KCUMB Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey i don't know if this will help anyone but...

I was scheduled for an interview for March 16th but have called and withdrew my application today since I have decided to go to another school.

Anyway for those of you who haven't been invited for an interview, I hope one of you on here gets my spot on that day and that you are successful at getting accepted.

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Does anyone know how the ECEs work? Are they classes or do you shadow someone. How many weeks are each experience? How does it work? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
ECE's are pretty much a psuedo-shadowing experience. I dont know about second year but first year you pretty much spend an afternoon shadowing a doctor they assign you with. Each ECE is pretty variable. Its going to be like shadowing except you may be expected to do more or be able to answer questions. Nothing special.

Hi, Does anyone know how the ECEs work? Are they classes or do you shadow someone. How many weeks are each experience? How does it work? Thanks.

check your mailboxes, i just received the letter of acceptance from kcumb!!

check your mailboxes, i just received the letter of acceptance from kcumb!!

havent checked my mailbox, but i did call. there should be something good in my mailbox as well.

Just sent in my $2000, moving to class of 2013 thread!

hey. i also just put my $2000 down. I'm all for moving into Century Towers.... anybody got any clues on how to find a roomie? When does KCUMB send us the packet telling us when school starts and stuff?

w00t!!

To those of you who interviewed -- where did you stay and was there free shuttle service from the airport? I called around and there doesn't appear to be, but I read earlier in the thread that someone stayed somewhere there was. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Hello Everyone. So finally I decided to come to KCUMB. I was wavering between here and LECOM. And I really tried to like LECOM (being closer to home) but in the end was not very comfortable with the idea. Anyways, where do I stay?

I know CT seems like a good idea but I would rather stay a little away from the school. Just my preference. So here is what I would like and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

1. Commute- not more than 15 to 20 minutes with light traffic. Absolutely essential. The less the better.

2. Location- I would prefer a Safe neighborhood. I have lived in a pretty bad city so it would be nice not having to worry about someone stealing my car.
Also I prefer areas which have something to do on weekends nearby (when I get a chance that is).

3. I want a single bedroom or studio in the 500-600 range. Garage parking would be nice.

I have looked at some places in the FOR RENT magazine. But I am looking for a list of names of apartments not just the areas. Everything looks nice in the pics but I really would not have time to check them all out before moving there. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Yay I am so excited. :soexcited:

I am very excited to be a member of the KCUMB class of 2013!!!! I do have a question about the MBA/DO program. Is it true that you don't travel for your rotations during your third and fourth year if your in the program? I have heard multiple answers. Some say that you just cant travel your third year because your finishing up your MBA classes but you can travel during your fourth year, others say that you cant travel at all during your third and fourth year due to MBA classes. Anybody know which it is?

We stay which in Kansas City for our third year in the MBA program.

Members don't see this ad :)
We stay which in Kansas City for our third year in the MBA program.
Thanks WDeagle, are you in the MBA/DO program? If so, are you glad you did? Any advice you could give me one way or the other? The main reasons I want to do it is so that I can have the option of getting involved in administration in the future, and to help myself stand out when I am applying to competitive residencies. Are these reasons logical, or misguided?

Does anyone know anything about the summer program offered by KCUMB to those students who may have been out of the academic world for a while. I heard it is supposed to be a good program to help you get geared up for med school. Any thoughts?

I was just accepted into the Bioethics program with a guaranteed seat for the Fall '10 medical school. To say I'm wicked excited would be an understatement!! Although when I called my family to tell them they didn't believe me because it's April Fool's Day. Oh well, I'm in:D:D

Hi. I received an email for an invitation to an interview on April 23, 2009. Since I am aware that it is pretty late in the application cycle, I was just wondering if it is worth it to accept the interview. I would be traveling from New Jersey so I would be going 1/2 way across the country. After I called the admission, I found out that they have filled only 3/4 of their class. Does anyone know if applicants have been accept to the program after a late interview date? I have interviewed at 4 schools. 3 waitlists and 1 still waiting on. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Hi. I received an email for an invitation to an interview on April 23, 2009. Since I am aware that it is pretty late in the application cycle, I was just wondering if it is worth it to accept the interview. I would be traveling from New Jersey so I would be going 1/2 way across the country. After I called the admission, I found out that they have filled only 3/4 of their class. Does anyone know if applicants have been accept to the program after a late interview date? I have interviewed at 4 schools. 3 waitlists and 1 still waiting on. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

If they are at 75%, then they still have ~60 open spots. Since you don't have a guaranteed acceptance anywhere else yet, and there is a good chance of being accepted at KCUMB since you have an interview, its probably worth it.

Thanks!

For what its worth, the KCUMB admissions committee has a reputation for accepting a relatively large percentage of the candidates who they interview.

Hello Everyone. So finally I decided to come to KCUMB. I was wavering between here and LECOM. And I really tried to like LECOM (being closer to home) but in the end was not very comfortable with the idea. Anyways, where do I stay?

I know CT seems like a good idea but I would rather stay a little away from the school. Just my preference. So here is what I would like and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

1. Commute- not more than 15 to 20 minutes with light traffic. Absolutely essential. The less the better.

2. Location- I would prefer a Safe neighborhood. I have lived in a pretty bad city so it would be nice not having to worry about someone stealing my car.
Also I prefer areas which have something to do on weekends nearby (when I get a chance that is).

3. I want a single bedroom or studio in the 500-600 range. Garage parking would be nice.

I have looked at some places in the FOR RENT magazine. But I am looking for a list of names of apartments not just the areas. Everything looks nice in the pics but I really would not have time to check them all out before moving there. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Yay I am so excited. :soexcited:

I'm in the Bioethics program at KCUMB and I live in Overland Park. It's a great place to live! I live at about 435 highway and Nall in an apartment complex called Amli at Cambridge Square. Rent is a little bit more expensive than what you said you wanted to pay, but I thought it was worth it to feel safe and be happy with where I live. I've been here since July and I absolutely love it....I'm actually about to extend my lease. It's a 20 minute drive to school...sometimes there is traffic, but if you just leave a little early you'll be fine. People in my class live all over the city, so if you have any questions about my apartment complex or others - just let me know. Also, the ladies in admissions can usually give some pretty good advice on where to look. I think they also have a woman who can help you find a place...although I can't remember exactly how that works.

Thanks!

I'm assuming this is the same for all interview days...but in general, if you get an interview at KCUMB, you have a VERY good chance of getting accepted. It's upwards of a 75% chance I believe. If I were you, I'd go!

Curious bee here. Does KCUMB have a school insurance plan? And if yes, how much is it annually? Is it factored into cost of attendance?

Curious bee here. Does KCUMB have a school insurance plan? And if yes, how much is it annually? Is it factored into cost of attendance?

No, so you are free to choose any company you'd like. They did have agents here during orientation to help you set it up (BCBS and State Farm I think).

No, so you are free to choose any company you'd like. They did have agents here during orientation to help you set it up (BCBS and State Farm I think).

Since there's not a group plan, do the companies charge whatever they like? I ask because I have a pre-existing health condition and I'm wondering how that might affect things if I'm fortunate enough to be accepted to KCUMB.

Thanks for all your input! I'm scheduled for the this coming Tuesday the 21st ..hopefully it goes well..

Hey I just sent in my money for the bioethics program too! I also have a guaranteed seat for med school in 2010! I am pumped! Now I have to figure out where to live and how to get there!

Anyone in the 2009-2010 Bioscience program, i created a facebook group for us all to get to know a bit about each other and the plans we are making. Check it out!

FYI...there's a facebook group started for anyone who is planning on being a part of the Bioethics program next year. It's called "KCUMB Bioethics Class of 2010."

Last edited:
I interviewed this past week and loved everything about this school. I really hope I get in. The next two weeks are going to seem like the longest ever!

I am glad you enjoyed your interview! I hope you hear good news soon!:luck::xf:

Hi. Does anyone have the 2009 Match list perchance?:cool:

if you search on facebook for kcumb match list you should be able to see students post their results on there. It doesn't look entirely complete, but can give you an idea of where some people are going and in what specialty.

Hey I was wondering if anyone that interviewed on 4/21 has heard an admissions decision yet? When does the committee meet?

Hey I was wondering if anyone that interviewed on 4/21 has heard an admissions decision yet? When does the committee meet?

I haven't heard yet. I've been checking the mail every day as soon as I get home from work. This wait is more painful than waiting for MCAT scores.

I haven't heard yet. I've been checking the mail every day as soon as I get home from work. This wait is more painful than waiting for MCAT scores.

I feel your pain!!! ...I think they are meeting this week to decide....I think they have to let us know by May 11th....Good luck to everyone!!!!

Hey everyone! I'll be in the Biosciences class entering this fall, then staying on for med-school in '10! wahoo! I'm from Ohio, so I don't really know anyone in KC yet, or where to live etc. I'm definitely interested in finding a roommate. I've been feverishly looking up places to live, and getting great advice...now just looking for someone to join! Let me know :)

Congrats to everyone!

I feel your pain!!! ...I think they are meeting this week to decide....I think they have to let us know by May 11th....Good luck to everyone!!!!

Earlier in this thread, someone said that the admissions committee meets on Fridays. So if they're meeting this week, that means tomorrow, I assume. If they meet tomorrow, then we probably won't get the letters until the middle of next week. I guess a few more days is no big deal, but I was hoping we'd know something going into the weekend or on Monday.

I think they will let you all know by May 11th. Good Luck!:luck:

I spoke to a person in the admissions office who said they'd mail out decisions either monday or tuesday. They met this morning but you won't be able to call to find out the decision until late monday or tuesday. Yes, I'm feeling a bit impatient.

Hey everyone! I'll be in the Biosciences class entering this fall, then staying on for med-school in '10! wahoo! I'm from Ohio, so I don't really know anyone in KC yet, or where to live etc. I'm definitely interested in finding a roommate. I've been feverishly looking up places to live, and getting great advice...now just looking for someone to join! Let me know :)

Congrats to everyone!

Good to hear classmate! I will see you there for sure. :D KCUMB COB Class of 10'!

To the late April interview crew -- check your mailboxes, guys. Letters have arrived :)

I'm waitlisted with a guaranteed spot for the Class of 2014!

It's a year later, but I'm SO excited! I'm going to be a doctor!!!

Hey I got the same message for a 2010 acceptance! I'm excited too!!! I never hear much about KCUMB's waitlist on this forum. Does anyone know about how many are on it and if it tends to move at all?

Rapunzeldances, this is a long shot, but by any chance, were you the one I walked around Kansas City with after interviews?

Congrats, guys! PM me if you have any questions. I would think there could be some movement on the waitlist because May 15th is the deadline for students holding multiple acceptances to allopathic programs.

:confused:How did you find out that you're guaranteed an acceptance for C/O 2014? I got my letter today saying that I'm on the alternate list. Did your letter say you were guaranteed entrance or have you talked to someone at the school?

Last edited:
:confused:How did you find out that you're guaranteed an acceptance for C/O 2014? I got my letter today saying that I'm on the alternate list. Did your letter say you were guaranteed entrance or have you talked to someone at the school?

It says in the letter that if a seat doesn't open up, I'm guaranteed a seat for the entering class in 2010 (C/O 2014).

Rapunzeldances, this is a long shot, but by any chance, were you the one I walked around Kansas City with after interviews?

Yes it was me! I was just going to email you to tell you the news, but I guess I announced it on a public forum =) I'm really excited about school but hope that I don't have to move right when school starts (that whole reserve the right to call you off the waitlist until Aug 10th scares me).