Ladies anwer only!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorPLASTIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For second look I am not sure what to wear. Most of you should know. I was planning on wearing a pair of grey dress slacks and a white dress shirt. No tie and the dress shirt unbuttoned. It is supposed to be buisness casual and was wondering if this would fit the bill?

Thx-DP

Members don't see this ad.

For second look I am not sure what to wear. Most of you should know. I was planning on wearing a pair of grey dress slacks and a white dress shirt. No tie and the dress shirt unbuttoned. It is supposed to be buisness casual and was wondering if this would fit the bill?

Thx-DP

Why limit the response to women? I mean... uhm.. if you are male, then guys would be a better group to ask (they are the ones who will be wearing clothes that you will want to blend in with) and if you are female, guys will be the ones noticing you.. so in either case, you want guys to answer.

Why limit the response to women? I mean... uhm.. if you are male, then guys would be a better group to ask (they are the ones who will be wearing clothes that you will want to blend in with) and if you are female, guys will be the ones noticing you.. so in either case, you want guys to answer.
hmhmn. But women know how to better dress guys to look good! ie. they know what they want. Plus most guys (myself included) think wearing a t-shirt and flip-flops is okay for office wear!:laugh:

BACK on TOPIC PLZ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Writing LADIES RESPOND ONLY will only attract all the men to your thread.

Also what should you wear TO WHAT?

Youd idn't even write what this is for?

Slackers and dress shirt is fine.

At my school it was all very casual, and guys were wearing jeans and t-shirts, or jeans and a polo, or jeans and a button-down shirt. You might want to ask people who have attended 2nd Look from previous classes at your specific school.

I think if you are having clinical demonstrations or faculty lunches/dinner, then a little more dressy is in order. If not, go more casual and comfortable.

you should wear a kilt and insist to everybody pre-emptively that it is *not* a skirt. but i'm a guy, so what do i know?

i'd wear cut off jean shorts and socks with sandals....

how about responses from gay men or metrosexuals? They can dress well.

Thx-DP

Maybe you could get your avatar made into a T-shirt or something. The ladies would LOVE it!

Thx-DP

Wear that if you want to look like an accountant..

Try the grey slacks with a pink, blue, or lime shirt.

Also, wear a jacket (unless you want to look like a tool) but no tie and forget the links in the cuffs.

Shoes are another thing. Hopefully you have a nice pair (not the ones you wear to interviews) that compliments your attire.

you should wear a kilt and insist to everybody pre-emptively that it is *not* a skirt. but i'm a guy, so what do i know?

This is an excellent suggestion. And, as I recall, real Scots men do not wear underwear beneath their kilts, so this would be a display of real masculine confidence that the lassies at Second Look would find winsome, and hopefully, intriguing.

Whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

i'd wear cut off jean shorts and socks with sandals....

how about responses from gay men or metrosexuals? They can dress well.

but only if the jeans are cut high enough for the pockets to stick out and only if the socks have ample ventilation holes.

Wear that if you want to look like an accountant..

^^^ Lol, I was thinking car salesman, but yes. :smuggrin:

Agree with soeagerun that you need some color in your clothing. Otherwise you run the risk of coming off as a bit of a tool (yes, girls definitely judge men on their clothing just like you judge us! :p )

Why not try flipping through a copy of GQ, Maxim or FHM for style ideas. Remember that you'll have to dress up starting in 3rd year anyway, so any clothing that you buy now is going to be reused.

Members don't see this ad :)
the shirt unbuttoned thing scares me. it conjures up images of austin powers and chest hair and a gold chain or ace ventura with the open shirt and beater under. i hope this was not your intention. i would go with the suggestion for different color shirts and i definitely would second the jacket. and good shoes b/c as forest gump says you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes: where they've been and where they're going.

^^^ Lol, I was thinking car salesman, but yes. :smuggrin:

Agree with soeagerun that you need some color in your clothing. Otherwise you run the risk of coming off as a bit of a tool (yes, girls definitely judge men on their clothing just like you judge us! :p )

Why not try flipping through a copy of GQ, Maxim or FHM for style ideas. Remember that you'll have to dress up starting in 3rd year anyway, so any clothing that you buy now is going to be reused.

Whoa whoa whoa, we do not judge you on your clothing. We judge you purely on your anatomical endowments.

Whoa whoa whoa, we do not judge you on your clothing. We judge you purely on your anatomical endowments.

Hear that? So it's settled. Banana hammock.

And make it a colorful one; as was suggested, pink, blue and lime are all appropriate colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
How bout a blue striped shirt and grey slacks?

How bout a blue striped shirt and grey slacks?

Better... but still at least consider taking soeager's advice about wearing a jacket. Or at least have a look through some men's fashion mags for inspiration. :idea:

Like they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. :cool:

Better... but still at least consider taking soeager's advice about wearing a jacket. Or at least have a look through some men's fashion mags for inspiration. :idea:

Like they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. :cool:

Okay thx. The main thing though is i am not sure what "buisness casual" is?

In say GQ are they wearing "buisness casual"?

Okay thx. The main thing though is i am not sure what "buisness casual" is?
Business casual just means a shirt (go with buttons) and pants (go with cotton). Tie is not needed. Wear a jacket if you're worried about getting cold.

Don't sweat this. The sort of people who are going to make judgment calls based on how you dress at a second look are the sort of people who don't make good judgment calls anyway.

Look people in the eye, say what you mean, treat everyone graciously and you'll make a good impression. Anyone who snickers because you aren't wearing this season's colors isn't really worth worrying about.

In say GQ are they wearing "buisness casual"?
Not necessarily. They sell everything from sportswear to suits and their models behave accordingly. Do a quick search on business casual and you'll see lots of examples.

GQ sells to a type. Don't use them as a model unless you really dig the stuff they sell. You'll see sweaters around the neck and tee-shirts under sports coats and all sorts of things that would make me feel like a shmarmy stockbrocker if I wore it. Wear a pair of pants and a nice shirt that you're comfortable in. The uncomfortable "them" clothes was for the interview.

I say don't listen to anybody that uses the word slacks. Ugh.. that word is just weird.

i saw some a$$crack at one of my 2nd weekends.
it was chill. folks in blazers mingled with folks in jeans and t-shirts.

Suffice it to say most guys, and especially premeds have no idea how to dress. Here is my quick tutorial for the uninformed:

"Business Dress". Conservative dark suit with dark shoes and tie. Usually white, off-white, or blue shirt. The purpose of business dress is to show conservativeness and respect for the institution. It's what your boss wears so it's what you wear. This is what you wore to the interview.
businessSuit.jpg

"Business Casual". Any color sport coat with a complimentary color trousers, bright shirt, stylish shoes, no tie. Some mistake "business casual" to mean khaki pants and a polo shirt with topsiders; this is "country club." If you want to show how little your role in the institution matters wear slacks and a tie without the jacket (or slacks and collared shirt only for that matter), it smells of "tool" and "expendable."

jackvictor13spring2005.jpg

I'd be happy to further clarify.

"Business Dress". Conservative dark suit with dark shoes and tie. Usually white, off-white, or blue shirt. The purpose of business dress is to show conservativeness and respect for the institution.
Actually, you're describing a very conservative interpretation of what constitutes "business dress". I can't remember the last time I saw a plain white shirt and off-white is pretty rare. Your description is probably apt for a Junior Republican fund-raiser, but actual business attire is a whole lot looser.
"Business Casual". <snip>If you want to show how little your role in the institution matters wear slacks and a tie without the jacket (or slacks and collared shirt only for that matter), it smells of "tool" and "expendable."
Wow. I think it only smells that way to kinda tightly wound premeds. Unless there's some code that I'm not picking up on for second looks, just wear plain old business casual. You won't insult anyone by not wearing a jacket and no one will think you're "expendable" (aren't we "in" by second look?).

Comb your hair. Wear lots of deoderant. Trim your nails. Shave. Wear a clean pair of pants and a nice shirt. Anything beyond that is a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't get too stressed out over fashion gunners at second looks.

Assless leather chaps.

Suffice it to say most guys, and especially premeds have no idea how to dress. Here is my quick tutorial for the uninformed:

"Business Dress". Conservative dark suit with dark shoes and tie. Usually white, off-white, or blue shirt. The purpose of business dress is to show conservativeness and respect for the institution. It's what your boss wears so it's what you wear. This is what you wore to the interview.
businessSuit.jpg

That is one fuguly gold tie! :eek:

Writing LADIES RESPOND ONLY will only attract all the men to your thread.

Also what should you wear TO WHAT?

Youd idn't even write what this is for?

AH this is for second look. In that case you should wear something liek this:

Fairy_Costume.jpg

As a female who will be attending a revisit at a school I've been accepted to, I'm assuming you've also been accepted to the school you will revisit. I would suggest that you dress nice, not over the top, but clean enough to exemplify the great doctor you will soon be, but casual enough to feel comfortable, i.e. khaki pants, or slacks with a nice clean, comfortable shirt of your choice with whatever nice shoes guys wear. I think that you do have to dress to impress so the adcom and the other important people you'll meet won't think they've made a grave decision by accepting you, but since you've already been accepted, you don't need to re-create your stiff, and possibly uncomfortable interview attire.

:luck:

just got back from a second look, all I saw was jeans. except for the closing formal dinner. other than that, it doesn't matter.

Was the attire business casual?

It's totally understandable to wear jeans and whatever if it's an informal event but if it is an 'official' school sponsored event with business casual dress then jeans have no place. Well I take that back, unless you're a state school and your student body doesn't own anything except overalls and the suit they'll be buried in. Apparently young people have no idea about rules of etiquette, fashion, and how to dress so as to 1) not embarrass yourself by looking like a slob 2) look uncomfortable 3) make a statement that you are serious and kool at the same time.

Regardless of the debate, the OP seems to want to make an impression. I argue that the "GQ" or metro or suave look makes a distinct positive impression as opposed to the stereotypical khakis / slacks & shirt w/or/wo tie.