-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So what's the deal with the electronic steth I keep seeing on my banners(no doubt google going big brother on our discussion)? Does it tell us what's wrong with the patient![]()
ROFL...im seeing ads for Littman and Invitrogen RNA preps lol 👍
I'm just going to buy all the best stuff, why skimp when it comes to something like a stethoscope. Don't want to be handicapped because I didn't want to shell out a few more bucks for better equipment. Besides, it's like a drop in the bucket when compared to $300k debt.
I completely agree. I will buy a stethoscope that I can use into my practice. I don't think any of us make enough money to buy cheap things, so it's definitely worth the investment. My question is more on the other exam equipment. I'm not sure I want to make that investment yet, but we'll see as soon as I get the requirements list. I will be a whole lot easier to not have to stress over not having the equipment while prepping for exams if the equipment is required, but I am starting to get frugal in my old age... So, if I can skip some equipment, I will. Many practicing docs will never use anything they bought other than their stethoscope in residency and practice, so we'll see.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its a long read, but definitely worth it.... Objective and subjective review of 12 popular acoustic steth models.
http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review.htm
they didn't test the Mastering Cardiology, but recommended the Cardiology III as the best overall. they did note exceptional clarity and sense of imaging (like the instruments-in-an-orchestra kind) in the Harvey Elite they tested, but docked points for its ribbed diaphragm that is supposedly hard to use on bony patients.
I personally will probably get whatever the school recommends at first, and then pick up a new one up eventually when I realize what syle/brand I like and how good/bad my hearing is.![]()
Thanks for the post. I think I'm going to end up going with the Cardiology III, I think that's what most of the docs I know use and they haven't had any problems. It's a little more money, but buying a second down the road is for suckers!
Thanks for the post. I think I'm going to end up going with the Cardiology III, I think that's what most of the docs I know use and they haven't had any problems. It's a little more money, but buying a second down the road is for suckers!![]()
no prob! lol call me a sucka but i figured i could just use the old one as a backup. im horrible holding onto any one sort of gadget for an extended amount of time, who knows maybe le stethoscope will be no different 😀
Does anyone know anything about how the waitlist moves? I was put on it in December, and if I get in I will definitely go...but I graduated (non-science major) last May, and would still need to take genetics and another 4 credit science class before I matriculate (if I got in). Obviously I would need to take these classes this upcoming semester, but I don't really want to spend $3,000 on classes that I don't need except for if I get into KCUMB. Do you think if I call, they might tell me where I am on the waitlist, or if there is a realistic chance of me getting off it?
Does anyone know anything about how the waitlist moves? I was put on it in December, and if I get in I will definitely go...but I graduated (non-science major) last May, and would still need to take genetics and another 4 credit science class before I matriculate (if I got in). Obviously I would need to take these classes this upcoming semester, but I don't really want to spend $3,000 on classes that I don't need except for if I get into KCUMB. Do you think if I call, they might tell me where I am on the waitlist, or if there is a realistic chance of me getting off it?
I think calling and explaining your situation might get you more of an answer than we don't rank our candidates. If you do call, be sure to let them know that you would only being doing this to attend their school and that you would be happy to to take the classes, but if they don't think there is a chance of you being accepted you could save yourself over 3k.
These kinds of things can always be risky, but I would say if it comes down to ponying up an extra 3k, I would make the call.
Sent in the deposit yesterday
To anyone else who is waitlisted, I was told some discouraging news when I called today. They said that they don't rank the waitlists, and they don't every take anyone off until July (they don't even look at it until then). She also said that they try to space out the interviews/acceptances so that they don't have to take anyone off the waitlist....and she said they were looking pretty good for not having to this year. So it looks like I am officially out 🙁. I am glad I called, so I don't have to waste $3,000. On the bright side, I get to be a doctor! Deposit officially sent in to LMU-DCOM.
To anyone else who is waitlisted, I was told some discouraging news when I called today. They said that they don't rank the waitlists, and they don't every take anyone off until July (they don't even look at it until then). She also said that they try to space out the interviews/acceptances so that they don't have to take anyone off the waitlist....and she said they were looking pretty good for not having to this year. So it looks like I am officially out 🙁. I am glad I called, so I don't have to waste $3,000. On the bright side, I get to be a doctor! Deposit officially sent in to LMU-DCOM.
I'm really sorry to hear that it doesn't seem like it is going to work out for you at KCUMB, but I'm glad to hear that you will be going to medical school!!! Congrats! It's a weird process and I have read some articles as of late that have confirmed my suspicion that a large part of interview success depends on the luck of the draw with the interviewer you are matched with. Some people just don't mesh and that usually doesn't work out well for the applicant.
Best of luck!
Sent in the deposit yesterday
👍 Sending mine in Monday... 😀
Nice!! 👍
I have revised my schedule and I figure you guys might want to check it out so you can be jealous
Biochem
Embryo lab
Music of Jimi Hendrix
Rock Music of the 70s and 80s
Spanish
Music for the Listener
Amazing 😀
Here is my semester so maybe you, nobody, or everybody will be jealous of:
Slowly becoming addicted to video games
Trying (and probably unsuccessfully) to get on the Price is Right
Lighting fireworks off my back porch
Buying 2/3rds of what I see on the home shopping network
Breaking plates with my potato gun
Investing in several get rich/pyramid schemes
Here is my semester so maybe you, nobody, or everybody will be jealous of:
Slowly becoming addicted to video games
Trying (and probably unsuccessfully) to get on the Price is Right
Lighting fireworks off my back porch
Buying 2/3rds of what I see on the home shopping network
Breaking plates with my potato gun
Investing in several get rich/pyramid schemes
So you killed all the birds.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is my semester so maybe you, nobody, or everybody will be jealous of:
Slowly becoming addicted to video games
Trying (and probably unsuccessfully) to get on the Price is Right
Lighting fireworks off my back porch
Buying 2/3rds of what I see on the home shopping network
Breaking plates with my potato gun
Investing in several get rich/pyramid schemes
I'm jealous...
So you killed all the birds.
Haha. I bet he used dynamite to kill the fish as well.
Just saw this quote in CopToEM's sig. Hilarious...
"Report from the front....We have our first anatomy exam in 3 weeks. Still no financial aid funds. Many hot girls in my class. Sports bras no shirts in OMM lab is mandatory. Morale is high." -willen101383
"Report from the front....We have our first anatomy exam in 3 weeks. Still no financial aid funds. Many hot girls in my class. Sports bras no shirts in OMM lab is mandatory. Morale is high." -willen101383
Hi all
First of all I have to say Thanks!! I got an interview invite to KCUMB in mid Nov and up to that point had not visited SDN. This thread really helped me prepare for my interview Dec 10. Anyway, found out just before Xmas that I was accepted- Yeah!!!!! I haven't heard anything else since and just relaized that the 30 day limit for getting my deposit in will be here in a week. Did they send a form that had to be included with the deposit payment or do you just send it in with a letter. My acceptance only had a letter saying "congrats" and that "a package would be sent out in a couple of days". I was going to call them next week and ask, but thought you guys might be able to shed some light.
Also, saw some of you posting on the AZCOM thread as well. I just received an invite from them too, but I really liked KCUMB and some of the stuff on the AZCOM thread worried me. So I think I am going to pass on the the interview.
Thanks
First of all I have to say Thanks!! I got an interview invite to KCUMB in mid Nov and up to that point had not visited SDN. This thread really helped me prepare for my interview Dec 10. Anyway, found out just before Xmas that I was accepted- Yeah!!!!! I haven't heard anything else since and just relaized that the 30 day limit for getting my deposit in will be here in a week. Did they send a form that had to be included with the deposit payment or do you just send it in with a letter. My acceptance only had a letter saying "congrats" and that "a package would be sent out in a couple of days". I was going to call them next week and ask, but thought you guys might be able to shed some light.
Also, saw some of you posting on the AZCOM thread as well. I just received an invite from them too, but I really liked KCUMB and some of the stuff on the AZCOM thread worried me. So I think I am going to pass on the the interview.
Thanks
Hi all
First of all I have to say Thanks!! I got an interview invite to KCUMB in mid Nov and up to that point had not visited SDN. This thread really helped me prepare for my interview Dec 10. Anyway, found out just before Xmas that I was accepted- Yeah!!!!! I haven't heard anything else since and just relaized that the 30 day limit for getting my deposit in will be here in a week. Did they send a form that had to be included with the deposit payment or do you just send it in with a letter. My acceptance only had a letter saying "congrats" and that "a package would be sent out in a couple of days". I was going to call them next week and ask, but thought you guys might be able to shed some light.
Also, saw some of you posting on the AZCOM thread as well. I just received an invite from them too, but I really liked KCUMB and some of the stuff on the AZCOM thread worried me. So I think I am going to pass on the the interview.
Thanks
Really? We usually just post a bunch of shenanigans on in this thread 😉
But seriously, they will send you the "packet" which is just a letter that says, "send us your money, here is a form to help you accomplish this request". If you haven't gotten it yet, you should soon. Or just call them and give them your payment info over the phone.
And yes, you should go to KCUMB over AZCOM. Arizona is way too hot.
I'm jealous...
Haha. I bet he used dynamite to kill the fish as well.
YES! That's the way we fish out here in the west. Maybe Arkansas is catching the vibe.
Everyone should be watching the Chiefs/Ravens playoff game right now. Next year we're all Chiefs fans 😀
Speak for yourself, man. The chiefs have been longtime rivals of my team and I will never jump ship.
Boo Chiefs!!!!! Go Baltimore!
Boo Chiefs!!!!! Go Baltimore!
Speak for yourself, man. The chiefs have been longtime rivals of my team and I will never jump ship.
Boo Chiefs!!!!! Go Baltimore!
You're a Raiders fan 😱
Sent in the deposit yesterday
👍 Sending mine in Monday... 😀
Sending mine in this week. But apparently we're too late - I just double-checked and the letter says the deposit is due January 14, 2010. I guess we were suppose to know last year...
Everyone should be watching the Chiefs/Ravens playoff game right now. Next year we're all Chiefs fans 😀
Seeing as how the closest NFL team I have is the Lions, I'm ok with that.
Really? We usually just post a bunch of shenanigans on in this thread 😉
But seriously, they will send you the "packet" which is just a letter that says, "send us your money, here is a form to help you accomplish this request". If you haven't gotten it yet, you should soon. Or just call them and give them your payment info over the phone.
You can do that? I'd rather fax or call them and get instant confirmation than risk sending a check in the mail.
Sending mine in this week. But apparently we're too late - I just double-checked and the letter says the deposit is due January 14, 2010. I guess we were suppose to know last year...![]()
lol woops 🙄
You can do that? I'd rather fax or call them and get instant confirmation than risk sending a check in the mail.
I am pretty sure you can. When I called to check on things they asked me if I just wanted to make my payment over the phone instead of mailing the form in.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seeing as how the closest NFL team I have is the Lions, I'm ok with that.
Screw football! Git me some KC BBQ and a pint!
Screw football! Git me some KC BBQ and a pint!
So you're buying the first round?
think it's too late to send in the secondary at this point?
3.7 grad gpa (medical sciences) and 31 mcat, but 3.2 ugrad gpa
It's only $50, it's a good school and your grad gpa and mcat are good. Take an extra shift at work and send that secondary in.
So you're buying the first round?
I think that's what he said.
I think that's what he said.
I'm in!
I think that's what he said.
That's one thing about KC, they have a pretty solid beer selection. Beer selection was actually one of my criteria for judging cities, and some failed miserably, but KC had great beer and even better BBQ... I hope this gym on campus is ready by the Fall or I'm going to be in trouble... 😳
That's one thing about KC, they have a pretty solid beer selection. Beer selection was actually one of my criteria for judging cities, and some failed miserably, but KC had great beer and even better BBQ... I hope this gym on campus is ready by the Fall or I'm going to be in trouble... 😳
Okay, Moose, Thunder, Wolverine, and Phil-- BBQ and beers after the white coat ceremony! Anyone else in? KC might be bad on the waistline, but oh so worth it.
Okay, Moose, Thunder, Wolverine, and Phil-- BBQ and beers after the white coat ceremony! Anyone else in? KC might be bad on the waistline, but oh so worth it.
Count me in. Nothing like good draft beer and BBQ
Okay, Moose, Thunder, Wolverine, and Phil-- BBQ and beers after the white coat ceremony! Anyone else in? KC might be bad on the waistline, but oh so worth it.
Fo' Sho! Especially since you're buying!
The Flea Market has some awesome deals. 2 for 1 drinks and 2 for 1 burgers... So, you buy the first, and I'll buy the second.... haha
That's one thing about KC, they have a pretty solid beer selection. Beer selection was actually one of my criteria for judging cities, and some failed miserably, but KC had great beer and even better BBQ... I hope this gym on campus is ready by the Fall or I'm going to be in trouble... 😳
I was told it would be done by February by a student. Also, count me in for drinks!
Okay, Moose, Thunder, Wolverine, and Phil-- BBQ and beers after the white coat ceremony! Anyone else in? KC might be bad on the waistline, but oh so worth it.
Count me in. Nothing like good draft beer and BBQ
Fo' Sho! Especially since you're buying!
The Flea Market has some awesome deals. 2 for 1 drinks and 2 for 1 burgers... So, you buy the first, and I'll buy the second.... haha
I was told it would be done by February by a student. Also, count me in for drinks!
So stoked....SDN crew's gonna be rolling deep at the white coat ceremony. Can't wait for our entourage hitting the bars after 👍
Ps. About the ceremony, have you guys seen pics of our auditorium? It's freaking gorgeous, it's going to be amazing getting coated in there.
So stoked....SDN crew's gonna be rolling deep at the white coat ceremony. Can't wait for our entourage hitting the bars after 👍
Ps. About the ceremony, have you guys seen pics of our auditorium? It's freaking gorgeous, it's going to be amazing getting coated in there.
I like the Flea Market idea. I went in there for a bite before I left--ended up with the BEST chicken panini i've ever experienced.
Do you any of you guys know if they have pictures of the new building/gym? I am really excited about that.
I had an unsolicited hour long conversation with a lady today who told me that the best interior designer in the world has a store in KC. You know, in case any of ya'll are closet decorators.
Okay, Moose, Thunder, Wolverine, and Phil-- BBQ and beers after the white coat ceremony! Anyone else in? KC might be bad on the waistline, but oh so worth it.
Me! After I try to convince my parents to have a few drinks with me of course 👍.
We're talking about the white coat ceremony already??? Daaaaaammmnnn I'm just glad I found a job for the next 7 months before school starts (I've barely thought that far ahead) But guess where all that dinero goes once in school? DRINKS! Loans will take care of the rest of living haha
And can I just say that I LOVE that we're talking about getting drinks already?!? This class is going to be AMAZING!!! Work hard, play hard has always been my motto 😀
And can I just say that I LOVE that we're talking about getting drinks already?!? This class is going to be AMAZING!!! Work hard, play hard has always been my motto 😀
Hi all. Just joined SDN and will be in the class of 2015. 🙂 Wondering if anyone knows details about dress code as I should probably start saving money! We either wear our white coats/dress pants or scrubs all the time, right? No jeans I believe on campus. Correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks.
Also, I am definitely not interested in living in those apartments across the street. Anyone have suggestions about close city/suburb neighborhoods to find a nice place? It will be my boyfriend and I relocating, so we'd like a nice 2 or 2 bedroom house.
Also, I am definitely not interested in living in those apartments across the street. Anyone have suggestions about close city/suburb neighborhoods to find a nice place? It will be my boyfriend and I relocating, so we'd like a nice 2 or 2 bedroom house.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And can I just say that I LOVE that we're talking about getting drinks already?!? This class is going to be AMAZING!!! Work hard, play hard has always been my motto 😀
The adcom is probably reading this thread going
Doh!!😀
The adcom is probably reading this thread goingDoh!!
😀
lol true, but I feel slightly more 'free' online after an acceptance. They know we're gonna celebrate our acceptances in our own special way 😀
I have come across the following comments about KCUMB. can you guys, who've been to the interview, confirm any of these?
1)there's no wireless internet on campus (comment from 2006). how about now? do they have it now?
2)the campus is pretty much quiet after 3-4 PM since no one stays on campus to study. is it true?
now I have 2 question to ask you guys.
1)is it true that some students end up going to other states for rotations? what % of students would move out of KC? why is that? why not stay in KC?
2)is there any way I can get to know who my interviewers are?
THANKS👍
1)there's no wireless internet on campus (comment from 2006). how about now? do they have it now?
2)the campus is pretty much quiet after 3-4 PM since no one stays on campus to study. is it true?
now I have 2 question to ask you guys.
1)is it true that some students end up going to other states for rotations? what % of students would move out of KC? why is that? why not stay in KC?
2)is there any way I can get to know who my interviewers are?
THANKS👍
Finally got an interview invite today! I'm on the fence about going though because of $$.
Should I?? Aahhhh
Should I?? Aahhhh
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 69K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 49K
