KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an interview invite this weekend post "all our spots are filled email,
I'm pretty stoked, going in 2/27. Anyone else interview at WesternU-NW or PacificNW, and can offer a comparison and opinion in experiences?

Do you or does anyone know how full the seats are as of right now?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you or does anyone know how full the seats are as of right now?

Yeah I'm curious about this too. If no one here knows I will try to find out at my interview on Friday and let you know when I get back.

Was the class already full?

"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty stoked, going in 2/27. Anyone else interview at WesternU-NW or PacificNW, and can offer a comparison and opinion in experiences?

Did KCUMB send u that email saying "all our spots are filled"??? or where did you see that at?

Did KCUMB send u that email saying "all our spots are filled"??? or where did you see that at?

I'm interviewing Friday and was never told the class was full. It seems early to be full, most of the schools I've interviewed at in the past two weeks were about half to two thirds full and they have much smaller class sizes than KCUMB. Also KCUMB has accepted a few people off the waitlist, I doubt they would do that if the class was full and there were still a bunch of interview days left to go.

::fingers crossed that there is still room for us!

Like I said, if no one knows I'll ask on Friday and update.

Last edited:

I interviewed and was accepted to COMP-NW, Lebanon OR. The school itself is good: Strong, systems-based curriculum, attentive faculty and administration staff, and a very accepting community. The interview day was great as well. I chose KCUMB however, due to the amenities (printed lecture slides, some board prep subscriptions (I think), great curriculum, great city, and strong foundation in research. I also enjoyed the interview day and interactions with everyone I came in contact with. One of my requirements for a school is to have some type of community based clinic participation, which for KCUMB is Score 1 for Health. COMP-NW currently does not have an affiliated community clinic, but a friend of mine tells me this is in the works.

Good luck

I interviewed and was accepted to COMP-NW, Lebanon OR. The school itself is good: Strong, systems-based curriculum, attentive faculty and administration staff, and a very accepting community. The interview day was great as well. I chose KCUMB however, due to the amenities (printed lecture slides, some board prep subscriptions (I think), great curriculum, great city, and strong foundation in research. I also enjoyed the interview day and interactions with everyone I came in contact with. One of my requirements for a school is to have some type of community based clinic participation, which for KCUMB is Score 1 for Health. COMP-NW currently does not have an affiliated community clinic, but a friend of mine tells me this is in the works.

Good luck

unfortunately there are no board prep materials included in tuition :thumbdown:

Ya I was not sure about the subscriptions. I just recall the student tour guide mentioning a question bank subscription...

Do y'all think KCUMB will be supportive and encouraging for students wishing to take the USMLE?

"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"

Do y'all think KCUMB will be supportive and encouraging for students wishing to take the USMLE?

seeing that on average more than 40% go to allopathic residencies, i don't see them discriminating their students.

seeing that on average more than 40% go to allopathic residencies, i don't see them discriminating their students.

According to KCUMB website's match list for 2011 149/227 matched into ACGME residencies so actually quite a bit more than 40%

They're very supportive and realistic about students taking the USMLE (at least thus far) - honestly, I don't get how you can not be, you'd be knowingly handicapping your students. Anyway, we have a handful of MD's on faculty and on more than one occasion they've lectured toward the USMLE with regard to board style questions next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the matriculation fee due March 15th is binding? If I get an acceptance from another school, I can still release my seat after then, right? Thank you!

yes, but you will lose the $1000

FYI I interviewed today, still between 75 and 100 seats open. Really liked the school and hoping I end up snagging one of them.

Are they having issues filling them? I've heard on here people have been on the waitlist already....

I don't think so, but they must have a surplus if they've already accepted wait listers. I think they interview through April if spots remain. A first year student I talked to said a lot of people in his class were accepted around this time last year and that this is not late in the cycle.

First off Congratulations! I am a MSI at KCUMB and a student ambassador, so if anyone has any questions feel free to email me at [email protected] or just post her and I'll try to respond in a timely manner. Make sure to enjoy your time before school starts because when it does your life will change :)

By the way if you are married or plan on living with someone who is not a student, check out the courthouse lofts in downtown. I live about 6 minutes from school and it is a fabulous place to live. They are income based housing, so you have to qualify but the rent is between $450-$800. I pay $745 for a 2Bed 2Bath and washer/dryer is in unit!

We start renal in April (10th I think). Up next is GI. Lots of micro and pharm, or so I've heard.

Yup! April sounds about right. It will be here before we know it. The sections go by quick!

I believe the class is not filled till the end of the interviews. Every interview group has students accepted, wait listed, and denied. As time goes on some students are pulled from the wait list to fill spots as well. Of course this is just what I believe and realize that some changes have been made this year in the interview process at KCUMB.

Hey anyone planning on doing an abroad volunteer program this summer before school starts? I was just browsing around online at some medical volunteer opportunities in Malawi and wanted to know if any of you guys were planning on doing something? I think it could be an awesome opportunity to travel and do some good before we all bury ourselves in medical school.

Got my letter today (interview 2/8)! Pretty excited - my favorite program yet.

yup, interviewed 2/6. rejected today :(

Keep your head up man, I got waitlisted at my state school last year and improved my application and got straight up rejected from them this year (which makes no sense) and then got accepted at KCUMB....so don't give up, if this is what you want to do...

I got other options, just had my heart set on here. Everything happens for a reason. Closer to family now

I got other options, just had my heart set on here. Everything happens for a reason. Closer to family now

Sorry to hear that, definitely a bummer. If you don't mind me asking, how did you feel your interview went?

I got my acceptance letter! Interviewed on 2/10. I really enjoyed my time at this school. For those who are waitlisted or were rejected... DON'T GIVE UP! I got waitlisted at TCOM and rejected at DMU, but I still got accepted in the end. So, keep your head up and stay strong. Your hard work will pay off in the end! =)

Just got accepted here! Soooo excited! Love this school! :D

Hey guys,

First time posting on KCUMB thread. Just got an interview invite today after receiving an e-mail about two weeks ago said that all of their interview spots were full. Kind of confusing but I can't complain at all! Looking forward to interviewing in March.

Hey guys,

First time posting on KCUMB thread. Just got an interview invite today after receiving an e-mail about two weeks ago said that all of their interview spots were full. Kind of confusing but I can't complain at all! Looking forward to interviewing in March.

I've seen some other people post this. They may have an interview wait list since its later in the cycle and alot of qualified applicants may already have an acceptance and end up cancelling their interviews. Good luck!

Also got an II today after receiving the same e-mail that interview spots were full. Yes, confusing, but so glad! I feared I had applied too late, I'm excited to have the chance to interview. I signed up for 3/2, and would appreciate any advice about interview day! I've interviewed at 3 MD programs, no acceptances yet. I'm wondering how DO interviews differ, if they even differ much at all?

Also got an II today after receiving the same e-mail that interview spots were full. Yes, confusing, but so glad! I feared I had applied too late, I'm excited to have the chance to interview. I signed up for 3/2, and would appreciate any advice about interview day! I've interviewed at 3 MD programs, no acceptances yet. I'm wondering how DO interviews differ, if they even differ much at all?

The interview is fairly laid back, read through this thread or look at interview feedback for specific questions but generally know about the school, why medicine, why DO, be prepared to discuss ethics, healthcare, current events, etc.

The most important thing is to make sure you can articulate why you want to be a DO. My interviewers made it pretty clear that the school did not like the fact that some students just wanted to become a doctor and not specifically a DO. Obviously tell the truth if they ask whether you applied MD but make sure you are prepared to talk about your choices and distinguish between the two.

Good luck!

Anyone know what the grading system is like for KCUMB? As in is it pass/fail?

Hello, does anyone know how admission deferrals are granted? Students who had deferred previously, please shed some light. Thanks! :)

Anyone else interviewing 2/27, that either wants to split a cost of a rental car, and/or wants to grab drinks sunday night before hand? pm me

Hello, does anyone know how admission deferrals are granted? Students who had deferred previously, please shed some light. Thanks! :)
The MSII that posted the scale is correct. But one thing to keep in mind is that we are also somewhat of a pass/fail school. You must receive a 70% or higher to pass and continue on to the next section without having to remediate. The nice thing is that at the end of the section the class average is moved up to an 85% if it falls below that. Therefore, you must obtain a 70% after the class adjustment has been made, or you will be required to remediate. You will also not pass the section if you fail any of the lab practical (anatomy and pathology). Hope this helps! You will learn more about grading during orientation week!

Anyone know if the admissions committee met this past week? Wondering if the groups that interviewed the week of the 13-17th can expect decisions soon.

I'm interviewing on Wednesday, so for anyone interviewing tomorrow, I'd love to hear some feedback about how it went! Thanks

To people who have been accepted for c/o 2016 ... do any of you mind sharing your stats? (GPA/MCAT)? Thanks a lot!