Kids or no kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was too futuristic for me and I felt really bad for the guy in the wheelchair...I always have too much sympathy for the underdog

Members don't see this ad.

jurassic park ey?

Don't hate...at least when it comes to science michael crichton makes an effort to get his facts straight. I hate seeing incorrect science knowledge in books or movies. It's one of my biggest pet peeves :mad:

Pingu said:
Don't hate...at least when it comes to science michael crichton makes an effort to get his facts straight. I hate seeing incorrect science knowledge in books or movies. It's one of my biggest pet peeves :mad:
don't get all pissy now.

Is the Match gettin' ya down?

Well here's the pill for you.

Fukitol XL 1000 mg PO BID.

Members don't see this ad :)
How could you feel bad for JUDE LAW??? He's such a stud, even in a wheelchair it was obvious. What a deelish specimen of a man.

because he killed himself. And he was in a wheelchair. He could have done SO much if not for the wheelchair. Plus, he was SO hot brooding and depressed

I'd be depressed too if I had to go peepee in bags everyday.

Plus he had to give up all of his ****in blood. That must have truly sucked.

I haven't seen this movie either so I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I guess I will have to add this to my Netflix list too.

Pingu said:

Ooh ooh, the worst such mistake eh-ver was in the Jodie Foster movie "Panic Room," when the mom and her diabetic daughter were trapped in one room, and the girl's insulin was in another room, and the girl started sweating and shaking and losing consciousness, and her wristwatch blood-sugar monitor-thingy showed a reading of, like, 35 or something, and Jodie Foster was all like "OMG I must get her insulin or else she's like gonna DIE." I honestly couldn't stop myself from yelling "You fat, bloated eeediot!" at the screen. Give the kid a friggin' candy bar, for god's sake.

skoller said:
Ooh ooh, the worst such mistake eh-ver was in the Jodie Foster movie "Panic Room," when the mom and her diabetic daughter were trapped in one room, and the girl's insulin was in another room, and the girl started sweating and shaking and losing consciousness, and her wristwatch blood-sugar monitor-thingy showed a reading of, like, 35 or something, and Jodie Foster was all like "OMG I must get her insulin or else she's like gonna DIE." I honestly couldn't stop myself from yelling "You fat, bloated eeediot!" at the screen. Give the kid a friggin' candy bar, for god's sake.
M'kay... slight hiatus break. The wrist-watch device to which you refer is called the "Gluco-Watch" wristwatch. It's the only non-blood requiring glucose meter approved by the FDA so far. And, it's not very accurate at low levels of glucose. Every 20 minutes it sends a smal electrical current into the skin which causes a bit of fluid to move onto the sensor pad on the back of the watch via reverse iontophoresis. Then, glucose level is measured via the glucose-oxidase electrochemical biosensor method. *crosses fingers and hopes this will be on today's exam*

AndyMilonakis said:
I too went to a public high school. Eleanor Roosevelt H.S. It had a Science & Technology program which you had to test to get into. I didn't make it in (cuz my grades in middle school sucked ass and my test scores sucked too) but they gave me a Science & Tech diploma by mistake.
I went to public schools, too - they wouldn't let me into the advanced math and science prorgam either! They called it KARE - I forget what it stood for, but we called it Kids Are ******ed Everywhere. What do you think about my ****ing standardized test scores now, ****-monkeys? Of course, the people who were in KARE probable won't have to scramble...

In other news, I'm off to my "psychology liason meeting" - my rotation assignment for the morning. Must... maintain... respect... for... crap-ass... allied... medical... professions...

geddy said:
I went to public schools, too - they wouldn't let me into the advanced math and science prorgam either! They called it KARE - I forget what it stood for, but we called it Kids Are ******ed Everywhere. What do you think about my ****ing standardized test scores now, ****-monkeys? Of course, the people who were in KARE probable won't have to scramble...

In other news, I'm off to my "psychology liason meeting" - my rotation assignment for the morning. Must... maintain... respect... for... crap-ass... allied... medical... professions...
yeah our science & tech program was appropriately abbreviated as S&T. since i wasn't in the program, i referred to it as ****s and turds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a public high school that contained the International Baccalaureate (IB) magnet program within it. It was an "US and THEM" atmosphere. We called the non-IB students "Regs".

I'm the opposite of AndyM in that I was really smart in middle school and got good grades, but then I got dumber as the years went by. :(

AndyMilonakis said:
I too went to a public high school. Eleanor Roosevelt H.S.

The Eleanor Roosevelt in Greenbelt, Maryland?

You guys are pretty dam funny, but where were all you funny folks at the USCAP meeting? Unless of course, you had your "game face" on during the meeting and let it all hang out at the local Hooter's later at night, when I was dead asleep like most parents!!!! :laugh:

Well I just went to regular old boring public school without all these fancy S&T/KARE/IB programs. We had AP classes though!! :thumbup:

1Path said:
You guys are pretty dam funny, but where were all you funny folks at the USCAP meeting? Unless of course, you had your "game face" on during the meeting and let it all hang out at the local Hooter's later at night, when I was dead asleep like most parents!!!! :laugh:
well deschutes was there. she's so funny she makes people crap their pants. what? you didn't see the girl in the ewok outfit?

AndyMilonakis said:
yep...that one. :)

How did you make it out of there alive being a dookie in terp-land? You must have mad elusive skillz to dodge all the batteries and flaming mattresses hurled in your general direction.

CameronFrye said:
How did you make it out of there alive being a dookie in terp-land? You must have mad elusive skillz to dodge all the batteries and flaming mattresses hurled in your general direction.
I went to Hopkins and had no intentions of going to UMCP. I had every reason to hate the Terps. Plus, most of my friends hated the Terps too.

Terps? Is this some racist thing? :confused:

This is what I meant about getting dumber.

You should have kids. My residency program is like a baby factory. Somebody's always out with a new baby. Our's is due in May. Already got him baby demay :)

stormjen said:
Terps? Is this some racist thing? :confused:

This is what I meant about getting dumber.

Terps (Terrapins) = University of Maryland

Wolverines = University of Michigan
and
Huskers= University of Nebraska

and

#1 = University of Illinois

Freestyle said:
and

#1 = University of Illinois
Too bad about what happened against Ohio State...

Love the avatar!! Oh that's right, Private Freestyle, don't make any ****ing effort to get into your top ****ing residency choice. If God would have wanted you up there, he would have miracled your ass up there by now, wouldn't he?

You will give your microscope a girl's name because this is the only ***** you people are going to get. Your days of finger-banging ol' Mary J. Rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties are over. You're married to this microscope. This instrument of metal and lenses. And you will be faithful!

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy ****ing walrus-looking piece of ****. Get the **** out of my sign-out room. Get the **** away from my microscope. Now. Move it. I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world. I will motivate you, intern, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo.

geddy said:
Too bad about what happened against Ohio State...

Love the avatar!! Oh that's right, Private Freestyle, don't make any ****ing effort to get into your top ****ing residency choice. If God would have wanted you up there, he would have miracled your ass up there by now, wouldn't he?

You will give your microscope a girl's name because this is the only ***** you people are going to get. Your days of finger-banging ol' Mary J. Rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties are over. You're married to this place. This instrument of metal and lenses. And you will be faithful

Actually, I am expecting my top choice, but probably because my ass has been miracled there :laugh:

Out-***king-Standing!

Freestyle said:
Actually, I am expecting my top choice, but probably because my ass has been miracled there :laugh:

Out-***king-Standing!
Aah - another MudPhudder! So, what is your top choice? I don't remember seeing you in the listed posted after rank lists were submitted.

Yeah, I wasn't really into posting my ROL. I'll post my match on matchday I guess. In any case, I didn't pick any of the several programs that many people in this forum seem to be very juiced about.

geddy said:
Aah - another MudPhudder! So, what is your top choice? I don't remember seeing you in the listed posted after rank lists were submitted.
yeah, Freestyle is probably one of thsoe 20 frickin' mudphudders applying to path from UPenn this year. :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
yeah, Freestyle is probably one of thsoe 20 frickin' mudphudders applying to path from UPenn this year. :laugh:

Huh, dude are you serious? 20? I call Bullshiat.

LADoc00 said:
Huh, dude are you serious? 20? I call Bullshiat.
dude wtf are you smoking? Penn has a bunch of mudphudders going into path this year.

wanna match in path at Upenn this year? kiss your ****in chances goodbye.

Strangely, I was okay with posting my ROL, but I don't know if I'll post where I end up. Because my name is in my handle, I guess.

A girl I know investigating the whole physician/mom route, said she had learned that rads is a better way to go. Rads groups are often larger and can handle someone working 2-3 days a week. She said one private practice pathologists she talked to said in 30 years NO ONE, in his group of 5, had ever called in sick. If you don't show up, there is no slack to cover for you. Vacation-time is scheduled years in advance.

But if you got a job at Kaiser or some huge group or ACADEMICS, I'm sure it is no big deal working part-time.

She is going into rads now.

OK - as a mom of a three year old (but not yet a resident) maybe I can at least offer some of what I have learned along the way...

Children are wonderful, yes. I am very glad that I had my daughter when I did (nine months before entering med school), however, the best word I can use to describe what it has been like managing being a mom and a student is HUMBLING. That is, you have to realize that you can't do everything as well as you may have before. Now med school has been a humbling experience anyway, but with children only more so. Residency I imagine will be the same. Although I am doing well now, and seemed to have found a balance that makes me feel ok with the time I put into school and the time I have for my daughter and husband, I am not the student I would be otherwise. I simply can't be. Also, I am not the mom I could be otherwise. This is true for any career. You can do it all - but not as well, or as thoroughly, as you would otherwise. If you want an academic career, or a powerhouse private practice, you need to work in having children when it will do the least damage. Personally. I plan to have another child my second year in residency and then possibly call it quits. I am betting that having children in residency will be less damaging that doing it when I am starting to establish my career. However, that being said, I interviewed for med school 8 1/2 months pregnant and only applied to one school! Not the best chances there, but I was fine with waiting a year if I didn't get in.

Anyway, I think it boils down to the fact that having children will always be inconvenient for the people around you, and it will hamper your ability to attend to you studies/work as any consuming outside interest may. But over time you will find a balance and "prove yourself" so to speak. I did, and I think learning how to prioritize and multi-task helped a lot (and thankfully I had a couple of years of med school to learn this before the all important step 1 and third year). Your life which may have been relatively focused on school or before now becomes multi-dimensional and complicated in a way that both taxes you and provides you with a healthy sense of perspective. It’s a one-way path here, and you can only move forward. You must be prepared to let go of the standards and demands you placed on yourself before and creatively redefine your ambitions and yourself, academically, spiritually and personally, in your new context as a parent.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Dep Weigel. That was a nice post. I have a 3.5 month old son so it was interesting. He will have a grandparent as a full time caregiver while I am in residency plus my husband is flexible. However, I am learning that mom is definitely #1 for these little people. This could have to do with the fact that I am breast feeding.

Dep.Weigel said:
OK - as a mom of a three year old (but not yet a resident) maybe I can at least offer some of what I have learned along the way...

Children are wonderful, yes. I am very glad that I had my daughter when I did (nine months before entering med school), however, the best word I can use to describe what it has been like managing being a mom and a student is HUMBLING. That is, you have to realize that you can't do everything as well as you may have before. Now med school has been a humbling experience anyway, but with children only more so. Residency I imagine will be the same. Although I am doing well now, and seemed to have found a balance that makes me feel ok with the time I put into school and the time I have for my daughter and husband, I am not the student I would be otherwise. I simply can't be. Also, I am not the mom I could be otherwise. This is true for any career. You can do it all - but not as well, or as thoroughly, as you would otherwise. If you want an academic career, or a powerhouse private practice, you need to work in having children when it will do the least damage. Personally. I plan to have another child my second year in residency and then possibly call it quits. I am betting that having children in residency will be less damaging that doing it when I am starting to establish my career. However, that being said, I interviewed for med school 8 1/2 months pregnant and only applied to one school! Not the best chances there, but I was fine with waiting a year if I didn't get in.

Anyway, I think it boils down to the fact that having children will always be inconvenient for the people around you, and it will hamper your ability to attend to you studies/work as any consuming outside interest may. But over time you will find a balance and "prove yourself" so to speak. I did, and I think learning how to prioritize and multi-task helped a lot (and thankfully I had a couple of years of med school to learn this before the all important step 1 and third year). Your life which may have been relatively focused on school or before now becomes multi-dimensional and complicated in a way that both taxes you and provides you with a healthy sense of perspective. It’s a one-way path here, and you can only move forward. You must be prepared to let go of the standards and demands you placed on yourself before and creatively redefine your ambitions and yourself, academically, spiritually and personally, in your new context as a parent.

Hope that helps.

Is it true pregnant women are really horny all the time or is that urban legend?

LADoc00 said:
Is it true pregnant women are really horny all the time or is that urban legend?

My wife is currently preggers... I can verify this as complete fact (at least in her case).

DrBloodmoney said:
My wife is currently preggers... I can verify this as complete fact (at least in her case).

Praise be the Lord.

I cant wait.

AndyMilonakis said:
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Dood, youve gone ****** on us.

yaah said:
You hate me. You wish I were dead.
i sort glass
that's my job
red glass go here
green glass go here
i'm not stupid