KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was going to just try to find a hotel, rental car and plane ticket all in one package online. Or at least the plane and rental car and see if I have any points I can redeem at a Best Western.

Its not going to be cheap. I just hope that we aren't interviewing for the wait-list as some post earlier said, not many people got off the wait list last year.

Call and ask, they will tell you if you are interviewing for waitlist and give you an idea of how many spots are open.

If there are spots open you should know that KCUMB pre screens heavily and accepts 80-90% if those who interview. I have yet to talk to anyone from my interview group who didn't get accepted. This might change later in the cycle but you probly have a better shot here than other schools.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Call and ask, they will tell you if you are interviewing for waitlist and give you an idea of how many spots are open.

If there are spots open you should know that KCUMB pre screens heavily and accepts 80-90% if those who interview. I have yet to talk to anyone from my interview group who didn't get accepted. This might change later in the cycle but you probly have a better shot here than other schools.

Good luck!

Those numbers sound great. Actually the DO that I have shadowed for some time graduated from here a while back and loved it. Nothing but positive comments.

So total cost of attending for first year is approximately 65,539. If you can live frugally enough then you may be able to keep it closer to your 55k figure. KCUMB estimates living expenses of 1,100 per month for students with a rent free living situation..i.e parents or with a partner who pays for them. Health insurance is extra and we pay- according to the packet it looks like its can cost up to $125/month. You also have to add loan fees if you're going to take out loans.

Health insurance costs whatever it costs for you. The $125 figure is the max that you can borrow on top of the cost of attendance. My insurance is $98/mo through Blue Cross KC, so I was given a "bonus" of ~$600 or so in August and January, when the regular loans were disbursed. There will be an insurance representative present during one of your Orientation days so you can talk to them if you don't have it. It was BY FAR the cheapest route because I looked for plans online before school started and nothing was even close to this and I didn't even get the cheapest plan through BCKC.

Members don't see this ad :)
So..... the $50 was worth it! Submitted my secondary 1 month ago after wondering if it was already too late. 2 weeks later got an interview invite, 2 weeks later....Accepted!! Loving the quick turnaround love from DO, why didn't I think to apply here last year? Loved this school, so happy to have a spot. Now if I could just find 250k.

So..... the $50 was worth it! Submitted my secondary 1 month ago after wondering if it was already too late. 2 weeks later got an interview invite, 2 weeks later....Accepted!! Loving the quick turnaround love from DO, why didn't I think to apply here last year? Loved this school, so happy to have a spot. Now if I could just find 250k.

Congrats!!! I'm headed there now for an interview and I'm very excited. Any suggestions or things to know prior to interviewing?

Congrats!!! I'm headed there now for an interview and I'm very excited. Any suggestions or things to know prior to interviewing?

I know everyone always says this, but just relax. I was anxious and nervous when I went, after having 3 pretty intense MD interviews and not feeling particularly educated on the science of osteopathy. Upon arriving, I was told by the MS1 students that KCUMB screens for applicants they want, and that almost 90% of those interviewed are also given acceptance. For the first time in my life, I felt like I was actually interviewing the school as well as them interviewing me, and they were trying just as hard to impress me as I was them. I even got complimented by my interviewers on my accomplishments (never thought I'd hear that from interviewers, usually I feel like they capitalize on you weaknesses.) So just be yourself, they already want to give you a spot since you are there, and as long as you can hold a conversation and be sincere I think you will find the same comfort I did. They will ask ethical questions, but there is no pressure riding on them. Mine was literally "pick any ethical issue from current events and pick a side you would take on it." It was almost harder to pick an issue than it was to pick a side :). Enjoy the day and get to know the people in your group, they are likely to be your future classmates and colleagues! Suerte!

Thank you very much for this comprehensive and insightful, as well as prompt response. I have only been interested in osteopathic medical schools and have had a few interviews already. While some tend point out weaknesses, my belief is that the wish to see how the interviewee has dealt with them and whether they own up to it or instead make excuses. I have a ton of EC's, great LOR's but my MCAT IS decent, not amazing and years ago I had a few less than stellar grades. I think DO programs want a more rounded student who will not only have the technical skill to perform as a doctor but also have the ability to handle a variety of situations and communicate effectively with colleagues and patients. Have you made any decisions as to where you wish to go? Feel free to PM so the SDN world doesn't hear.

Last edited:
MaiyMac- was your acceptance by snail mail? We interviewed the same day on 3/2

Yeah I'd love to know...anyone interview recently that knows this? I've had two interviews (late jan and mid feb) and I was accepted pending a seat to both - it seems like kcumb is still straight up accepting students tho which would be great!

Does anyone know if those who interviewed on Feb 29th have received acceptances yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received letter in the mail today for my acceptance!!!!! I interviewed 2/27, if anyone has any questions at all about the interview, PM me.

two questions -
- Did any of you guys send a thank you letter to the committee after you guys interviewed?
- This is a general question (my intent is not to start any DO vs MD debate) but just want to know my own knowledge - I know that some super competitive residencies are easier to acquire with MD as compared to DO. But my question is, what about fellowships? Such as GI or Cardio or Allergy/Immuno ... Do so fellowship directors do the MD/DO bias as well, as some residency program directors do?

two questions -
- Did any of you guys send a thank you letter to the committee after you guys interviewed?
- This is a general question (my intent is not to start any DO vs MD debate) but just want to know my own knowledge - I know that some super competitive residencies are easier to acquire with MD as compared to DO. But my question is, what about fellowships? Such as GI or Cardio or Allergy/Immuno ... Do so fellowship directors do the MD/DO bias as well, as some residency program directors do?

I sent a letter of intent to the DOA, basically just said thanks for the opportunity to interview, I loved the school and will attend if accepted. No clue about the fellowship question.

How do you get in on that KCUMB class of 2016 group? Do you have to be invited by someone?

Just request to be added to it...not sure how they verify people but I'm guessing that not all of the 120 are in our class, some may be class of 2015, etc.

Has anyone had any luck with acceptances/denial? I interviewed on 3/2 so I should be getting the news here any day now and was wondering if anyone from close to my date has heard anything?

Got my acceptance yesterday in the mail!! Interviewed on 2/29!! So stoked to finally have a letter!

Well, I interviewed today. I like the place but I dont think I will get in. I had 2 points where I rambled. I really wish I couldve worded one of my answers better. I got the answer but it just didnt sound as pretty as I normally give it.

I guess i'll know in 3 weeks

Does anyone know if KCUMB has recently accepted people from the waitlist?

I also interviewed today, and loved this school. Great curriculum, location, and great atmosphere. I should also mention that the campus is beautiful. I think they definitely like to ask thought provoking questions, and I'm really hopeful for an acceptance. It's going to be a long wait.

Well, I interviewed today. I like the place but I dont think I will get in. I had 2 points where I rambled. I really wish I couldve worded one of my answers better. I got the answer but it just didnt sound as pretty as I normally give it.

I'm sorry, I hope you'll get in. I kind of rambled too during my interview and a couple of the sentences didn't make any sense due to poor grammar lol, but I ended up getting in :thumbup:

Does anyone know if KCUMB has recently accepted people from the waitlist?
I think a few pages back someone was wait-listed and pulled off a week later. Could be wrong but you can go back and check

I also interviewed today, and loved this school. Great curriculum, location, and great atmosphere. I should also mention that the campus is beautiful. I think they definitely like to ask thought provoking questions, and I'm really hopeful for an acceptance. It's going to be a long wait.
I know what you mean. And I was trying to listen for who was from New Jersey and I think you and I were in the same row for the presentation but when I tried to see which one the guy next me's head was in the way.

I know what you mean. And I was trying to listen for who was from New Jersey and I think you and I were in the same row for the presentation but when I tried to see which one the guy next me's head was in the way.

I was sitting at the back facing forward towards the screen. What part of NJ? How did the interview go for you?

FYI the student guide who walked me to my interview told me not to sweat it because his interview went terribly and was over in under 20 minutes, and yet here he was a year later. My interview went well but I was kicking myself for rambling until I got my acceptance.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Well a spot just opened because I am withdrawing. Best of luck!

If you dont mind me asking, any reason you withdrew. Hopefully that spot goes to a fellow SDN-er

Does anyone know how full the Class of 2016 is? They mentioned there was a hefty wait list, but wanted to know of this was true or just a scare tactic.

Yeah when I heard that, I was kind of surprised. It seemed like there have been a lot of acceptances in the Feb interviews (at least from the SDN crowd).

Also I am not from NJ, based on your screen name and you having the same interview date, I was just looking for a person from NJ. But yeah we were in the same row.

If you dont mind me asking, any reason you withdrew. Hopefully that spot goes to a fellow SDN-er

Yeah when I heard that, I was kind of surprised. It seemed like there have been a lot of acceptances in the Feb interviews (at least from the SDN crowd).

Also I am not from NJ, based on your screen name and you having the same interview date, I was just looking for a person from NJ. But yeah we were in the same row.

I noticed a bunch of acceptances on here from February but I'm hoping there are a few seats open that we get. How did you feel the interview went?

Anyone on here from the 3/7 interviewing group? If so, any of you people hear back yet?

Leave it to my state school, after showing no love for over a year and a half, finally gives me an acceptance letter JUST as I was starting to get excited about attending KCUMB. I've thought about the pros and cons, but can't get over the in-state tuition price difference. I sincerely wish the best for all of you in the class of 2016, I was thoroughly impressed by the facilities and the program and if money made no difference KCUMB would have been my #1 pick for sure. I will be right down the road at KU and I look forward to becoming colleagues with all of you :). And I'm so happy that my spot will give someone else the opportunity to attend. I will be writing a letter to the admissions office to let them know how impressed I was and how much I appreciated the opportunity to interview. Good luck!

Anyone on here from the 3/7 interviewing group? If so, any of you people hear back yet?

I interviewed on 3/7 but haven't gotten anything. However, I am tempted to call the AdComm and ask since they were supposed to meet last week to make their decisions.

UPDATE: I called this morning and they said all the letters have been mailed already..!

Last edited:
I noticed a bunch of acceptances on here from February but I'm hoping there are a few seats open that we get. How did you feel the interview went?

It went okay. I could've worded 2 questions better. They focused on things that werent a big part of my application. Like my short research and hospice stints. I made one of the ladies laugh a lot but the other one seemed stand off-ish.

This wait is killing me.

It went okay. I could've worded 2 questions better. They focused on things that werent a big part of my application. Like my short research and hospice stints. I made one of the ladies laugh a lot but the other one seemed stand off-ish.

This wait is killing me.

I know the feeling. The wait is awful, I just am really hopeful for an acceptance. This school has gone to the top of my list.

I interviewed on 3/7 but haven't gotten anything. However, I am tempted to call the AdComm and ask since they were supposed to meet last week to make their decisions.

UPDATE: I called this morning and they said all the letters have been mailed already..!
Yea, just got the letter-of-good-news in the mail today.

Yea, just got the letter-of-good-news in the mail today.
Congratulations buddy!

Hopefully NJMedstudent and I will be joining you next year. KCUMB blew me away with their dedication to service.

I am tempted to call their office and see when they meet to make decisions on the 3/14 group.

Congratulations buddy!

Hopefully NJMedstudent and I will be joining you next year. KCUMB blew me away with their dedication to service.

I am tempted to call their office and see when they meet to make decisions on the 3/14 group.
I think they usually are pretty good about 2 week-ish turn around time. I interviewed on 3/7 and my letter was postmarked 3/20, if that helps at all. Hope you guys get the good news soon.

I think they usually are pretty good about 2 week-ish turn around time. I interviewed on 3/7 and my letter was postmarked 3/20, if that helps at all. Hope you guys get the good news soon.

Yeah you will always hear right around the 14 day mark. I interviewed on a Friday and got my acceptance 2 weeks and 1 day later.

Good luck to all who are still waiting!