KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The student center has a Roasterie in it, which is a local coffee company that is 100x better than Starbucks.


okay good. calling it quits at ten isnt too bad. wat time does the coffee shop close? I know the cafeteria closes early. Are there any good fast food places near CT? How bout groceries or any target/walmart stores?
 
okay good. calling it quits at ten isnt too bad. wat time does the coffee shop close? I know the cafeteria closes early. Are there any good fast food places near CT? How bout groceries or any target/walmart stores?

To be honest...probably not in the immediate area. Its not in the "best" part of town. But that is no different from OUHSC and OSU-COM in my state. They are like that as well. Probably a 10 minute drive I would guess. Would need to talk with an actual student. I didn't get to spend a ton of time up there outside of my interview.
 
Right I get that, but I don't really want to sit in a classroom for 8 hours each day and then have to go home and study. So the answer that they spend about 4 hours and lecture and the rest of the day in lab is really what I was looking for. I am surprised they aren't going to a more ISP/PBL style given that the board scores are usually higher with those systems... either way, thank you for the link.

On another note, does anyone know how many sites in CO are available? It says they're affiliated with RVU...

I got that from a copy of the schedule they had on display in one of the buildings. I admit, I didn't get to look at it that long, but that is what it looked like to us. And when you say sites in CO, are you talking about clinical rotation sites? If so, the paper we were given shows two sites in Parker, CO. Hope that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted to KCUMB and LMU.I am leaning heavily towards KCUMB and have declined interviews to WVSOM,Western-Lebaanon,Touro,NY and still has interview offer from Lecom-Bradenton.Am I making the right decision?
Any ideas please.I need some validation of my choice.
 
I was accepted to KCUMB and LMU.I am leaning heavily towards KCUMB and have declined interviews to WVSOM,Western-Lebaanon,Touro,NY and still has interview offer from Lecom-Bradenton.Am I making the right decision?
Any ideas please.I need some validation of my choice.

i also declined interview @ WVSOM... so you are not alone in that regard.
 
Or, with places that do PBL you have very little classroom time, and more study time. I never said I don't want to study I said I don't want to spend 8hrs a day in a lecture & then spend 10hrs studying. The people I've talked to in PBL settings spend about 8-10-12 hrs per day studying and do quite well... See the difference?
 
I was accepted to KCUMB and LMU.I am leaning heavily towards KCUMB and have declined interviews to WVSOM,Western-Lebaanon,Touro,NY and still has interview offer from Lecom-Bradenton.Am I making the right decision?
Any ideas please.I need some validation of my choice.

It might depend on the teaching structure you prefer. Bradenton isn't like LECOM Erie. If you have read up on their teaching methods and like them, I would consider that school as well. I may be biased, though. I have family in Bradenton and have spent several summers there. I love that area.
 
There are quite a few people who almost never go to class because all of the lectures are posted online and there are also lots of people who go to every class. It all depends on what you prefer and how you feel you learn better. Almost none of the lectures have required attendance, just the labs.
 
I was accepted to KCUMB and LMU.I am leaning heavily towards KCUMB and have declined interviews to WVSOM,Western-Lebaanon,Touro,NY and still has interview offer from Lecom-Bradenton.Am I making the right decision?
Any ideas please.I need some validation of my choice.

Nah, you're fine. If you feel like you really like the school, why waste your time and money going to places you won't go to?

I turned down quite a few interviews (LECOM-erie, TUCOM-CA, TUCOM-NY, KCOM, WesternU/COMP) after my first 3 because I knew I wanted to go to KCUMB.

If you have any doubt though, go to them!
 
Nah, you're fine. If you feel like you really like the school, why waste your time and money going to places you won't go to?

I turned down quite a few interviews (LECOM-erie, TUCOM-CA, TUCOM-NY, KCOM, WesternU/COMP) after my first 3 because I knew I wanted to go to KCUMB.

If you have any doubt though, go to them!

I partly agree. In my case, I have turned down quite a few interviews because I know I wouldn't choose them over KCUMB. This is because I really liked the school and staying in KC is important to me.

However, if you aren't bias to a certain location and one of the schools you have an interview at is some place you could see yourself going, then I would say go to the interview. As perfect of a fit as one school seemed, maybe the next school will be even better for you. And if it's not, you know you made an educated decision in picking a school.

Of course, that is not considering the financial aspect. I would still attend some of the interviews I have been offered just to see the school if it wasn't far that stupid thing called money.
 
I got that from a copy of the schedule they had on display in one of the buildings. I admit, I didn't get to look at it that long, but that is what it looked like to us. And when you say sites in CO, are you talking about clinical rotation sites? If so, the paper we were given shows two sites in Parker, CO. Hope that helps.
Yeah, the sites are "Rocky Vista University" soooo they must have some kind of linkage or something, thanks for the help 😉

There are quite a few people who almost never go to class because all of the lectures are posted online and there are also lots of people who go to every class. It all depends on what you prefer and how you feel you learn better. Almost none of the lectures have required attendance, just the labs.
This is helpful information... Thanks a bunch, I needed to know this 🙂 I have taken 90% of my PB courses online, and done very well in them, I don't like sitting in lectures anymore unless they're really good lecturers and material I am very interested in... Thanks!
 
Ok guys, for the people that interviewed on 11/28:
They have the letters done. It looks like they are being mailed today, so look for your decision letters early next week.
 
Thanks for the info. Good luck to everyone who were interviewed on 11/28/11!
Ok guys, for the people that interviewed on 11/28:
They have the letters done. It looks like they are being mailed today, so look for your decision letters early next week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok guys, for the people that interviewed on 11/28:
They have the letters done. It looks like they are being mailed today, so look for your decision letters early next week.

I wonder if 11/30 interviews are included in that batch
 
i received an interview for early February. do you guys know how full the class is already?

I interviewed on 11/30 and I asked how full the class was already. Someone from adcom told me that very few slots had been filled so far, but as Dec 15 approaches (the deadline to pay the acceptance fee for those accepted earlier in the application season) there will be fewer and fewer slots left. Last year's class was almost full by mid-february. I'd recommend moving up your interview date if you can.
 
Last edited:
Just wondering how many people on here had been accepted so far....and on the acceptance letter (or rather the one they send after the acceptance letter) if other people had 5 weeks to pay the $1000...PM me if anyone has any questions...
 
Ok guys, for the people that interviewed on 11/28:
They have the letters done. It looks like they are being mailed today, so look for your decision letters early next week.

YEAH!! Can't wait! hopefully it is not a rejection leter :scared:
 
Just wondering how many people on here had been accepted so far....and on the acceptance letter (or rather the one they send after the acceptance letter) if other people had 5 weeks to pay the $1000...PM me if anyone has any questions...

For what it's worth...I interviewed on Nov. 7 and received my acceptance Nov. 17 (dated Nov. 14). Two days later I received the letter about the $1000 payment. I paid it last week. Mine said Dec. 15 was the deadline.
 
The stats for 2011 were 26 MCAT 3.5 GPA and I would bet they are higher this time around. I say this because I see a bunch of people on here with 30+ getting in here (Even though SDN is a crappy sample >.< ). I am sure there are some seats left but I think interviews are extended to late January already (please correct me if I am wrong)
 
Last edited:
People who interviewed on 11/28 i just got my acceptance letter! who else is in?!

Nice! You're the first I've heard of getting it. I hope I get mine on Monday.
Where are you from?
I interviewed on 11.28 also btw.

And you were worried about a rejection letter....
 
Last edited:
Nice! You're the first I've heard of getting it. I hope I get mine on Monday.
Where are you from?
I interviewed on 11.28 also btw.

And you were worried about a rejection letter....

Im in denver, co. haha yeah i was. nice i hope you get an acceptance too! good luck!
 
I wonder when we will receive something other than the receipt from the acceptance fee. Like financial aid info, immunizations forms, and just a general info packet. I couldn't find on last years thread when they got theirs.
 
I wonder when we will receive something other than the receipt from the acceptance fee. Like financial aid info, immunizations forms, and just a general info packet. I couldn't find on last years thread when they got theirs.

I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully it comes with the receipt of the acceptance fee.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of us already accepted I wanted to get y'alls opinion about the rotation sites and the quality of the residency placements (for the affiliated osteo hospitals).
 
accepted!

Gonna be hard to choose b/w KCUMB and KCOM.

This school has some excellent residency placements both allo and osteo
 
For those of us already accepted I wanted to get y'alls opinion about the rotation sites and the quality of the residency placements (for the affiliated osteo hospitals).
I am also on the hunt for more information regarding the clerkship sites for third year
 
I am wondering if I should submit my secondary application. I have a 3.72GPA and30 MCAT, with shadowing , research ,and volunteer hours. I know it is late in the season and it is getting very competitive now. I am not sure if I should give a try or save the money and wait until next year.
 
Well, since I was erroneously rejected :/ I finally submitted my secondary today... doubt I'll hear anything, but my fingers are crossed anyway...
 
It depends on what the topic is for the day but generally scrubs or shorts on the bottom and a Tshirt on top (women are told to wear a sports bra)
 
Just for curiosity's sake, how long did people who received interview invites wait after submitting a completed secondary?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends on what the topic is for the day but generally scrubs or shorts on the bottom and a Tshirt on top (women are told to wear a sports bra)

And do we hv omm lab for two yrs or just the first one? After two yrs and taking comlex step one we r basically done with omm correct???thanks for the info
 
I talked to admissions last week and they informed me that they do not interview after the first week of December. They also don't interview in January due to weather concerns. The earliest date that they start interviewing again is February, that first week! I'll be there on Friday, February 10th! =)
 
I got my interview invite one week after I was marked complete..Good luck :luck:
Thanks! I'm going to need it! I am hoping I can get an interview, I would really like to be in KC versus Erie! For a whole bunch of reasons! My fingers are crossed, if you don't mind sharing what were your stats... I'm only going in with a 3.18 s/cGPA, with PB work of 3.83c and 3.91s, and a 26Q (10b, 9v, 7p)
 
Flemon,
I saw on the thread that you were choosing between KCUMB and VCOM and ultimately chose KCUMB. I am in the same situation right now. I currently go to college in VA and am trying to decide between the two. What were your reasons for ultimately choosing KCUMB over VCOM?