KCUMB Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a note to let anyone hoping for a spot or an interview that I have withdrawn--- I loved KCUMB and was very torn, but ultimately my spouse and I sat down together and he felt more comfortable with another school's location (he can transfer jobs within the same company).

KCUMB has a lot to offer, so good luck to everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm at KCUMB right now working on my masters and will be in the class of 2013 with a lot of you guys. I just wanted to tell people that are unfamiliar with the KC area that I'm always available if you have any questions! I've lived around here since kindergarten so I have a pretty good feel for it if you need any advice :)

I haven't had a ton of interaction with the medical school itself, but the little bit that I have had has been pretty wonderful. Everyone on campus is incredibly friendly and all of the med students that I have talked to seem to LOVE the school. Yeah, obviously, there is a lot of work...but the atmosphere here is very cooperative and people are very helpful. I know I was nervous that maybe it was just an act that they put on for the interview day - but honestly, that is just not the case. I know this sounds cheesy but I absolutely love it at KCUMB and can't wait to start med school with you guys!

Hi everybody,

I'm hopefully going to be attending KCUMB in 2012. I'm a non-traditional student so I've got to start all over and get my pre-meds done but as of right now KCUMB is for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there this summer! Can't wait!:)

is the secondary for kcumb available anywhere, i would like to start on it before receiving it. Thanks

thanks doctor b, after being verified how long does it take to receive the secondaey?

Hey
Has anyone that has been accepted or interviewed at KCUMB this year have similar stats as me? I am just trying to figure out if i should completely lose hope. Here are my stats:
MCAT: V:8, PS:6, BS:8 =22 O
Science cum: 3.6
overall cum: 3.63
I have great clinical experience and ECs as well as great LORs

thanks doctor b, after being verified how long does it take to receive the secondaey?

the secondary comes pretty quick, id say within a week. its hard to predict the interview invite though

Hey
Has anyone that has been accepted or interviewed at KCUMB this year have similar stats as me? I am just trying to figure out if i should completely lose hope. Here are my stats:

D.O. schools have people in their classes with similar scores, and also people with mind-blowing ones. KCUMB? Well, just search http://www.mdapplicants.com/. Put in your stats at the bottom. Also, remember that this is from a SMALL percentage of the accepted and/or interviewed population that was willing to post on MDapps. If you have a strong app. elsewhere, the 6 on the PS won't be too bad, just be prepared to explain it in your interview.

Hey

Not to freak you out, but honestly you may have a tough row to hoe with those stats. First, you should have a plan in place to retake your MCAT. Schools use the MCAT as metric to measure your ability to take standardized tests. If you have low scores, schools may be worried about your ability to pass the USMLE or COMLEX. You'll want to shoot for a 24 (8, 8, 8) at the very minimum to assauge any fears about your scores. Good luck!

Hey all, just wanting to let all you people waiting for interviews that I too have declined my acceptance and wish you the best of luck! KCUMB is a great school just not the best fit for me.

i just got a email from KCUMB stating that I am under "qualified" status - meaning my file has been reviewed and although all requirements are met I have not been invited to interview. I know they look at the qualified students once again - but still, what are my chances at this point?

does qualified mean that my foot is half-way in??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to give shout out to everyone applying here this cycle! I'll be interviewing after Christmas and am really excited. Seems like you get a lot of strong clinical experience!

Nice to meet everyone!

Declined as well. Good luck this season to you all and Merry Christmas!

how do you check your status? Could someone post a link, thanks!

It took about a week for me to get the secondary application. I just wished they had a more "holistic" approach to screening applicants for interview and acceptance. There is more to me than a qualified status pre-interview hold KCUMB! But I still love you because you are KCUMB and will be waiting to see if I make it out of the waitlist.

Anyone know which days KCUMB interviews on? I'm scheduled for a Tuesdsay but would rather have a Friday or Monday.

Has anyone recieved any news about interviews regarding the masters of biosciences from KCUMB?? If so, did they come in e-mail, snail mail, phone call, ect...?

Thanks!

the secondary comes pretty quick, id say within a week. its hard to predict the interview invite though

However, my secondary and Interview Invite were lost in the email about a month ago. I contacted KCUMB when I noticed they were the only school I hadn't heard from. So definitely call to check!

I called to check if I should have received a secondary (b/c from what I read online it sounded as if I should have), and the woman on the phone sounded so sweet and like she didn't want to hurt my feelings. Then she asked me my scores, and sounded a whole lot more perky...until she realized my pre-secondary invite & secondary never made it to me.

Best wishes and good luck. I think I'm about to cancel my interview, so I hope you get my spot :)

I just sent an email to cancel my interview for 1/15, so there's probably a spot open if somebody wants to call and try and grab it.

Has anyone recieved any news about interviews regarding the masters of biosciences from KCUMB?? If so, did they come in e-mail, snail mail, phone call, ect...?

Thanks!

When I did the program, the interview invite came snail mail. If you have any further questions about the program, feel free to PM me.

Hey

If you don't get in the first try, you can always apply to one of their master's programs. It will help with admission the following year (I am proof of this one).

As one more note for those that have interviewed and have been wait-listed. Don't give up hope until about after the first day of class. I know of some people that got in the weekend before classes started and even that Monday. Good luck!

Tuition quote is right.
it'd be about 800-1000/mo for an apt close to downtown, ive found cheaper for different areas. CT (not great, but awesome for convenience) is around 550-600/mo for one bedroom and 750/mo for two bedroom.. so that's pretty cheap, especially if you're sharing.

I know people who have stayed at these places for cheaper and were satisfied with their living for the few years they were there.

Walnut Creek

Also, apartments in Gladstone, MO are very cheap. Example: London Towers

Remember that your living expenses are limited, therefore you need to live like a student. Cheaper made apartments are great, but just make sure they are in a safer neighborhood. You should aim for about $500-600 /month rent so that you can afford everything else you may want/need throughout the year. I think it averages out that you are allowed around 1300/month with full financial aid loans your first year. Living expense allowance will increase your second year, but you also have to pay for board prep materials. My advice is to live as cheaply as you can so that when unforeseen bills come you will be able to pay them.

Walnut Creek looks nice. They are really obsessed with the pool in that promo video.

I'm thinking I'll probably end up at CT.. just so I can sleep in later. I dread mornings. And I won't use as much gas. But we'll see. Heading out probably March-ish to check some stuff out. Still trying to find a roomie though!

is there anyway to check up on your status of your application at kcumb?

Just sent my deposit! Still have a few February interviews but KCUMB is my top choice at this point. Lets see some more excitement on this thread!

Just sent my deposit! Still have a few February interviews but KCUMB is my top choice at this point. Lets see some more excitement on this thread!

here's excitement! I'm excited to move out there and away from mi!

I have an interview at KCUMB coming up on the 21st. I'm really nervous...does anyone have any tips for a successful interview at Kansas City???

thanks.

Last edited:
I have an interview at KCUMB coming up on the 21st. I'm really nervous...does anyone have any tips for a successful interview at Kansas City???

thanks.

My interview was really laid back. By far the best out of the 5 i went to. They will pair you up with someone with something in common as you for one of your interviewers i think. Mine was the head of the clinical research center who does a lot of AIDS/HIV research, and I did a research project on HIV/AIDS epidemic for a sociology class that I guess the professor wrote a lot about in my LOR. So that's how we had a similarity. It was defn not bad though. Just know your file and be yourself! =)

I saw in an earlier post that if you are invited to interview at KCUMB that as long as you don't completely blow the interview, you're pretty much in... Is this true??? My stats are cGPA 3.46, sGPA 3.23, MCAT 29P (9 PS, 9 BS, 11 VR). I have good volunteer experience, work in a hospital as a monitor tech, research experience, and good LORs. Waitlisted at LECOM-B, final pool at University of Iowa, interviewing at LECOM-E January 24 and KCUMB February 11. Starting to panic.... Reassurance, anyone?

I saw in an earlier post that if you are invited to interview at KCUMB that as long as you don't completely blow the interview, you're pretty much in... Is this true??? My stats are cGPA 3.46, sGPA 3.23, MCAT 29P (9 PS, 9 BS, 11 VR). I have good volunteer experience, work in a hospital as a monitor tech, research experience, and good LORs. Waitlisted at LECOM-B, final pool at University of Iowa, interviewing at LECOM-E January 24 and KCUMB February 11. Starting to panic.... Reassurance, anyone?

you sound pretty well rounded.. i got into both KCUMB and LECOM, and my GPAs are slightly higher, but my MCAT is lower. You'll be just fine!!!! Good luck!

I think I bombed my interview and I still got in. I didn't say anything insulting or weird, but I was incredibly nervous and the majority of my answers were not thought out whatsoever. And, no, I'm not one of those people who scores a 99 on an exam and then tells everyone "OMG, I think I failed that test." I'm being realistic. I did poorly and I got in. However, my stats are decent and KCUMB might be interested in improving their incoming GPAs and MCATs. But don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of KCUMB or anything. They seem like a fine school and their matchlist, in my opinion, is the strongest of any osteopathic medical school.

Could those of you who were recently interviewed/accepted post your stats? I'd really appreciate it a comparison... thanks!

Could those of you who were recently interviewed/accepted post your stats? I'd really appreciate it a comparison... thanks!

You can check out mine. It was my first interview and I was really nervous, but it was also the most low-key and realistic atmosphere of any of my interview days. We spent a most of the day with the student ambassadors (about 20 of them), who genuinely seemed to care about getting to know us and preparing us for the interview. Rather than formal presentations and admissions representatives leading the tour, I really felt I got a sense of the student perspective and was able to have multiple informal conversations with students from different backgrounds. One even drove me back to where I was staying! I loved the school, and was found out I was accepted by mail 3 days later (I think I was just lucky because the adcomm met the day after my interview). I just sent my deposit and while I have 2 other interviews in February, I feel really good about KCUMB. I'm sure you will do fine, and at my interview, both the students and the faculty said that they don't ask people to come all the way there to interview unless they are really interested, which is why their interview/acceptance ratio is so high. Good Luck, and maybe I'll see you there in the fall!

Has anyone heard back regarding the Master's program?

i just got a email from KCUMB stating that I am under "qualified" status - meaning my file has been reviewed and although all requirements are met I have not been invited to interview. I know they look at the qualified students once again - but still, what are my chances at this point?

does qualified mean that my foot is half-way in??

Hi Jones,
I got the same thing and emailed Brooke Birdsong at the admission's office about it. I'll cut and paste the question and response:

Hi Brooke,
Thank you for updating me on the status of my application. I am still
very interested in attending the KCUMB medical school and am wondering
if you might know how likely it will be that KCUMB would grant me an
interview.

Brooke's reply:
It really depends on how the rest of the application cycle goes. Those
applications that are qualified will be reviewed again at the end of the
cycle if we still have open spots in the medical program. I could tell
you that there is a slim chance and you would get one; or I could tell
you that there is a good possibility and then we will be full. Sorry I
don't have a good answer for you.

So basically "qualified" means we MIGHT get reviewed for an interview IF they run out of people to interview... LOL I'm thinking of switching my app to the MS in Biomedical Sciences... has anyone done this and would you recommend my switching my application from the DO program to the MS and completely knock my chances of being in DO school in 2009 at KCUMB? Do any of you know of people who were "upgraded" from the "qualified" status and actually offered an interview?

Part of me thinks "go for broke" since I have interviews at two other schools so if I get in one of those clearly I wouldn't be going to a master's program instead and MAYBE luck would have it that I get invited for an interview at KCUMB.... and part of me now wants to use the KCUMB program as my "backup plan" since the MS program really does sound interesting and med schools sometimes ask what you'd do if you don't get into med school.

Any advice?

Does KCUMB send out a confirmation that you have accepted an interview invite? I faxed a confirmation a few weeks ago for the date I was invited and I assume they got it?

does anyone know what days kcumb interviews, i got one for a wednesday but would rather go on a different day.

I was concerned about the same thing when I sent my interview confirmation. I believe they emailed a confirmation, but I can't remember at this point. Shooting Brooke in the admissions office an email would get you answer pretty quick. She is really nice. Hope thus helps and good luck. I loved it when I went to my interview.

Thanks! I will do that.

Hey!
Did anyone else interview on 1/21? They said they would send out decisions by the 9th but I'm hoping it comes sooner...I'm really anxious. I loved the school and it is definitely one of my top choices.

Anybody interviewing 2/11? And does anyone know what the average turn-around time is for acceptances/rejection/waitlist after the interview? Thanks!

It just depends on when they meet in relationship to your interview date. I hosted a student who interviewed on Jan 21st, and they told her she would know by Feb. 9th. You can also call the school and find out over the phone usually a week later.

There is another discussion thread termed KCUMB Class of 2013 if anyone else is interested in talking with some people who are now planning to attend. Just fyi!