS-I year is actually an NBME Comprehensive Basic Sciences Examination., not an old COMLEX exam, or whatnot. It doesn't count for any points, but is mandatory. The topics cover the first two years of medical school, so don't be shocked if you see a lot of MS-II topics, such as neuro, repro, SB&L, etc. It was a hard freaking exam and I think I'll be lucky if I got 5% on it. As I read the questions, I thought I should know the answers, because many of the topics were familiar, but my brain crapped out a lot. It was a very rigorous exam to say the least, and eventually my brain got tired. Don't sweat it too much, though. Take it with a grain of salt, since you are taking a comprehensive examination for the first two years of medical school at the end of MS-I. I have no idea why we must take it at the end of MS-I, when it seems more appropriate after MS-II. By the way, I think the NBME also puts out the USMLE, so I am guess ing that there may be some similarities to question style between the USMLE and the NBME Comprehensive Basic Sciences Shelf Exam that we must take, but it's only a guess.

Also at the end of MS-I is a cumulative final exam, put out by the school (your professors), that includes all the major topics covered in your first year. Part of it presents questions based on clinical scenarios and part of it has stand alone questions. Although the exam seems overwhelming, this exam is actually very doable and you'll remember more than you thought you would. The MS-I cumulative final doesn't count for points, but you MUST pass it to be promoted to MS-II, thus it is P/F.

I agree with much of what was said here. However, I want to note that the "Shelf Exam" at the end of MS-I year is actually an NBME Comprehensive Basic Sciences Examination., not an old COMLEX exam, or whatnot. It doesn't count for any points, but is mandatory. The topics cover the first two years of medical school, so don't be shocked if you see a lot of MS-II topics, such as neuro, repro, SB&L, etc. It was a hard freaking exam and I think I'll be lucky if I got 5% on it. As I read the questions, I thought I should know the answers, because many of the topics were familiar, but my brain crapped out a lot. It was a very rigorous exam to say the least, and eventually my brain got tired. Don't sweat it too much, though. Take it with a grain of salt, since you are taking a comprehensive examination for the first two years of medical school at the end of MS-I. I have no idea why we must take it at the end of MS-I, when it seems more appropriate after MS-II. By the way, I think the NBME also puts out the USMLE, so I am guess ing that there may be some similarities to question style between the USMLE and the NBME Comprehensive Basic Sciences Shelf Exam that we must take, but it's only a guess.

Also at the end of MS-I is a cumulative final exam, put out by the school (your professors), that includes all the major topics covered in your first year. Part of it presents questions based on clinical scenarios and part of it has stand alone questions. Although the exam seems overwhelming, this exam is actually very doable and you'll remember more than you thought you would. The MS-I cumulative final doesn't count for points, but you MUST pass it to be promoted to MS-II, thus it is P/F.

A NBME Comprehensive exam? You are correct, the NBME writes the USMLE. Wow. (I guess this is cheaper than the COMLEX I shelf though this is a DO school and the COMLEX is needed to graduate). Also, take the shelf exam seriously. They use the overall class score to obtain an average compared to your peers across the country, at least when I was there). If you don't take it seriously and they find out, this is something that you will get dinged on for professionalism.

As far as the end of the year exam, you'll should do fine as long as you don't fall behind in any sections.

Spiced, you're closer to them at this stage of education than I am. Please continue to chime in on things that have changed from my experience. :)

So which is it, the quizzes cover only 'new' material. That is, it covers material lectured upon since the previous quiz? OR is it cumulative up to that point? Or does it vary between systems?

Thanks

I think the way KCUMB has their testing/quizzes system setup is a good way to keep students on top of material and to not make exams such monsters as some PBL programs have. I would much rather have frequent exams that cover less material (albeit more than undergrad), than 2-3 tests in a semester that would make me vomit with anxiety.

So which is it, the quizzes cover only 'new' material. That is, it covers material lectured upon since the previous quiz? OR is it cumulative up to that point? Or does it vary between systems?

Thanks

Section quizzes, generally worth much less than the section final, or section midterm (if there is one given; section midterms are given for long sections, like Cardiopulm), cover only the material since the last respective section quiz. The section final is cumulative with respect to it's section. All sections, with the exception of Cardiopulm, are approximately six weeks long, and generally include 2-3 quizzes and one section final, which is cumulative of all of the material for the section. In cardiopulm, which is about 12 weeks long (if I remember correctly), you have several quizzes, a midterm (which is cumulative up to the point it is given), and a section final (which is inclusive of the material covered after the midterm, if I remember correctly, but I'm not completely sure; it's all a blur at this point). The only exam that is inclusive of all sections is the end of the year final.

Last edited: