KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ya, I got accepted at VCOM already and I kind of hope I don't get accepted at KCUMB that way I don't have to pick. 😀
 
i am also trying to decide between dmu and kcumb (assuming i get accepted) if you could pm me also why you chose DMU that would be nice 🙂 i am definitely more leaning towards DMU pre-interview (my interview is next week!!)

Ya, I got accepted at VCOM already and I kind of hope I don't get accepted at KCUMB that way I don't have to pick. 😀

Ahah, congrats on your acceptance!! 😎

I guess I'm hoping you get a KCUMB rejection??? :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone,

I was searching for a thread that talked about the Bioethics Masters program at KCUMB with no luck. So I decide to post my questions here. Has anyone heard anything about the program (positive or negative)? I was told that this program would help me with scholarships and residencies, is this true? Also, do you believe the Bioethics program is a good filler between finishing my undergrad and med school? Thanks for your feedback!
 
Hey Everyone,

I was searching for a thread that talked about the Bioethics Masters program at KCUMB with no luck. So I decide to post my questions here. Has anyone heard anything about the program (positive or negative)? I was told that this program would help me with scholarships and residencies, is this true? Also, do you believe the Bioethics program is a good filler between finishing my undergrad and med school? Thanks for your feedback!

Most people who are in the program enjoy it, but that will make you a very busy student if you take on both the DO and bioethics degree. I would advise you not to do the dual degree unless you are genuinely interested in getting a bioethics degree as the workload of med school is enough to drive you crazy (trust me, I just finished musculoskeletal. I know a bit about nervous breakdowns).
 
How strict is kcumb with their min. requirements? Do you really need at least a 6 in all areas to be considered? i have a cGPA of 3.87 and a sGPA of 3.8. Verbal of 6, ps 8, and bs 9. was hoping that they would reconsider like they said on their website before just not sending me a secondary app.
 
How strict is kcumb with their min. requirements? Do you really need at least a 6 in all areas to be considered? i have a cGPA of 3.87 and a sGPA of 3.8. Verbal of 6, ps 8, and bs 9. was hoping that they would reconsider like they said on their website before just not sending me a secondary app.

Your GPA is pretty solid so they'll probably reconsider you, especially since the 6 is in verbal and not in a science.
 
How strict is kcumb with their min. requirements? Do you really need at least a 6 in all areas to be considered? i have a cGPA of 3.87 and a sGPA of 3.8. Verbal of 6, ps 8, and bs 9. was hoping that they would reconsider like they said on their website before just not sending me a secondary app.

I know of people accepted with a 6 in verbal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ya, I got accepted at VCOM already and I kind of hope I don't get accepted at KCUMB that way I don't have to pick. 😀

Hey Flemon,

Could you PM me what you thought of VCOM and your interview? I'll be there in a few weeks and I LOVE KCUMB so I really want to compare the two (pros/cons, likes/dislikes, good/bad, etc). A little insight would be great! Thanks!

Kenna
 
I'm been looking around, but can't seem to find it...does anyone know how many potential students they interview versus accept?

Maybe current students could comment on the numbers from when they interviewed?
 
I'm been looking around, but can't seem to find it...does anyone know how many potential students they interview versus accept?

Maybe current students could comment on the numbers from when they interviewed?

They accept about 80% of the people they interview.
 
Most importantly though, KCUMB had a couple people say, "good luck" but other than the tour guides, nothing from the students. When I went to the bathroom away from my group at DMU, I had people walk by me and say good luck. People from down the hall would scream, "you'll do awesome," and lunch had tons of students giving us words of encouragement. I really felt the family at DMU. In addition, everyone was studying a study guide another student put on the "file sharing" network they had. It really sold me on the noncompetitive family environment.

I'm sorry the students weren't as friendly at KCUMB. Keep in mind though, the last two weeks was finals week for both first and second years. For first years, it was their first real block of med school classes -- Musculoskeletal with an OMT practical, Anatomy practical, Path practical, and a 200 question written final. For second years, it was the same deal with Neuro finals. Chances are, if you ran into anyone on campus, they were probably freaking out especially first years.

I also didnt like the required classes. People are here say it isnt so bad, but the students told me you could not attend a couple classes a month, so I am not sure who to believe.

There are a couple of required classes sprinkled out through each semester. That's it. The rest of the classes are "required" in name only. Attendance drops pretty fast after the first semester of first year.

But it sounds like your heart is with DMU and there's nothing at all wrong with that. DMU is a solid school. I wish you the best of luck!

EA
MS III
 
hey, thank you. and no not at all here you go

my stats are: cummGPA: 3.6 sgpa: 3.4 mcat: 26P

and im actually interviewing the 18th now haha.. changed the date from the 16th


Congrats! Last friday as of the 14th? What are your stats if you don't mind me asking
 
I'm sorry the students weren't as friendly at KCUMB. Keep in mind though, the last two weeks was finals week for both first and second years. For first years, it was their first real block of med school classes -- Musculoskeletal with an OMT practical, Anatomy practical, Path practical, and a 200 question written final. For second years, it was the same deal with Neuro finals. Chances are, if you ran into anyone on campus, they were probably freaking out especially first years.


EA
MS III

I'd like to echo this. When I interviewed it the students were very friendly and outgoing and wanted to talk to us. However, musculoskeletal is an extremely stressful block and is usually considered the hardest of the year for first years and the same goes for the second years in neuro. Med school brings out the worst in everyone haha.
 
I submitted my secondary, payment, and LOR's (interfolio) to KCUMB on 10/16. What sort of timeline am I looking at to get complete and then interview invite?
 
That's probably why I had to book a hotel. I had asked to stay with a student but no one called to set that up.

I asked to stay with a student host, but nobody called me. I called them about a week ago (my interview is on Monday 10/24), and asked about it. The lady that answered the phone said "If we had a host for you, someone would have called you by now. Book a hotel." I got a hotel and rental car, and then I got an e-mail yesterday from a student saying "Hey, I'm your student host. What time do you want me to pick you up at the airport?" I got a deal on the hotel and car online, and I can't cancel without big cancellation fees.

Needless to say, I was a bit unhappy about the situation. Oh well, such is life.
 
I asked to stay with a student host, but nobody called me. I called them about a week ago (my interview is on Monday 10/24), and asked about it. The lady that answered the phone said "If we had a host for you, someone would have called you by now. Book a hotel." I got a hotel and rental car, and then I got an e-mail yesterday from a student saying "Hey, I'm your student host. What time do you want me to pick you up at the airport?" I got a deal on the hotel and car online, and I can't cancel without big cancellation fees.

Needless to say, I was a bit unhappy about the situation. Oh well, such is life.

At my interview they asked how many stayed with a student host and no one put up their hand. I know the students were busy with exams the day I was there but they should really give you more notice.
 
I submitted my secondary, payment, and LOR's (interfolio) to KCUMB on 10/16. What sort of timeline am I looking at to get complete and then interview invite?

Its going to be different for everyone. Those who applied day one had to wait longer. I applied June 1 and my interview invite was in Aug.
 
:xf: hoping to hear something this week! Was complete 10/17... 26O MCAT, 3.6 GPA... TON of EMT and Patient Tech work.... Come on KCUMB!!
 
I am interviewing here tomorrow and staying at the Q hotel tonight. I was wondering if you guys left your luggage at the hotel or took it with you? They provide a shuttle that takes you to KCUMB and back to the hotel, right? Or does it make more sense to catch a cab/shuttle from KCUMB to the airport directly?
 
I am interviewing here tomorrow and staying at the Q hotel tonight. I was wondering if you guys left your luggage at the hotel or took it with you? They provide a shuttle that takes you to KCUMB and back to the hotel, right? Or does it make more sense to catch a cab/shuttle from KCUMB to the airport directly?

I left my luggage at the hotel front desk, holiday inn express, but a few people simply took it with them to the interview and left it in admissions. The shuttle will take you to and from KCUMB. The admissions staff will get you back before your shuttle back to the airport, as long as your pick-up is after 3ish. I would suggest the Super Shuttle service to get you from the hotel back to the airport they got me to my flight on time and were very nice. It costs about $20 where a cab will be around $60.

PM me if you have any questions I would be glad to help.
 
Very excited to be interviewing Oct 28!
And I'll be staying at the Q if anyone wants to meet up.
Wish you all luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent all of my stuff in last week also. I too am curious how long it will take to hear anything. Will we get an email saying we are complete? This school is one of my top choices, so I hope to hear something soon!
 
I sent all of my stuff in last week also. I too am curious how long it will take to hear anything. Will we get an email saying we are complete? This school is one of my top choices, so I hope to hear something soon!

It typically takes about 2 weeks after submitting secondaries to hear back. I don't remember if you get an email or not, but I would assume so.

Good luck to the interviewees today! Second years should be pretty upbeat, but the first years on campus will probably be grumpy (including myself) :laugh:.
 
Last edited:
hey guys im interviewing on the 28th. just wondering, when they say dress professionally, do they mean wear a tie and suit? ....this would be my first interview, so really not sure lol. I'll be starying at the Q hotel, if anyone wants to meet up 🙂
 
hey guys im interviewing on the 28th. just wondering, when they say dress professionally, do they mean wear a tie and suit? ....this would be my first interview, so really not sure lol. I'll be starying at the Q hotel, if anyone wants to meet up 🙂

Yes. Suit & Tie is most appropriate.
 
Hey everyone!

I see a bunch of us are staying at the Q. I private e-mailed some of you but I figured I would just post it here. I will be there Thursday and Friday night if anyone is interested in doing dinner either nights. I will also be exploring KC, downtown, Power and Light District etc Friday night if anyone wants to accompany me. I want to get a feel for the area so I am definitely going to do some exploring. Let me know if you are interested in joining me. My e-mail is [email protected]. Good luck with the interview and see you Friday! 🙂
 
KCUMB is my number one school and I want to make sure I do well on the interview.How do I prepare for this most important interview.I can't afford to do poorly on this one.Please help.
 
KCUMB is my number one school and I want to make sure I do well on the interview.How do I prepare for this most important interview.I can't afford to do poorly on this one.Please help.

There is a interview question database on this site that was very helpful. Some of the most common questions are:

1. Why DO?
2. Why KCUMB?
3. Some ethical question

However, some interviewers will do something completely off the wall. One couple of interviewers didn't ask the interviewee any questions and made the interviewee ask questions for the whole interview. A friend of mine talked about football for 20 minutes. It's a coin flip, but if you have a personality and you can answer the first two questions (ethical question should be pretty obvious) then you're probably set. It never hurts to go over the questions in the database though.

Relax, they accept about 80% of the people they interview so as long as you don't give a bad answer to their questions (and I mean really bad) you'll probably be set. Getting an interview is the hardest part.
 
KCUMB is my number one school and I want to make sure I do well on the interview.How do I prepare for this most important interview.I can't afford to do poorly on this one.Please help.

There is a interview question database on this site that was very helpful. Some of the most common questions are:

1. Why DO?
2. Why KCUMB?
3. Some ethical question

However, some interviewers will do something completely off the wall. One couple of interviewers didn't ask the interviewee any questions and made the interviewee ask questions for the whole interview. A friend of mine talked about football for 20 minutes. It's a coin flip, but if you have a personality and you can answer the first two questions (ethical question should be pretty obvious) then you're probably set. It never hurts to go over the questions in the database though.

Relax, they accept about 80% of the people they interview so as long as you don't give a bad answer to their questions (and I mean really bad) you'll probably be set. Getting an interview is the hardest part.


yes, the biggest favor you could do yourself is focus on the big questions (understand your own answers mentally, rather than memorizing made up answers) and to be confident/relax....take this from someone who's had 7-8 interviews (over a span of two years) and the only ones that I messed up were ones that I tried too hard for. if anything, make sure to be both confident and respectful, and most importantly to focus on if the school will be a good fit for you, rather than try to tell them what you THINK they want to hear...

just my two cents and g'luck
 
My interview at KCUMB was very laid back and conversational. They just wanted to know what you are all about. Just calm down and answer honestly. I read up on usual questions on the feedback page and the questions where very similar to these. Just understand some ethical issues and be prepared to talk about what YOU think not what you think they want to hear. Good luck. You will have a great day. PM me if you have questions.
 
Oh, forgot! One other common question (although less common than the other three) was describe a problem with modern health care. I highly recommend T. R. Reid's "The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care," regardless of your political views on health care at the moment. This book points out some major downfalls of the current health care system and I rambled for 10 minutes on this subject after reading this book in my interview. If you get this question, make sure to leave politics at the door. If your interview is soon, then this is may not be an option, but I know I had a hell of a lot of free time my senior year of undergrad haha.
 
There is a interview question database on this site that was very helpful. Some of the most common questions are:

1. Why DO?
2. Why KCUMB?
3. Some ethical question

However, some interviewers will do something completely off the wall. One couple of interviewers didn't ask the interviewee any questions and made the interviewee ask questions for the whole interview. A friend of mine talked about football for 20 minutes. It's a coin flip, but if you have a personality and you can answer the first two questions (ethical question should be pretty obvious) then you're probably set. It never hurts to go over the questions in the database though.

Relax, they accept about 80% of the people they interview so as long as you don't give a bad answer to their questions (and I mean really bad) you'll probably be set. Getting an interview is the hardest part.

+1 - mine asked all 3 questions and then mainly just wanted to know more about things that I had mentioned in my application so just be prepared to talk about what you wrote and you should be fine.
 
In order to make arrangements after, can anyone tell me about how long the interview day lasted? Thanks

I was one of the last to interview and I believe I was done at like 3 or 3:30pm, I split a taxi to the airport with another kid and it was like $55 and was a 20 min ride. hope that helps
 
I was one of the last to interview and I believe I was done at like 3 or 3:30pm, I split a taxi to the airport with another kid and it was like $55 and was a 20 min ride. hope that helps

Ya it does thanks, did you bring anything with you to take notes on or anthing throughout the day?
 
Ya it does thanks, did you bring anything with you to take notes on or anthing throughout the day?

I brought a small notebook just in case, but they give you a folder with a notepad and a pen and a bunch of other papers with info so its really not necessary. They really give you anything you need so just bring yourself, some breath mints for after lunch, and wear a suit and you'll be good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad