KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have come across the following comments about KCUMB. can you guys, who've been to the interview, confirm any of these?

1)there's no wireless internet on campus (comment from 2006). how about now? do they have it now?

2)the campus is pretty much quiet after 3-4 PM since no one stays on campus to study. is it true?

now I have 2 question to ask you guys.

1)is it true that some students end up going to other states for rotations? what % of students would move out of KC? why is that? why not stay in KC?

2)is there any way I can get to know who my interviewers are?

THANKS👍

1) It is wireless now

2) I don't know, this wasn't really discussed, but I got the sense that the neighborhood the school is in isn't the place you want to be walking around alone at in the evening. I think with the new library/student area this will probably change, if it is true.

1a) Usually by choice. I was told if you want to stay in KC and the surrounding area, you can.

2a) No. Although, they do try to match you with interviewers who have similar interests in order to make you feel more comfortable.
 
Hi UBCvan

Mighty Moose answered your questions already but as a fellow Canadian I thought I would say HI. I interviewed in Dec and was accepted.

BTW - On the interview day, the student guides that show you around and answer questions before your actual interview will give you a bit of an overview of your assigned interviewers.
 
2)is there any way I can get to know who my interviewers are?

THANKS👍

When we were waiting for our interviews our student guides showed us who we would be interviewing with and told us things about them - what they teach, how their personality is, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) It is wireless now

2) I don't know, this wasn't really discussed, but I got the sense that the neighborhood the school is in isn't the place you want to be walking around alone at in the evening. I think with the new library/student area this will probably change, if it is true.

1a) Usually by choice. I was told if you want to stay in KC and the surrounding area, you can.

2a) No. Although, they do try to match you with interviewers who have similar interests in order to make you feel more comfortable.

Thanks for clarification 🙂

Hi UBCvan

Mighty Moose answered your questions already but as a fellow Canadian I thought I would say HI. I interviewed in Dec and was accepted.

BTW - On the interview day, the student guides that show you around and answer questions before your actual interview will give you a bit of an overview of your assigned interviewers.

congratz on your acceptance...I'm really excited for my interview...can't wait!!! Definitely check the "DO for Canadians" thread...we all discuss our interviews and acceptances...it's a really cool thread


When we were waiting for our interviews our student guides showed us who we would be interviewing with and told us things about them - what they teach, how their personality is, etc.

Thanks for clarification!!

I am going to stay in kansas city for almost 3 days...can you guys suggest any attractions or any cool place to visit....also is it worth looking for various locations for housing other than the old hospital across the university?

do you have any opinion on pricing and quality of housing in KC or even where to look during my stay?
 
I have come across the following comments about KCUMB. can you guys, who've been to the interview, confirm any of these?

1)there's no wireless internet on campus (comment from 2006). how about now? do they have it now?

2)the campus is pretty much quiet after 3-4 PM since no one stays on campus to study. is it true?

now I have 2 question to ask you guys.

1)is it true that some students end up going to other states for rotations? what % of students would move out of KC? why is that? why not stay in KC?

2)is there any way I can get to know who my interviewers are?

THANKS👍

I am a current student at KCUMB, but in their one-year biosciences master's program, so I can answer general questions about the school.

1) Yep, there's wireless available all over the school. It's secure, so you have to log on.

2) I would agree that the campus gets pretty quiet in the afternoon. This is for multiple reasons I believe:

It is a small school as opposed to other med schools that are on a much larger health-sciences type campus, so there are less students around.

The campus isn't in a great part of town, but the campus itself is pretty safe. There are usually 3 security guards patrolling during the day and then 2 at night. The back of your student ID (which you must wear at all times) has security's number, so you can call the for an escort whenever you want. Even with this security, I do not choose to be on campus after late evening, so I'll go home to finish studying.

I would say that in my Master's program, about 1/3 of the people live in "century towers" which is the super-safe-double-gated apartments across the street from the school, 1/3 live downtown which is about 5 min away and then the remaining 1/3 live in random suburbs throughout KC. Many people simply go home to study instead of remaining on campus.

Also, because of the way campus is designed, there isn't really like an open place full of lots of tables where you see lots of people studying, if that makes sense. (I'm thinking like maybe in a student union or most undergrad libraries). In the library on campus, it's mostly cubicle type desks so you can't really see how many people are there besides you. THere is a building called Smith Hall that is basically 4 floors of just study rooms you can check out. They are all good sized with a big desk and an older PC in each room, with some very large for large groups and include OMM tables and white-boards. Because they are all rooms w/ doors that shut, you never really see other people so even with all the rooms are full, the building never really seems busy. They are building a new library, student center and study rooms so I think those will be good places for more student interaction.

1)is it true that some students end up going to other states for rotations? what % of students would move out of KC? why is that? why not stay in KC?

It is totally optional to leave for rotations, no one makes you leave. Since it's not a state-funded school I would say that less than half of the students are from Kansas or Missouri, the rest are from across the country. Many students simply choose to go back to their home city/state for rotations. Or I know a girl who always knew she wanted to be an ER physician, so during her rotations, she used as many of her electives/selectives she could doing ER rotations all over the country simply for greater exposure to different ERs and populations, instead of staying in the same area.

I know for me personally, I am from Oklahoma and will probably move back there when I am done w/ med school (assuming I get accepted, they don't interview us Master's program kids until April!!). I would want to do my rotations where I hope to get a residency for a better chance of getting accepted to that residency.

I have no idea finding out about your interviewers. I think most schools kind of want to keep who you get a "surprise" so you can't do lots of google searches on them and become a suck-up 😉

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the school.
 
I am a current student at KCUMB, but in their one-year biosciences master's program, so I can answer general questions about the school.

1) Yep, there's wireless available all over the school. It's secure, so you have to log on.

2) I would agree that the campus gets pretty quiet in the afternoon. This is for multiple reasons I believe:

It is a small school as opposed to other med schools that are on a much larger health-sciences type campus, so there are less students around.

The campus isn't in a great part of town, but the campus itself is pretty safe. There are usually 3 security guards patrolling during the day and then 2 at night. The back of your student ID (which you must wear at all times) has security's number, so you can call the for an escort whenever you want. Even with this security, I do not choose to be on campus after late evening, so I'll go home to finish studying.

I would say that in my Master's program, about 1/3 of the people live in "century towers" which is the super-safe-double-gated apartments across the street from the school, 1/3 live downtown which is about 5 min away and then the remaining 1/3 live in random suburbs throughout KC. Many people simply go home to study instead of remaining on campus.

Also, because of the way campus is designed, there isn't really like an open place full of lots of tables where you see lots of people studying, if that makes sense. (I'm thinking like maybe in a student union or most undergrad libraries). In the library on campus, it's mostly cubicle type desks so you can't really see how many people are there besides you. THere is a building called Smith Hall that is basically 4 floors of just study rooms you can check out. They are all good sized with a big desk and an older PC in each room, with some very large for large groups and include OMM tables and white-boards. Because they are all rooms w/ doors that shut, you never really see other people so even with all the rooms are full, the building never really seems busy. They are building a new library, student center and study rooms so I think those will be good places for more student interaction.

1)is it true that some students end up going to other states for rotations? what % of students would move out of KC? why is that? why not stay in KC?

It is totally optional to leave for rotations, no one makes you leave. Since it's not a state-funded school I would say that less than half of the students are from Kansas or Missouri, the rest are from across the country. Many students simply choose to go back to their home city/state for rotations. Or I know a girl who always knew she wanted to be an ER physician, so during her rotations, she used as many of her electives/selectives she could doing ER rotations all over the country simply for greater exposure to different ERs and populations, instead of staying in the same area.

I know for me personally, I am from Oklahoma and will probably move back there when I am done w/ med school (assuming I get accepted, they don't interview us Master's program kids until April!!). I would want to do my rotations where I hope to get a residency for a better chance of getting accepted to that residency.

I have no idea finding out about your interviewers. I think most schools kind of want to keep who you get a "surprise" so you can't do lots of google searches on them and become a suck-up 😉

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the school.

thnks for detailed clarification!!! I also pmed you 😛
 
Hi all. Just joined SDN and will be in the class of 2015. 🙂 Wondering if anyone knows details about dress code as I should probably start saving money! We either wear our white coats/dress pants or scrubs all the time, right? No jeans I believe on campus. Correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks.

Also, I am definitely not interested in living in those apartments across the street. Anyone have suggestions about close city/suburb neighborhoods to find a nice place? It will be my boyfriend and I relocating, so we'd like a nice 2 or 2 bedroom house.
The dress code is technically dress clothes with your white coat or scrubs (top and bottom). That being said, most students have found ways to slightly modify the dress code. Most everyone wears scrubs, but a lot of students just wear the bottoms and a t-shirt. Almost no one wears their white coat unless we are working with the simulators or doing patient interviews. You will find that for the first couple of weeks everyone will follow the dress code to the "t" and then slowly taper off.

As far as living in Century Tower across the street goes, it's not a bad place to live if you are trying save money. It is a flat monthly rate and the only utility you pay depends on how much you use the a/c. If you are certain about living elsewhere, the cheapest places that I know of are up near Gladstone and Platte Woods. I can't remember the names of the complexes, but there are quite a few up there. They are within reasonable driving distance (~15 min) and in much better/safer areas. I also know a few people who have a loft down near the Power and Light district, but I'm not sure what the rent is. When you came for your interview I believe they gave everyone a book w/ rental listings in it. I would take a look at that too. I would personally veer away from areas like Overland Park and the Plaza just because the rent would be a least double of anywhere else. Hope this helps. PM me if you've got any other questions.
 
Just got an acceptance for class of 2015!!!! 😀 And from what I've read.....sounds like it should be a pretty fun class!
 
Just got acceptance letter today!! I interviewed on the 10th. That response time was quicker than I expected, but I also live in KC so that helps with the mail time. I'm so excited!! 🙂
 
Does anyone have any information about the combined MBA programs? I mean when do you take the classes for MBA and is it too hard to handle those classes with DO program.
 
Just got acceptance letter today!! I interviewed on the 10th. That response time was quicker than I expected, but I also live in KC so that helps with the mail time. I'm so excited!! 🙂

congratz!!!😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never understood the point of these types of posts...

Hmmm...I think some people have a case of: Your school is good, but just not quite good enough. But good luck to the rest of you going to the not quite good enough place for me.
 
Hmmm...I think some people have a case of: Your school is good, but just not quite good enough. But good luck to the rest of you going to the not quite good enough place for me.

Apparently, I'd just feel like a dick going and posting that to all the kids whose school I turned down.
 
It could also be the satisfaction for giving up their acceptance so someone else who really wants it can get it...
 
It could also be the satisfaction for giving up their acceptance so someone else who really wants it can get it...

I think the only time I would post something like that would be for dropping an interview and letting people here know so that they can take my spot if they want to, or maybe very late in the app season when people on the waiting list are starting to hear back, but otherwise I wouldn't
 
1)is it true that some students end up going to other states for rotations? what % of students would move out of KC? why is that? why not stay in KC?

It is totally optional to leave for rotations, no one makes you leave. Since it's not a state-funded school I would say that less than half of the students are from Kansas or Missouri, the rest are from across the country. Many students simply choose to go back to their home city/state for rotations. Or I know a girl who always knew she wanted to be an ER physician, so during her rotations, she used as many of her electives/selectives she could doing ER rotations all over the country simply for greater exposure to different ERs and populations, instead of staying in the same area.
1a) Usually by choice. I was told if you want to stay in KC and the surrounding area, you can.

The above is not precisely true. Let me present what I know, having gone through the process. It is more accurate to say you do have some choice over your core rotation site, but you should be aware that it isn't absolute. Nobody overtly makes you choose one site over another, but the rotation match process may present some limits or restrictions on your choices. That is to say, sometime during your second year, if I recall correctly, a match takes place where you list your preferences by rank order and the school attempts to match you up with one of them, typically your first choice, but there is also a lottery component because the number of slots per site is limited and varies per given site. There is a "straw poll" (or preliminary match, so to speak) before the official match, so you can get an idea of how your class is going to choose and the number of spots that are going to be taken up per site. This allows you to choose more intelligently. There are cases where students didn't heed the straw poll and ended up not matching anywhere on the first round and had to pick the left-overs because they ranked only highly popular sites, but this is rare. So you do have choice, but it's limited and you might have to make concessions. That being said, I'd say that the school tries to match you up with your first choice and you will likely get your first choice if you choose wisely. And unless things have changed, you are essentially limited to the listed affiliated core sites, which can be found on the KCUMB website, under OCCE.

There are further restrictions on the Kansas City core rotation site, because there are students in the dual DO/MBA program that are required to stay in Kansas City. They get priority/first dibs on the KC core site because of that and then there is a lottery on the remaining slots. It is likely that accommodations are made for students who must stay local, as well. Therefore, just because you list KC as your first choice in the core site match doesn't mean you will necessarily get it. You may match KC. Your probability will depend on several factors, including how many people are in the DO/MBA program. I've had classmates who wanted KC, but didn't match there and had to go elsewhere. I do not know how many KC slots there are. I imagine it varies from year to year. For my class, we had a lot of DO/MBA students, so it made the KC spots more competitive. There are other classes, I'm sure, where the KC spots were plentiful and everyone who chose it as their first choice got it. It will depend on how many spots there are and how popular it is for your given class.

I don't know. There are some additional things you should know about the KC core site. It's not just one location. If you end up matching in KC, you will end up rotating through a number of locations. You'll might be travelling to different locations monthly during your third year. Some people like this, but others do not, because it can lead to a disjointed experience, with a lack of continuity and familiarity. Other core sites do not have this situation, because for many or most of your core rotations, you are or can be at one hospital. Again, some like this and some do not. It's a preference. However, there are some advantages to doing all or the majority of your core rotations at a site where you can be at one location, more or less, because it may give you an edge for that site when it comes time for the residency match because the site knows you well and you know that site well. Keep in mind I'm just talking about your core rotations, predominately for third year, and not necessarily electives, sub-I's, or interview/audition rotations, etc., during fourth year, which you may want to schedule across different locations of your choosing to aid in the match process. Just something to think about.

This is not a complete answer, but I think it's more accurate. It's a pity that this isn't explained better at the interviews. You can't just go anywhere you dang well want, which can be an impression that some people leave with. If want to do your core rotations in Montana, for example, it's not likely to happen, because I do not believe KCUMB has any core sites there. You are essentially limited to what is on their affiliation list.
 
Last edited:
I think the only time I would post something like that would be for dropping an interview and letting people here know so that they can take my spot if they want to, or maybe very late in the app season when people on the waiting list are starting to hear back, but otherwise I wouldn't

Well we all know that KCUMB is a great school that takes only the goodest of students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2)the campus is pretty much quiet after 3-4 PM since no one stays on campus to study. is it true?

Well, yes, and no, depending on how you define, "quiet." Keep in mind, you are only really talking about around 500 students (1st and 2nd years).

Smith Hall, which contains a limited number (insufficient) of study rooms of various sizes is typically well-used after and between classes (sometimes during as well!), more or less depending on the proximity to exams and whatnot. During exam time, it's packed and it can be hard to find an available room to study in. It's open late into the night, but not past midnight. There is certainly a cohort that enjoys studying there, although I found that as time went on, I liked doing so less and less. Sometimes, tutoring sessions will take place at Smith Hall, as well. There is also a larger lounge area in Smith Hall, with tables, that people use for studying. I don't know if this has changed, but the computers in the study rooms were typically pretty ancient, but sufficient for normal use, such as listening to lectures.

The old library (I have no idea about the new one they are building) also had a limited amount of study space and available computers. It's typically busy in between classes, where folks enjoy checking their email, doing research on the computers, finishing assignments, etc., or just catching up on lectures. I tried studying there a few times, but it's too quiet for me and when you see your classmates, it can lead to chattering.

The admin building also has a small lounge area that some people hang out at to play pool, table tennis, watch some TV, or even study. I rarely went there.

A lot of people hang out at the Anatomy Lab at various times outside of what is scheduled for their tutoring sessions, with their classmates, etc., to review for practicals or just the lessons of the week. It's especially busy around practical time, as one would expect.

The OMT lab is not that well-used in between scheduled sessions, but occasionally, you'll get review or tutoring sessions, and sometimes club events will occur there. It's a nice open space and it has OMT tables.

Many people will study at the CT, which is the apartment (aka dorm) building across the street. There is a study space there located on one of the floors. It's convenient because a large number of students live there and it's open 24 hrs. It has group study rooms, if I recall correctly.

Others will just study off-campus at a variety of locations, including the library at KUMED, especially during board studying months. Some people prefer coffee shops, like Panera.
 
The above is not precisely true. Let me present what I know, having gone through the process. It is more accurate to say you do have some choice over your core rotation site, but you should be aware that it isn't absolute. Nobody overtly makes you choose one site over another, but the rotation match process may present some limits or restrictions on your choices. That is to say, sometime during your second year, if I recall correctly, a match takes place where you list your preferences by rank order and the school attempts to match you up with one of them, typically your first choice, but there is also a lottery component because the number of slots per site is limited and varies per given site. There is a "straw poll" (or preliminary match, so to speak) before the official match, so you can get an idea of how your class is going to choose and the number of spots that are going to be taken up per site. This allows you to choose more intelligently. There are cases where students didn't heed the straw poll and ended up not matching anywhere on the first round and had to pick the left-overs because they ranked only highly popular sites, but this is rare. So you do have choice, but it's limited and you might have to make concessions. That being said, I'd say that the school tries to match you up with your first choice and you will likely get your first choice if you choose wisely. And unless things have changed, you are essentially limited to the listed affiliated core sites, which can be found on the KCUMB website, under OCCE.

There are further restrictions on the Kansas City core rotation site, because there are students in the dual DO/MBA program that are required to stay in Kansas City. They get priority/first dibs on the KC core site because of that and then there is a lottery on the remaining slots. It is likely that accommodations are made for students who must stay local, as well. Therefore, just because you list KC as your first choice in the core site match doesn't mean you will necessarily get it. You may match KC. Your probability will depend on several factors, including how many people are in the DO/MBA program. I've had classmates who wanted KC, but didn't match there and had to go elsewhere. I do not know how many KC slots there are. I imagine it varies from year to year. For my class, we had a lot of DO/MBA students, so it made the KC spots more competitive. There are other classes, I'm sure, where the KC spots were plentiful and everyone who chose it as their first choice got it. It will depend on how many spots there are and how popular it is for your given class.

I don't know. There are some additional things you should know about the KC core site. It's not just one location. If you end up matching in KC, you will end up rotating through a number of locations. You'll might be travelling to different locations monthly during your third year. Some people like this, but others do not, because it can lead to a disjointed experience, with a lack of continuity and familiarity. Other core sites do not have this situation, because for many or most of your core rotations, you are or can be at one hospital. Again, some like this and some do not. It's a preference. However, there are some advantages to doing all or the majority of your core rotations at a site where you can be at one location, more or less, because it may give you an edge for that site when it comes time for the residency match because the site knows you well and you know that site well. Keep in mind I'm just talking about your core rotations, predominately for third year, and not necessarily electives, sub-I's, or interview/audition rotations, etc., during fourth year, which you may want to schedule across different locations of your choosing to aid in the match process. Just something to think about.

This is not a complete answer, but I think it's more accurate. It's a pity that this isn't explained better at the interviews. You can't just go anywhere you dang well want, which can be an impression that some people leave with. If want to do your core rotations in Montana, for example, it's not likely to happen, because I do not believe KCUMB has any core sites there. You are essentially limited to what is on their affiliation list.

Good info. Thanks, man.
 
All you KCUMB black ops players out there, add me on live megathund3r. Let's get this party started a couple months early 😀

Ps moosey, sorry i wasn't on last night, got held over at work and got home way late.
 
Last edited:
All you KCUMB black ops players out there, add me on live megathund3r. Let's get this party started a couple months early 😀

Ps moosey, sorry i wasn't on last night, got held over at work and got home way late.


Haha. No sweat, man. The girlfriend kept me on my toes last night anyway, by coming and going fairly irregularly, so I didn't get a lot of solid playing time in anyway. I should be on tonight before she gets home and after she goes to bed though, so hit me up if you're on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you all don't mind another person to add to the numbers- I'd be up for a drink or two orientation week to celebrate! :hardy: and of course get to know fellow classmates.
very excited to move down to KC!
 
Any SDNers gonna be in KC for the interview next Monday-Tuesday (24-25 Jan)?? I'll be at the Holiday Inn Express in Westport, lets get dinner and/or a drink! 👍 PM me!
 
If you all don't mind another person to add to the numbers- I'd be up for a drink or two orientation week to celebrate! :hardy: and of course get to know fellow classmates.
very excited to move down to KC!

can't wait to meet all you guys too. How are we ever going to make it another 6 months till med school. UG!
 
If you all don't mind another person to add to the numbers- I'd be up for a drink or two orientation week to celebrate! :hardy: and of course get to know fellow classmates.
very excited to move down to KC!

can't wait to meet all you guys too. How are we ever going to make it another 6 months till med school. UG!

The more the merrier! Hopefully you've joined the facebook group (I've only been able to identify a few people to match facebooks to SDN usernames haha)