KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For omm lab, do all 250 students in the class have it at the same time, or is it split up into sections?
You are split in 4 lab groups (A, B, C, D) and then you have all your labs with your lab group and sometimes (like with OMM and Anatomy) with another lab group. After FOM I think they tend to keep A&B and then C&D together for scheduling ease.
 
You are split in 4 lab groups (A, B, C, D) and then you have all your labs with your lab group and sometimes (like with OMM and Anatomy) with another lab group. After FOM I think they tend to keep A&B and then C&D together for scheduling ease.

Thanks muffles!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I assume the packet contains all of those forms. I called KCUMB this morning and admissions said the packets are sent out in May.
 
I believe we are supposed to receive some information at the end of January. If you go on the KCUMB class of 2016 facebook page, there's some more information posted there.
If I remember correctly we received a packet by mail with immunization stuff in late Jan / early Feb, followed up with an email in mid Feb referencing the packet and providing links to the material on the KCUMB website.
 
I'm not sure biochem is required...genetics is I think but biochem is recommended...don't quote me on that (I've had both)


"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"
 
A bit of online research goes a long way:


  1. Students who have achieved a 23 or higher on the MCAT with no scores lower than a 7 in any section, a 3.25 science GPA and a 3.25 cumulative GPA will be invited to complete a Secondary Application for KCUMB's College of Osteopathic Medicine. Students who fall below the minimum criteria may be evaluated by the Admission Committee for consideration for a Secondary Application as well.

    To register for the MCAT, apply on-line at http://www.aamc.org/mcat. Direct questions via e-mail to [email protected] or call (319) 337-1357. Applicants applying from KCUMB Partners Plan Schools and Universities do not need to take the MCAT Exam.
  2. A baccalaureate degree or commendable completion of at least three-fourths (90 semester hours or 135 term credit hours) of the required credits for a baccalaureate degree, from a regionally accredited college or university. The baccalaureate degree is preferred and preference is given to those candidates who will have earned the degree prior to matriculation in the medical school program.
  3. Satisfactory completion, with a grade of C or higher, of the following college courses, including laboratory work:
    • English Composition and/or Literature: 6 Semester Hours
    • Chemistry: 13 Semester Hours
    • Biochemistry (in addition to 13 hours of chemistry): 3 Semester Hours
    • Physics: 8 Semester Hours
    • Biological Sciences: 12 Semester Hours
    • Genetics (in addition to 12 hours of biological sciences): 3 Semester Hours

    Total: 45 Semester Hours
All of the above 45 semester hours are required to be recorded as “taken” or as “not yet taken/to be completed” (NY) on the Academic Record section of your AACOMAS application (see ACOMAS application instructions). The course name, number and semester in which the prerequisite will be completed must be included.
Applicants are strongly advised to provide evidence of a solid foundation and to demonstrate proficiency in the biological and physical sciences, including anatomy, bacteriology and mathematics. Further, applicants are encouraged to have taken courses in sociology, philosophy, psychology and medical terminology.
The ability to use a personal or network computer has become an integral part of the KCUMB curriculum and is becoming a clinical necessity. Each entering student must have a good working knowledge of common PC use and applications. First-year students are required to own a PC or laptop computer. For additional information, see computer specifications for incoming students.
 
Well played sir...well played...


"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"
 
sorry that this question is a back slide, (congrats to all you with acceptances). I'm wondering if you all think it is too late to submit a secondary to KCUMB. I submitted a primary back in October, and I've been waiting to hear back from MD programs but so far no guaranteed acceptances. Thinking it's about time to consider DO- I love KCUMB. 27S MCAT, 3.7 GPA, great EC's, OOS. I know it's late in the game but I'd still love a chance to interview!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please only apply to osteopathic schools if you embody the ideals that go along with it. An osteopathic school shouldn't be a back-up plan for anyone. It is a huge decision to make and I myself can't see any other way to treat a patient besides the osteopathic way. If your heart is in it I say go for it. If not, there is always next year for allopathic. If you are not sure I would recommend shadowing a DO to make sure it is the right fit for you. Besides, it looks good to have shadowed a DO when applying to a DO school.If you find out you like the OMM and holistic approach then you can be sure that you chose the correct career path as well as strengthen your application.
 
Never said it was a back-up, I just thought it was wise to give first pick to the programs where I qualified for in-state tuition and had significant ties. My heart isn't in MD or DO, it's in medicine. I've shadowed both extensively, have letters from both, and I don't see a need to necessarily pick one over the other besides cost purposes. My question was whether or not it is wise to apply at this point in the cycle. How much of the class has been filled, what are the chances for an interview, etc?
 
Never said it was a back-up, I just thought it was wise to give first pick to the programs where I qualified for in-state tuition and had significant ties. My heart isn't in MD or DO, it's in medicine. I've shadowed both extensively, have letters from both, and I don't see a need to necessarily pick one over the other besides cost purposes. My question was whether or not it is wise to apply at this point in the cycle. How much of the class has been filled, what are the chances for an interview, etc?

its pretty late to submit a secondary anywhere right now, whether it be MD or DO... i'd save the 50 bucks
 
Never said it was a back-up, I just thought it was wise to give first pick to the programs where I qualified for in-state tuition and had significant ties. My heart isn't in MD or DO, it's in medicine. I've shadowed both extensively, have letters from both, and I don't see a need to necessarily pick one over the other besides cost purposes. My question was whether or not it is wise to apply at this point in the cycle. How much of the class has been filled, what are the chances for an interview, etc?

I don't think it would hurt. I completed late last year (March) and still scored a couple of interviews.
 
Please only apply to osteopathic schools if you embody the ideals that go along with it. An osteopathic school shouldn't be a back-up plan for anyone. It is a huge decision to make and I myself can't see any other way to treat a patient besides the osteopathic way. If your heart is in it I say go for it. If not, there is always next year for allopathic. If you are not sure I would recommend shadowing a DO to make sure it is the right fit for you. Besides, it looks good to have shadowed a DO when applying to a DO school.If you find out you like the OMM and holistic approach then you can be sure that you chose the correct career path as well as strengthen your application.
While it is better to apply to an osteopathic school cause thats truly what you want to do, the truth is that for a lot of students, osteopathic schools were their backups. A lot of students Ive noticed are not hard core into osteopathic medicine and some will admit that and some won't. With that said, I think most students especially in my class are grateful to go to KCUMB and are just grateful for the chance to study medicine. Knowing that, osteopathic students from what I've seen personally and heard from some residents (MD and DO) are amongst the headrest workers. I know I always feel like the underdog. I don't think there's anything wrong going DO because you didn't make MD, just don't say that at an interview.
 
While it is better to apply to an osteopathic school cause thats truly what you want to do, the truth is that for a lot of students, osteopathic schools were their backups. A lot of students Ive noticed are not hard core into osteopathic medicine and some will admit that and some won't. With that said, I think most students especially in my class are grateful to go to KCUMB and are just grateful for the chance to study medicine. Knowing that, osteopathic students from what I've seen personally and heard from some residents (MD and DO) are amongst the headrest workers. I know I always feel like the underdog. I don't think there's anything wrong going DO because you didn't make MD, just don't say that at an interview.

While I want to agree with the previous poster (and I only applied to DO programs), I would bet that those who did not get into their desired MD programs and ended up in DO...I would bet that they ended up embracing it because it was their only chance to study medicine (or they didn't embrace it and failed out because they didn't take it seriously). In the end, we are all on the same page as we graduate as DOs.
 
Anyone who plans on enrolling at KCUMB in the fall also plan on doing the MBA in healthcare leadership? Why are doing the MBA? Those in the program, why are you doing the MBA?

I ask because I'm considering it, but wanted to hear other people's thoughts. I have a friend who's a 2nd year at KCUMB, and he's in the dual degree program and thinks it's a good idea. It's an additional $30,000 to the overall cost of medical school. Is the program good for those who want to run their own practice, work in administration for a hospital, work for a governmental or non-governmental health organization, etc?
 
I was on the waitlist. Interviewed 9/19 and just received an acceptance letter yesterday in the mail!!!

Congrats!!!

Were you waitlisted this year? I thought waitlist movement wouldn't happen until after all interviews were finished. Let me know as I am currently on the waitlist and would love to hear good news!
 
I was on the waitlist too. Thought it was essentially a rejection because it was so early in the cycle, but I got a letter yesterday saying "a seat has opened up..." I was completely taken off guard. I saw online that being accepted yesterday (1/30) would mean I have 14 days to pay my deposit? The letter said nothing about a deposit or anything. How long does it take to receive what I'm assuming is a packet of information? Does the 14 days begin from when I got the acceptance letter or from when I get the information about the deposit, etc.?
 
I was on the waitlist too. Thought it was essentially a rejection because it was so early in the cycle, but I got a letter yesterday saying "a seat has opened up..." I was completely taken off guard. I saw online that being accepted yesterday (1/30) would mean I have 14 days to pay my deposit? The letter said nothing about a deposit or anything. How long does it take to receive what I'm assuming is a packet of information? Does the 14 days begin from when I got the acceptance letter or from when I get the information about the deposit, etc.?

Assume it begins from the day you got the acceptance letter, and give them a call to make sure...better safe than sorry. Also you can pay on the phone with a credit card if you want...
 
Congrats!!!

Were you waitlisted this year? I thought waitlist movement wouldn't happen until after all interviews were finished. Let me know as I am currently on the waitlist and would love to hear good news!

Yep I was waitlisted this year in sept. But got a letter that said a seat has become available and was beyond excited! I had a horrible experience with the interview but other than that I loved the school. So I will definitely be sending off that check to save my seat. I got my acceptance Jan 25 and have to have my check in by Feb 15 and then another 1000$ by March 15.
 
Beware if you submit LOR to this school. I submitted mine and the admission staff lost mine and then some how happened to find it when I called them over the phone and emailed them a copy of the interfolio shipment. They then told sorry for your bad luck your letter didn't get looked at due to them losing it. Admission staff was very rude over the phone and refused to refund application fee and blamed me for them losing my LOR which they found withing 2 min of me proving I sent it to them.
 
I am applying to the dual DO/MBA program. Do you know when we are allowed to apply? I'm afraid I jumped the gun. I submitted the online application to Rockhurst a few nights ago. I hope it wasn't too early to submit, I know it's not until summer after the first year that MBA classes begin.

Why I am doing it? In my opinion the only way to minimize cost and provide care to hundreds of thousands of more Americans is if healthcare professionals start working together as a team. I think one of the major obstacles we face is the push for insurance companies, executives, physicians to communicate and solve problems together, yet this is a foreign concept to a system that has been accustomed to fragmentation. Just look at all the paper work physicians have to fill out these days. I don't know what it used to be like, but according to the frustrated physicians I've shadowed this has not always been the case.The future mandates diversified physicians. Business comes with a unique skills set that is different than that which we obtain in medical school.

Aside from improving the current system, personally, it will potentially allow me to take on more responsibilities in a hospital or other healthcare setting. Ideally, I will practice medicine while being involved in hospital administration.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You don't apply until Oct/Nov of your first term of medical school. They have info sessions etc set up for students in the first couple of months. Classes start in Jan of your first year.
 
My interview at KCUMB is next Friday. (2/10). I had a couple of questions.
1). How is the interview??
2). My MCAT score 26. Is that too low for KCUMB??
 
My interview at KCUMB is next Friday. (2/10). I had a couple of questions.
1). How is the interview??
2). My MCAT score 26. Is that too low for KCUMB??

Interviews are different for everyone based on who you have. It's good to have a reason for wanting to be a DO as that nearly always comes up. Why do you want to be at KCUMB comes up often as well. Slightly less common questions are related to modern healthcare and ethics.

If you got an interview your grades don't matter. This means they believe you can succeed academically, but they want to see if your personality is a good match.
 
its pretty late to submit a secondary anywhere right now, whether it be MD or DO... i'd save the 50 bucks

I don't agree with this. Your chances are slim, but it's just $50. Worst case scenario you don't get an interview and have to drink Keystone one night instead of Crown.
 
Last edited:
1) Just know your application inside and out, and why your life has gone the way it has. Definitely know why DO, why KCUMB.

2) If you have been given an interview, you have made the cut on paper. Just make sure you present yourself professionally and sincere in person.


My interview at KCUMB is next Friday. (2/10). I had a couple of questions.
1). How is the interview??
2). My MCAT score 26. Is that too low for KCUMB??
 
I was accepted with a 26. Just be yourself during the interview and answer questions truthfully. My two interviewers were the most friendly and engaging I have ever encountered. After my acceptance I turned down interviews from DMU and UMDNJ-SOM, KCUMB in my opinion is a superior school. Good luck to you!
 
Anyone know when we are supposed to get additional information (like a packet) for the upcoming year?


"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"
 
Yep I was waitlisted this year in sept. But got a letter that said a seat has become available and was beyond excited! I had a horrible experience with the interview but other than that I loved the school. So I will definitely be sending off that check to save my seat. I got my acceptance Jan 25 and have to have my check in by Feb 15 and then another 1000$ by March 15.

Glad to know someone else ran into this! The admissions staff messed up my secondary and payment info. Only school with these problems, makes u wonder
 
Please only apply to osteopathic schools if you embody the ideals that go along with it. An osteopathic school shouldn't be a back-up plan for anyone. It is a huge decision to make and I myself can't see any other way to treat a patient besides the osteopathic way. If your heart is in it I say go for it. If not, there is always next year for allopathic. If you are not sure I would recommend shadowing a DO to make sure it is the right fit for you. Besides, it looks good to have shadowed a DO when applying to a DO school.If you find out you like the OMM and holistic approach then you can be sure that you chose the correct career path as well as strengthen your application.

I respectfully disagree, I shadowed md and do and applied to both, and interviewed at both, at the end of the day it's about helping people, healing, learning, community, all the things that md and do both embrace. I'm going to the school which fits my personality best during interviews, not cuz one of them has a 5% difference in curriculum using omm.
 
Had my interview on Friday. My interview was okay. They threw some tough ethic questions, but gave it my best. Really looking forward in getting into this school! =)
 
Had my interview on Friday. My interview was okay. They threw some tough ethic questions, but gave it my best. Really looking forward in getting into this school! =)
Any chance you can disclose what sort of questions you were asked?? Im interviewing on the 29th and am especially interested in those possible ethical questions. Thx

P.S. GOOD LUCK
 
@ Creativehealing

Just be familar with three potential subject. Develop a stance on each subject matter and give a logical reasonging.

1. Healthcare Reform
2. Abortion
3. Euthansia
 
Last edited:
Does anybody knows how long it takes as when I will get notification from school about my acceptance? Also, do they notify through letter mail or e-mail?
 
the adcom is meeting this thursday and they will mail out acceptance letters. So you should have it by next week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interviewing at KCUMB this week, anyone know approximately how many seats are still left? I really like the look of this school and hope I'm not interviewing for a waitlist spot!
 
Just got an interview invite this weekend post "all our spots are filled email,
I'm pretty stoked, going in 2/27. Anyone else interview at WesternU-NW or PacificNW, and can offer a comparison and opinion in experiences?
 
Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!
 
Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

👍

Great job StudentDO2016. That is a fantastic spread sheet! Instant sticky?