Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey hey, I hope you rocked your interview today...would you mind posting how your interview was conducted?

Ok so here it is! I'll try to make this informative as possible. Keep in mind that your questions will be different than mine but they were all questions from the "9 Questions" that HockeyDr just referred to. Also, he knows what he's talking about so make sure to read some of his posts regarding LECOM-E (and even LECOM-B/Seton Hill Campus).

Agenda:

7:45 am - Welcome to LECOM / Introductions
8:00 am - LECOM Presentations: Curriculum overview, clinical rotations, millcreek community hospital and residencies
9:30 am - Candidate interviews
11:00 am - Financial aid presentation, financial aid counselor
11:30 am - Campus tour
12:00 pm - Lunch at LECOM

The interview itself was very laid back. Our interview group consisted of 15 individuals and we divided in half for the group interviews. Once separated we went to individual conference rooms with two interviewers. My group had a D.O. who is a professor of family medicine (really cool guy, very laid back) and an admissions associate.

Once the interview began we all went around and introduced ourselves. The first person to do so went kind of overboard and basically rattled off their resume so everyone else sort of "had to" follow suit. Once we had done that we were all asked individual questions from that question bank of "the 9" that HockeyDr referred to. I was asked what I thought my greatest achievement was.

After answering those individual questions we were handed a group of rocks and were told to "choose one" and explain why we chose it (kind of like one of those "open ended" group exercises). Once we did that and had a few laughs at some of the responses we went into group discussion mode.

During the group discussion we played devil's advocate in a discussion regarding two ethical topics. Our topics were Universal Healthcare and the impacts/ethics of such a system as well as determining what to do in a situation where a physician you're working with administers the incorrect medication to a patient and how/why you'd go about reporting that mistake.

The group-discussion part of the interview was the most enjoyable of the entire experience because the D.O. who was leading the discussion was very open to your opinions and your reasoning processes.

After the interview we just went through the rest of the agenda above. Meeting with students was after pathway selection, which I thought was flawed. Getting student opinions on pathways was really important in helping you choose. Either way you can choose your pathway selection with Mr. Murphy in admissions as long as the pathway you're interested in isn't filled.

I hope that this is detailed enough so that you guys so you can prepare well for your interviews at LECOM-E! If you have any more specific questions I'll try to answer them when I have time.

EDIT: ShabNasty was seemingly in the other interview group so I'm glad we have both perspectives now! That'll help you guys even more. I was really surprised/pleased with the school as well and would be happy to attend there. I had my reservations before the interview because I had never visited but as ShabNasty has pointed out it was a very positive experience and the students we spoke with were very impressive (moreso than the ones I've met at some other DO school open-houses recently).
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did they ask people if they needed DO LOR after the interview?

The admissions counselor said that if you don't have the DO letter before the interview to not worry too much. He said that they really don't care how you get the letter, even if you only talked with a DO for a couple of hours, they just want to see that you have actually talked with one and have a little bit of an idea of what osteopathic medicine is. He did say that they would need the letter before they could make a decision on your file.

They did not offer up a DO to write the letter for you like some people had said in the past, but nobody really asked. I would contact Admissions if you get an interview and just let them know your situation if you don't have a DO letter. They seem very helpful.
 
Last edited:
Hello - I have not applied yet to LECOM, but today my husband and I decided to take a day trip to Erie to check out the area. The main campus/building looked very modern, and there were even a bunch of cars in the lot and a few students walking in and out. We also enjoyed the nearby Presque Island State Park. Just beautiful. I hope I get to go to school here. I have a few questions if there is anyone who can answer:

1. Of the several apartment complexes right near the school there on West Grandview, are any of them "pet friendly"? I have two dogs I can't live without! Also, does anyone have a list of the names of these apartments/websites that you could direct me to?

2. Of the different pathways, I understand that PBL is the only one of the 3 which has no cadaver but instead has a learning software program. Do the other two pathways also have access to this software along with the cadavers? Do the students in the other two pathways dissect cadavers or are the cadavers already prosected?

3. I'm also aware of the PCPP in which you can complete the program in 3 years if you want to become a primary care physician. Does the PCPP follow DSP/ISP or the PBL format?

Thanks to anyone with insight to these questions. So far it looks like a great place!
 
I also interviewed on Friday with Veritas23 and ShabNasty. The interview day was very laid back as they said, and the group interview was very relaxed. The best advice I can give for the interview is keep your introductions and individual answers so there is more time for a group discussion. You get to work on your reasoning and interact with a dynamic group of people.

I too feel the interview day was a positive experience. The students are genuinely happy with LECOM (they spoke very positively and honestly about the school) and the faculty is very involved and dedicated to training excellent physicians. Prior to the interview I did not know a lot about the school nor have I been to the area. As a result if interview day, I would be more than happy to attend LECOM!


I also wanted to note LECOM is also VERY involved in the community. Though it is a private school, it takes pride in the local community and is dedicated to improving the health and wellness of the region. Most schools say they do this, but when you visit, you can really feel (and see) the presence of LECOM in the community.

Sorry if I was at all repetitive.
 
I also interviewed on Friday with Veritas23 and ShabNasty. The interview day was very laid back as they said, and the group interview was very relaxed. The best advice I can give for the interview is keep your introductions and individual answers so there is more time for a group discussion. You get to work on your reasoning and interact with a dynamic group of people.

I too feel the interview day was a positive experience. The students are genuinely happy with LECOM (they spoke very positively and honestly about the school) and the faculty is very involved and dedicated to training excellent physicians. Prior to the interview I did not know a lot about the school nor have I been to the area. As a result if interview day, I would be more than happy to attend LECOM!


I also wanted to note LECOM is also VERY involved in the community. Though it is a private school, it takes pride in the local community and is dedicated to improving the health and wellness of the region. Most schools say they do this, but when you visit, you can really feel (and see) the presence of LECOM in the community.

Sorry if I was at all repetitive.

Thank you for sharing!
 
I also wanted to note LECOM is also VERY involved in the community. Though it is a private school, it takes pride in the local community and is dedicated to improving the health and wellness of the region. Most schools say they do this, but when you visit, you can really feel (and see) the presence of LECOM in the community.

Great point! I totally agree.
 
Good luck to all the interviewee's I met, hopefully you all chose the correct rock :laugh:. I'm glad you all enjoyed the school and hope you'll be hearing your good news soon enough. Feel free to PM me with any other Q's.
 
Good luck to all the interviewee's I met, hopefully you all chose the correct rock :laugh:. I'm glad you all enjoyed the school and hope you'll be hearing your good news soon enough. Feel free to PM me with any other Q's.

Thank you for coming to interview day ad having lunch with us! I hope to have good news soon, and if so I am seriously considering withdrawing all my other apps. Oh and I don't think anyone picked the 'auto-accept' rock ha!
 
Wow guys, thanks so much for such detailed info on the interview day! Sounds like a great place, and really hoping I get an II from there soon!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
YAY!!! I'm finally "under review"!!!! 🙂

I checked portal today, and I am also now "under review" for Erie. 🙂

Bradenton still has me as "We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made." 🙁

dsoz
 
when were you guys complete that are now under review?

Here is the timeline that I reconstructed from my email records that I have kept.

AACOMAS verified July 13
Erie received primary July 26
Secondary submitted Erie July 26
Secondary submitted Bradenton July 26

Erie secondary confirmed July 26
Bradenton secondary confirmed July 26

Bradenton primary received July 27

I just checked the portal this morning and saw that Erie is "under review" and Bradenton is not there yet.

dsoz
 
Here is the timeline that I reconstructed from my email records that I have kept.

AACOMAS verified July 13
Erie received primary July 26
Secondary submitted Erie July 26
Secondary submitted Bradenton July 26

Erie secondary confirmed July 26
Bradenton secondary confirmed July 26

Bradenton primary received July 27

I just checked the portal this morning and saw that Erie is "under review" and Bradenton is not there yet.

dsoz

were your LORs submitted before your secondary? How long did it take for your letters to be uploaded?
 
I love how I submitted mine in early july and i havent even gotten to "under review" yet -_-
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love how I submitted mine in early july and i havent even gotten to "under review" yet -_-

AACOMAS released 6/24
LECOM-B secondary received 7/10
Secondary sent 7/10

Still sitting at "We received your supplemental application...."
 
Congrats!!!

When did you submit/what are your stats??

Hey thanks, man this process can be excruciating when waiting, i was released by aacomas on 7/13 and submitted my secondary within a day or two of that i think. I was finally "under review" last week and got the invite today.
3.2/3.26/ 32 MCAT, did have an upward trend though.
 
Hey thanks, man this process can be excruciating when waiting, i was released by aacomas on 7/13 and submitted my secondary within a day or two of that i think. I was finally "under review" last week and got the invite today.
3.2/3.26/ 32 MCAT, did have an upward trend though.

Sweet, so maybe a week to go!
 
I was invited to interview but all of the dates to pick from on the portal schedule are still scratched out. Anybody else encounter this?
 
I was invited to interview but all of the dates to pick from on the portal schedule are still scratched out. Anybody else encounter this?

YES! I've tried emailing about it twice but haven't heard back yet. My II was last week so it's been super frustrating
 
I've been processed, but no interview invite. I think they send them out in batches... Or was I rejected pre-interview?

3.05cGPA
3.90 gGPA
32 mcat
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like I got the same email. It says I've been processed, but it's not even showing up in the portal yet. I think someone earlier in the thread said they got this email first, then the II?
 
mine says its been processed too but no interview invite email. hope the invite emails come out in batches!

I received the "processed" email this morning as well. When I log into the portal and go to the admission tab, and look in the required letters and credits I see a lot of red X boxes. According to the key that means that everything I have is "not yet received/entered."

What does that mean? Am I just being a neurotic pre-med?

dsoz