KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Flemon,
I saw on the thread that you were choosing between KCUMB and VCOM and ultimately chose KCUMB. I am in the same situation right now. I currently go to college in VA and am trying to decide between the two. What were your reasons for ultimately choosing KCUMB over VCOM?
I PMed you. 🙂
 
And do we hv omm lab for two yrs or just the first one? After two yrs and taking comlex step one we r basically done with omm correct???thanks for the info

We have OMM lab for the first two years and there may be some occasional omm dicactics during 3rd year depending on where you do your rotations. You are not completely done with OMM until you finish your last COMLEX exam.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering how many people on here had been accepted so far....and on the acceptance letter (or rather the one they send after the acceptance letter) if other people had 5 weeks to pay the $1000...PM me if anyone has any questions...

Accepted applicants need to make sure payment is received according to the following schedule:
  • those accepted prior to Nov. 15 will have until Dec. 14;
  • those accepted between Nov. 15 and Jan. 14 will have 30 days;
  • those accepted between Jan. 15 and June 14 will have 14 days;
  • those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
 
So finally decided to attend kcumb next year. Now I don't know whether to live in CT or an off campus apt. Students living in ct or have lived in ct, how did u guys like it? Would u recommend it and is it scary if u are walking back n forth from campus alone during the day??? Of course during the night I would call security. Any thoughts would be appreciated
 
I interviewed Dec. 9th and still haven't heard. Hopefully it's only because letters haven't gone out yet.
 
I interviewed Dec. 9th and still haven't heard. Hopefully it's only because letters haven't gone out yet.

Like previously said, just give it a little more time. Some of us heard back in a 7-10 days, but many had to wait a little longer. Just realize that we are getting closer to Christmas so things may run a little slower.
 
So finally decided to attend kcumb next year. Now I don't know whether to live in CT or an off campus apt. Students living in ct or have lived in ct, how did u guys like it? Would u recommend it and is it scary if u are walking back n forth from campus alone during the day??? Of course during the night I would call security. Any thoughts would be appreciated

I'm sure when you interviewed you checked it out and everything, but if you saw it and thought you could spend a year or two there, then you will probably be ok there. I spoke with the med students giving our tour and those that lived there had no problems. I personally didn't tour CT because I am getting married next summer, so we will probably try to get a place 10-15 minutes from campus if possible. If you can handle the sketchy walk to and from campus, you should be fine. The only thing I would worry about would be the walk back from campus at night when you are studying late.
 
So finally decided to attend kcumb next year. Now I don't know whether to live in CT or an off campus apt. Students living in ct or have lived in ct, how did u guys like it? Would u recommend it and is it scary if u are walking back n forth from campus alone during the day??? Of course during the night I would call security. Any thoughts would be appreciated

I live in CT and it is fine. During the day I walk back and forth alone or with others and there have been no issues. KCUMB security is generally hovering somewhere around the intersection that includes both CT and KCUMB. If I go back during the evening I either arrange to walk with others, call security for an escort or drive (short distance but better to be safe). There is a security guard on the premises (generally out in a little house in the parking lot, but he does rounds throughout the building) from 8pm until 7am.

I like it at CT. It is really convenient. The office staff are great. The cardio equipment in the 5th floor "gym" is perfect when you want to get some exercise in. The rent is quite reasonable (includes heat, air, water - you just cover cable, internet and phone if you want them).
 
I interviewed Dec. 9th and still haven't heard. Hopefully it's only because letters haven't gone out yet.

I interviewed on the last day before Christmas last year (Dec 10th). They had the decisions made and all the letters (acceptances, rejections or waiting lists) mailed by the end of the following week which is when they close for Christmas. I received my acceptance letter Christmas Eve. The best Christmas present ever!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

I have officially decided that I am going to KCUMB 👍

Does anybody know if we can pay our matriculation fee now or do we have to wait until they send out the letters for the fee? Also, if we can pay it now, do you think they will send out our packets earlier or will they wait and send them out all at once after everyone has paid?
 
Its official, KCUMB owns me now....writing that $1000 check was rough...Merry Christmas to everyone! Is there a thread for those already accepted?
 
Welcome to the party everyone. We have a Facebook group "KCUMB Class of 2016". Look it up and ask for an invite.
 
Any other waitlisters out there? I haven't read many posts about being waitlisted. Hopefully there aren't too many!

I'm anxiously waiting for the interview season to end so I can find out my rank. I hope there is a bunch of movement this year! 😀
 
Didnt want to cough up the $1,000 so hopefully someone else will get my spot! Good luck to all!
 
So I am needing to take genetics still before matriculating. The only local university that has a class that will work with my schedule is already full. Also, I have heard bad things about UC Berkley's online genetics class.

Two questions. Does anybody know of another online genetics class? Or, do you think it matters if I take it at a CC? Thanks.
 
So I am needing to take genetics still before matriculating. The only local university that has a class that will work with my schedule is already full. Also, I have heard bad things about UC Berkley's online genetics class.

Two questions. Does anybody know of another online genetics class? Or, do you think it matters if I take it at a CC? Thanks.

since you are in, I don't see it mattering much if you take it at a CC.
 
will be withdrawing my acceptance here... REALLY tough decision, loved this school... Good luck to everyone!
 
For those that live in ct how does the gated parking work? Do we have to get out of the car and slide our ID through the reader for the gate to open???? I am just curious cuz I don't want to have to get out of my car during the night, esp in the shady area. How does the parking gate open for the car to pass through? Thanks in advance!
 
CT parking: You have a key fob that you have to wave against a panel you drive up beside so you just have to roll down your window. Besides, at night there is a security guard on duty in a little house at the parking lot entrance and the door opening panel is right outside his little house. Don't worry about this.
 
CT parking: You have a key fob that you have to wave against a panel you drive up beside so you just have to roll down your window. Besides, at night there is a security guard on duty in a little house at the parking lot entrance and the door opening panel is right outside his little house. Don't worry about this.

Wow that makes me feel a lot better! Thanks so much for the ct info muffles! Good luck with the semester!
 
How bout research opportunities at kcumb? I kno for a fact I want to take pt in research here. Can u do it during the school yr or is it only through that summer fellowship that they offer?
 
How bout research opportunities at kcumb? I kno for a fact I want to take pt in research here. Can u do it during the school yr or is it only through that summer fellowship that they offer?

I interviewed with Dr. Zaidi and she told me that there are plenty of research opportunities for willing students. I remember her saying that most students who take on research do a little during the school year and then work on their research full-time during the summer. There are even opportunities for grant writing.
 
So I am needing to take genetics still before matriculating. The only local university that has a class that will work with my schedule is already full. Also, I have heard bad things about UC Berkley's online genetics class.

Two questions. Does anybody know of another online genetics class? Or, do you think it matters if I take it at a CC? Thanks.


I am in the same position as you. All the schools have been closed the past month as well so I haven't been able to even try to register.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thats great to know. I am glad. so there are other research opportunities besides just the summer fellowship! Thanks for the info wmtxbb!
 
Last edited:
also, does anyone know a good place to buy scrubs???? I looked at the KCUMB bookstore website and they are really expensive!
 
do people mostly just carry backpacks on campus and while walking from CT and back? And what time do classes usually end in the evening?
 
Last edited:
do people mostly just carry backpacks on campus and while walking from CT and back? And what time do classes usually end in the evening?
Most people carry back packs - on campus and to and from CT. You will have the opportunity to get a locker in 1 of 3 different buildings (Strickland, Smith or the gym in the Student Center)

Classes go from 8am - noon everyday and then 2-3 days per week you will have afternoon labs or other things which go for 2 or 4 hours (end by 5pm). No evening classes, but sometimes club meetings etc. which are usually from 5 - 7pm.
 
Most people carry back packs - on campus and to and from CT. You will have the opportunity to get a locker in 1 of 3 different buildings (Strickland, Smith or the gym in the Student Center)

Classes go from 8am - noon everyday and then 2-3 days per week you will have afternoon labs or other things which go for 2 or 4 hours (end by 5pm). No evening classes, but sometimes club meetings etc. which are usually from 5 - 7pm.

K thanks for all the info muffles. Really appreciate it!
 
Where did you find out that they rank you? How does that work?

Any other waitlisters out there? I haven't read many posts about being waitlisted. Hopefully there aren't too many!

I'm anxiously waiting for the interview season to end so I can find out my rank. I hope there is a bunch of movement this year! 😀
 
I think as long as they are solid colors it doesn't matter. I.e. no printed scrubs with designs 🙂.....can't wait to get myself some scrubs. Thanks for the info everyone!

What is the dress code? I know I was told this in the interview but don't remember. Is it "business or scrubs"? I'm just wondering how much we will actually need scrubs in the first two years.
 
What is the dress code? I know I was told this in the interview but don't remember. Is it "business or scrubs"? I'm just wondering how much we will actually need scrubs in the first two years.

Dress Code
Students are expected to maintain the highest standards of professional appearance at all times. During years one and two and while on campus, COM students are required to wear scrubs or white coats with professional dress. COB students are also required to wear professional dress. Appropriate professional dress for all KCUMB students includes business slacks with open-collar shirt for men, and business slacks or skirt with professional blouse or sweater for women. Jeans, tank tops, low-cut shirts, short skirts and hats are not permitted. Students must wear professionally appropriate footwear tht meets the safety needs of the environment. Flip-lops, or open-toed shoes are not allowed in laboratory settings.
 
Most people where scrubs every day unless we have something that requires us to wear professional attire (eg. patient interaction / simulation).
 
Univesity of Minnesota TC campus has an online genetics course to the two people who need it, it is self paced, and you'll need a proctor.
 
Where did you find out that they rank you? How does that work?

I was just assuming that there is some sort of "ranking" system for the waitlist. However, I could be wrong. They may choose people off the waitlist that satisfy their diversity criteria (race, sex, geographic location, etc.)

If they do "rank" people, it wouldn't be until they are done with interviews (March I think?). Can anyone else comment on the waitlist procedure?

Last year, they only took 2 from the waitlist so I'm not feeling too confident. But, each year is different...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dress Code
Students are expected to maintain the highest standards of professional appearance at all times. During years one and two and while on campus, COM students are required to wear scrubs or white coats with professional dress. COB students are also required to wear professional dress. Appropriate professional dress for all KCUMB students includes business slacks with open-collar shirt for men, and business slacks or skirt with professional blouse or sweater for women. Jeans, tank tops, low-cut shirts, short skirts and hats are not permitted. Students must wear professionally appropriate footwear tht meets the safety needs of the environment. Flip-lops, or open-toed shoes are not allowed in laboratory settings.

Most people where scrubs every day unless we have something that requires us to wear professional attire (eg. patient interaction / simulation).

Thanks guys! Looks like I am going to have to start working on my wardrobe. Obviously, I don't have any scrubs, and I am pretty limited on by professional attire as well.