KCUMB Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my letter today. I wish mine had said that. I really wanted to go this year...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it was me! I was just going to email you to tell you the news, but I guess I announced it on a public forum =) I'm really excited about school but hope that I don't have to move right when school starts (that whole reserve the right to call you off the waitlist until Aug 10th scares me).

YAY! I'm so glad we're going to be classmates!

I'm also not looking forward to a last-minute move. Hopefully, there will be some waitlist movement in late May or June. If not, then we have over a year to prepare for med school! Can you believe it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my letter today. I wish mine had said that. I really wanted to go this year...

Docjordo, you never know. You could be high on the waitlist and I bet spots will open up in the coming months. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we all make it in this year. Good luck!

I'm also not looking forward to a last-minute move. Hopefully, there will be some waitlist movement in late May or June. If not, then we have over a year to prepare for med school! Can you believe it?

I was really hoping that you'd be my classmate too! Yay!I still feel like I'm dreaming! I can't believe my lifelong dream is going to come true!

Hey guys! I'm entering the 2009-2010 bioethics class (which I'm super excited about). I was wondering if we're supposed to be getting some kind of information packet, or if we have some kind of orientation day at the school. I feel like I have no idea what's going on . . .

Hey guys! I'm entering the 2009-2010 bioethics class (which I'm super excited about). I was wondering if we're supposed to be getting some kind of information packet, or if we have some kind of orientation day at the school. I feel like I have no idea what's going on . . .

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm in the bioethics program right now so maybe I can help. You'll be getting a packet soon I'm sure. Your orientation day will be July 6th, and then your classes will start the next day. Last year our summer classes were Mon-Fri from 9-12. I'm not positive if yours will be the same though!

Docjordo, you never know. You could be high on the waitlist and I bet spots will open up in the coming months. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we all make it in this year. Good luck!

Thanks. Yea I hope so, too. The admissions office told me the list isn't ranked and that they only pulled 2 or 3 from the list last year. Guess you never know what could happen. We could be one of those few.

Did anyone else get a call from Admissions on Friday? One of the people I met when I interviewed was also placed on the alternate list last Monday, and then she got accepted on Friday.

Did anyone else get a call from Admissions on Friday? One of the people I met when I interviewed was also placed on the alternate list last Monday, and then she got accepted on Friday.

No phone call here. Congratulations to your friend! Thanks for letting us know. It's good to know the waitlist is moving.

Haven't gotten a phone call either. But it is encouraging to hear that someone's moved off of the waitlist and it is still May.

Haven't gotten a phone call either. But it is encouraging to hear that someone's moved off of the waitlist and it is still May.

It is good news :). I called the admissions office after getting my Alternate List letter, and according to the lady who answered, it's a slim chance of being pulled off since they only took a few off last year. After asking her that though, I found out that she had no idea they had even pulled my friend from the list. I guess I'm hoping she was misinformed about the process and there will be more spots open :D

I would call and ask for Stephen Phipps. He seemed to have the waitlist in front of him and can give you more information. He made it sound like about 6 people make it off of the list on average but every year is different.

Members don't see this ad :)
someone else from admissions said 2-3 people off of waitlist. so your right it must be very few. =(

Hey I was wondering if anyone from the masters of bioethics program has recieved financial aid packets or some other type of packet from the school yet? I called at the end of April and they said they would be sending something out soon, but that was three weeks ago... Anyone?

:xf:

someone else from admissions said 2-3 people off of waitlist. so your right it must be very few. =(

Sounds like you talked to the same person that I did. I'm hoping she is wrong though. She had no idea that my friend or anyone else was accepted IF anyone else was accepted. I don't she would have lied though so she was probably telling me from past experience :(. Their admissions office seems to be very neat and in order. KCUMB is my top choice, and although I know I have a better shot next year it's still a letdown after driving 8 hours there and back. I loved the city and the school.

Yeah she didn't even look at where I was on the waitlist but was just talking about what she's seen in past years. Steven actually had the list and can tell you a bit more of where you stand. Unfortunately they really have no control over who keeps their seat and who decides on attending another school. I wish DO's had a deadline like the May 15th one for MD's so we would know more of when to expect movement. I guess this wait is the punishment for applying late.

Just a glimmer of hope for you all, I got off the waitlist @ my state school so I will be withdrawing my seat @ KCUMB this week. Hope it goes to one of you, it's a wonderful school!!!:)

Just a glimmer of hope for you all, I got off the waitlist @ my state school so I will be withdrawing my seat @ KCUMB this week. Hope it goes to one of you, it's a wonderful school!!!:)

Call them and tell them I want it! lol ;) I hope several more open up!! I loved it there

So I'm one of the others who got waitlisted and a guaranteed spot for 2014. No more applications or stress over all this, yay!!

rm2908 that's great news! Congrats! And welcome to the wonderful wait drphil! Yeah I'm glad the stress factor of being a doctor is gone too. What day did you interview?

I'll echo Rapunzeldances and say congratulations to rm2908 and also to drphil. Welcome to the wait! By the way, my confession -- I watch that show. Don't hate me :)

Docjordo, I've still got my fingers crossed for all of us! Hopefully, we'll all make it in before orientation.

I'll echo Rapunzeldances and say congratulations to rm2908 and also to drphil. Welcome to the wait! By the way, my confession -- I watch that show. Don't hate me :)

Docjordo, I've still got my fingers crossed for all of us! Hopefully, we'll all make it in before orientation.

Thanks I appreciate that. I hope we all go, too. It would be nice to be called before August, but if they called me on 8/11....I would pack a bag and take the quickest flight to KC!...then move later

i don't hate you! yeah so when you're name is Phil and you're going into medicine, guess what people call you?

rm2908 that's great news! Congrats! And welcome to the wonderful wait drphil! Yeah I'm glad the stress factor of being a doctor is gone too. What day did you interview?

I interviewed April 22 i think, it was around then anyway. I was kinda surprised, I felt like the actual interview went poorly; guess it wasn't so bad.

Yeah, this summer or next, I'm happy. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the campus and the positive vibes I had from the students there. I'll be happy there for sure.

I interviewed April 22 i think, it was around then anyway. I was kinda surprised, I felt like the actual interview went poorly; guess it wasn't so bad.

Yeah, this summer or next, I'm happy. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the campus and the positive vibes I had from the students there. I'll be happy there for sure.

I was just curious since Revilla and I interviewed on Tues 4/21 and wondered if we'd met. But that's good to know that the interview went better than expected! It is hard to be a good judge of our own performance. Yeah I think I had a misconception of what Missouri would be like and was pleasantly surprised. I felt that the school was good enough to help me forget the extreme Midwest weather. I felt that the students seemed happier there than the ones I met at a different DO school.

I was just curious since Revilla and I interviewed on Tues 4/21 and wondered if we'd met. But that's good to know that the interview went better than expected! It is hard to be a good judge of our own performance. Yeah I think I had a misconception of what Missouri would be like and was pleasantly surprised. I felt that the school was good enough to help me forget the extreme Midwest weather. I felt that the students seemed happier there than the ones I met at a different DO school.

Hey I interviewed on the 4/23 right after you guys! I bet we would have been accepted already if we had applied earlier

Yeah I think I had a misconception of what Missouri would be like and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm curious what your conception of MO was prior to the interview. I recall thinking the same thing about two years ago. I've lived in big cities pretty much my whole life and had the conception that MO was just one big, flat farm, where people are genuine and friendly. Well, it turns out it isn't totally flat, after all. :D

I felt that the school was good enough to help me forget the extreme Midwest weather.

Yeah, the weather can definitely be extreme. There's an old saying here: "If you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes and it'll change." The most surprising thing was the spring/summer rain storms, where it just pours and hails at the same time, causing cars to get all dinged up. There's a whole seasonal business here where they fix hail-damaged cars. If you decide to come here, make sure you live in a place with a carport. Then there is the occasional twister warning...

I felt that the students seemed happier there than the ones I met at a different DO school.

Could be. I don't know since I haven't visited most other schools, just some. Perception, and how schools sometimes play with it, is everything, though. I wouldn't use how happy students look, especially the ones the school puts in front of you, as an essential criteria, necessarily, because it can be tweaked. Take it from someone who has been around the block a few times. I used to be in corporate business. :laugh: It is also quite possible that you won't or don't like the same things as those who you perceive as being happy. You sort of have to place yourself at the school and imagine yourself there. It's tough though at this stage. It really is. You are just dying to get in somewhere and schools know that. Remember, look for VALUE, just what you are getting for your money, look for how the school treats it's students, the environment directly around the school, and perhaps more critical measures such as hospital/rotation site affiliations and the like (which won't impact your experience the first two years, but will be more influential for the match).

Anyway, I think I've said enough. I don't know if you are still waiting, but good luck with everything. I hope you end up in a good place, a place that you will thrive at. :luck:

Last edited:
Yeah I think you pretty much summed up my misconception of Missouri. I was picturing flat farm lands since that's what I remember as a kid driving through Kansas. I've heard the horror stories about the weather and will say that this is my least favorite part about the school. I realize that the students the school puts in front of you don't present a necessarily accurate picture. But I feel that if the school is showing you the "best" of the school and their students present an unhappy image, I have to wonder what are they not showing me? That's the feeling I took away at another school and wasn't thrilled with the sales pitch. I feel with the information that I've gathered that KCUMB is still the better choice of the two. But I will say that I honestly have a hard time from my current position in knowing how to evaluate a school's hospital/rotation sites. I don't know anyone who has rotated at any of the sites listed. How do you research this as a premed?

Yeah I think you pretty much summed up my misconception of Missouri. I was picturing flat farm lands since that's what I remember as a kid driving through Kansas. I've heard the horror stories about the weather and will say that this is my least favorite part about the school.

Yeah, it's amazing how perception changes once you get to experience it first hand. :)

I realize that the students the school puts in front of you don't present a necessarily accurate picture. But I feel that if the school is showing you the "best" of the school and their students present an unhappy image, I have to wonder what are they not showing me? That's the feeling I took away at another school and wasn't thrilled with the sales pitch.

I can see your point of view and I probably had a similar one not long ago. Here's an alternative way of looking at things, perhaps a more jaded one, but nonetheless equally valid: if the medical students around you are looking too happy, I wonder what they are hiding? I wonder if it's real (and what is driving that happiness). What I mean is perhaps some places don't focus so much on marketing, on making themselves "appear" wonderful, while others do. I've been a medical student for two years now and I can tell you while there are good moments to be had, in general, it's not a joyride and not really fun for most people. It has been my experience that medical students are the least happy of the professional students I see around me, so when they look too happy, my index of suspicion goes up. I mean, either there really is something interesting to this place where everything is happy, or there's something suspect.

Focus less on a sales pitch and more on everything else around and behind it. For example, if a beautiful model came over to sell you something, it might influence you about the item being sold, wouldn't it? If the wrapper of a candy were particularly pretty, it might make you think that the candy is particularly sweet or good, wouldn't it? I'm just speaking hypothetically, of course, in generalities. I don't know if this alternative hypothesis is correct, but it's a counterpoint to yours and something perhaps to consider. ;) You see, I think the real key question is, do you think YOU will be happy here? Use an internal reference point.

I feel with the information that I've gathered that KCUMB is still the better choice of the two.

If you think you will be happy here, then I truly hope you end up here. :thumbup:

But I will say that I honestly have a hard time from my current position in knowing how to evaluate a school's hospital/rotation sites. I don't know anyone who has rotated at any of the sites listed. How do you research this as a premed?

Yeah, it's hard to do this, especially when schools don't provide this information overtly. I remember when I interviewed and asked something about rotation sites and nobody knew what to tell me. Here's a start:

http://www.kcumb.edu/occe/affiliated_sites.asp

The above websites lists most of the affiliated rotation sites available for third year core rotations. There are PDF files with information on most of the sites. Keep in mind that you may not get the one you want. During the beginning of second year, you go through a lottery/match process for these sites, where you pick your top three and get one of them, unless you don't match to any sites, which sometimes happens, if you don't pick wisely, and end up scrambling for the left-overs.

Last edited:

I was also pleasantly surprised about KC and the neighborhood around the school. I was fearing those crime stats downtown, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Yeah, the weather can definitely be extreme. There's an old saying here: "If you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes and it'll change." The most surprising thing was the spring/summer rain storms, where it just pours and hails at the same time, causing cars to get all dinged up. There's a whole seasonal business here where they fix hail-damaged cars. If you decide to come here, make sure you live in a place with a carport. Then there is the occasional twister warning...

Presumably they have tornado sirens? I was living South Dakota for a while and we were having horrible storms one summer day. The tornado sirens went off and stupid me didn't realize they were tornado sirens, having never heard them before. There was a lot of hail and a lot of wind and it still didn't occur to me until my boss called (I worked in journalism) to call me into work. LOL

Thanks for all the information and the link to the affiliated sites. I had looked it over before, but I don't know how to tell which sites are good and which aren't as good. I read that there are reviews of the sites in the office. Is that true and if so, do the students have access to those reviews before the lottery?

Like Rapunzeldances, I got a very positive vibe from the school.

Presumably they have tornado sirens? I was living South Dakota for a while and we were having horrible storms one summer day. The tornado sirens went off and stupid me didn't realize they were tornado sirens, having never heard them before. There was a lot of hail and a lot of wind and it still didn't occur to me until my boss called (I worked in journalism) to call me into work. LOL

Yeah, I heard my first tornado siren last year and a twister actually dropped down a few miles from my apartment! The winds were so strong that it tore the roof off of the apartment complex, but that was the extent of it.

Thanks for all the information and the link to the affiliated sites. I had looked it over before, but I don't know how to tell which sites are good and which aren't as good.

It's hard to get a good feel for which sites are good and which are not. You have to look at size (how many beds), location, how busy they are, what level trauma center they are (if you are interested), how many affiliated residency programs they host (and what kinds), call/no call, on-site and off-site rotations, how much they let you get involved for each rotation, and affiliations with major academic centers. Those are some factors. For most, location is the key factor.

I read that there are reviews of the sites in the office. Is that true and if so, do the students have access to those reviews before the lottery?

No, unfortunately this review book is no longer available to students. The administration decided we shouldn't have access to it. To make our decisions, we had to use the PDF files from the website, what we learned from hospital day, and word of mouth.

Like Rapunzeldances, I got a very positive vibe from the school.

I think most everybody does. I certainly did when I was in your place two years ago. I would suggest, as I always do with any school, to look beyond the initial experience. Open the wrapper of the candy, so to speak. Talk to some current second-year students privately about how they feel about the campus, their experiences with it, with faculty, and with the administration. They are basically the "seniors" of the campus and have lived it for two years.

Yeah, I heard my first tornado siren last year and a twister actually dropped down a few miles from my apartment! The winds were so strong that it tore the roof off of the apartment complex, but that was the extent of it.

Wow, how scary! Do the apartment complexes/buildings around KC have basements or some place for residents to go in case of severe weather?

It's hard to get a good feel for which sites are good and which are not. You have to look at size (how many beds), location, how busy they are, what level trauma center they are (if you are interested), how many affiliated residency programs they host (and what kinds), call/no call, on-site and off-site rotations, how much they let you get involved for each rotation, and affiliations with major academic centers. Those are some factors. For most, location is the key factor.

Good to know! New England would have been my first choice location, but since there aren't any New England hospitals in the affiliate list, I'm pretty much open to anywhere in the country. I like new places. I just want a quality third-year education, wherever I end up.

No, unfortunately this review book is no longer available to students. The administration decided we shouldn't have access to it. To make our decisions, we had to use the PDF files from the website, what we learned from hospital day, and word of mouth.

That's too bad. It sounds like it would have been an incredile resource for students.

I think most everybody does. I certainly did when I was in your place two years ago. I would suggest, as I always do with any school, to look beyond the initial experience. Open the wrapper of the candy, so to speak. Talk to some current second-year students privately about how they feel about the campus, their experiences with it, with faculty, and with the administration. They are basically the "seniors" of the campus and have lived it for two years.

I think you're right. Thanks for taking the time to give us some advice!

Yeah thanks again for the advice spicedmanna! Those pdf's are helpful but that review book sounded invaluable. Why did they do away with it? So whatever site you match is where you will be for both third and fourth year or is there a match each year? I heard you could arrange an away rotation yourself at another school for fourth year electives. I was just curious at how much flexibility there is with the clerkship.

About the review book of the sites: I was there when it was available - the information left from former students were one-sided in that only those that were unhappy reported back about the site. There were only negatives in the book and rarely a few positives. It did jade the point of view on the rotations. If there are any major issues with the sites, most of us are nice enough to point it out to the admin so they are aware for future students. They are good about not putting you in the same situations. I am not the happiest at my site, but many of the issues I've had others are having at other sites. It's not as big of an ordeal - your education is what you make of it. If you take the initiative and study enough on your own, you will be trusted to do more.

About the wait list - we had people called up the weekend prior to orientation and one or 2 during orientation week (people didn't show up for their spots). Don't give up yet! And enjoy your summer prior to school starting for any of the programs - all of them are intense and you will appreciate it if you take a break while you can. (and this goes for vacations during the school year - you are given a vacation for a reason - take it and visit with friends and family)

PM me with any questions as I do not check this forum frequently.

Yeah thanks again for the advice spicedmanna!

You're welcome. I just want you guys to make a truly educated choice and hope it will end with you being happy with it. This is a very important decision and you should choose with great care, since it can very much impact your quality of experience for several years.

Those pdf's are helpful but that review book sounded invaluable. Why did they do away with it?

I have no idea. I never got a straight answer from the OCCE. I heard a rumor that they didn't want us to be unnecessarily "biased" by the comments left by previous students. Well, duh, that's why we are reading it. Anyway, the answer is I don't know. It was hard to choose a location because I was going off of vapors.

So whatever site you match is where you will be for both third and fourth year or is there a match each year? I heard you could arrange an away rotation yourself at another school for fourth year electives. I was just curious at how much flexibility there is with the clerkship.

The match is for your third year core rotations (I don't know much about the fourth year, but there's no KCUMB match process for that). You have little choice over what your third year rotations are going to be; they are mostly set for you. A affiliated core site would have all the required rotations for your third year (and probably the required rotations for fourth year, too, but there's only a few of them and you have some choice over it). I believe you have one elective during your third year, which you can do at any hospital that has an agreement with the school (if it doesn't have an existing agreement, you can get one made).

Your fourth year has some requirements (don't know where you do them, but I imagine at your third year core site), but it's very few. The vast majority of rotations during your fourth year are going to be electives which you set up yourself. Within certain limitations, you can do what you want, rotate where you'd like. Many people use these electives to gain more experience with subjects that they like and would like to do their residency in. Also, people use these electives to do rotations in programs they would like to pursue for the match, to get their foot into the door, so to speak.

Last edited:
Wow, how scary! Do the apartment complexes/buildings around KC have basements or some place for residents to go in case of severe weather?

Good question. I don't know. Never thought to look at that aspect. :oops:

Good to know! New England would have been my first choice location, but since there aren't any New England hospitals in the affiliate list, I'm pretty much open to anywhere in the country. I like new places. I just want a quality third-year education, wherever I end up.

Everyone tells me that 3rd and 4th year is what you make of it. Your initiative to learn on your own, counts for a lot. I'm sure where you end up will contribute to the quality of your experience, but probably you will contribute to that equally, as well.

That's too bad. It sounds like it would have been an incredile resource for students.

I don't know if it was or not, but we chose our sites without it. For better or worse, I'm going where I'm going. :)

I think you're right. Thanks for taking the time to give us some advice!

I love to help. If there's anything else I can answer for you, just ask. I'll try to provide an answer for a place for you to find it. I'm pretty busy with board review right now, so I might not be too prompt, though.

You're welcome. I just want you guys to make a truly educated choice and hope it will end with you being happy with it. This is a very important decision and you should choose with great care, since it can very much impact your quality of experience for several years.

I have no idea. I never got a straight answer from the OCCE. I heard a rumor that they didn't want us to be unnecessarily "biased" by the comments left by previous students. Well, duh, that's why we are reading it. Anyway, the answer is I don't know. It was hard to choose a location because I was going off of vapors.

The match is for your third year core rotations (I don't know much about the fourth year, but there's no KCUMB match process for that). You have little choice over what your third year rotations are going to be; they are mostly set for you. A affiliated core site would have all the required rotations for your third year (and probably the required rotations for fourth year, too, but there's only a few of them and you have some choice over it). I believe you have one elective during your third year, which you can do at any hospital that has an agreement with the school (if it doesn't have an existing agreement, you can get one made).

Your fourth year has some requirements (don't know where you do them, but I imagine at your third year core site), but it's very few. The vast majority of rotations during your fourth year are going to be electives which you set up yourself. Within certain limitations, you can do what you want, rotate where you'd like. Many people use these electives to gain more experience with subjects that they like and would like to do their residency in. Also, people use these electives to do rotations in programs they would like to pursue for the match, to get their foot into the door, so to speak.

Maybe I can clear some of this up. I personally never used the books to choose a location - I talked to the people I knew (and trusted their opinions) in the class above me to get some advice.

Your 3rd year does have 1 elective - you can choose whatever you want to do and wherever. They do "encourage" you to do it at your core site, but don't feel obligated. You can use that month to go somewhere closer to family if you want. The rest of your 3rd year is set up by your core site - including the location (if there is more than one hospital) and what month / 4 week block. Even that is different depending on the location - some do 1st to end of month and some do 4 weeks. If you go to the 4 weeks places you will finish in the middle of June, whereas the monthly places, you will end at the end of June.

4th year is open to anything you want it to be. I personally will not be doing any rotations at my own core site. The school once again will "encourage" you to do the required rotations with the core site (cardio, EM, and rural FM). You do have to do these 3 rotations (and sometimes just cardio and EM if you do rural somewhere else) at ONE of the core sites, but then you have over 40 locations to choose from. There are 4 electives in your 4th year, one of which can be used for a study month for step 2. There are 2 sub-i's, which are used for anything with direct pt contact - no rads or path allowed - maybe one or 2 more. Then there is also one month for vacation, which the school encourages you to use in Nov/Dec/Jan for interviews for residency (I know it sounds so far away). The only advice I can give is to set up your early 4th year rotations in Feb of your 3rd year. Spots fill quickly and you may not get to go where you want to go. Some places will tell you to wait to apply until a certain date and others will let you schedule over the phone, while others have extensive applications and even fees to pay. You will have to pay attention to this when the time comes.

Hopefully this helped some of you out.

Oh, and tornadoes are not that scary. Just go hide from them and stay away from windows :)

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for taking so much time to give us your perspective. I know I have a ton of other questions, but I'll save those since I'm feeling under the weather this weekend. I'll be back to bug you soon. :)

Spicedmanna, best of luck on the boards!

Oh, well then we interviewed the same day. I can't remember who all I spoke with there; I was in a group of 3 who walked in late at the start of the day. What were there, about 30 interviewees that day?

On tornadoes, I'm from Missouri, they really aren't that scary. The only thing I hate, and I do hate it, about living here is winter. But on the semi-bright side, Missouri's weather is wacky and there are plenty of days mid-winter in the 60's. Granted, the next day may be in the 20s and the fluctuations can take a toll on one's sinuses.

About the review book of the sites: I was there when it was available - the information left from former students were one-sided in that only those that were unhappy reported back about the site. There were only negatives in the book and rarely a few positives. It did jade the point of view on the rotations. If there are any major issues with the sites, most of us are nice enough to point it out to the admin so they are aware for future students. They are good about not putting you in the same situations. I am not the happiest at my site, but many of the issues I've had others are having at other sites. It's not as big of an ordeal - your education is what you make of it. If you take the initiative and study enough on your own, you will be trusted to do more.

About the wait list - we had people called up the weekend prior to orientation and one or 2 during orientation week (people didn't show up for their spots). Don't give up yet! And enjoy your summer prior to school starting for any of the programs - all of them are intense and you will appreciate it if you take a break while you can. (and this goes for vacations during the school year - you are given a vacation for a reason - take it and visit with friends and family)

PM me with any questions as I do not check this forum frequently.

No questions, just comments.
If you complain about a site, you are already at a disadvantage because you have identified that you are not getting a beneficial medical education. If you want to be proficient entering residency, you will spend elective time somewhere learning what you did not learn at that site. There is also a fine line between complaining, and becoming a problem for the school. The school will get rid of a site to the extent that they have another one to send students or the site gets rid of the school first. Otherwise the site stays. Remember, preceptors are not paid. Also sites vary greatly, some of them have diadactics and some don't. You realize the importance of this in residency when you have to present and participate at case conferences, morning report, etc.
As far as what you can and can not do on rotations, solely at the discretion of your preceptor(s) and site(s), regardless of how much initiative you show.
The sites are "hit-and-miss." It's a lot of money to pay for a random chance to be assigned to a "hit" site.

How are you fellow waitlisters doing? Anyone else nervous about housing should we be called during orientation week? What a way to start school, with all our belongings stuffed in a U-Haul. LOL

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for those of us that are trying to determine which lender to use for federal loans. I am also curious to know how do you go about getting money for your family to live?

How are you fellow waitlisters doing? Anyone else nervous about housing should we be called during orientation week? What a way to start school, with all our belongings stuffed in a U-Haul. LOL

I guess I'm off the waitlist now. Mr. Phipps called me today and offered me a seat in the Bioethics program which guarantees a spot for next year as long as I keep a 3.0. I'm going to KCUMB this year! :)

I guess I'm off the waitlist now. Mr. Phipps called me today and offered me a seat in the Bioethics program which guarantees a spot for next year as long as I keep a 3.0. I'm going to KCUMB this year! :)

Congratulations!!! Great news!

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for those of us that are trying to determine which lender to use for federal loans. I am also curious to know how do you go about getting money for your family to live?

Alright, take a deep breath and see if this makes sense. In the end, I went with Discover. They had the lowest rates of all the lenders I looked at. KCUMB should have sent you a financial aid application, where you can list your expected family living expenses. Once they receive that, your FAFSA, and a promissory note for your Stafford loan, they can let you know how much money you will be disbursed during your first year. At this point, you can apply for GradPlus in addition to the Stafford. You do not need to use the same lender for GradPlus but I will be using Discover for that as well. Students should be hearing back soon about financial aid if they submitted around the first deadline of May 15.

Hang in there, Revilla. I really hope a spot opens up for you soon.:xf:

Hang in there, Revilla. I really hope a spot opens up for you soon.:xf:

Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed too. If it doesn't happen this year, though, I'll have a year to prepare to move and get everything done, so I can't complain. :)

Babysit for classmates. There's always a few people who have a SO at home with their own kids that earn money by watching others' kids.