Kansas City University (KCUMB-COB) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I really want to apply to the DO program but my gpa isn't the best. I figured applying to the COB and doing very well there will be my chance to get into COM. 3.1 sGPa and 3.2 cum GPA. I'm involved in sorority life, university orchestra, have some volunteer hours both in medical field and in music. I'm retaking courses I didn't do well in, in hopes to boost my GPA but I'm affraid I will be rejected for COB and being left with no options... help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I really want to apply to the DO program but my gpa isn't the best. I figured applying to the COB and doing very well there will be my chance to get into COM. 3.1 sGPa and 3.2 cum GPA. I'm involved in sorority life, university orchestra, have some volunteer hours both in medical field and in music. I'm retaking courses I didn't do well in, in hopes to boost my GPA but I'm affraid I will be rejected for COB and being left with no options... help!

I would recommend to also apply to similar programs at other schools, and not just KCU's! Look at the specifics of the program admissions requirements.

Also, my application was completed in early March and I got waitlisted. Waited for nearly a month to be accepted. So, don't wait until you get to a certain GPA. Apply as soon as you can- maybe they will like your involvement in ECs!

Best of luck to you! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I was accepted to KCU-COB for Fall 2017 a couple weeks ago, but am having a hard time finding much information about it. Does anyone know where I can find statistics such as number of applicants, number of graduates that are later accepted at KCU-COM, average graduate GPA, etc...? Also does anyone know how many credits it is? I read that Corgilover posted 15 credits/semester so am I safe to assume the program is 30 credits? I ask because I was just told by KCU-COM admissions that the classes you take in the graduate program will count toward your SCI GPA calculation. I was feeling OK about my GPA to get into KCU-COM before AACOMAS decided to stop allowing grade replacement, but now I'm nervous as my GPA was benefiting substantially from grade replacement. I applied to KCU-COM late this cycle (applied in December and interviewed in March) with a cGPA of 3.5 and sGPA of 3.38 and was rejected post interview. Without grade replacement, my cGPA is going to fall to 3.29 and sGPA to 3.09. In order to even reach the KCU-COM minimum for sGPA I will need to get at least a 3.79 in the smp, assuming it is 30 credits. Can any current COB students give an opinion on how realistic this is? Also, a 3.8 in their SMP should help them look past a 3.25 sGPA right? I attribute my low GPA to working 20 hours/week during nearly every semester of my undergrad, and I have no intention of getting a job during the smp just to be able to devote all of my time to study. Any input to any one of these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I was accepted to KCU-COB for Fall 2017 a couple weeks ago, but am having a hard time finding much information about it. Does anyone know where I can find statistics such as number of applicants, number of graduates that are later accepted at KCU-COM, average graduate GPA, etc...? Also does anyone know how many credits it is? I read that Corgilover posted 15 credits/semester so am I safe to assume the program is 30 credits? I ask because I was just told by KCU-COM admissions that the classes you take in the graduate program will count toward your SCI GPA calculation. I was feeling OK about my GPA to get into KCU-COM before AACOMAS decided to stop allowing grade replacement, but now I'm nervous as my GPA was benefiting substantially from grade replacement. I applied to KCU-COM late this cycle (applied in December and interviewed in March) with a cGPA of 3.5 and sGPA of 3.38 and was rejected post interview. Without grade replacement, my cGPA is going to fall to 3.29 and sGPA to 3.09. In order to even reach the KCU-COM minimum for sGPA I will need to get at least a 3.79 in the smp, assuming it is 30 credits. Can any current COB students give an opinion on how realistic this is? Also, a 3.8 in their SMP should help them look past a 3.25 sGPA right? I attribute my low GPA to working 20 hours/week during nearly every semester of my undergrad, and I have no intention of getting a job during the smp just to be able to devote all of my time to study. Any input to any one of these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi spancs, your questions are some of the most specific ones that I have encountered haha. Hopefully I can answer them as specific as you were hoping for, and if not, hope other COBers can help:)

For the matriculation stats, the admissions and the COB dean will provide some of those to you during orientation, during bi-weekly dean's chat, and/or monthly professional development meetings. They won't post those on the website, sorry! However, I think you may email the admissions to request those info.

For course credits, right now it's 15 for fall and 16 for spring, with end-of-year scientific presentation (just a powerpoint presentation and no long papers) + cumulative exam (200 questions that cover all subjects throughout the year). The curriculum is subject to change though. Make sure you check the website for any updates!

And yes the COB grades are gonna factor in your sGPA. What I forgot was that AACOMAS gave less points for +/-. My AACOMAS graduate GPA is around 0.3 lower than my KCU GPA. The admissions will only consider your COB GPA so you won't need to add in your undergrad GPA.

I got a GPA between 3.5-3.6 for fall and my class rank is only around the third quarter. So it seems that anything higher should be very doable!

Thank you so much thebornangel! Your response was very helpful. I was under the impression that you apply for KCU-COM as normal with your undergrad transcripts and just listed the smp as graduate work and both were considered. When you said that "The admissions will only consider your COB GPA so you won't need to add in your undergrad GPA" I was very surprised... Does this mean that even if my undergrad GPA were to be below the minimum, I would still be considered if I had a decent COB GPA? Maybe I've been under the wrong assumption. That would sure be great if they would only look at the COB GPA. Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks again thebornangel I appreciate it!

Thank you so much thebornangel! Your response was very helpful. I was under the impression that you apply for KCU-COM as normal with your undergrad transcripts and just listed the smp as graduate work and both were considered. When you said that "The admissions will only consider your COB GPA so you won't need to add in your undergrad GPA" I was very surprised... Does this mean that even if my undergrad GPA were to be below the minimum, I would still be considered if I had a decent COB GPA? Maybe I've been under the wrong assumption. That would sure be great if they would only look at the COB GPA. Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks again thebornangel I appreciate it!

The admissions did say that they will forgive the undergrad GPA's:) So yes even if your undergrad GPA's were not appealing, you would still be considered if you had a decent COB GPA & MCAT score. The admissions was easy on granting interviews cuz my MCAT didn't meet 501 and still got an interview.

You may email the admissions to confirm their rule on the undergrad GPA. I don't think this rule would change though! Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Can any current COB students give an opinion on how realistic this is? Also, a 3.8 in their SMP should help them look past a 3.25 sGPA right? I attribute my low GPA to working 20 hours/week during nearly every semester of my undergrad, and I have no intention of getting a job during the smp just to be able to devote all of my time to study. Any input to any one of these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Current COB student and accepted to the COM for 2017.

I would 100% not have a job. In order to be successful here you need to treat it like a job, plain and simple. If you study after class until 7-8 pm and work Saturdays and Sundays during the day you will easily pull a 4.0. Thats what I did at least and it seemed to work.

Reactions: 2 users
Current COB student and accepted to the COM for 2017.

I would 100% not have a job. In order to be successful here you need to treat it like a job, plain and simple. If you study after class until 7-8 pm and work Saturdays and Sundays during the day you will easily pull a 4.0. Thats what I did at least and it seemed to work.

Congrats on your acceptance!

May I ask about your general profile? Such as your COB GPA, MCAT score, app. cycle(s) you have gone through, and/or some significant ECs you have? I got rejected yesterday :( and I'm wondering how good I need to be in order to be successful later on...

Congrats on your acceptance!

May I ask about your general profile? Such as your COB GPA, MCAT score, app. cycle(s) you have gone through, and/or some significant ECs you have? I got rejected yesterday :( and I'm wondering how good I need to be in order to be successful later on...

Sorry to hear that. Im curious about what the total numbers were for our class.

Under grad GPA 3.2, COB GPA 4.0, MCAT 29, app cycles too many, did research and lots of volunteering but nothing special for extracurricular

Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that. Im curious about what the total numbers were for our class.

Under grad GPA 3.2, COB GPA 4.0, MCAT 29, app cycles too many, did research and lots of volunteering but nothing special for extracurricular

Best of luck!

Wow that was so impressive, and thank you for providing your details. And just curious- is app cycles >3? If yes, I would feel like I haven't gone through all the bitter struggles that everyone else have gone through since this is only my 2nd cycle and my 1st time applying to KCU.

Since you have a 4.0, may I ask how you prepared for the two immunology exams? My strategy has been to start studying within a week before the exams so I wouldn't forget all those super specific molecular details, and do all those practice questions he sent out... I got 66% for both previous exams so I'm curious about others studying method, especially yours!

Wow that was so impressive, and thank you for providing your details. And just curious- is app cycles >3?

Since you have a 4.0, may I ask how you prepared for the two immunology exams? My strategy has been to start studying within a week before the exams so I wouldn't forget all those super specific molecular details, and do all those practice questions he sent out... I got 66% for both previous exams so I'm curious about others studying method, especially yours!

3 times...lucky number 4 at this point haha.

For immuno I go to every tutoring session, I went online to inkling and download my book, it has its own extra questions every chapter...so I look at the chapters we have gone over and load them onto flash cards, and once he sends out flashcards thats when I start looking at all of them together...The book also has chapter summaries which are really nice for a quick condensed read on what is going on in that lecture. I write out the lecture notes after every class and before the exam I create a condensed study guide which is what I review. And when I can't remember stuff I grab a white board and write.

To be honest its what I do for all the classes. Its time consuming and all I do is study during the week and weekends. To be honest I think its just time with the material! Hope that helps some!

3 times...lucky number 4 at this point haha.

For immuno I go to every tutoring session, I went online to inkling and download my book, it has its own extra questions every chapter...so I look at the chapters we have gone over and load them onto flash cards, and once he sends out flashcards thats when I start looking at all of them together...The book also has chapter summaries which are really nice for a quick condensed read on what is going on in that lecture. I write out the lecture notes after every class and before the exam I create a condensed study guide which is what I review. And when I can't remember stuff I grab a white board and write.

To be honest its what I do for all the classes. Its time consuming and all I do is study during the week and weekends. To be honest I think its just time with the material! Hope that helps some!

Thanks for sharing your study method and that was helpful! Apparently I didn't put enough efforts into studying...

So since you applied multiple cycles, how did you deal with the LoR? Did you ask any of our COB professors to write? Or ask any of your professors from your previous institution to submit more than 1 time?

Thanks for sharing your study method and that was helpful! Apparently I didn't put enough efforts into studying...

So since you applied multiple cycles, how did you deal with the LoR? Did you ask any of our COB professors to write? Or ask any of your professors from your previous institution to submit more than 1 time?

Yeah of course! umm LOR has been weak point to be honest since I was out of school for so long... so I got one of our COB professors to write me one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah of course! umm LOR has been weak point to be honest since I was out of school for so long... so I got one of our COB professors to write me one.

Did you have continuous or frequent interactions with this professor? Or did you simply say "please write a letter for me since I am doing well in your ___ class"? I'm worried about my LoR cuz I haven't had significant interactions with any of our professors... I just don't know what to talk with them:confused:

Thank you both for your input! I am also curious about the LOR question. Did the COB professors seem happy to write a letter? Also can you confirm that KCU-COM only considers your COB GPA? I always feel more comfortable hearing the same thing from multiple people :)

I also had a question that might be slightly off topic. I took my MCAT in December 2014 (right before the change to the new MCAT). The KCU-COM website says "Only MCAT test scores taken after May 2014 will be considered". Are they still talking about the current cycle or next cycle? I'm pretty sure I'll probably have to retake the MCAT in order to apply next cycle, but it doesn't technically hit the 3 year mark until December. I scored a 28 and feel like that is an OK score if they will still accept it. Probably best to ask admissions just to be sure, but I was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Did you have continuous or frequent interactions with this professor? Or did you simply say "please write a letter for me since I am doing well in your ___ class"? I'm worried about my LoR cuz I haven't had significant interactions with any of our professors... I just don't know what to talk with them:confused:

Oh sorry, I guess my last answer was pretty vague. Yeah, I mean I tutored the first semester for one of the professors and I made sure to get to know him on a first name basis. I would swing by to ask something then kind of make casual conversation, Im a little bit older than most of the peers in COB and I had 3 years as a business consultant in the corporate world...so my job was to make conversation with clients and provide solutions for them...so for me I guess I take that for granted...but I hear you...I felt the same way in thinking I had nothing to start a conversation... but I would swing by and introduce myself ....and if you are struggling with a class ask them for help... and maybe with these last tests if you do well in them, they will write you something that demonstrates your ability to seek guidance... Know what I'm trying to get at? Sorry I'm not the best advice giver.

Also I would build up a small CV or convert a resume at least to give them your history of work/research/education etc...and I would ask in person and not over email.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both for your input! I am also curious about the LOR question. Did the COB professors seem happy to write a letter? Also can you confirm that KCU-COM only considers your COB GPA? I always feel more comfortable hearing the same thing from multiple people :)

I also had a question that might be slightly off topic. I took my MCAT in December 2014 (right before the change to the new MCAT). The KCU-COM website says "Only MCAT test scores taken after May 2014 will be considered". Are they still talking about the current cycle or next cycle? I'm pretty sure I'll probably have to retake the MCAT in order to apply next cycle, but it doesn't technically hit the 3 year mark until December. I scored a 28 and feel like that is an OK score if they will still accept it. Probably best to ask admissions just to be sure, but I was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Hmm I would ask...Im not sure. Its right at that three year mark. Sorry!

Oh sorry, I guess my last answer was pretty vague. Yeah, I mean I tutored the first semester for one of the professors and I made sure to get to know him on a first name basis. I would swing by to ask something then kind of make casual conversation, Im a little bit older than most of the peers in COB and I had 3 years as a business consultant in the corporate world...so my job was to make conversation with clients and provide solutions for them...so for me I guess I take that for granted...but I hear you...I felt the same way in thinking I had nothing to start a conversation... but I would swing by and introduce myself ....and if you are struggling with a class ask them for help... and maybe with these last tests if you do well in them, they will write you something that demonstrates your ability to seek guidance... Know what I'm trying to get at? Sorry I'm not the best advice giver.

Also I would build up a small CV or convert a resume at least to give them your history of work/research/education etc...and I would ask in person and not over email.

That was a great advice. I was worrying that I had to do much more than you have described in order to request a letter.

I haven't asked any of our COB prof to write a letter yet, but I know who would be good writers and who to refrain from, based on the layout of the class material they deliver to us. There are some profs who are very organized and are clear about their expectations on students and likely prefer to see students' success. While some profs seem to be so lacking of time that their class material are kinda unorganized and are quite vague about their expectations and likely prefer to challenge students. So in addition to the potential willingness to write a letter, I'd also think about their ability to write a positive and informative letter.

If I were you I'd re-take the MCAT. There are some schools that I applied requiring only the new MCAT. They don't accept old MCAT anymore. So in order to avoid such a hassle while applying, I'd just take the new MCAT, and this can also update the admissions on that I am still able to do well academically even ~3 years later.

Current COB student here if anyone wants to message me with questions!
Hi, I'm accepted to KCU COB class of 2018 just and I am attending the accept day on May 5th. I would love to meet up with other students that have gone attended the program and know Kansas City as I am from NJ. Also if there are any students that are looking for housing that could help me out or need a roommate please reply back. thanks :)

Reactions: 1 users
What is the grading system for the COB for examinations? Is the entire class on a curve and do they lower the denominator on most tests?

What is the grading system for the COB for examinations? Is the entire class on a curve and do they lower the denominator on most tests?

Current grading system for the COB (and possibly COM too):

*Grade on the transcript/numerical value actually earned/grade point assigned for the GPA*
A (90 and above): 4.0
B+ (87-89): 3.7
B (83-86): 3.3
B- (80-82): 3.0
C+ (77-79): 2.7
C (73-76): 2.3
C- (70-72): 2.0
Anything below: F, & dismiss from the program

Notes:
(1) Only the end-of-year cumulative exam uses the P/F system.
(2) The grading system above is NOT the same with that of AACOMAS. AACOMAS' assigns lower grade points for +'s (3.3 for B+ for example).

So far, I only know that one of the immunology exams was curved- only helped to raise the class average to a 80 and wasn't very significant. Our exam averages usually fall in the 80-90 range, and for many times 86, 87 and 88. The only and lowest average so far was a 79 in biochem (exam I & didn't curve), and the highest average was a 98 in physiology II (extra credit questions were offered, and highest grade possible was a 104).

And no, so far they haven't lowered any denominators of any tests. They said that usually 25% of the class would get an A for a particular exam, and I think that's a very fair game.

Hi, I'm accepted to KCU COB class of 2018 just and I am attending the accept day on May 5th. I would love to meet up with other students that have gone attended the program and know Kansas City as I am from NJ. Also if there are any students that are looking for housing that could help me out or need a roommate please reply back. thanks :)

Congrats on your acceptance to the COB!

I hope you'll have a very fulfilling day on the accept day. You will meet student ambassadors (current COM students) on that day, and you may meet those who transit from COB to COM. Those student ambassadors are nice and I'm sure they will happily answer your questions regarding COB and KC.

For housing, if you are not planning to have a car and would like to live right across from the campus, you should contact the Century Towers Apartment (CT) asap. I'm in the CT right now and I know some students (graduating COBers and COM students) are moving out. Spaces fill up very fast (as early as June) so don't wait until the last minute to find a housing.

Current grading system for the COB (and possibly COM too):

*Grade on the transcript/numerical value actually earned/grade point assigned for the GPA*
A (90 and above): 4.0
B+ (87-89): 3.7
B (83-86): 3.3
B- (80-82): 3.0
C+ (77-79): 2.7
C (73-76): 2.3
C- (70-72): 2.0
Anything below: F, & dismiss from the program

Notes:
(1) Only the end-of-year cumulative exam uses the P/F system.
(2) The grading system above is NOT the same with that of AACOMAS. AACOMAS' assigns lower grade points for +'s (3.3 for B+ for example).

So far, I only know that one of the immunology exams was curved- only helped to raise the class average to a 80 and wasn't very significant. Our exam averages usually fall in the 80-90 range, and for many times 86, 87 and 88. The only and lowest average so far was a 79 in biochem (exam I & didn't curve), and the highest average was a 98 in physiology II (extra credit questions were offered, and highest grade possible was a 104).

And no, so far they haven't lowered any denominators of any tests. They said that usually 25% of the class would get an A for a particular exam, and I think that's a very fair game.

So it appears that one needs a mix of high and mid 80s for a 3.5 GPA. Seems reasonable considering in undergrad bio sci I probably need to break 90% for a 3.5 average.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So it appears that one needs a mix of high and mid 80s for a 3.5 GPA. Seems reasonable considering in undergrad bio sci I probably need to break 90% for a 3.5 average.

Not sure if this also applies to other schools but my undergrad even offered a A-, and the point assigned to it was not anywhere close to a 4.0.

I'm currently finishing up my final credit undergrad and should be getting roughly a 3.2 gpa. I won't be taking the mcat until late summer and want to apply to COB soon after.

My concern is what they will be looking for in the resume/cv. I only have work experience at restaurants and things like that. No real crazy honors or grants. I was wondering what they are looking for before applying and what I needed to work on in regards to resume for COB.

Thanks!

I'm currently finishing up my final credit undergrad and should be getting roughly a 3.2 gpa. I won't be taking the mcat until late summer and want to apply to COB soon after.

My concern is what they will be looking for in the resume/cv. I only have work experience at restaurants and things like that. No real crazy honors or grants. I was wondering what they are looking for before applying and what I needed to work on in regards to resume for COB.

Thanks!

To get into COB you probably don't need crazy honors/grants/etc. The COB is designed to help you and give you another chance to be successful. But if you are looking into applying to COM after finishing COB, there's a list of experience expectations on KCU's website, under COM's admissions. I remember seeing "at least 4 clinical experiences" and so on.

You said that you are applying soon after taking the MCAT in late summer. That leaves you basically no time to make major progress for your resume. I suggest that you completely focus on your MCAT since you only have around 3 months to study. You can do ECs but they should not take too much time away from you.

To get into COB you probably don't need crazy honors/grants/etc. The COB is designed to help you and give you another chance to be successful. But if you are looking into applying to COM after finishing COB, there's a list of experience expectations on KCU's website, under COM's admissions. I remember seeing "at least 4 clinical experiences" and so on.

You said that you are applying soon after taking the MCAT in late summer. That leaves you basically no time to make major progress for your resume. I suggest that you completely focus on your MCAT since you only have around 3 months to study. You can do ECs but they should not take too much time away from you.

Hey, got any updates on interview / acceptance numbers for the current cohort? Also, what is the mcat prep like? I have the 501 requirement already but just barely so I should probably retake it for backup DO programs. With graduation around the corner I just ain't in the mood to start Kaplan FLs ‍♂️

Hey, got any updates on interview / acceptance numbers for the current cohort? Also, what is the mcat prep like? I have the 501 requirement already but just barely so I should probably retake it for backup DO programs. With graduation around the corner I just ain't in the mood to start Kaplan FLs ‍♂️

For our class, we had 70 applicants, 66 interviewed, 27 accepted to KC campus, 14 accepted to Joplin campus, and the remaining were waitlist/rejected. For class of 2016 (the previous class), 42% (so 39 students) accepted to KCU (includes those applied last cycle + current cycle), 61% (56) accepted to med schools including KCU, and 70% pursued a career in health professionals (dentist, PA, etc).

We did not have a mcat prep class. They only gave us a set of Kaplan books/online resources for our own use, at our own pace.

I suggest that you do FLs as soon as possible after your graduation (congrats btw!) especially the AAMC ones. Try to find very lengthy passages to do as the length of my latest MCAT (2017) was so much longer than that of the one I took in 2015. GL!

Quick question for some current COB students: how much did books/supplies cost you for the duration of the program? I'm trying to figure out a budget right now. Actually, any budget information would be appreciated like how much you find yourself spending on food/month, transportation, other misc or unexpected charges? I understand that this can vary significantly from student to student, but any kind of real life info you would be comfortable sharing would be appreciated! Thanks!

Quick question for some current COB students: how much did books/supplies cost you for the duration of the program? I'm trying to figure out a budget right now. Actually, any budget information would be appreciated like how much you find yourself spending on food/month, transportation, other misc or unexpected charges? I understand that this can vary significantly from student to student, but any kind of real life info you would be comfortable sharing would be appreciated! Thanks!

Idk if you've seen this PDF but it provides you a budget outline and what amount of funds will be made available to you.

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/kansas-ci...ns/financial-aid/BudgetGuideBiosciencesMA.pdf

For this year I feel like textbooks were a waste of money haha. Basically studying the PowerPoints has been enough, and for me I barely had time to read anything else other than the biochem textbook (and I only read for the first exam:rolleyes:). If I were you I'd wait until the professors present their sample exam questions and decide whether textbook readings are necessary. Also, for many second semester textbooks, KCU has them on its library website under E-books.

For food I usually go to ALDI near the CT by walking (I don't have a car lol). Sometimes I'd buy cafeteria food and it usually cost me from $5-$7. There were many professional development meetings throughout the year and free foods (usually pizzas) were offered.

If you want to join the school clubs/organizations then you pay the membership fees. Other than those I didn't pay anything else.

They were somewhat vague about this. I don't believe they necessarily "save" us seats but even by March the class won't officially be full, students will get accepted into their state schools, MD programs, etc by this time and give up their seat. Our class has about 100 students and its not like we are all being offered an interview, and some people are waiting until next cycle to apply. I would guess less than half are hoping for a COM spot. And with KC campus having ~270 seats and Joplin having ~150 I'd say there will be plenty of open seats assuming they accept 2/3 - 3/4 of our class that gets an interview. However it is definitely still a gamble. I'm fortunate to have a solid backup in case KCU doesn't work out.

You mentioned MD programs. Do you know how many COB students get accepted into allopathic schools or is it more of a rare thing?

Question from past COB'ers: Which books did you actually use? I'm hearing fellow classmates say they bought books from previous COB'ers and the books were still in the plastic and hadn't been used. Any input?

Question from past COB'ers: Which books did you actually use? I'm hearing fellow classmates say they bought books from previous COB'ers and the books were still in the plastic and hadn't been used. Any input?
Immunology book was helpful, and if you want a biochem book then use the panini book. But honestly I didn't use any of the books, most people didn't.