Ladies, would you date a soldier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you date a guy on the HPSP scholarship?

• I'm single, yes.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I'm single, no.

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

Maybe.a.dentist

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a pretty dumb thing to worry about, but I'll go ahead and ask it. If you are single, would you seriously date a guy on the HPSP scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

No student debt, a living stipend, job security, and retirement benefits. You should be taking applications for them to date you.

Reactions: 5 users
No student debt, a living stipend, job security, and retirement benefits. You should be taking applications for them to date you.

Well add devilishly handsome to that and you will describe me to a "T", lol but seriously I feel like the kind of crowd I'll meet in dental school would rather a guy with debt who can settle down in one place rather than have to move a couple times the first four years after graduation. So here I am to hear from future classmates rather than pretend to assume I actually know what women want.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well add devilishly handsome to that and you will describe me to a "T", lol but seriously I feel like the kind of crowd I'll meet in dental school would rather a guy with debt who can settle down in one place rather than have to move a couple times the first four years after graduation. So here I am to hear from future classmates rather than pretend to assume I actually know what women want.

Well, in those first four years you will be earning a positive income while your peers will still be paying off their student loans or accruing more debt. Logically, it would make sense to pick the former rather than the latter. But I don't know what women want/look for either. High five for being clueless men!

You're asking for the dependapotomi to come out of the wood work.

Reactions: 4 users
As someone who has been in the military for a decade as a female officer and who did marry a soldier, I feel I'm uniquely qualified to give you some advice. As an eligible bachelor who is attending dental school on HPSP, you are are currently asking a group of people who are looking into, applying to, or attending dental school. I would wager that most (not all...) of the women here are looking to eventually settle down with an equally intelligent or career-focused mate. This will probably be similar to the women you'll come across in dental school. So, if you're looking to date women from your dental school while you're attending, you're going to eliminate almost all women who are looking to date with a purpose (for a serious relationship) from your dating pool UNLESS they are also HPSP. Why? Well, in my educated opinion, it would be a lot easier for two HPSP folks to stay together (assuming they're married - not just dating...) than it would be for a newly graduated civilian dentist to be willing to find a job wherever you get stationed and then attempt to follow you around until you're done. Has it been done? I'm sure. But it's certainly a road block. Sure, you're not asking about a serious relationship... but many/most women stop looking to "date around" shortly after graduating undergrad. So, they will certainly be assessing and reassessing the longterm potential of any relationship they're in...

That said, there are PLENTY of civilian women out there who will want to date you for the mere fact that you're a dental student and are on your way to a relatively financially stable job (financial security to a lot of women = more important than your "devilishly handsome"ness). The fact that you'll owe some time to Uncle Sam will be a non-issue for most of them.

If, however, you make it out of dental school and are NOT in a serious relationship, be WARNED. When you are dating wherever you end up stationed, whether for training or your PCS (permanent change of station), there are women in these areas who are GUNNING for a young military officer. See "dependapotomi" comment from @mroerdh22 above. I have lived/worked on many of these military installations and, when I was a young single-ton myself, I remember seeing the military pay chart posted in a couple of the bathrooms at bars/clubs that I happened to be at with friends. So, yeah, you'll be a wanted man but it probably won't be because of your looks. Unfortunately, the general consensus from my brothers-at-arms is that many of these lady-folk are not the type they'd want to be involved with anyway (dating or otherwise). Plus, you'll be competing with the hoards of military men looking for that special someone when the general population doesn't have THAT many females.

Good luck out there! As for me, I married a devilishly handsome man and he departed the military shortly thereafter so that we could stay together.

Reactions: 4 users
lol.....SDN has the best threads sometimes.

You're asking for the dependapotomi to come out of the wood work.

^ My first thought right here ^

Don't forget that the military offers adventure. I've heard from plenty of dental Officers who have been stationed in Europe and Asia and have brought their families along to explore. One Air Force dentist was in Korea and she/her husband/kids would travel to Thailand, Japan, etc. quite often - few jobs can compete with the military here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Omg just go on tindr. Apparently that's what most single students in dental school do (or so I've heard).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
He can't waste any time finding his Tinderella!

Who said it would be a waste of time? For some of my friends that are currently in dental school... it's a great stress reliever !

Even Ty Jacob's Biology notes state that "Movements in courtship rituals are FAPs. Thus, the entire routine is a chain of FAPs that must be performed flawlessly if mating is to occur.”

& yes... I really did just quote Ty Jacobs

Happy Studying !

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
It's almost as if @CareerNumTwo read my mind. Her post beautifully details one of the reasons why I withdraw my application for the Navy HPSP after I had already done MEPS and interviewed.
Yeah, for me having personal relationships with people means more to me than having lots of money in the bank upon graduation. I got fairly far along in the process too, but when all is said and done I want to be happy with my decision no matter what I do. And considering I've always had a bit of an inclination to loneliness and am naturally pretty shy I figured an unnecessary added road block would not really make me happy.

Someone PM'd me a similar question right now and I figured I'd bump this thread and post my reply here so that anyone with a similar question can see.

While relationships are important to consider, don't base your entire decision about whether or not to serve in the Dental Corps solely on what some anonymous people on an online forum think about your relationship prospects. People in the military can still form relationships and socialize.

And beyond that, look at factors such as professional fulfillment. Consider this fact: almost every military dentist I've interviewed (over 20 across all 3 branches, ranging in rank from O-3 to O-6) is happy that they joined. Almost every new civilian grad or D3/D4 that I've interviewed (15+) wishes they had done the HPSP.

People say you can join after dental school. Guess what? Direct accessions are not easy to come by now. HPSP is one of the best ways to get into the military, and even that is becoming extremely competitive. The Army's first Board is in January and they've already stopped taking new applications now. The Air Force has already given out its 4-year scholarships.

You right now are at a major defining moment for you future. The decision you make will impact the next decade of your life. Whatever decision you make, make sure that you can support it with multiple lines of reasoning (not just relationship status).

Reactions: 1 users
oh man, why did you guys bring this thread back up lol

Reactions: 1 users