Coursework & Fieldwork Kitchen/Meal Prep assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i was hoping some of you would be able to assist me. i am having difficulty finding an assessment that would identify a patients functional ability within the kitchen or preparing a meal. At the moment i can only find ones related to cognition and process skills, but i would like a specific one targeting safety in regards to mobility. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Unfortunately, this forum is mostly for pre-ot applicants. You might have better luck at reddit.com/r/occupationaltherapy. Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone, i was hoping some of you would be able to assist me. i am having difficulty finding an assessment that would identify a patients functional ability within the kitchen or preparing a meal. At the moment i can only find ones related to cognition and process skills, but i would like a specific one targeting safety in regards to mobility. Thanks!

KELS is the most common one but that addresses cognition and not mobility. I don't know any common mobility assessments taught in OT school.

Never used it but check out the Kitchen Task Assessment. Another one is the A-One. Never used it either but I think that's for a variety of ADLs. Not sure if you'll find one that'll assess mobility specifically in a kitchen task. There's the functional reach test, berg balance scale, and the timed get up and go, just to name a few for mobility and balance in general.

CharlieKingOfRats, I didn't know they had a Reddit!

Are you looking for a standardized assessment? If not, could you just conduct an informal assessment using a kitchen activity and observe their mobility over the duration of the task? Grabbing ingredients from the refrigerator and bowls and utensils from the cabinets (different heights) then moving to a counter top to prep the food would require mobility to a certain degree and you could use clinical reasoning (based on your observations and clinical experience) to determine if they are aware of their safety precautions.

I'm not an OT...I'm just an OTS, but one of my professors said that informal assessments are common and very informative. I'm sure it depends on the setting, clientele, and specific workplace policies (for reimbursement), but I just thought I'd make a suggestion! Good luck and let us know if you find something.