Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only hawt chix allowed! South beach nudist com. Anyone have 300 million? We might be onto something here.

With that kind of criteria we won't be getting in either...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree an extra 10k would be excellent.

I still ask - how many people that attend lecom b take out the equivalent in loans that a 45k/year school student would take out? That's the only way I can see having a savings of 10k.

Scares me to think that there is someone in med school who is taking out 45k in loans to attend a 23k school just to have "savings."

I really am not trying to troll here but coming from a math/finance background I would love it if someone could give me an argument for how I don't make sense or that the opposition does.

OK so, this is the way I see it:

school A COA = 60k
school B COA = 45k

you attend school B and have 15k per year (plus interest) less of liability over the life of the loan (ie you have "saved" yourself 15k plus interest by attending school B) I am assuming this is the savings people are talking about.
I am willing to bet the majority of student borrow based on COA, NOT tuition and fees alone. Thus, by going to a cheaper school necessarily saves you the difference than going to the more expensive school, that is, when you borrow against the COA. Other factors I did not take into consideration are the cost of living for that particular city (more vs less disposable loan money) and whether you have a family or not.
Now, if you are disciplined enough and you spend less than the COA predicts, take that money and put it in a mutual fund, something not too risky, maybe something that deals with large cap or blue chip. It's still risky but maybe you actually make a little bit off it, enough to cover inflation or maybe a little more.
If you are of very risky nature go for international mutual funds that invest in Latin America or Asia.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the clinicals work here? Are they already set up with hospital X or is that on the students to get that done?

Electives/selectives you have to call/email the medical education director at the hospital you want to rotate at to schedule one and then report it to clinical education. All of the other mandatory rotations you pick from a list that clinical education gives you (in some cases, it's more of a battle and/or name-out-of-a-hat contest between your rotation group peers as opposed to picking) and just show up when you're scheduled.

Electives/selectives you have to call/email the medical education director at the hospital you want to rotate at to schedule one and then report it to clinical education. All of the other mandatory rotations you pick from a list that clinical education gives you (in some cases, it's more of a battle and/or name-out-of-a-hat contest between your rotation group peers as opposed to picking) and just show up when you're scheduled.

So if you wanted to do an away rotation this wouldn't be a problem would it?

So if you wanted to do an away rotation this wouldn't be a problem would it?
For electives, correct. For selectives, it just has to be at a LECOM affiliate hospital (kind of sucks and limits your spots for auditions, unless you happen to be looking at affiliates with residency programs.) And international rotations are not permitted whatsoever.

For electives, correct. For selectives, it just has to be at a LECOM affiliate hospital (kind of sucks and limits your spots for auditions, unless you happen to be looking at affiliates with residency programs.) And international rotations are not permitted whatsoever.

Yeah that does lock you down... Don't like that.

No international rotations?! Bummer!

One of my interests in grad school (Bioethics & Medical Humanities) was global health. I'm preparing for missions trips in Oct. 2012 in Guatemala and Jan. 2013 to the Dominican Republic. Africa and Haiti are also on my list; some schools list great opportunities abroad.

You can do missions trips on your breaks and vacation months. You just can't do a third/fourth year clinical rotation abroad for credit (might be able to do one during a vacation month not for credit, but I'm not 100% sure on that.)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do missions trips on your breaks and vacation months. You just can't do a third/fourth year clinical rotation abroad for credit (might be able to do one during a vacation month not for credit, but I'm not 100% sure on that.)

Thanks for the info!

Just had my apps released to schools and waiting (not at all) patiently for a secondary from here!

I don't know much about LECOM but I grew up in Erie, PA. The school is fairly new that's for sure.

Erie isn't too bad of a city as long as you aren't interested in trauma. They get some but not like a real big city. It is very very inexpensive to live there. I have not lived in Erie for 24 years but most of my family is still in Erie and I do get to visit occasionally.

They have a junior hockey team and baseball team if you like sports. Erie is also not too far from Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Cleveland. Like you really have time to take in a ball game :) As far as things to do there is not a lot but Waldameer is a decent amusement park, the peninsula has hiking, biking and fishing. The beaches are nice.

Depending on where you are coming from Erie can have harsh winters but if you are from Minnesota or Alaska it will seem mild! There are definitely 4 seasons and I think the fall is the best.

They have 2 "big" hospitals Hamot and St Vincent's and Millcreek Community which use to be called Erie Osteopathic. There us to be Docotr's Osteopathic but I am not sure if it was absorbed by one of the others but it isn't there anymore. My mom worked there years ago before she moved onto Hamot. There is also a VA hospital. I almost forgot Shriners Hospital for kids.

If you want to know more about Dreary Erie the mistake on the lake let me know.

I don't know much about LECOM but I grew up in Erie, PA. The school is fairly new that's for sure.

Erie isn't too bad of a city as long as you aren't interested in trauma. They get some but not like a real big city. It is very very inexpensive to live there. I have not lived in Erie for 24 years but most of my family is still in Erie and I do get to visit occasionally.

They have a junior hockey team and baseball team if you like sports. Erie is also not too far from Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Cleveland. Like you really have time to take in a ball game :) As far as things to do there is not a lot but Waldameer is a decent amusement park, the peninsula has hiking, biking and fishing. The beaches are nice.

Depending on where you are coming from Erie can have harsh winters but if you are from Minnesota or Alaska it will seem mild! There are definitely 4 seasons and I think the fall is the best.

They have 2 "big" hospitals Hamot and St Vincent's and Millcreek Community which use to be called Erie Osteopathic. There us to be Docotr's Osteopathic but I am not sure if it was absorbed by one of the others but it isn't there anymore. My mom worked there years ago before she moved onto Hamot. There is also a VA hospital. I almost forgot Shriners Hospital for kids.

If you want to know more about Dreary Erie the mistake on the lake let me know.

Why do they call it this?

Thanks for the info by the way. Us Florida boys and girls are in for a real shock up there.

I thought Cleveland was known as the "mistake on the lake"??? :D

Why do they call it this?

Thanks for the info by the way. Us Florida boys and girls are in for a real shock up there.
I would say the majority of Erie's population is below the poverty level. Used to be a booming steel town, but the mills have pretty much all closed up and left a lot of un-educated residents without decent paying jobs. Healthcare is booming here, but that's about it. Plus the weather seven or eight months out of the year just sucks. The summers are quite enjoyable though.

And yeah, anyone not accustomed to waking up to 12" to 18" of snow overnight is in for a shock. It's not like that seven days a week, but we do usually get a handful of massive storms every year (last year was an exception, barely snowed at all, which was AMAZING.) My advice, rent a house/apartment with a garage and buy a car/SUV with AWD before you get here (or at least get snow tires.)

I would say the majority of Erie's population is below the poverty level. Used to be a booming steel town, but the mills have pretty much all closed up and left a lot of un-educated residents without decent paying jobs. Healthcare is booming here, but that's about it. Plus the weather seven or eight months out of the year just sucks. The summers are quite enjoyable though.

And yeah, anyone not accustomed to waking up to 12" to 18" of snow overnight is in for a shock. It's not like that seven days a week, but we do usually get a handful of massive storms every year (last year was an exception, barely snowed at all, which was AMAZING.) My advice, rent a house/apartment with a garage and buy a car/SUV with AWD before you get here (or at least get snow tires.)

Sounds like good advice... I need to buy a car... I don't have one... I was hoping for a plug in hybrid... either that or a motorcycle... Can't decide....

So a while back I started to apply to LECOM's post bacc program so I had a profile set up on their portal. I logged in today and saw that I am able to access both the Erie and Bradenton supplemental apps. I don't think they've actually released them yet but I am really tempted to fill it out and submit it. What do you guys think? Too impatient?:shrug:

So a while back I started to apply to LECOM's post bacc program so I had a profile set up on their portal. I logged in today and saw that I am able to access both the Erie and Bradenton supplemental apps. I don't think they've actually released them yet but I am really tempted to fill it out and submit it. What do you guys think? Too impatient?:shrug:

I'd wait for them to send the email before filling it out, just to be safe. But if you'd want to share the prompts, I'd be okay with that! ;)

Motorcycles and snow don't mix well. At all.
And I swear the drivers here think motorcyclists are just rolling targets. I have near misses on mine almost every week when the weather's nice... Erie drivers are about as bad as you can get (and the Canadians that come here to shop are worse.)

And I swear the drivers here think motorcyclists are just rolling targets. I have near misses on mine almost every week when the weather's nice... Erie drivers are about as bad as you can get (and the Canadians that come here to shop are worse.)

It get bad here in J-ville too, although there is no snow

I'd wait for them to send the email before filling it out, just to be safe. But if you'd want to share the prompts, I'd be okay with that! ;)

No prompts! Just have to verify a few pieces of info and then submit with $50. A refreshing break from all the other secondaries.

Got an email just now saying my app is under review. I'm wondering how long it takes to receive a secondary after one receives this email?

They've sent out secondaries already?? D: I want one... :p

They've sent out secondaries already?? D: I want one... :p

Technically, no. If you got a secondary for LECOM-B, the secondary for LECOM-E is also available on the LECOM portal. I'm not sure if you are supposed to or not, but I submitted it anyway since it was available.

There have been rumors circulating that at some school last year, students who submitted secondaries early were automatically rejected. I have no idea as to what the validity of that rumor is, but I think it's safe to say that we all need to wait our turns. Due process, professionalism, self-control, and all that jazz. We're all still way ahead of the pack by submitting our primary already. Which of course does not mean you can't go ahead and pre-write ideas for prompts.

There have been rumors circulating that at some school last year, students who submitted secondaries early were automatically rejected. I have no idea as to what the validity of that rumor is, but I think it's safe to say that we all need to wait our turns. Due process, professionalism, self-control, and all that jazz. We're all still way ahead of the pack by submitting our primary already. Which of course does not mean you can't go ahead and pre-write ideas for prompts.

:thumbup: wait peeps.... or go ahead we could use a little less competition

Interesting. I hadn't heard about that. With that being said, maybe I should contact them to let them know and apologize....

Interesting. I hadn't heard about that. With that being said, maybe I should contact them to let them know and apologize....

To me, this sounds like not much more than rumor.

However, I think its a good point...better to wait and not get your file lost or mixed in with last years cycle!

But, I don't think they'll reject you outright for it...especially if you call

To me, this sounds like not much more than rumor.

However, I think its a good point...better to wait and not get your file lost or mixed in with last years cycle!

But, I don't think they'll reject you outright for it...especially if you call

They just may DO schools get really burned up when people don't follow directions. I think it adds to quite a few rejections.

They just may DO schools get really burned up when people don't follow directions. I think it adds to quite a few rejections.

Id just say, AT Still didn't follow normal conventions, why should I? ;) Im sure it'll work...

Say here... Next week... Next week.... My money is on tuesday

I hope so! I'll take you on and raise you Monday...:xf:

And for good reason, in my opinion. It's very rude and unprofessional.

Id just say, AT Still didn't follow normal conventions, why should I? ;) Im sure it'll work...

I hope so! I'll take you on and raise you Monday...:xf:
images

imgres

What's with the hold up? This is ridiculous.

:thumbup: wait peeps.... or go ahead we could use a little less competition

Don't get me wrong, you may be right and I may have screwed myself but ...

"If you wish to apply to the Erie or Seton Hill Campuses, you must indicate LECOM Erie as a choice on your AACOMAS application. You must also complete a separate LECOM Supplemental Application for consideration at the Erie or Seton Hill Campus."

... seems like a fair invitation to me for submitting LECOM-E's secondary along with B's (which I did, and it has been "received"). In fact it went to "received" status before Bradenton's even did. With that wording it would be highway robbery to reject someone for going through with LECOM-E's secondary "early".

My thoughts.

"If you wish to apply to the Erie or Seton Hill Campuses, you must indicate LECOM Erie as a choice on your AACOMAS application. You must also complete a separate LECOM Supplemental Application for consideration at the Erie or Seton Hill Campus."

... seems like a fair invitation to me for submitting LECOM-E's secondary along with B's (which I did, and it has been "received"). In fact it went to "received" status before Bradenton's even did. With that wording it would be highway robbery to reject someone for going through with LECOM-E's secondary "early".

My thoughts.

Look at it this way: submitting the secondary before you receive an invite will do absolutely nothing to *help* your chances and *may* hinder them.

Submitting after you get the invite has no risk whatsoever.

So why pick the former?

My thoughts.

True but what makes you think LECOM is not staffed by highway robbers? After all they do employ ninjas to make sure your dressed they way they like and never bring water in the building....:ninja:

Anyway that looks like a warning to people to let them know you can't just apply to LECOM-B and expect to be considered at LECOM-E without having both schools on AACOMAS and filling a secondary for both... I think you read way to much into that email...