Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an interview invite today for August 17th.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they update your status for a pre-interview reject? And if so, what does the status say?

Has anyone been rejected pre-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get the email interview invite yet?
No - I was told over the phone the ii is for 8/23, but I haven't received the actual invite yet . . . annoying. But I did list Seton Hill as my preferred location over Erie. Maybe that has something to do with it

DocGirl, congrats! When did you complete your secondary??

No - I was told over the phone the ii is for 8/23, but I haven't received the actual invite yet . . . annoying. But I did list Seton Hill as my preferred location over Erie. Maybe that has something to do with it

Wow, submitted on 7/2 and the invite is for 8/23, already.... I was hoping for an Aug. interview with them. Maybe September for those that submitted around 7/9??

Just got this email:

"The Office of Admissions at LECOM Erie has processed your supplemental application. You can monitor the status of your application by logging on to the LECOM Candidate Portal."

I thought I was going to find out if I got an interview or not, but my application status now just says "your application is under review." Did anyone else get this? Does it mean their looking at my app and will tell me if I got an interview in the next couple of days, or does it mean I'm on hold?

I'm not usually an anxious person, but I think this whole process is starting to make me crazy... lol

BTW: I submitted my secondary 7/12 so it looks like their moving through the apps now

Just got this email:

"The Office of Admissions at LECOM Erie has processed your supplemental application. You can monitor the status of your application by logging on to the LECOM Candidate Portal."

I thought I was going to find out if I got an interview or not, but my application status now just says "your application is under review." Did anyone else get this? Does it mean their looking at my app and will tell me if I got an interview in the next couple of days, or does it mean I'm on hold?

I'm not usually an anxious person, but I think this whole process is starting to make me crazy... lol

BTW: I submitted my secondary 7/12 so it looks like their moving through the apps now

i submitted 7/12 also and still no news for me :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I too submitted on 7/12 and received that message. Let's hope they send an update before our heads explode.:xf:

I take it you're still waiting? I received and submitted mine on 7/9 and my portal hasn't changed yet. Purgatory.... :(

I haven't even received a secondary. Maybe I should call them.

I'll be seeing the 8/3 interviewee's at lunch. Feel free to think about any questions that you'd like to know from a students perspective.

Just got off the phone with them. They haven't sent me a secondary because they still don't have my MCAT scores. He said as long as the score is above a 23 I will receive a secondary. :D
I got my scores back on 07/24 and released them to AACOMAS the second I got them. I hope they get to my schools soon.

Couldn't hurt!

:thumbup:

I got mine the same day my primary was released, so you might want to check in. But the DO info book does say they only send it to "qualified applicants" (idk your stats, but just something to be wary of) :)

"We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

This is STILL my status. I submitted 7/9, have they still not processed me yet? This is torture. :confused:

I got mine the same day my primary was released, so you might want to check in. But the DO info book does say they only send it to "qualified applicants" (idk your stats, but just something to be wary of) :)
They were waiting on my MCAT scores which I barely got last week. At least I know I wasn't weeded out. LOL

They were waiting on my MCAT scores which I barely got last week. At least I know I wasn't weeded out. LOL

yea, I just read your reply to the first post. I was too slow :( haha

hope you get your secondary soon! so much waiting....

Good! Hopefully they'll send it soon. No essays so you can send it back immediately and hop on this waiting train with us... ;)

"We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

This is STILL my status. I submitted 7/9, have they still not processed me yet? This is torture. :confused:

EXACT same boat. I think every time I log in to check, they put me at the end of the line again. Fun for them, not for me.

I'll be seeing the 8/3 interviewee's at lunch. Feel free to think about any questions that you'd like to know from a students perspective.

Great to hear, I have two questions before I head out on my long drive tomorrow:

1. Having gone through the interview feedback section a few times now some people within the past year or two actually had individual interviews (versus the 8-9 person group interview 95% of people have). Is this just something they randomly do to keep you on your toes?

2. Should I be "ok" in terms of preparation if I've memorized detailed responses to the "9 questions" and some others from the feedback website?

I think I'm going to go with LDP for the structure of having class and the idea of not having a cadaver really turns me off for PBL. Maybe I'll change my mind but for now I think that's what I'm going with.

In any light I look forward to meeting you at lunch!

Thanks. You've been a big help so far.

Here is a question for ya: do the students that we will meet with have any input or bearing on our admission decision?

Great to hear, I have two questions before I head out on my long drive tomorrow:

1. Having gone through the interview feedback section a few times now some people within the past year or two actually had individual interviews (versus the 8-9 person group interview 95% of people have). Is this just something they randomly do to keep you on your toes?

2. Should I be "ok" in terms of preparation if I've memorized detailed responses to the "9 questions" and some others from the feedback website?

I think I'm going to go with LDP for the structure of having class and the idea of not having a cadaver really turns me off for PBL. Maybe I'll change my mind but for now I think that's what I'm going with.

Looking through the feedback section was definitely a good idea, but I would avoid having "rehearsed" answers. There is nothing wrong with having a good idea on what you would say, just make sure it doesn't come off tacky. The most basic advice of being confident and yourself is honestly the best advice there is. As for the one on one interviews, I can't say for sure, but I believe they've done them very late in the season when they really don't have any seats left and can be extraordinarily choosy.

You would know far better than I which pathway you would fit into better. I would do as much research as you can on the pathways. Just don't be "scared" into LDP initially like I was. It's extremely difficult to switch out.

Thanks. You've been a big help so far.

Here is a question for ya: do the students that we will meet with have any input or bearing on our admission decision?

The students you meet will have no bearing on your acceptance. Because of this you all should feel free asking whatever questions you like. I know SDN seems to have a vendetta against LECOM (unfounded a majority of the time). Your best resources to see whether or not that is true is to ask the students who you have to opportunity to eat lunch with. We'll be honest with you.

Interviewing at Seton Hill campus on the 31st. Anyone else planning to interview at Seton Hill?

HockeyDr09: I look forward to meeting you at lunch on Friday! I have a question now for you as I attempt to rank the learning pathways.

Do you feel LDP students are more prepared for their boards than the PBL students or is the preparation about equal? Aside from the core sciences taught with LDP, what are the main differences between ISP and PBL and advantages/ disadvantages of the two?

HockeyDr09: I look forward to meeting you at lunch on Friday! I have a question now for you as I attempt to rank the learning pathways.

Do you feel LDP students are more prepared for their boards than the PBL students or is the preparation about equal? Aside from the core sciences taught with LDP, what are the main differences between ISP and PBL and advantages/ disadvantages of the two?

I'll write a lengthier response later but PBL scores better on the boards by a significant margin every year. LECOM Bradenton is all PBL and they had 100% pass rate for the comlex last year. LECOM Erie was all above 92% but I believe PBL was 96%+ (don't quote me on that one).

Sent from my EVO using SDN Mobile

I'll write a lengthier response later but PBL scores better on the boards by a significant margin every year. LECOM Bradenton is all PBL and they had 100% pass rate for the comlex last year. LECOM Erie was all above 92% but I believe PBL was 96%+ (don't quote me on that one).

Sent from my EVO using SDN Mobile

thanks for the info. I will look out for when you write a lengthier response. :)

Interview!!! :D (I haven't gotten the email yet, I just checked the portal)

Complete 7/12

Were you guys assigned an interview date or were you able to use the self-scheduler thing?

grats on intervies. I was also complete on the 12th so hopefully i get some good news soon too..

grats on intervies. I was also complete on the 12th so hopefully i get some good news soon too..

Thank you! Yeah, I'm sure you'll hear soon--keep checking your portal (I still haven't gotten the email)

Hey hey, I hope you rocked your interview today...would you mind posting how your interview was conducted?

Hey hey, I hope you rocked your interview today...would you mind posting how your interview was conducted?

I'll be happy to once I get home after this 7 hour drive! (Likely to be 9 hours due to ridiculous traffic I'm predicting on I80 East).

I also met the famous HockeyDr haha.

I'll be happy to once I get home after this 7 hour drive! (Likely to be 9 hours due to ridiculous traffic I'm predicting on I80 East).

I also met the famous HockeyDr haha.

hah, thats supercool! and sure, drive safely!

What questions are you referring to here?

I was one of the lucky ones to interview on 8/3. For anyone that is wondering, this is how it all went down:

Arrived at the campus at about 7:45, signed in and everyone waited in a small conference room just off to the side. If my count was right, I think there were 14 of us, maybe 15. From what we were told, usually they interview over 30 people at a time.

We went upstairs to a different conference room to hear a presentation on the school. Jamie Murphy (admissions counselor) talked for about an hour and half and went over pretty much everything you could want to know: pathways, campus, cost, area, COMLEX scores, etc...

Then came the interview. We were split up into 2 groups (7 per group) that each had 2 interviewers. They stressed to us that they just wanted to get to know us and see how we interacted with each other. It's closed file so they know nothing about us. They aren't concerned with scores or GPAs (they said "you already past that test"), they truly just want to get a feel for who you are. They had us go around the table and say our name, where we graduated, what we were currently doing right now (school? work? research?) and one interesting thing about ourselves that wasn't in our file (like a hobby). Then they went back around the table and asked everyone why medicine, why DO, and how they found out about LECOM. Next, they began randomly picking people and asking them situational questions (describe a time...) My question was to talk about a time I had a difficult or challenging professor and how I handled it. Some of the other questions they asked others were: talk about a professor that inspired you?, what would you do if you saw another student cheating?, what is an accomplishment you are really proud of? Where do you see yourself in 20 years? I don't remember the other 2. I heard the other group had an interviewer pull out a bag of rocks, dump them on the table, and have everyone pick one and say why it was their favorite or something like that. Veritas was in that group so I'm sure he can talk more about that. We then moved on to a group discussion about the Affordable Health Care Act. Everyone was able to get a point or two in. Some really good discussion. The interviewers played devil's advocate a little bit and would push back on some of the points people were making. They weren't trying to make us wrong or anything, I think they just wanted to see how we think on our feet. Finally, we had a few minutes to ask the interviewers questions about themselves, the area, the school, whatever you wanted.

Then we went back to the conference room for a presentation on financial aid. We also filled out our pathway ranking forms and chose whether or not we wanted a decision within 30 days, or wait until December to hear.

Finally, we took a tour of the school and some of the classrooms and then finished up by meeting a few of the second year students and having lunch. It was awesome to talk with the current students, they had a lot of great insight. I was interested in PBL so I sat with a couple students that are in PBL right now.

My general thoughts/things I noticed:

Great school. Really nice facilities (check out the wellness center and bayfront campus if you get a chance), faculty seemed really invested in the students success, and the students seem to be really happy with the choices they have made. I was really impressed with everything. If I get an acceptance, this is where I want to go. PBL all the way.

Like so many people before me have said, the interview is non-stressful. Don't worry about it. Think about how you would answer some of the common questions, but don't rehearse them and spit them back out in the interview. Don't ramble either. Just answer the question they gave you and try to not add a lot of extraneous stuff. It's really tempting to want to tell them everything about yourself, but it's not necessary.

It would be so much better if they had you choose your pathway after you had a chance to talk with the students. Jamie did say if you want to change your rankings afterwards (pre-decision), to let him know and it wouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps! Good luck everyone!