KCUMB Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would also like to go golfing as well. Maybe we can get a list together and organize something as a group for those interested. I have no idea what courses are around the school as I am from the Chicago area, but I am sure there are many.

Here are some places I've found. Let me know if any of these interest y'all. Prices range from $28 (twilight) to $66...

Royal Meadows: http://www.royalmeadowsgc.com/

Swope Memorial: http://www.swopememorialgolfcourse.com/

Tiffany Greens: http://www.tiffanygreensgolf.com/

I'll keep looking for more. It would be good to know what people are willing to pay if we are gonna get something together. I'm excited, y'all. Golf is good...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those courses look pretty cool. I'm down with anything. Maybe we can post something on facebook for those who are interested.

Those courses look pretty cool. I'm down with anything. Maybe we can post something on facebook for those who are interested.

I just put it up there on the 2012 page... good idea!

Poker, congratulations on another acceptance! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
When do we get our kcumb e-mail accounts?

Here are some places I've found. Let me know if any of these interest y'all. Prices range from $28 (twilight) to $66...

Royal Meadows: http://www.royalmeadowsgc.com/

Swope Memorial: http://www.swopememorialgolfcourse.com/

Tiffany Greens: http://www.tiffanygreensgolf.com/

I'll keep looking for more. It would be good to know what people are willing to pay if we are gonna get something together. I'm excited, y'all. Golf is good...

One of our very clever classmates set up an online poll to gauge which course we had the most interest in so that we can set up tee times and whatnot as we get closer. The poll can be found at:
http://snappoll.com/poll/276699.php

I would assume that's happening about the same time we get Blackboard access.

Has anyone been able to access Blackboard yet? If so, how long after you sent in your signed paperwork? I thought I read the username is first initial last name, password is 8 digit birth date, is that right?

wow kcumb AGAIN asking me for 1 credit of english.. unbelievable that i have the explain that they already approved my course for the 4th time.

wow kcumb AGAIN asking me for 1 credit of english.. unbelievable that i have the explain that they already approved my course for the 4th time.

I can't believe they're making me take Biochem this summer. There was only one place offering it this summer and the instructor can barely speak English. A lot of good it's going to do me!

I can't believe they're making me take Biochem this summer. There was only one place offering it this summer and the instructor can barely speak English. A lot of good it's going to do me!

well its just frustrating me cuz they approved my class back in october and since that day (like oct 17th or something) they have since asked me to provide a transcript showign that english credit 4 times. clearly the staff is not all on the same page.

Has anyone been able to access Blackboard yet? If so, how long after you sent in your signed paperwork? I thought I read the username is first initial last name, password is 8 digit birth date, is that right?

Ummm... I don't know about the username and password. On the Blackboard question, the insert said June 27th as long as you've sent in your info.

Maybe an MS II can help me with this. I've been looking at books online and I keep coming across "international editions" of our required text. Have any of y'all bought an international version? They say it's the same as the U.S. edition. I'm curious about whether or not this is true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe an MS II can help me with this. I've been looking at books online and I keep coming across "international editions" of our required text. Have any of y'all bought an international version? They say it's the same as the U.S. edition. I'm curious about whether or not this is true?

Not one of our required text for KCUMB, but I used an "international edition" biostats book in the past and don't remember there being any significant difference in the material. If anything, it may have had a different color ink for some of the figures.

LOL I sent my immunization records via a state seal form and they wouldnt accept it. They said I had to use THEIR form. Well................ perhaps that would have been possible if I would have received one in the mail???? Im tired of the paperwork, Im much better at studying.

I would be a VERY non-traditional medical student. I will not even be qualified to apply until I am 31. I thought about medical school years ago, but decided to be a paramedic. I have been a paramedic for almost 8 years(in a VERY busy area). I love being a paramedic but feel like I NEED to take the next step. Being a doc has always crossed my mind. I need to give it a shot. Now, I wish I would have started sooner. I have several college credits because I have always CRAVED school.
I am going to start at a private college this semester. I hope to fill in my credit gaps needed to apply to KCUMB. My family is very happy. I have several Docs in my family. They have been telling me to do this for years. My mother-in-law is pissed. ANYWAYZ, nice to meet u.:)

I would be a VERY non-traditional medical student. I will not even be qualified to apply until I am 31. I thought about medical school years ago, but decided to be a paramedic. I have been a paramedic for almost 8 years(in a VERY busy area). I love being a paramedic but feel like I NEED to take the next step. Being a doc has always crossed my mind. I need to give it a shot. Now, I wish I would have started sooner. I have several college credits because I have always CRAVED school.
I am going to start at a private college this semester. I hope to fill in my credit gaps needed to apply to KCUMB. My family is very happy. I have several Docs in my family. They have been telling me to do this for years. My mother-in-law is pissed. ANYWAYZ, nice to meet u.:)

Hi. Just to encourage you a bit, at my interview they told us of a two starting medical students that were in their mid 50's. One made it, the other decided it wasnt for them. There are several members on this forum who are older than you and still in med school.

Hey Spiced (or anyone)...do you know of any health clubs in the area that also have a pool open for lap swimming?

Hey, sorry to butt in... I hope you achieve your dream of becoming a doc - there are tons of "non-traditional" students - lots of people in their forties even - what I would suggest to you is that you consider other schools than KCUMB. I am sure you would do this anyway but just to "save you before its too late" so to speak I would strongly suggest looking at other schools if it is possible for you - KCUMB is not what you would call a "students school" , its more similar to a corporation, and once your in and have that debt hanging over your head its too late. So look around, see if there are any schools with lower tuitions and do not talk to 1st year students and even be cautious of the opinions of second year students - as much as they know about their school they do not know - get in touch with some third or fourth year students and some that will not sugar coat stuff - and see what those students tell you before making the choice.

Regarding the required histology text: how essential is it that you get the Kierzenbaum book? Does the instructor take questions directly from the text or is it mostly for reference? I ask because I already have a histology text that I used in undergrad (Ross & Pawlina, Histology a text and atlas), and it would best one less book to buy.

Regarding the required histology text: how essential is it that you get the Kierzenbaum book? Does the instructor take questions directly from the text or is it mostly for reference? I ask because I already have a histology text that I used in undergrad (Ross & Pawlina, Histology a text and atlas), and it would best one less book to buy.

I would say, in my opinion, not critical at all. I rarely used any of the required textbooks and the ones I used most were for anatomy (Netter, Moore & Dalley), OMT/IOCS (DiGiovanna, most often, but sometimes used the big FOM book as a reference for OMT, and occasionally I had to reference Mosby's and Hoppenfeld), and to learn EKG's (Dubin). Mostly, I studied from the class notes, where the vast majority of the test questions are based off of, and supplemented with board review books (BRS and Rapid Review) when I felt I needed a bit more understanding. Occasionally, you may want to read a few pages in a required textbook, but you may be able to borrow that book from someone or get it from the library. Anyway, I outlined some of the books and references I used most frequently and thought useful in a previous post. However, the particular book that you mentioned is one I essentially didn't use at all. I might have picked it up and read a chapter or two for FOM, when I was being super-dilligent, but that's it.

At KCUMB, the class notes are what you are going to want to study; use board review books and textbooks to supplement:

Most of the test questions come directly from the notes. STUDY THE NOTES. All other resources, unless specifically indicated, are there to help you understand the notes and the concepts delineated in them. I didn't understand this at first, so I studied everything like I would in undergrad. No, that is ineffective. Reading countless pages in thick, incomprehensible textbooks won't help you that much, and indeed can suck away time and energy, unless you are using them appropriately. Realize that they are adjuncts to the class notes. If you understand the notes, then you don't need to waste time reading textbooks, unless you have extra time, which is rare. Make sure you understand the concepts though. You can actually do quite well on the tests without truly understanding what you are doing, but it'll hurt you when boards come around. Therefore, if there is something you don't understand in the notes, do take the time to use other resources to help you understand.

Last edited:
So I'm curious... I just got this WCC invitation/RSVP thing yesterday (6/28). It was postmarked out of KC on 6/23. They want it back by 7/1. Ummm... so they knew that they were going to want it back by 7/1, why wait so long to send out the info? Did anyone else just get theirs? It's like the FinAid stuff. They wanted it back by 5/16, but didn't send it till the 1st week of May. The vaccination information was in my hands almost 3 months before they decided to send the "official forms" for us to send the records on... of course this came after I'd already sent my shot records in. I'm thinking a little co-ordination/organization would be good...

I got the WCC info with my mat pack. Or is this something else? However see my above posts about the official forms for immunizations that didnt get sent to me until they rejected my official state seal immunization card. WELL........... I was throwin what I knew out there, because they didnt help me out otherwise !!!! Oh well.... its taken care of now I guess.

I, too, received the formal WCC invite with the RSVP. I appreciate that they took the time and effort to do formal invites (which looked very impressive!), but I got mine on Fri. the 27th, had to fill it out and get in the mail on Sat. the 28th and just hope that they receive it by the 1st of July. I tried to get it back in time.....

I just received it in the mail yesterday :thumbdown:

I guess it doesnt really matter now though. This weekend I decided that I will not be attending KCUMB. My only regret is that all of you are really cool people and I'll miss not having you as classmates.

I got the WCC info with my mat pack. Or is this something else? However see my above posts about the official forms for immunizations that didnt get sent to me until they rejected my official state seal immunization card. WELL........... I was throwin what I knew out there, because they didnt help me out otherwise !!!! Oh well.... its taken care of now I guess.

You'll eventually get one that's all formal and stuff. It looks like a wedding invitation. It'll get to you on July 1st... when it's due back at the school. Good to know that I'm not the only one who found this to be a little, umm, interesting. I'm wondering if we'll get our FinAid award letters before orientation...

Poker, what's the deal?!?!?! I was getting all excited about golf and Red Sox/Yanks trash talk... It's all good, though. I hope life treats you well on your chosen path. Bonne chance, mon ami! :luck:

Was also lookin forward to golfin (more like swingin and swearing for me) with ya pokerdoc.... Good luck at AMC

I guess it doesnt really matter now though. This weekend I decided that I will not be attending KCUMB. My only regret is that all of you are really cool people and I'll miss not having you as classmates.

AMC is a great school. I predict you will thrive there. Good luck, Poker.

What did he teach?

He taught a lot of the clinical stuff and was the clinical liaison for some sections. He was the associate dean for clinical affairs, and this year, when Wilsie left, he filled in as the interim dean of the COM. He seemed like a pretty good guy, all around, and was helpful and kind to the students.

I was just surprised and sad to hear that he was leaving.

Last edited:
He taught a lot of the clinical stuff and was the clinical liaison for some sections. He was the associate dean for clinical affairs, and this year, when Wilsie left, he filled in as the interim dean of the COM. He seemed like a pretty good guy, all around, and was helpful and kind to the students.

I was just surprised and sad to hear that he was leaving.

That's very sad, he was one of my two interviewers and I really liked him. :(

Does anyone need to buy a computer for school? I am just wondering because I have an extra one that I don't need. PM me if you are interested and I can send you details. See you guys soon! :D

For those interested, I believe we just lost Dr. Oelklaus. I had no idea he was leaving the university. :(

Leaving (again)? He left a few years back for a year or two, but returned. Dr. El-Sawi, who also left a few years back, is returning.
And the revolving door keeps turning . . . . :rolleyes:

Good luck, guys.

Been away for a while, sad to hear a couple of my favorite posters are leaving. Good luck PokerDoc - I've enjoyed reading your posts, you seem like an interesting person (in a good way).

T-funk - I was looking forward to meeting another August 30-something, but I really admire what you're doing. So many adopting parents are only interested in babies (more prospective parents than babies), while an overwhelming number of foster children need permanent homes. Kudos to you for stepping up. With your house unsold as well, it sounds like now just isn't the right time. You're making a wonderful difference in someone's life and KCUMB will still be there next year. Best of luck to you and your family.

Also, a big thanks to Spiced for all the helpful info on teachers and books. Thanks for such thoughtful consideration of your fellow soon-to-be classmates. It's that kind of consideration for others that makes a physician stand out.

For the first day of orientation the mat pack recommends professional dress... For males, can we wear khaki pants with shirt/tie or do we need to wear dark pants and or suit?

Thanks

When I talked to a current student yesterday, I asked about orientation dress. I asked her if we had to wear a suit. She said no. She said she wore black pants and a nice top. I would assume guys don't have to wear a suit if the girls don't.

For the first day of orientation the mat pack recommends professional dress... For males, can we wear khaki pants with shirt/tie or do we need to wear dark pants and or suit?

Thanks

DiverDoc,

Here is the Dress Code from the Student Handbook, pg. 55:

"Appropriate Dress for all KCUMB students includes business slacks with open-collar shirt for men, and business slacks or skirt with professional shirt or sweater for women. Jeans, tank tops, low-cut shirts, short skirts and hats are not permitted."

After the WCC, you are expected to wear your white coat along with the professional dress as outlined above, or, during most days, you can wear matching scrubs, instead, unless professional dress + white coat is indicated (events, guest speakers, score one, intra or extramural clinical experiences, etc.).

I generally wear a tie with my professional dress, but it isn't required. It just looks better to me, but then again, I worked in the business world for several years...

During orientation, I'd stick with the professional dress outlined above, unless the school tells you to wear something different, like during your service project. You'll get guidance on what to wear and when, including for your white coat ceremony, during orientation.

Last edited:
Also, a big thanks to Spiced for all the helpful info on teachers and books. Thanks for such thoughtful consideration of your fellow soon-to-be classmates. It's that kind of consideration for others that makes a physician stand out.

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to be of service. As one of my mentors once said, essentially, "if you want to really thank me, pay it forward." :thumbup:

Hey Spiced - I'm buying books and trying to decide on Cranial Nerves. What is your opinion on it? I had a graduate course in neuro, still have the text but thought it was a terrible resource. Would you recommend the Cranial Nerves book? Any opinion between the two editions - dark cover In Health & Disease (PBL format) or yellow cover Anatomy & Clinical Comments?

Hey Spiced - I'm buying books and trying to decide on Cranial Nerves. What is your opinion on it? I had a graduate course in neuro, still have the text but thought it was a terrible resource. Would you recommend the Cranial Nerves book? Any opinion between the two editions - dark cover In Health & Disease (PBL format) or yellow cover Anatomy & Clinical Comments?

I couldn't comment on that book, since I haven't reviewed it. Actually, I was just talking to two MS-III's today about how to study for neuro and they both said that the most helpful thing was Dr. Stephens' notes and that I'd find everything I needed there. This is true in general, anyway. At KCUMB, the notes are what you need to study. Books are mostly for clarification.

You're an MS-I, right? Well, you won't need to worry about neuro until your second year, when it is covered the first 10 weeks of MS-II year. It's what I am going to have to deal with in a little over 20 days from now. You, on the other hand, will start your MS-I year with FOM (Foundations of Medicine), followed by Musculoskeletal, Cardiopulmonary (close to 12 wks long), GI, and Renal. Did I miss anything? I think that's the sequence. Across all of the sections, you'll have IOCS, which includes clinical skills, OMT Lab, and communications. I'd focus on these topics for now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Spiced. Gotta say, my FOM sounds better than your neuro. Good luck. :luck:

Look out! Here I come KCUMB!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tP6Y6o5l2Y&feature=user[/YOUTUBE]

Look out! Here I come KCUMB!

[youtube]6tP6Y6o5l2Y[/youtube]

Ha! I was hoping nobody saw me do that! :) That's too funny.

A bit of advice for those of you coming up to MO from Texas by any route other than I-35... get gas before you cross into Oklahoma. There's like one station in the entire state. I discovered that when I was driving back to TX from MO... learn from my experience. :thumbup:

I posted this on the KCUMB Class discussion board, but this one is a little more active. I'm trying to make a budget for next year. What would you say a gas bill runs? All of my appliances are electric. I just have gas heating. Someone who lived in the area please give me an average of your gas bill from the winter. Thanks!

So 2 questions:
1) How would you current students rate the school's fitness center? And would it be worth getting a membership somewhere? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a bench/smith machine, leg press, free weights, basic stuff. And enough equipment where I'm noting waiting forever to use it.

2) My fiance is having issues with her SI joint where its sore and will occasionally cause her leg to tingle. When she can get it to pop it will relieve everything. So I'm thinking (mind you with zero OMT training) that this sounds like something a DO could easily fix. SO my question...Is there a OMT clinic on campus open to the public or do you know of DOs in the area that do a lot of OMT? Or is there an easy "shotgun" technique I could look up and give a try.

Sorry for the long Qs, thanks

I posted this on the KCUMB Class discussion board, but this one is a little more active. I'm trying to make a budget for next year. What would you say a gas bill runs? All of my appliances are electric. I just have gas heating. Someone who lived in the area please give me an average of your gas bill from the winter. Thanks!

The quadruplex I'm in has a gas line with use determined as it enters the building, not for each apt, so landlord does an avg. Whole building's use for previous 12 mos / 4 apts / 12 mos = my monthly gas bill for the coming year = $79 / mo. Also, this includes heating plus gas stove/oven. Not quite what you're looking for but thought it would give you some idea.