Program-Specific Info / Q's Kean University Applicant Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulot234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back yet from Kean? Any word on interviews being given out?
Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything yet but I was at an LIU interview over the weekend and I met someone who has an interview at Kean tomorrow :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! They called me about the interview a week or two ago and then followed up with an email.

I think it went very well! I met with Dr. Knis-Matthews (Head of department) and the whole thing was about 30 min. She asked me all the standard questions that I've been asked at every interview thus far. She then brought me down for a tour of the clinic and stopped in on a class and she introduced me to the current students. She told me about the process: 350 students applied. They typically accept 30. Each candidate receives a score and then a certain number of those with a high enough score get invited for an interview. Then after the interview they get a new score and then the faculty get together and vote on each student that was interviewed. She said they are doing a round of voting tomorrow.

She also asked me if I applied to other schools and whether I had heard from any of them. I told her I have been waitlisted at one school (LIU Bk) and that I expect to hear from another over the next two weeks (Downstate) and she said she thinks she can get back to me before then.

So yeah, I feel very good about it but at the end of day who really knows...

Last edited:
Thanks guys! They called me about the interview a week or two ago and then followed up with an email.

I think it went very well! I met with Dr. Knis-Matthews (Head of department) and the whole thing was about 30 min. She asked me all the standard questions that I've been asked at every interview thus far. She then brought me down for a tour of the clinic and stopped in on a class and she introduced me to the current students. She told me about the process: 350 students applied. They typically accept 30. Each candidate receives a score and then a certain number of those with a high enough score get invited for an interview. Then after the interview they get a new score and then the faculty get together and vote on each student that was interviewed. She said they are doing a round of voting tomorrow.

She also asked me if I applied to other schools and whether I had heard from any of them. I told her I have been waitlisted at one school (LIU Bk) and that I expect to hear from another over the next two weeks (Downstate) and she said she thinks she can get back to me before then.

So yeah, I feel very good about it but at the end of day who really knows...
I definitely think that's a good sign. I have a feeling you will be accepted :)

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely think that's a good sign. I have a feeling you will be accepted :)
Aw thanks! I'll keep you posted. I know you also applied to Downstate. Anywhere else you're waiting to hear from??

Aw thanks! I'll keep you posted. I know you also applied to Downstate. Anywhere else you're waiting to hear from??
I actually applied to Kean as well. I had an interview a little less than a week and a half ago. Unfortunately, I don't think it went very well so my hopes for acceptance are not too high.

Why do you say that? I'm sure you did great!!
Thanks :) I felt like I gave terrible answers and I paused A LOT and kept rambling. Though she seemed very sweet, I feel like I didn't really connect with the interviewer.

I'm sure you did better than you think. Who was it with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I actually went on an interview today as well at Kean. I'm just not sure how well it went :/

Hey, I actually went on an interview today as well at Kean. I'm just not sure how well it went :/
Ideally, I would love for us all to get in - keep this thread updated if you hear back! I was told if I didn't hear back in four weeks it's basically a no.

I wasn't interviewed by the head of the department either. But they did show me the clinic. I hope we all get in too! Fingers crossed!

Hi! Was yours around 10:30? I think I saw you on my way out! Good luck! :)

I wasn't interviewed by the head of the department either. But they did show me the clinic. I hope we all get in too! Fingers crossed!
I wasn't shown the clinic so I feel like that's a pretty bad sign lol but good luck guys, hope everything works out!

I wasn't shown the clinic so I feel like that's a pretty bad sign lol but good luck guys, hope everything works out!

Aww don't say that. I don't think I did to well on the interview either. I even told the person who interviewed me that I hope she understood what I was trying to get across. It was just hard to get my point across.

Aww don't say that. I don't think I did to well on the interview either. I even told the person who interviewed me that I hope she understood what I was trying to get across. It was just hard to get my point across.
I don't know why I found myself getting so tripped up on seemingly simple questions they asked. Like when she asked "how do you know OT is the career for you?" - it seems like such an easy question but it was so difficult for me to articulate an answer

I don't know why I found myself getting so tripped up on seemingly simple questions they asked. Like when she asked "how do you know OT is the career for you?" - it seems like such an easy question but it was so difficult for me to articulate an answer
She asked me my experiences in my observations. I was lost. Which was really sad.

She asked me my experiences in my observations. I was lost. Which was really sad.
We're in the same boat for that one. I think I really just let my nerves get the best of me. Did she tell you when you'd hear back by? Or mention anything about acceptance letters?

We're in the same boat for that one. I think I really just let my nerves get the best of me. Did she tell you when you'd hear back by? Or mention anything about acceptance letters?
I think she told me in 2 weeks. I honestly don't even remember. My nerves got the best of me too.

Guys, I'm sure you both did great!. They expect a certain level of nervousness. Good luck!!:luck:

Oh wow got accepted today! Did anyone else hear anything ??

Last edited:
Congratulations! No I didn't. If you had an interview yesterday like I did and found out today that you got accepted, I don't think I got accepted :unsure::unsure:

I got wait listed. Fingers crossed I can get off the waitlist!!!

I had a missed call from them and then I received an email.

Best of luck!!!:luck::luck::luck:
Hi there,

Congratulation on you acceptance to OT program

When did you submit your application? Do they still send out an interview invitation ?

I submitted my application on 14th two days before the deadline and received am email from them that my application was under reviewing on Jan. 28th and I haven't receive anything from them and I start to assume that

I get reject and start to lose my hope on Kean.

anyway, congratulation again on an acceptance :soexcited:

Did anyone who had the interview do a written essay at the end of your interview?

Has anyone still not heard from Kean? I'm getting worried and i want to call about the status but don't want to be a pain

Hi guys! I had an issue with my application with Kean and called them so they can make sure they had everything together. Apparently they lost a LoR that I handed to an assistant in the Admissions office! They scheduled me for an interview yesterday at 1pm and received a call around 3pm saying I was accepted into their program! I'll be attending Kean in the fall semester!!!

Oh wow got accepted today! Did anyone else hear anything ??
Hey,

Congrats on getting! I just got in on Saturday, I was womdering what the process is like after that acceptance email. How long did it take for you to get the acceptance package home? And any other details ? Thanks!

Hi guys! I had an issue with my application with Kean and called them so they can make sure they had everything together. Apparently they lost a LoR that I handed to an assistant in the Admissions office! They scheduled me for an interview yesterday at 1pm and received a call around 3pm saying I was accepted into their program! I'll be attending Kean in the fall semester!!!
Hi. I was accepted into the 2017 cohort at Kean and was hoping you can give me some insight into the program. Specifically, what the hours of a typical day are, how the faculty is, housing, or anything relevant you may think I need to know. I am considering living at home (40 minute commute) and I'm trying to determine if that will be feasible. TIA.

I had a missed call from them and then I received an email.

Best of luck!!!:luck::luck::luck:
Hi. I'm really hoping you get this message and have a moment to give me some info. I've been accepted to Kean for the 2017 cohort and would like to know how you like the program. What are the daily hours, availability of faculty, workload, housing costs, etc? I'm also very interested in knowing how the Intro to OT class was. I have to take it during the summer so wondering what the hours are, difficulty level... Please include any relevant information. I hope the program is all that you hoped it would be. TIA.

I haven't heard anything yet but I was at an LIU interview over the weekend and I met someone who has an interview at Kean tomorrow :/
Hi! I have been reading your posts from last year after you were accepted into the Kean OT program. I was wondering if you could guide me on some questions they asked you and if you have any advice? It would be very helpful. Let me know. Thanks!