Know Your Worth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedleDrivers

waiting to be autoclaved
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

So one of the most stressful questions asked in job interviews is the 'expected pay' portion of the discussion. For me, its really difficult to evaluate my worth-so how do you evaluate and compare yourselves to the industry standard?

I've discussed with recent graduates in my area about this question, and one of their fears is to underestimate themselves and thus short themselves in the industry. (Panic)

Just looking for wise people to give wise advice!

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

So one of the most stressful questions asked in job interviews is the 'expected pay' portion of the discussion. For me, its really difficult to evaluate my worth-so how do you evaluate and compare yourselves to the industry standard?

I've discussed with recent graduates in my area about this question, and one of their fears is to underestimate themselves and thus short themselves in the industry. (Panic)

Just looking for wise people to give wise advice!

Cheers.

When I was asked this question at one of my job interviews, I basically said, "Well, the average starting salary for a new veterinary grad is X..." and went from there. You can be flexible up or down based on location, hours, other benefits. If you're working emergency in a big city, you're going to ask for (and get!) more than if you're working rural mixed animal in the middle of nowhere. I would also ask prospective employers about Pro-Sal vs. straight salary as that may impact your actual take home pay.

Reactions: 1 user
For your first job, it's just going to be based on the going rate for new grads as trh said. The rest is supply and demand. If there are few jobs available, then you don't have much bargaining room. If there are more jobs than are graduates available, then ask for the sign on bonus, extra CE money, extra perks like paid short term disability or extra vacation.

Once you're in your first job, it gets much simpler. You should be able to figure out how much you're grossing, and you take that number as your starting point. E.g. If you're grossing $500k at your current practice, you have a good case for asking for at least $100k salary provided that you are moving to a similar practice in a similar location. Often times, people get paid some sort of production, whether it be straight production or prosal, so at the end of the day, it may not matter too much.

Reactions: 1 users