KCUMB Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Alex - about the golf list. I have zero familiarity with golf customs and etiquette. Are bystanders acceptable? I'd be interested in watching, but I've never swung a club in my life and am convinced something requiring medical attention would occur. Not a good idea with a bunch of almost MSI's around (most with some healthcare experience and everyone eager to play doctor - one person offering their catheter insertion skills, another their suture observation experience, "I've seen it done dozens of times. I can definitely do it", etc :D ).

Members don't see this ad.

1) How would you current students rate the school's fitness center? And would it be worth getting a membership somewhere? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a bench/smith machine, leg press, free weights, basic stuff. And enough equipment where I'm noting waiting forever to use it.

Well, I think the school's gym is doable, if you want something simple. It's not that large, but it appears to have the basics. I've never actually used it, so I couldn't tell you about it's general usability, or how crowded it gets, however. I once had a membership to the 24hr Fitness in Gladstone and it seemed decent; it had everything I needed, was relatively close, and was open around the clock, something that is good for a busy medical student. It didn't seem too busy to me, but then again, I probably didn't hit the busiest times there. I didn't use much except the free weights and the cardio machines, of which there were quite a few, so I don't know what else they have.

2) My fiance is having issues with her SI joint where its sore and will occasionally cause her leg to tingle. When she can get it to pop it will relieve everything. So I'm thinking (mind you with zero OMT training) that this sounds like something a DO could easily fix. SO my question...Is there a OMT clinic on campus open to the public or do you know of DOs in the area that do a lot of OMT? Or is there an easy "shotgun" technique I could look up and give a try.

Yeah, it sounds like something that OMT can address, but can't say without a complete H & P. We do have an OMT clinic, where some of your FP professors and the OMT fellows can work on you. I know that they work on students, but I don't know if they will work on your fiance. You may wish to ask the clinic, which I think is in the FM dept.

Hey Alex - about the golf list. I have zero familiarity with golf customs and etiquette. Are bystanders acceptable? I'd be interested in watching, but I've never swung a club in my life and am convinced something requiring medical attention would occur. Not a good idea with a bunch of almost MSI's around (most with some healthcare experience and everyone eager to play doctor - one person offering their catheter insertion skills, another their suture observation experience, "I've seen it done dozens of times. I can definitely do it", etc :D ).

Most of the courses I've played allow people to just ride along. Some charge for this, some do not. I guess it would depend on the course. It's not an outrageous request or anything, so don't worry about the etiquette. I still think you should try swinging the club though, and if all else fails, grip it like a hockey stick and have at it. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

I just found out that my antibodies against Hep B aren't reactive, meaning my immunizations from nine years ago are worthless now. I know it takes six months to complete the series, and since I'm planning to start the series this week, I should be done by the end of January. Do any current students know if I'll be missing any early clinical experiences? Can you fast track this thing to get it done by January? Is there a chance that the blood sample drawn was crappy, and I really do have immunity? Any advice/help appreciated!

missmary

Have any of you received your financial aid award letters yet? I am still waiting...

I got mine yesterday. They are being sent via email in the order that they were received by KCUMB.

Spice or anyone else, do you know how the financial aid refund is distributed. Since we don't really have semesters of quarters, do you just get one big check in Aug?

Also, regarding dress code, how long did it take for people to relax and start wearing scrubs?

Spice or anyone else, do you know how the financial aid refund is distributed. Since we don't really have semesters of quarters, do you just get one big check in Aug?

Checks are dispursed twice an academic year, roughly around the beginning of each semester (yes, there are semesters in our academic year). You will receive notice when checks will be given out and you have to pick them up at the FA office. If I remember correctly, we had to wait a bit for the checks...it was a tough wait each time.

Also, regarding dress code, how long did it take for people to relax and start wearing scrubs?

Some transitioned right into scrubs after orientation (I even noticed one guy wearing scrubs during orientation, although I wouldn't recommend it), others might have done so a week later. I don't remember. I think by the end of the first week, most people wore scrubs. Of course, there are always the few that just prefer to dress up. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with going right to scrubs as soon as orientation is over, unless otherwise indicated.