KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

interviewed 11/30..

ACCEPTED! found out while i was in the airport coming home from an interview in West Virginia at WVSOM..waste of a trip that turned into my flight getting canceled coming home and being stuck in NYC for a night..but the good news of being accepted got me through it!

anyone else from Texas accepted????
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed on 11/30

Accepted, received the letter several days ago. Pumped and looking forward to getting started at KCUMB. 👍

Indiana native here. Any others?
 
yea. interviewed 11/30. accepted; talked to you in the airport.





interviewed 11/30..

ACCEPTED! found out while i was in the airport coming home from an interview in West Virginia at WVSOM..waste of a trip that turned into my flight getting canceled coming home and being stuck in NYC for a night..but the good news of being accepted got me through it!

anyone else from Texas accepted????
 
My new f***** haircut?

YouTube it if you haven't seen it. If you have and just think I'm dumb, then I'm just going to blame it on my excitement from getting accepted.

Oh I get it now, I've seen that before haha just didn't catch the reference.
 
I know one person from 12/10 got an acceptance letter already, did anyone else? Do they send rejection letters at the same time? I haven't gotten anything yet and I am going out of town today until the 4th so I won't be able to check my mail...I have a deposit due by the 7th...do you think they would tell me over the phone since I won't be able to check the mail till the 4th?

Edit: Nevermind...they are already closed for winter break. BOO.
 
Last edited:
interviewed 11/30... first one of the day...interview went alright, but one guy kept cutting my answers off (yes, probably just trying to antagonize me) and then brought up the huge ethics controversies that you're always told to not bring up if at all possible (abortion, capital punishment, etc.). So I was totally at a loss...struggled for a few minutes but ended up giving what I thought was a good answer..wasn't sure if it was enough to make up for the struggle getting to it though.
!! They really do need a bigger envelope for those who get accepted...I almost didn't want to open it! Tried to hold it up to light just to see what the first word was- good/bad? I thought it said "Congratulations!" but I was pretty sure that couldn't be right.
Needless to say I almost yelled in excitement when I opened an ACCEPTANCE letter! 😀 instead, I did a silent celebratory jig :banana: in my kitchen as I am keeping the news a secret to surprise my mom on Christmas!

Very excited about being a part of the 2015 class of KCUMB!
Not that I'm expecting a 'yes,' but anyone else from North Dakota?
 
interviewed 11/30... first one of the day...interview went alright, but one guy kept cutting my answers off (yes, probably just trying to antagonize me) and then brought up the huge ethics controversies that you're always told to not bring up if at all possible (abortion, capital punishment, etc.). So I was totally at a loss...struggled for a few minutes but ended up giving what I thought was a good answer..wasn't sure if it was enough to make up for the struggle getting to it though.
!! They really do need a bigger envelope for those who get accepted...I almost didn't want to open it! Tried to hold it up to light just to see what the first word was- good/bad? I thought it said "Congratulations!" but I was pretty sure that couldn't be right.
Needless to say I almost yelled in excitement when I opened an ACCEPTANCE letter! 😀 instead, I did a silent celebratory jig :banana: in my kitchen as I am keeping the news a secret to surprise my mom on Christmas!

Very excited about being a part of the 2015 class of KCUMB!
Not that I'm expecting a 'yes,' but anyone else from North Dakota?

RIGHT??!?!?!!?

Well congrats dude. One guy in my interview group was actually from ND, but I's ain't.
 
interviewed 11/30... first one of the day...interview went alright, but one guy kept cutting my answers off (yes, probably just trying to antagonize me) and then brought up the huge ethics controversies that you're always told to not bring up if at all possible (abortion, capital punishment, etc.). So I was totally at a loss...struggled for a few minutes but ended up giving what I thought was a good answer..wasn't sure if it was enough to make up for the struggle getting to it though.
!! They really do need a bigger envelope for those who get accepted...I almost didn't want to open it! Tried to hold it up to light just to see what the first word was- good/bad? I thought it said "Congratulations!" but I was pretty sure that couldn't be right.
Needless to say I almost yelled in excitement when I opened an ACCEPTANCE letter! 😀 instead, I did a silent celebratory jig :banana: in my kitchen as I am keeping the news a secret to surprise my mom on Christmas!

Very excited about being a part of the 2015 class of KCUMB!
Not that I'm expecting a 'yes,' but anyone else from North Dakota?

Not from North Dakota, but after getting stuck in Fargo for a whole day earlier this week, I can see why you'd want to leave 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone!! Interviewed 12/10/2010, accepted 12/17/10. Has anyone received their acceptance package yet, its starting to freak me out a little....i know its christmas time but im still a little antsy😳
 
Congrats on the acceptances everyone. Perhaps I'm getting a little antsy, but for those that were part of the recent interview group (11/30, 12/3, 12/10), do you know when the deposit is due?
 
Hi Everyone!! Interviewed 12/10/2010, accepted 12/17/10. Has anyone received their acceptance package yet, its starting to freak me out a little....i know its christmas time but im still a little antsy😳

It will come. Chill out!

What are you talking about exactly? Do you mean the envelope that tells you when your deposit is due?
 
Yeah the acceptance 'package' isn't anything special. The nicest thing we get is the packet from our interview day so don't expect much everyone.
 
for those who already interviewed, which room package did you get at Holiday Inn? How much did you pay per day?

Do you think it's worth renting a car?
 
Im just referring to the packet that they talk about in the acceptance letter. Im not exactly sure what is in that packet but I know that my deposit is due like the 14th or 15th of January sooooooo I was hoping I would get my packet because I cant talk to anyone in the admissions office until the 3rd because the school is closed for break. O yea and UBCvan, my mom and I drove to Kansas City which let us drive around and kind of get a feel for the city which was nice, but if you just want a ride to the interview def take the bus provided by the school🙂
 
for those who already interviewed, which room package did you get at Holiday Inn? How much did you pay per day?

Do you think it's worth renting a car?

You should have some paper work that came with your interview invite that gives you the rates of hotels in the area and modes of transportation.

I'd use supershuttle.com for transportation as it is pretty cheap. Everyone that stayed in the hotel I did used it.
 
Just do the regular rate (around $70ish). Looking back, I would have picked the "Q" (I think it is called that), because it seemed like a cooler hotel, and they give you a complimentary cocktail 🙂.

I rented a car so I could cruise around Kansas City. I had already pretty much decided to go here before my interview so I wanted to make sure I could check out the city and possible areas to live. I booked early so it was only about $25/day--very much worth it. And yes, the Westport area is all it is cracked up to be!


I completely agree. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed at the Q as well. It was a much nicer looking hotel and it is roughly the same rate. I think you need to call to get the good rate, but it's worth it.

The super shuttle is ~$18 per way, so if you are interested in checking out the city, the $25 could be worth it. I just took the super shuttle back to the airport, but made the mistake of taking a cab to the hotel... That hurt the pocket book...
 
Just do the regular rate (around $70ish). Looking back, I would have picked the "Q" (I think it is called that), because it seemed like a cooler hotel, and they give you a complimentary cocktail 🙂.

I rented a car so I could cruise around Kansas City. I had already pretty much decided to go here before my interview so I wanted to make sure I could check out the city and possible areas to live. I booked early so it was only about $25/day--very much worth it. And yes, the Westport area is all it is cracked up to be!


Apparently I'm psychic... Because I quoted what you were going to say hours before you said it... haha.
 
for those who already interviewed, which room package did you get at Holiday Inn? How much did you pay per day?

Do you think it's worth renting a car?

Just do the regular rate (around $70ish). Looking back, I would have picked the "Q" (I think it is called that), because it seemed like a cooler hotel, and they give you a complimentary cocktail 🙂.

I rented a car so I could cruise around Kansas City. I had already pretty much decided to go here before my interview so I wanted to make sure I could check out the city and possible areas to live. I booked early so it was only about $25/day--very much worth it. And yes, the Westport area is all it is cracked up to be!
 
Apparently I'm psychic... Because I quoted what you were going to say hours before you said it... haha.

Wow. Haha, wtf SDN? I mean it was a good comment and all, but I can think of a million things that would be way cooler to use your new-found mind powers on! :laugh:
 
Merry Christmas everyone! I got a couple books: "The DOs" and "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty" as well as a stethoscope for when we're doing our Score One health screenings next year! Can't wait!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Merry Christmas everyone! I got a couple books: "The DOs" and "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty" as well as a stethoscope for when we're doing our Score One health screenings next year! Can't wait!

Nice!! I have both of those and found them awesome resources. I'm still paging through the "Choosing a Medical Specialty" one. It's more of a bathroom read for me right now.

Don't we get our own steth provided by the school next year?

I doubt it. I don't think schools ever give you anything for free, and if they do... you should be very suspicious... haha
 
Can any current students comment on how much time second years get for board prep? Is there a deadline by when you need to take the boards and start rotations and do they give you time off to study?
 
Merry Christmas, everyone!



Nice!! I have both of those and found them awesome resources. I'm still paging through the "Choosing a Medical Specialty" one. It's more of a bathroom read for me right now.



I doubt it. I don't think schools ever give you anything for free, and if they do... you should be very suspicious... haha

I was waiting for you to come in and set the record straight haha 👍
 
Don't we get our own steth provided by the school next year?

I wondered the same question. although I use a cardio II at work, but I asked the family to buy me a master cardio all black by the the time the white coat ceremony comes around so we'll see.
 
Haha. I do what I can. 😉


Oh man, this is sweet! I just set up my PC to run through my TV, so I'm getting SDN in 52" high def. haha. Gotta love it.

Nice, I'd do that too but the TV would be too far from my laptop and so pretty pointless for my set up.

I wondered the same question. although I use a cardio II at work, but I asked the family to buy me a master cardio all black by the the time the white coat ceremony comes around so we'll see.

Is that a Littman? They're supposedly the best, right?
 
Is that a Littman? They're supposedly the best, right?

yeah its a Littman, I honestly doubt it'll make a difference as far as the brand goes as long as its well built but I figured I should get a really good one and stick to it instead of buying a cheapo one and upgrading later.
 
Don't we get our own steth provided by the school next year?

When I interviewed the bookstore lady said that it is better to buy through the bookstore for med equipment because you get a great warranty and they have a great relationship with the rep. So basically if anything goes wrong with that expensive stuff you can get it handled much faster than if you were to have to deal with it yourself.

So the advice I heard from the school was... Wait to buy that stuff until orientation.
 
does the deposit just need to be post-marked by the date given to us, or is that the actual date they need to have the check in their hands??
 
This is the kind of question you definitely want to check with the school on.

haha obviously moose, but I called today and they're out till after new years. I was just throwing it out there to see if it had been asked before and someone knew. Due date is Jan 14th so I've got time. And I'm not the kind of person to wait till the last moment to send in an important check to the top med school of my choice... just curious is all 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To answer the supplies question first...
We received a list of supplies and different packages we could purchase through the bookstore. The stethoscopes we got were the Littmann Cardio III but you can purchase them on your own if you want. I checked compared to an online purchase I saved a lot of money. They will send you that information around May or June.

The Board studying question...
Second years start classes a week earlier than first years so that the first PEP week is 2 weeks long instead of 1 so you can use it to study and review for boards. I believe second years get off on May 6th this year whereas first years get off on May 26th. Many of the students do Doctors in Training (DIC) for board prep which is an online based board review that is 6-weeks long. I know a few friends that go to different medical schools that have used it and were very happy with their scores. I do not believe the school provides a board review course. Just before winter break your 2nd year you will know where you will be your 3rd year and most people should have signed up when and where they are taking boards in the fall period so that they can have that full 6-weeks to study for it. First years are looking into to possible shortening our PEP weeks next year and just ending school earlier next year to free up more time for board studying. The school informs students about what they need to do about these things but it still takes individual initiative to sign up and plan ahead for studying time.
 
haha obviously moose, but I called today and they're out till after new years. I was just throwing it out there to see if it had been asked before and someone knew. Due date is Jan 14th so I've got time. And I'm not the kind of person to wait till the last moment to send in an important check to the top med school of my choice... just curious is all 🙂

It just has to be post marked by then. It should say that explicitly in your acceptance packet thing that comes in the larger envelope.
 
haha obviously moose, but I called today and they're out till after new years. I was just throwing it out there to see if it had been asked before and someone knew. Due date is Jan 14th so I've got time. And I'm not the kind of person to wait till the last moment to send in an important check to the top med school of my choice... just curious is all 🙂


Yeah, I figured as much, but I would still not chance it unless it was in writing. I think BK611 is right though, that it is in the large packet, but if it's not in yours, I would email them to get this back in writing if you are even thinking it will be cutting it close. I couldn't even imagine how awful it would feel to lose a spot over something so small (not that the deposit is small, but you know what I mean. 😉).
 
To those who are accepted, congrats!

Also, if you don't mind I would love to see some of your stats (GPA, MCAT, etc). I am applying next year and would like to get a feel for what the class of '15 looks like. Thanks.