KCUMB Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received the medical/immunization paperwork from KCUMB and it states that the Hep-B series must be completed before starting. I've started the series but won't have my last injection before the semester begins. Are they flexible on this or am I out of luck?

Members don't see this ad.

i dunno but theyre making me submit all of my stuff over again on their forms even though they have all my records staring them in the face. Mildly annoying

I just received the medical/immunization paperwork from KCUMB and it states that the Hep-B series must be completed before starting. I've started the series but won't have my last injection before the semester begins. Are they flexible on this or am I out of luck?

I think a current student previously posted that they will stay on top of you about finishing the series if it's not done before the semester starts. I'd call the school, but I'm pretty sure there's some flexibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must respond to this post as KCUMB's location couldn't be more ideal! KCUMB is well positioned in Pendleton Heights, KC's second oldest neighborhood, recipient of two 2008 historic preservation awards and KC's largest official historic district having just expanded to include nearly every parcel. The city has invested multi millions of dollars in the neighborhoods around the university and is currently planning future development. In fact, there was an organization interviewing students a few weeks ago to see what commercial development would benefit them most...I believe the majority of those interviewed asked for a bookstore and coffee house. So, while you are entitled to your opinion, please know that KCUMB knows exactly what it is doing with embracing it's current locale. The location of KCUMB, currently with nearly 1 billion in investments within 1.5 miles, insures that it will not end up being the diamond in the rock pile. The short and long term investment for KCUMB in it's current location looks great.....it will be a great place for alumni to visit in 5, 10, or even 20 years. Oh Ya...just a quick note of helpful info...the school is beside an urban biking/walking trail, just two minutes from the city market (or a quick bike ride), 4 minutes from the Central Business District, and 8 minutes from the Crossroads Art District. :cool:

I think it's plain for anyone to see that the immediate area around the school is a pretty rough neighborhood. I bet the majority of students will say the same thing. You just need to trust your senses. While I have seen and lived in worse areas, I would not be able to recommend it over many areas of the KCMO metro area, which are significantly better and safer environments for living.

You can choose to listen to this realtor and his or her interesting array of facts, or trust your senses and listen to someone who has actually attended the school. The immediate area around the school isn't horrible, but you should know that it feels a little bit like a ghetto right now, and might even feel worse to you, depending on where you are from and what your urban exposure has been. Where you choose to live is up to you, but definitely do your own research and feel it out yourself. Like choosing a school, don't trust people trying to sell you things.

Hey! Is anyone having troubles with the financial aid packet? I am new to this and dont know how to go about it. If anyone is willing to help, let me know. Thank!

I must respond to this post as KCUMB's location couldn't be more ideal! KCUMB is well positioned in Pendleton Heights, KC's second oldest neighborhood, recipient of two 2008 historic preservation awards and KC's largest official historic district having just expanded to include nearly every parcel. The city has invested multi millions of dollars in the neighborhoods around the university and is currently planning future development. In fact, there was an organization interviewing students a few weeks ago to see what commercial development would benefit them most...I believe the majority of those interviewed asked for a bookstore and coffee house. So, while you are entitled to your opinion, please know that KCUMB knows exactly what it is doing with embracing it's current locale. The location of KCUMB, currently with nearly 1 billion in investments within 1.5 miles, insures that it will not end up being the diamond in the rock pile. The short and long term investment for KCUMB in it's current location looks great.....it will be a great place for alumni to visit in 5, 10, or even 20 years. Oh Ya...just a quick note of helpful info...the school is beside an urban biking/walking trail, just two minutes from the city market (or a quick bike ride), 4 minutes from the Central Business District, and 8 minutes from the Crossroads Art District. :cool:

The area around the school is not the greatest neighborhood. I've definitely seen worse, but this area is nowhere even near "average." Many students (especially those without school-aged children) live at CT (convenience, safety in numbers). IMHO, there are better neighborhoods in that are a short ride to the school. If you have school-aged children, you may be very disappointed with the neighborhood schools.

ill be the first to admit that i didnt very much like the area in front of the school althought it seemed like the area in back of the school.. at least the walk to CT was safe enough.

also the part of the city near the hotel i stayed at (holiday inn) seemed like a nice part of town

also the part of the city near the hotel i stayed at (holiday inn) seemed like a nice part of town

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for interview day. That area did seem nice. I ventured next door to the West Port Flea Market & Grill for some dinner. Excellent burger! :)

haha nice.. i went to the hibachi place.. im ADDICTED to that stuff

Westport and the Plaza are pretty great areas; a bit expensive though. A lot of people live at the CT, but do so because it's convenient. The area around the school is, eh, not that great, but it's liveable if you have a car. A whole bunch of people live in the North Kansas City/Northland area and also in Overland Park, KS (good for families; good school district). Personally, I think the River Market area has some nice lofts, but it's a little on the pricey side as well. I think these areas are considerably better than the area around the school.

So I was hoping to steer our conversation on here back toward productiveness.. below i copied and pasted all the faculty from the KCUMB website.. I was hoping the current students could provide insight into each professor... their strengths, weaknesses, what to know about them ahead of time etc. Even if its only a 1-10 rating on each based on how much you liked them.. anything thatll help.. even if its to say theyre not even faculty anymore.

You can do maybe one section a day or whatever, but hopefully we'll get a good sense after a while.

Anatomy
·. Cole, Maria S..
·. May, Linda E..
·. Stephens, Robert E..
·. Thomas, Pamela P..
·. Wright, Barth.
·. Wright, Kristin.

.Basic Medical Sciences.
Glaros, Alan G.

Biochemistry

·. Adkison, Linda.
·. Bean, Ronald.
·. Chang, Edith Y..
·. Jakobi, Rolf.
·. Phillips, James W..
·. Rushing, Douglas R..
·. Seidler, Norbert W..
·. Zaidi, Asma.

Bioethics

Randolph, Richard

Clinical Research

Clay, Patrick G.

Family Medicine
.Medicine.
Obstetrics-Gynecology
Pathology

·. Friedlander, Edward R..
·. Garcia, Eduardo.
·. Yagoda, William.

Pediatrics

Magie, Richard

Pharmacology-Microbiology

·. Clay, Patrick G..
·. McCandless, Donald L..
·. McRae, Mary Peace.
·. Segars, Larry W..
·. Shnyra, Alexandre.
·. Taylor, Tracey A. H..
Physiology
Preventive Medicine
Surgery

·. Alley, John R..
·. Jewell, William R..
·. Thomas, James H..

A decent professor and a great section director (did a good job directing renal). She has a good sense of humor and likes cats/pets a lot. Dr. Cole teaches a few different subjects, such as anatomy (cardiopulm section), embryology (all sections), and histology (here and there). Her notes don't have a lot of pictures and are pretty dense. Sometimes I have to struggle a bit to follow them. I use BRS Embryology, which she tends to follow fairly closely (pay attention to the questions contained within the volume), and Rapid Review Anatomy/Embryology as adjuncts to the notes and lecture.

I don't think she enjoys teaching embryology a whole lot, but seems happy to teach anatomy. This isn't surprising given her background. She is a large animal anatomist, as far as I remember. I think embryology was thrust upon her. Furthermore, the way our school does embryology makes it more confusing, in my opinion, because it's a bit disjointed due to the system-based nature of the curriculum. I think it would be better to simply follow the developmental timeline. This is unfortunate to some extent. Just do your best to supplement her lectures with a review book, so that you can follow it. Try to keep track of what is happening and when it is happening.

Dr. May is one of my favorite professors. She's fairly new, but doing a good job despite that. She teaches primarly anatomy (cardiopulm) and histology (all sections). Dr. May loves to repeat key points over and over again. Sometimes she makes silly and funny associations with these key points. The bottom line is that you will be entertained and you will remember these key points even at the end of the section. All in all, I'd say that she is a very effective teacher. She puts a lot of color pictures in her presentations and notes. Make sure to go over them and all the other histo pictures that she recommends looking at. They tend to show up in exams. Also, I think she and Dr. Cole put out a histo review occasionally. Make sure to review these pictures.

By the way, I think both Dr. Cole and Dr. May did a good job with cardiopulm anatomy. By the time I took the practical, I really knew my stuff, thanks in part to their teaching style.

Unknown. We haven't had him yet. He teaches primarily neuroanatomy, so I'll be learning from him for my first section, second year.

I think Dr. Thomas is a consumate anatomist. She is incredibly knowledgeable and skilled in her subject. She can pimp you and dissect all at the same time, and while you are busting your brain trying to think of the answer to her questions, she has blunt dissected something like half the cadavar. Of course I am exaggerating a bit, but that's how I felt each time she came by our tank. She is really interested in teaching and helping students. Dr. Thomas really stresses anatomical relationships and clinical correlates, so make sure to know them.

I found her notes a bit hard to follow, for various reasons. However, I was able to supplement with Rapid Review Anatomy. I don't like our textbook, by Moore and Dalley, so I didn't review it that much. I found it dry and dense and sometimes disjointed. I would, however, recommend reading the "blue boxes," for the clinical correlates.

She taught anatomy in the GI and Renal sections, but assists throughout.

Dr. B. Wright, the husband of Dr. K. Wright, is fairly new to the department. His interest is primarily with primate anatomy, as far as I remember. He was one of our anatomy professors for the Musculoskeletal section. Dr. B. Wright taught us lower limb anatomy. He likes to emphasize gait and anatomy by compartments. His notes were pretty good and I used Moore & Dalley, as well as BRS Gross Anatomy to supplement. Pay attention to his lectures and key points. Make sure to really review the Anatomy Lab Checklist; don't neglect anything from it. The Musculoskeletal anatomy practical killed like 1/4 of the class. It was hard. I barely passed.

Dr. K. Wright, the wife of B. Wright, is also into primate anatomy. She taught the anatomy of the upper limb, back, and chest, during musculoskeletal. Her notes are pretty good. You will learn the infamous brachial plexus from her. I seem to remember going over lots of stuff related to clinical correlates of the plexus and the rotator cuff. Remember to go over injuries to the shoulder, arm, and forearm, and remember your anatomical "snuff box" and FOOSH injuries. I don't know why that came to mind, but I think it's important for the MSK section. Again, I supplemented with BRS Gross Anatomy and Moore & Dalley. As with B. Wright, make sure you go over the Anatomy Lab Checklist with a fine tooth comb and learn the brachial plexus and the muscles of the shoulder, arm, and forearm really well.

----
I think the anatomy department is pretty strong over all. Everything is pretty well taught and structured. I definitely learned a lot from these individuals. I'm a little worried about my competency in Embryology, however. Perhaps it'll be a subject I place a bit more emphasis on during board review.

Biochemistry
·. Phillips, James W..

Dr. Phillips is an interesting character. He seems like a real nice guy. He drives a Porsche, but you wouldn't think so... Dr. Phillips is very much into pathways. Oh my God, is he... He likes to go over the finer nuances of the pathways and then test on them. If you want to do well with his stuff, you will probably have to painfully go over the pathways he emphasizes in his notes and in class. Some of the pathways are pretty involved.

He teaches some biochemistry in each section. I remembered struggling with his material. I never read the recommended textbook for biochemistry; too dry and involved. I basically studied by reviewing his lectures on line.

He taught some basic genetics at during FOM. Not much to say. Pretty straightfoward sort of stuff and lectured decently. No big surprises here.

However, Dr. Rushing doesn't teach most of the genetics. You will get lectured primarily by a particular guest clinical geneticist (forgot his name) from Children's Mercy, I think. This person is a brilliant MudPhud, but his lectures are quite complex and he likes to test on nuances. I remember him telling us not to worry about frequencies of genetic disorders and such, but they appeared on the exam, much to my surprise and dismay! Nevertheless, I prevailed. He does emphasize certain things, so I recommend listening in on his lectures, despite their complexity.

I like this guy. Dr. Seidler is probably my favorite biochem professor. He is entertaining and tries really hard to make the material palatable for us. He tells lots of funny stories. His notes can be a bit disjointed, so it's probably a good idea to listen in on his lectures as well. I reviewed his stuff by reviewing his recorded lectures online.

----
I don't think our school places a whole lot of emphasis on biochemistry, but that's just my opinion. I don't think I retained much biochem. I think I will have to place a heavy emphasis on reviewing this subject, if I want to have any chance with the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)

My goodness, where to start.... Well, how about the positives. I really like Dr. Ballam. I think he is a very good person and genuinely concerned about the students. However, I feel that his physiology lectures are considerably lacking. I mean that with all due respect, since I'm sure he is a brilliant researcher and very knowledgeable. I would say that he is an ineffective lecturer. His notes are confusing and so are his lectures. I did not learn much from either. I read Ganong, BRS Physiology, and Rapid Review Physiology, as my main sources. I simply used his lectures as learning objectives and essentially learned the necessary physiology by myself. Some people like the required text, by Guyton & Hall, but every time I opened it, I fell asleep. It's dense, but somehow didn't capture the material in a way that worked for me. I used review books and it was fine. However, you must take into account that my physiology was pretty strong before I arrived.

Dr. Ballam lectures heavily in the cardiopulm section. Get used to self-instruction, during this time...

Dr. Karius is a fine professor. She's the real star of the department. An expert and experienced lecturer, she delivers the material with style. I learned a lot from her comprehensive notes and lectures, which are entertaining, evocative, and memorable. Unfortunately, the school has her directing the CCC and HPS, so she is often tied up with that. I seem to recall that she is also a musician and plays an instrument for a band (or something). I get the feeling that she is busy.

She is one of the professors that tends to utilize online lectures. That is, lectures that are pre-recorded, with animations, etc. It's a good concept and does save time, especially when she cannot be personally present for an in-person lecture, but somehow the subject matter frequently chosen for her online lectures tends to be the more complex. I often found myself wishing that she actually had a class on the online material. Word to the wise, however: do not neglect her online material.

Dr. Suminski lectures in the renal section. I do not have very many nice words for this individual, so I'll exercise some restraint. He is funny, I'll give you that. However, he is perhaps one of the least informative lecturers I've had to date. Again, I mean this with all due respect. I think part of the issue is that he seems to not like lecturing on renal physiology. Not surprising, as an exercise physiologist, renal is likely not one of his areas of expertise. You will end up learning everything from Guyton & Hall (if you are into that book), or some board review books.

---
Overall, I'd say that our physiology dept is not the strongest. It only has one good professor. The rest, while perhaps good researchers and knowledgeable people, are not good instructors. However, this is my personal opinion and experience. You'll probably need to supplement with lots of external sources.

"?" is someone who was not there when I was.

Anatomy
.Great.. professor for anatomy, embryology, and histology. She is very approachable and helpful. You will learn a lot from her. .

She's ok.

Great anatomy professor. He teaches neuro. Also very approachable and helpful.

Great anatomy professor. You will learn a lot from her. Can be moody at times, though.

.?.

.Basic Medical Sciences.
Very few lectures from him, so I honestly don't how he was.

Biochemistry

.?.

Biochemistry is not stressed at KCUMB. If you plan to take the USMLE, start brushing up on it. Dr.'s Rushing and Seidler are the stronger of the biochemistry professors. The rest tend to focus a little too much on the finer details. This department could definitely use some work in the instructional area. Overall, the professors tend to be more research-oriented.

?.

Bioethics

? (This program was started by a faculty member who recently left the university. She was a great person and professor.)

Clinical Research

He is a strong pharm lecturer and very approachable. Most of the pharm department left 2-3 yrs. ago. He is a recent addition.

Family Medicine.
.She recently resigned. .

.? .

.He is a great professor and you will learn a lot from him!!!! .

See comments under "Preventive Medicine."

.She is a great professor and you will learn a lot from her!!!!.

He is a great professor and you will learn a lot from him!!!!

He's good. You'll learn a lot from him!!!!

He is a great professor and you will learn a lot from him!!!!!

He's good. You'll learn a lot from him..

.?.

He's average. He teaches most of the OMT (At least he did when I was there).

?

..Medicine.
.Awesome!!!! You will learn your medicine from him!!! He is a very nice person and very approachable. .

She's okay. Her test questions tend to focus on the asinine. She nice and approachable, though.

Very nice, very smart, very approachable. You will learn a lot from her.

Obstetrics-Gynecology.
.He's good. I thought he left to obtain a law degree. The other OB professor left, so I'm not sure who, if anyone is in the OB/GYN department..

Pathology
Awesome!!!! Very intelligent, usually very approachable. You will learn a lot from hime (AKA ERF). Check out his website: www.pathguy.com

.? Probably ERF''s path assistants..

Pediatrics

?

Pharmacology-Microbiology

Very good. See above comment under "Clinical Research"

Great!!!! Very approachable and you will learn a lot from him.

.? All new. Most of the pharm dept. I had left a couple of yrs ago, in quick succession..

Physiology.
.Independent study. You will have to teach yourself phys. (BRS Physiology) Too bad, because he is a very nice person..

She is by far the best physiology professor at the school. She is very helpful and loves to teach. She has online lectures and "chat rooms" before each quiz or exam to clarify concepts. She is never too busy for students. Too bad she can't teach all of the phys.
Independent study. You will have to teach yourself phys. (BRS Physiology)

.Preventive Medicine.
.He's okay. Lectures tend to be dry and too involved for the 2-4 test questions he contributes. I hope you like smoking cessation. .

Don't remember too much about him. Don't think he taught us much, if at all. I do remember he had an online elective course during summer between the second & third yr, but most of us stayed away from it because he required written assignments.

.?.

Surgery

? (All of these physicians are recent additions. The entire surgery I had department left 1-2 yrs. ago.)

What you should know is that the school depends heavily on adjunct and guest lecturers for certain areas (neurology, peds, geriatrics, genetics, parasitology-the person we had was awful, psych, etc.). Some are better than others.

FYI: You should also know that the school tends to recycle test questions (at least when I was there), so some students will have an advantage. 1st & 2nd yrs pretty much determines your class rank. Letter grades are determined to the hundredth point, so that could easily be the difference between a B (3.00) and a B-(2.67).

Well, you all have your work cut out for you. As Dr. Friedlander is fond of pointing out, our school possibly spends less time with Pathology than any other basic science (or something of the sort; I'm not sure exactly whether it was with respect to other basic sciences or other schools, but you get the idea). He also claims we do better than others in this discipline, too, despite that we spend less time. Dr. Friedlander tries to integrate lots of innovative learning techniques into the curriculum to help us learn the material, such as interactive, group pathology sign-outs and pathology labs, which are modeled after the "morning report." These certainly help, given the limited amount of time we have dedicated to pathology. However, you will have to do a lot of self-study. I personally do not find Dr. Friedlander's lectures that informative with respect to what is actually tested, but they do seem useful for clinical practice. His lectures, if nothing else, are entertaining. I love it especially when he goes on a tangent about this or that topic, based on his personal experience. You'll remember odd facts and such and probably get pretty good at identifying cancer.

If you want to do well in Pathology on exams and quizzes, you'll want to study Quizbank. Do not fail to do this. The test questions are frequently drawn from Quizbank and this is deliberate. If you don't do this, you will miss some straightforward points. Is this learning Pathology, however? I don't know. The jury is still out.

Dr. Friedlander's notes are very informative, but they are perhaps denser than lead. You will spend considerable time sorting through them, if you want to have a good, thorough understanding of the subject. Sadly, he does not tend to go over all the points in his notes, just certain items he thinks are critical. You cannot go to his lectures and expect to do well on his tests and practicals. You will need to self-study...a lot.

My advice on the Path practical? Get a tutor ASAP. They tend to have resources that can help you prepare for them. You will want to look up all the noted images/slides on his notes (which are also available on his website) and on Slice of Life, and then try to find still more slides on Google Images. Basically, look at as many pictures of the items as you can. His website is an excellent start (lots of links to Pathology sites). Try to look at old powerpoints put together by previous classes... Keep in mind that Dr. Friedlander's Pathology practicals have a lot of extra credit opportunities, which many students use to pass the practicals. These extra credit questions can come directly from his notes and from lecture. You can also look at some old tests for hints on extra credit, which are available on his website. Get together in a group and help each other...

Drs. Yagoda and Garcia are your best friends (they are the Pathology assistants). They will do their best to help you through Pathology. Be nice to them and you'll learn a lot.

PS: "Where there is love of medicine, there is love of humankind." (You'll hear that and other ERF-isms a lot.)

I'm sorry, this post is classic. While the area around KCUMB may look like it has some sort of old-world appeal (because it did actually used to be a very affluent neighborhood), it's definitely a terrible part of town. It's not the worst, mind you, but it's very poor. I work at the CVS a few blocks east of KCUMB on Independence Ave., and the vast majority of our patients are on Medicaid. Most of our customers do not have cars or even phones and flip out if they have to pay more than a dollar for their prescriptions. There's no way you can spin your way out of this one.

Westport and the Plaza are pretty great areas; a bit expensive though.
Westport is actually pretty cheap to live in, and the places directly to the north of the Plaza are pretty cheap, too. Admittedly, they're kind of crappy houses, but they're still liveable and within a 10-15 minute drive of KCUMB.

If you can swing it, the Hyde Park area has some beautiful homes and apartments for rent at reasonable prices. In fact, a good friend of mine has space available in that area. I don't know what kind of prices he's expecting, but I can get you in touch with him if you're interested.

For those of you looking to stay downtown, look into tax credit lofts. The developers got a huge break for keeping certain percentages of their buildings intact, and they pass these savings onto you. A friend of mine rents a 1000+ sq ft, 2 bedroom tax credit loft in the heart of the River Market for $530/month.

The areas around Rockhurst and UMKC are also affordable and roughly 15 minutes away, thanks to 71 highway. Actually, that's where I live.

If anyone wants more detailed info, I'm happy to help. Just drop me a line.

Insufficient data. I remember only a few lectures delivered by him. Nothing memorable. He seems very intelligent and I recall him being a good lecturer.

He recently retired. Dr. McCandless was an institution at the University. He taught Pharm for a long time. I believe he is a Minister as well (or something of the sort). Anyway, his lectures are straightforward. You won't have any trouble with his stuff, although I am not certain if he is going to lecture to your class.

A pretty new professor. She's pretty solid as well. I liked her lectures and think they were straightforward and informative. No surprises. She likes to lecture and to help the students. She shows cute pictures of her children.

This guy is brilliant. He is an excellent lecturer and is very high energy. He'll get you going very quickly. Dr. Segars is like a Pharmacology cheerleader; you'll go out feeling happy, excited about drugs, and you will learn a lot in the process of having fun with his lectures.

He is our resident Immunologist. Dr. Shnyra is very brilliant. He's like a big brain. You can tell he is an accomplished researcher and in academics, but he's a poor lecturer, although he's improved considerably. His lectures are pretty disorganized and he goes on long tangents on his pet subjects (Th1/Th2, Macrophages, Danger Signal Hypothesis, etc...) at the expense of basic Immunology. He likes to integrate the latest and greatest, from recent Journal articles. You may go out of his lectures feeling confused and overwhelmed, or enlightened, depending on your Immunology background. Mine was not that strong, so you can only imagine my struggle. I suggest getting a basic Immunology text and reading it to learn the basics.

One of my favorite teachers at KCUMB. She's a fairly new addition as well. Dr. Taylor is from Canada and you'll hear lots of funny anecdotes and stories based on this fact. She's our resident Microbiology lecturer (although there are some guest lecturers of questionable quality, and Dr. Shnyra does some, too). Dr. Taylor has a straightforward style and tends to emphasize key facts. You'll learn a lot from her and retain those facts, too. She is a very cheerful person, so you will enjoy her lectures because of that as well.

She recently resigned, unfortunately. Dr. Boyajian was the former head of the FM department. She was an okay lecturer, not brilliant, but not bad either. I liked her sort of stream-of-consciousness style and her personal anecdotes. They frequently made her lectures fun and memorable. I personally learned a lot from her and I feel sad that you guys are not going to benefit from her wisdom. She was very helpful to the students and tried to make lots of clinical study guides to help us.

Dr. Cox is a good lecturer. He has a dry sense of humor that really lifts his presentations from good to great. I find him very earnest and straightforward. He is genuinely interested in your learning process and will try hard to help you learn the material. Additionally, he's also a good OMT lab instructor. You'll learn a lot from him. I believe he went through the Army HPSP program...

Eh, Dr. Desai is alright. I'm not terribly impressed by him, but I think he's a smart guy, albeit somewhat disengaged. Whenever I encounter him, he seems bored and not really that interested in being present with us. Dr. Desai can often be found texting or on the phone... Anyway, he teaches some OMT labs, does a handful of lectures here and there, and is in charge of some aspects of your clinical education, such as interviews and communication. You'll probably learn a thing or two from him, if you can get him off his phone long enough. :D

I like this guy. He's a pretty good lecturer. Dr. Dew tends to lecture about preventive medicine and epidemiology. He does a good job delivering the facts. However, make sure to really learn his first few lectures, because they tend to not only show up in later lectures, but the basic concepts presented in these lectures tend to show up in tests repeatedly. He's like the anti-smoking champion.

Insuffient data. I recall only a few lectures from this individual. Dr. Karty seems like a good doctor to her patients and I thought her lectures were okay. She brings in some patients of hers for the IDCs...

I don't have much to say about this individual. There is a rumor that he is resigning shortly, although it's just hearsay at this point. He teaches IOCS Communications. I think he does a so-so job at it. He's not bad, but he's also not great, either. No harm, no foul.

He's a pretty good OMT lab instructor and something of an OMT guru. Dr. McClain thinks we don't push hard enough during HVLA. :D Anyway, I think he is into UFC, or something. You'll learn plenty from him. Oh, yeah, you'll also receive some instruction from his wife for IOCS communications. She's a good teacher, too.

Dr. Oelklaus did a good job with his classes and as our interim dean.

This doctor is brilliant. I think he's the best FM physician we have here. He's very well-spoken and a good lecturer. Pick his brain when you can. You'll learn a lot from him. I think he used to be pharmacist.

Dr. Treffer is in charge of your OMT education. He's a so-so lecturer. I can't tell whether he is confusing at times, or the material itself is complicated. He's got good energy, though, and you'll learn a good amount from him.

parasitology-the person we had was awful...

Oh my God, you aren't kidding. I won't make any official recommendations, but, unofficially, I think you may be better off missing this particular class. He read word-for-word from his notes, anyway.

Dr. Johnston is a very knowledgeable IM doc. He is a good instructor. Dr. Johnston did a lot of lecturing in Cardiopulm. His notes and lectures are difficult and he uses a lot of abbreviations, which can make them hard to follow. You pretty much have no choice but to try to follow them, however. Good guy, though. I think he's probably one hell of a clinical instructor; his residents and medical students are lucky. He's fond of asking us, "What do you think, Doctor?" "What's your diagnosis?" He calls everyone, "Doctor."

Make sure you get a copy of "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's," by Dale Dubin, MD. It's a good and easy to follow resource and it'll definitely help you learn how to read EKG's quickly, which is something you are going to need to do. Don't neglect this. Learn your EKG's. Practice a lot.

Both are very knowledgeable physicians. I like them both. Drs. Kirila and Pinzur seem to teach a lot in Renal; at least that's my freshest memory of them teaching. The stuff that they go over is pretty complicated material, however, and I did have some difficulty following it. I recommend supplementing with board review books, or some other type of resource to help you understand their lectures in renal.

However, my recollection is that you will receive a lot of instruction from guest lecturers, in a variety of subspecialities of IM, such as GI, CC/Pulm, Nephrology, etc. These lecturers are of variable quality.

I like Dr. Magie. He's a so-so lecturer, but he is a good guy, who tries to help us understand basic concepts in Pediatrics. His material is a bit dry sometimes, but it's always informative. He likes to present his material through cases, so make sure to listen in on his lectures. You hear will Dr. Magie lecture with respect to the Pediatrics side of things quite frequently.

this is so awesome thansk guys.. im gonna organize all the thoughts for each teacher and repost this in a week or so once comments seem finished

Both are very knowledgeable physicians. I like them both. Drs. Kirila and Pinzur seem to teach a lot in Renal; at least that's my freshest memory of them teaching. The stuff that they go over is pretty complicated material, however, and I did have some difficulty following it. I recommend supplementing with board review books, or some other type of resource to help you understand their lectures in renal.

I'll use renal as an example.
This is one of those sections where you absolutely have to have someone who is very knowledgable about the physiology teaching you physiology. When we had renal, Dr. Karius did not teach the physiology (need I say more)? I recall the class average being on the low side for exams. While this may help your GPA, it will not help you for boards (especially the USMLE), and you will be at a disadvantage during rotations (especially if you go to an true teaching hospital). Knowing the physiology helps you not only understand the "how," but allows you to make predictions about a patient's outcome based on this knowledge. This is the difference between a run-of-the-mill physician, and a great physician.

i remember my interviewers were dr cox and dr cole.. im glad theyre both well liked, they were awesome in my interview which ended up being a discussion about what cat is best (lol thanks dwight shrute) and baseball.

I'll use renal as an example.
This is one of those sections where you absolutely have to have someone who is very knowledgable about the physiology teaching you physiology. When we had renal, Dr. Karius did not teach the physiology (need I say more)? I recall the class average being on the low side for exams. While this may help your GPA, it will not help you for boards (especially the USMLE), and you will be at a disadvantage during rotations (especially if you go to an true teaching hospital). Knowing the physiology helps you not only understand the "how," but allows you to make predictions about a patient's outcome based on this knowledge. This is the difference between a run-of-the-mill physician, and a great physician.

Hey, Amino, I agree with you. I think we and many others are on the same page here. Renal was hard, on several levels, because I don't believe I received proper physiology instruction. Suminski and Ballam did not, in my opinion, do an adequate job teaching renal physiology. Not at all. They both fell very short, especially Suminski. Essentially, I taught myself renal physiology, for better or worse. It seemed very obvious to me that Suminski did not wish to teach renal physiology and he clearly did a poor job lecturing on that subject, yet, the school, knowing this and that good physiology instruction is critical to the renal section, continues to use him for that. I am having trouble understanding this. I think Ballam was a bit better but not much. Suminski even acknowledged, albeit jokingly, that he had gotten a lot of poor reviews on his teaching. Yet, his efforts at improvement did not seem adequate, at least to me.

Anyway, the whole time, I wished Dr. Karius, or someone more knowledgeable and adept at teaching physiology would step in. Unfortunately, this was only a pipe-dream. Instead, I often found myself a bit confused by Dr. Pinzur's lectures on hypo-/hypernatremia and hypo-/hyperkalemia, etc., and some of the other clinical lectures delivered by Dr. Kirila, in part, because the background physiology was so poorly taught and the section itself was a bit strangely structured, anyway. I had to spend considerable time decoding their notes and trying to understand why and how things happened. I think I succeeded, at least for this section, but I wonder how well I did relative to being prepared for the boards. I'm definitely scared about that. I felt like a complete idiot when I took the Shelf exam. Clearly, I have my work cut out for me.

As you say, this is an example of a problem we face with instruction here. Another example is Dr. Cole teaching Embryology. God bless her heart, but she is not an expert in that field and her lectures, in my humble opinion, aren't that strong relative to that discipline and she clearly does not like lecturing about Embryology. Yet another example is Ballam lecturing in the Cardiopulm section. Again, I had to learn everything myself. I understand that you can't have Karius teaching all the physiology in all the sections, especially now that she is directing the CCC/HPS stuff, but then you should hire some competent physiology lecturers. I could go on about other sections, but I think the point is clear. I would definitely welcome a change in this way of doing things.

I just want to say that, despite some issues that the school may or may not have, I am grateful for the opportunity I have been given. Attending medical school is a privilege. True, we may have our work cut out for us in certain ways, but this is still way better than not having the chance at all to become a physician. So, in that light, everything seems okay. Indeed, I am definitely learning. I just hope and pray that it's enough.

To quote ShyRem:

I make things work. Whatever it takes, I make it work.

i remember my interviewers were dr cox and dr cole.. im glad theyre both well liked, they were awesome in my interview which ended up being a discussion about what cat is best (lol thanks dwight shrute) and baseball.

Yeah, they are good people. By-in-large, the staff are all decent folks.

I just want to say that, despite some issues that the school may or may not have, I am grateful for the opportunity I have been given. Attending medical school is a privilege. . .

It is also a business transaction. In some aspects, the quality of the education is definitely not worth the money, especially the hit-or-miss 3rd & 4th yrs.

In terms of 1st & 2nd yrs, I think we may have lucked out. When we had embryo, Dr. Cole was pretty good, and enthusiastic about teaching us. Also, most of the Family Med physicians were good (strictly clinical, minus OMT), but you won't really appreciate this until rotations. In the past few yrs., the school has undergone a massive flight of experienced staff. Maybe this is affecting the morale of remaining staff????

Before I started med school, I was told that the 3P's (physiology, pharmacology, pathology) make or break you in med school. I found this to be true. We were fortunate in that we had great pharm & path (though not enough time here). Dr. Karius taught most of our physiology, and we were very fortunate. But for the sections she did not teach physiology, many of us struggled.

This is a very expensive transaction. Just make sure you're getting your money's worth.

In the past few yrs., the school has undergone a massive flight of experienced staff. Maybe this is affecting the morale of remaining staff????

I would say likely, and for other reasons, too. Additionally, the school's residency program recently closed down, so I think that's impacting morale as well. Sometimes, I think the staff seem overworked and wearing too many hats, etc.

Dr. Karius taught most of our physiology, and we were very fortunate.

Indeed, that is fortunate. With respect to physiology, we struggled in cardiopulm and in renal.

This is a very expensive transaction. Just make sure you're getting your money's worth.

I agree. I'm trying my best to work with what I am given.

hats off to you, spiced and aminoacid... you guys are what make SDN work. as far as i'm concerned, you guys should be on SDN payroll.

but seriously, thank you guys so much for taking the time to drop this knowledge on us. this is the kind of nuanced, insightful advice that we pre-meds desperately need.

on an unrelated note, i have decided to defer my acceptance at KCUMB for the next year for family/financial reasons. my wife's father is going through some legal trouble that we need to be here for, and we really need to get our finances in better order to pay for school and the move to the KC area. i plan on continually monitoring this thread for news about the goings-on at KCUMB, and i look forward to joining the class of 2013.

once again, thank you guys for your advice and insight. if you guys work as hard at medicine as you do at helping us out, i'm sure you'll both become great doctors.

cheers.

hats off to you, spiced and aminoacid... you guys are what make SDN work. as far as i'm concerned, you guys should be on SDN payroll.

but seriously, thank you guys so much for taking the time to drop this knowledge on us. this is the kind of nuanced, insightful advice that we pre-meds desperately need.

on an unrelated note, i have decided to defer my acceptance at KCUMB for the next year for family/financial reasons. my wife's father is going through some legal trouble that we need to be here for, and we really need to get our finances in better order to pay for school and the move to the KC area. i plan on continually monitoring this thread for news about the goings-on at KCUMB, and i look forward to joining the class of 2013.

once again, thank you guys for your advice and insight. if you guys work as hard at medicine as you do at helping us out, i'm sure you'll both become great doctors.

cheers.

I'm glad I could be of assistance to you and others.

Good luck with everything, deadeyedk. Keep us updated. :thumbup:

Spice,

You've mentioned the BRS references a few times now. Which BRS books do you recommend picking up and which editions? I'm scouring eBay as I type now...

Spice,

You've mentioned the BRS references a few times now. Which BRS books do you recommend picking up and which editions? I'm scouring eBay as I type now...

Well, I recommend:

BRS Embryology
BRS Physiology
BRS Gross Anatomy

Rapid Review Physiology
Rapid Review Gross and Developmental Anatomy
Rapid Review Microbiology and Immunology
Rapid Review Histology and Cell Biology
Rapid Review Pathology (never used it, but others have sung it's praise)

First Aid for the USMLE, Step 1 (latest edition)

Atlas of Human Anatomy, by Frank Netter.

Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body (Color Atlas of Anatomy (Rohen)) by Johannes W Rohen, et al.

Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, by Dale Dubin

Crash Course: Renal and Urinary Systems, by Frazier Stevenson

Review of Medical Physiology, by William F. Ganong (paperback)

An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, by DiGiovanna, Schiowitz, and Dowling.

Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Ed., by Moore and Dalley.

The rest you can probably get through the library or borrow from your follow classmates, when needed.

Well, I recommend:

BRS Embryology
BRS Physiology
BRS Gross Anatomy

Rapid Review Physiology
Rapid Review Gross and Developmental Anatomy
Rapid Review Microbiology and Immunology
Rapid Review Histology and Cell Biology
Rapid Review Pathology (never used it, but others have sung it's praise)

First Aid for the USMLE, Step 1 (latest edition)

Atlas of Human Anatomy, by Frank Netter.

Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body (Color Atlas of Anatomy (Rohen)) by Johannes W Rohen, et al.

Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, by Dale Dubin

Crash Course: Renal and Urinary Systems, by Frazier Stevenson

Review of Medical Physiology, by William F. Ganong (paperback)

An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, by DiGiovanna, Schiowitz, and Dowling.

Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Ed., by Moore and Dalley.

The rest you can probably get through the library or borrow from your follow classmates, when needed.

I appreciate the info, Spice. In fact, I appreciate all the help you've given. They're gonna sing songs about you one day, mon ami! :D

be careful of buying books too fast. Wait till the year starts and you'll have plenty of time to buy books as needed. I remember being real excited just like you and I ended up never using a lot of them.

be careful of buying books too fast. Wait till the year starts and you'll have plenty of time to buy books as needed. I remember being real excited just like you and I ended up never using a lot of them.

hah this is so true.. in my final semester of undergrad i spent $0 on books and got through with a 3.7gpa lol

1) I got post 888, totally awesome considering my 08/08/08 birthday :)

2) looks like tornados in the KC area tonite, be safe you locals!

hah this is so true.. in my final semester of undergrad i spent $0 on books and got through with a 3.7gpa lol

you know, I would like to put my "must have" book list for the poor student (aka me)... In the first year, all I feel you truly need is netter's anatomy, rapid interpretation of ekg's by dubin, first aid (some people like step up), and an omt book or to as needed-- just my humble opinion from coupon clippin' med student

For netters should we just join AMSA and get the free copy or should we skip AMSA and just buy the book? What do most students do?

Thanks for your comments spiced and aminoacid....:thumbup:

Has anyone successfully held down a 10-15 hr per week job during their first semester at KCUMB? I assumed that the financial aid packages would be a little more generous (or at least flexible) than they are. Granted, if I didn't have a car payment, etc. this wouldn't be an issue. I'm kind of kicking myself for being in this situation. In undergrad there was always some room to take out a private loan for extra expenses if need be but my impression is that is not an option in medical school.

Has anyone successfully held down a 10-15 hr per week job during their first semester at KCUMB? I assumed that the financial aid packages would be a little more generous (or at least flexible) than they are. Granted, if I didn't have a car payment, etc. this wouldn't be an issue. I'm kind of kicking myself for being in this situation. In undergrad there was always some room to take out a private loan for extra expenses if need be but my impression is that is not an option in medical school.

I cant remember their SDN name. But I remember a post from a KCUMB student with an engineering degree that worked part time first year.

It is never impossible to get a private loan, but be very very careful where your loan is comming from.. alot of them dont have fixed interest rates and can get expensive. But its definitely do able. If you insist on working though, Id at least wait until after the first block to assess your level of time required to do well in school first.

For netters should we just join AMSA and get the free copy or should we skip AMSA and just buy the book? What do most students do?

A lot of people opt to join AMSA and get a copy of Netter through them. However, I didn't/don't really look at it as free. You are paying the dues for some organization and getting a copy of Netter and a t-shirt. As far as I remember, many people do that. I didn't do that because there was no reason for me to join AMSA other than to get a copy of Netter. I thought it would be more congruent to simply buy the book because I couldn't see myself participating in AMSA. I still ended up joined a whole bunch of clubs I never really participated in, so... :laugh:

Hello folks,

Let me start by saying I have no connection to Kansas City other than I fell in love with the old houses while driving through on my way from Oregon to SC. Also, I have enjoyed "The Path Guy" Dr. Friedlander's website since I was a senior PA student researching intro path lectures for the incoming students. I would seriously dig learning from him.

At first I was put off by the high tuition at KCUMB, but looking at the relatively cheap cost of living, I'm considering it more seriously. I'm actually considering the biosciences program as a backup if I don't get in to the DO school (or anywhere else this cycle), but quick question: if a student completes these basic sciences in the 1-yr biosciences class, do any of those courses get "credited" to the DO student when admitted? Or do we have to repeat them all (Anatomy, Phys, etc.) first year? My question is primarily financial as I've already incurred quite a bit of debt for PA school a decade ago.

Thanks in advance

Lisa

...quick question: if a student completes these basic sciences in the 1-yr biosciences class, do any of those courses get "credited" to the DO student when admitted? Or do we have to repeat them all (Anatomy, Phys, etc.) first year?

Well, I know some former COB students and they took exactly the same "classes" as I did (actually, the COM isn't really organized by classes; we do things in system sections, such as the "GI section," or the "Renal section" and have lectures and labs that pertain to that section, and at the end of each section, you get a grade for that section...IOCS is the only exception, I believe, and it has it's own grade, which is a cumulation of communications, clinical, and OMM lab), as a first year medical student, so I would guess that the answer to your question is, no, you do not get credit at the COM for classes you took for the COB program. Doing the COB won't save you time or money in that sense. However, my understand is that if you complete the COB program, you are automatically accepted into the COM; that's what I remember hearing, anyway.

One reason why some of the professors mentioned above have ? under their names is that they are mainly researchers and not lecturers. For example Dr. Glaros, Dr. Pyle, Dr Guillory,Dr. Clay, Dr. Asma etc. are all great but you won't know who they are unless you are actively involved in research (like me).
My favorite professors are as follows:
Dr. Oelklaus, Dr. Karty, Dr. Johnston, Dr Desai, Dr Segars, Dr Taylor, Dr Thomas, Dr Dew, Dr McLain, Dr Peace Mcrae, Dr McCandless.

Also, Spicedmanna posted a good booklist but don't just go out and buy all those books before school starts. The class notes are very comprehensive and most students don't buy many extra books to use. You will also have many opportunities to buy used books off of students during the summer and school year, which should be cheaper than Amazon. My book list is:
Rapid Review Pathology (The medical school bible for the first 2 years as well as for board prep. This is the "Goljan book" that everyone talks about and it is awesome! If you study the chapter relating to each section, it will help you understand a lot more. Trust me buy this book, read it, read it again, read it again, memorize it = ace your boards!)
Good anatomy atlas and clinical anatomy book
OMT- paper bound book that they sell at the book store on campus
First AID: buy it now if you plan on writing notes for each section, otherwise just wait until you study for boards and get the newest version

In my acceptance packet, they recommended getting medical terminology a systems approach 5th edition and reading over the summer.

Do you guys think it would be worth my time getting it, and is it very helpful?

In my acceptance packet, they recommended getting medical terminology a systems approach 5th edition and reading over the summer.

Do you guys think it would be worth my time getting it, and is it very helpful?

i asked this way back in oct and was given a resounding no lol.. id imagine that is still the correct answer.