lapel pin on white coat: appropriate? tacky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted980662

incoming MS1 here.

pride month has prompted me to consider purchasing a small rainbow pin to wear during my school's white coat ceremony, and perhaps during preceptorships/clinicals. maybe something like this.

would that be appropriate? or are you only supposed to wear pins from student/alumni organizations? i will be attending a small, very liberal program with several other queer students, but it happens to be located in a more conservative community. would this be NBD or do i risk alienating people?

Members don't see this ad.

Tacky, though this isn't specific to the specific pin you're asking about. As a student, there should be nothing on your coat that isn't provided by the school (name tag, patch, whatever) or functional (pens, handouts).

Will it end your career if you adorn your white coat with flair? No. Will it draw extra attention to you, which is rarely a good idea? Yes.

Reactions: 9 users
Lots of people wear pins, even in 3rd and 4th years. Really, no one gives a **** because they’re doctors and they’re busy so as long as it’s the only pin you have it would be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it’s fine to celebrate Pride with a pin but no booty shorts at school.

• Haha
Wear the pin if you want to. As long as you don't look like you work at TGI Friday's it's not a big deal. Nobody is even going to notice except for the people for whom the pin has some significance. The only pin I wear is of my undergraduate school logo and it helped me make some connections with the small handful of fellow alums who have noticed it. Literally not a single other person has ever commented on it. Maybe the rainbow will be significant for somebody and help you make a connection too.

Reactions: 6 users
I think 1 pin is fine, it just unprofessional AF when it's more than that. At that point the thought that seems to run through peoples minds is seriously -- You're bejeweling your white coat?! Are you 12?

Reactions: 4 users
My school gives us pins for several things. Don't wear more than 2 max at a time though or it starts looking silly.
I'm a M3 and I've got a rainbow cadeuceus like @ciestar linked to. That one you linked to OP would be fine too if you prefer that.

Reactions: 1 users
Pins are OK, but will quickly get annoying during clinicals when you have to remove all of them to wash your coat.

I do one pin on each lapel, because I think it looks unbalanced with just one side. One is the Pride cadeuceus people mentioned above, and the other is the one given out by my school. They're pretty subtle, and I've gotten a few positive comments about them from attendings and patients. Not many, because most people don't notice.

Everyone at my school has one lapel pin unless they've lost it, because that's how my school hands it out.

I've had no issues with washing the coat...in fact, I put the pins through the lapel AND the coat underneath and it helps make sure the collar and lapels stay folded exactly how I like. Takes 2 seconds to put them on and take them off, and I switch coats every weekend (and sanitize the badge and pins and everything in the pockets) and bleach both of them 2x/mo. Takes longer to switch my pens and crap over than the pins.

Wear the pin, it's NBD. Seriously, no one will care unless you either wear a crazy number of pins or a pin that is profane or graphic.

Reactions: 3 users
Unprofessional.

As lame as GHHS and AOA pins are, at least they're related to medicine. The white coat is not the billboard on which to advertise sociopolitical statements.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Clearly signally to a marginalized group (in an understated way that offends literally nobody IRL) that you as a med student/physician will be open and non-discriminatory to them is in fact...

wait for it....

Professional.

Reactions: 27 users
Unprofessional.

As lame as GHHS and AOA pins are, at least they're related to medicine. The white coat is not the billboard on which to advertise sociopolitical statements.
And yet AMA makes a pride pin themselves.

One of the (admittedly rare) comments I got from a patient was that seeing the pin made them feel more comfortable knowing I wouldn't judge them for being LGBT. To me, that's relevant to my job.

Reactions: 19 users
Unprofessional.

Oof

I like to think that LGBT allyship is not a political statement, but a moral necessity. Particularly as a healthcare provider.

@OP, looking at your link, i think that pin is too big. You might try to snag one of the Pride caduceus pins that are pretty popular. It’ll still have the effect of signaling to patients that they’re welcome while blending in and looking more professional

I think it would look pretty lame to wear a pin that wasn’t given to you by your school. Seems like “look at me” type move. TGI Friday comment really resonates with me. Also think it is borderline inappropriate to broadcast your sexual orientation but idk maybe I’m just too conservative

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Also think it is borderline inappropriate to broadcast your sexual orientation but idk maybe I’m just too conservative

You don’t have to be LGBTQ to wear a pin showing support for their community.

Reactions: 21 users
Clearly signally to a marginalized group (in an understated way that offends literally nobody IRL) that you as a med student/physician will be open and non-discriminatory to them is in fact...

wait for it....

Professional.

The expectation of all physicians is that we be as non-discriminatory as we possibly can toward patients under our care. Even if they've committed murder or rape.

The "Pride" pin is absolutely a political statement. If a patient needs to be soothed by the presence of such a pin, I'd hope that such a physician would be his or her psychiatrist.

And yet AMA makes a pride pin themselves.

One of the (admittedly rare) comments I got from a patient was that seeing the pin made them feel more comfortable knowing I wouldn't judge them for being LGBT. To me, that's relevant to my job.

1. Take a poll of attending physicians regarding how well they feel the AMA represents them.

2. I bet you that there are patients who'd feel more comfortable if their physicians wore Clinton or Trump pins on their white coats. Doesn't make those professional, either.

Reactions: 7 users
Oof

I like to think that LGBT allyship is not a political statement, but a moral necessity. Particularly as a healthcare provider.

You can like to think whatever you want. I'm not certain what "LGBT allyship" is, but if it wakes you up in the morning and makes the sky bluer for you, go for it. Just don't expect everyone else in medicine to share whatever the political goals du jour are out of "moral necessity."

I think it would look pretty lame to wear a pin that wasn’t given to you by your school. Seems like “look at me” type move. TGI Friday comment really resonates with me. Also think it is borderline inappropriate to broadcast your sexual orientation but idk maybe I’m just too conservative

You aren't. Don't let them gaslight you into thinking that your view is extreme. It's just mature.

Definitely a no for the pride pin. You are there to become a doctor and eventually treat patients not to advertise your sexuality and promote LGBT awareness/acceptance.

I am strongly pro-LGBT but would find that pin immature and unprofessional. I suspect the majority of Attendings would also.

It’s totally fine. Plenty of people (including residents and attendings) wore them at our school, and many people had positive comments from patients that it helped them feel more comfortable (we also probably had a higher percentage of LGBTQ+ patients compared to the average school though). I’d recommend looking into the pride caedecus/staff of asclepius as other posters have suggested.

Reactions: 9 users
You can like to think whatever you want. I'm not certain what "LGBT allyship" is, but if it wakes you up in the morning and makes the sky bluer for you, go for it. Just don't expect everyone else in medicine to share whatever the political goals du jour are out of "moral necessity."

When my parents were young people, de-segregating schools was politics du jour. That’s not politics though, that’s an ethical and social obligation to people in our country. When my grandparents were young people, they were getting drafted to fight in a war in which people were imprisoned, slaughtered, and enslaved on the basis of their religion (and also sexual orientation, race, and other characteristics outside their control.)

Supporting a group of people (that’s all allyship means) can be the right thing to do—and potentially your responsibility—not just because it’s a hot trend.

To the contrary, would it be okay then, to wear a religiously symbolic pin (Cross, Star of David, Star and Crescent)? If the answer is no, then the answer might be the same for a Pride pin.

I was led to believe that physicians should appear to be non-biased. Wearing one thing or the other indicates that they favor a particular ideology, thus alienating someone else. Regardless of what the majority of people believe or think, no amount of patients should be alienated or made uncomfortable.

This is why I would support not wearing anything that could indicate bias (even though it is morally justifiable to support a cause), I feel that it is inappropriate.

Reactions: 6 users
To the contrary, would it be okay then, to wear a religiously symbolic pin (Cross, Star of David, Star and Crescent)? If the answer is no, then the answer might be the same for a Pride pin.

I was led to believe that physicians should appear to be non-biased. Wearing one thing or the other indicates that they favor a particular ideology, thus alienating someone else. Regardless of what the majority of people believe or think, no amount of patients should be alienated or made uncomfortable.

This is why I would support not wearing anything that could indicate bias (even though it is morally justifiable to support a cause), I feel that it is inappropriate.

That’s actually an interesting and compelling point. But I’d also say that because the Star of David has obvious religious significance, that will inevitably alienate a large number of patients. On the other hand, a very subtle pride pin (not the one OP has linked to) would probably go unnoticed by someone for whom it has no significance.

But also, I’ve seen physicians broadcast their religion in other ways (cross necklaces, kippa, scarf). You wouldn’t call a guy with a kippa unprofessional. (I’m just musing here, obviously getting sidetracked from pins lol.)

Can't see why that'd be inappropriate, so long as it was normal small lapel-pin size. Plenty of people wear crosses or star of david necklaces, or yarmulkes, or hijabs. Hell, some people set off *everyone's* gaydar (even if they aren't gay). There are also plenty of names which are heavily associated with certain religions or ethnicities or whatever attribute someone could find a way to take offense to.

And a pride pin is not broadcasting your sexuality. Many people wear them who are not LGBT themselves. It's a gesture of acceptance.

I am not going to be the right physician for every single patient. That's OK. Some people won't want a white physician, or a female one, or a young/old one, or a [insert stereotype people make about me from appearances with no symbols displayed] one. I would rather a group which historically has had difficulties discussing this topic *which can directly impact their health* know that they have a provider that they can trust, than worry about the small number of people who are vehement enough about disliking LGBT people that they will avoid a physician who shows the smallest sign of supporting that group. Why? That population has a much larger pool of other physicians they can turn to. If they don't like me, well, there are 10 people next door who are me without that pride pin. The converse is not necessarily true, as physicians with pride pins are far less common than those without.

If creating a safe space for minority/oppressed groups is inappropriate, then oughtn't we eliminate all specialty clinics, like Pride clinic, Hispanic clinic, etc? Religious affiliations can make some people uncomfortable...should we rebrand all religiously based hospitals (Lutheran, Mt Sinai, etc) and make sure not to hang up diplomas from schools such as Loma Linda or Yeshiva or Temple? Is it OK for physicians with traditional families to have a (small, tasteful) photo of their spouse/children in their office? Doesn't that also advertise their sexuality? What if their spouse were the same gender as them, or a different race? Some patients might be uncomfortable with that. Where is the line?

Physicians are also people. Being a person is not unprofessional; being a bigot is. There is a difference between allowing signs of who you are under the white coat, and letting that impact how you treat your patients, and that is the line to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
thanks to those of you who provided thoughtful replies! i don't really agree with the notion that visibly queer providers represent a serious political or ideological imposition on patients. most of those comments smell like homophobic "shoving it down our throats" rhetoric (and don't actually address my underlying question about pins) :rolleyes: makes me question the culture of my chosen field.

on second glance, the pin i linked does seem a bit too big. i'll pick up the caduceus one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Personally I think all pins are tacky, but that’s just me.

Other than not liking pins in the first place, I don’t think the rainbow pin is a problem. Might signal something positive to your LGBT patients, and patients who don’t like it can get over it.

I would make sure that you’re allowed to add any flair at all to your coat before you go to your white coat ceremony; MS1 is too early to incur the wrath of admin for accidentally breaking a silly rule.

Personally I think all pins are tacky, but that’s just me.

Other than not liking pins in the first place, I don’t think the rainbow pin is a problem. Might signal something positive to your LGBT patients, and patients who don’t like it can get over it.

I would make sure that you’re allowed to add any flair at all to your coat before you go to your white coat ceremony; MS1 is too early to incur the wrath of admin for accidentally breaking a silly rule.
Yeah, we didn't even get our coats before the ceremony, so I'm surprised to hear this plan.

TBH, everyone at our school has one, so perhaps that's why it never struck me as tacky. I certainly wouldn't have gone out and gotten one otherwise. Mostly I use it to differentiate my coat from others more readily and, most importantly: it keeps my lapels from unfolding and showing the unfinished part of the hem, which our coats are prone to and which drives me INSANE!

I think it’s fine to celebrate Pride with a pin but no booty shorts at school.

I am of the opposite opinion. Dasie dukes under the white coat. No pin... that would just look silly

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Generally speaking I don't like pins, but if someone wants to wear 1 or 2 I don't really care. If the school gives a bunch out and you wear them I wouldn't care either, as it becomes obvious which ones the schools give out after a few students from that school rotate through. I've never seen any doctor comment about too many pins if it was just 1. As others have said, when they start to look like flare is when it's a problem. The only time flare is acceptable is if you're going into Peds, and even then you should keep it just on the peds rotation and the pins should be directed at kids (Disney pins, cartoons, etc).

I will say there is one pin I have a little bias against though and that's the AOA pin. If you're going to wear it on my service, be prepared to get pimped a little harder than everyone else.

thanks to those of you who provided thoughtful replies! i don't really agree with the notion that visibly queer providers represent a serious political or ideological imposition on patients.

It's not an imposition, but if you wear a pin which makes a social or political statements, people will notice. Many won't care but some will, and some may make incorrect assumptions. For example, I've had attendings and patients assume that people who wear a rainbow pin are liberal, which may or may not be true. One of my classmates initially did this but stopped wearing the pin when patients took it as a sign that they could talk politics and bash conservatives around her, which made her feel really uncomfortable (Idk her political affiliation, but she said she was just uncomfortable with the convos in general). That's not really a patient thing or a medicine thing, but just something that will happen because people are people and do all kinds of inappropriate things, often without knowing they are doing it.

Ideally, a physician is supposed to offer the same quality of care to an LGBT person as he would to a fundamentalist Christian. Wearing an LGBT Pride pin serves to alienate the large segment of the US population whose religious convictions cause them to disagree with the LGBT lifestyle.

Now, you might say, "Who cares? They're bigots, and their opinions shouldn't matter." That's a valid case to make in your personal life, but your job as a physician isn't to respond to and influence people's theological and political convictions. Your job is to offer medical treatments to your patients and to improve their health. Anything you do that serves to alienate patients whose personal (non-health-related) beliefs differ from yours is detrimental to your practice as a physician and is unprofessional.

Ideally, a physician is supposed to offer the same quality of care to an LGBT person as he would to a fundamentalist Christian. Wearing an LGBT Pride pin serves to alienate the large segment of the US population whose religious convictions cause them to disagree with the LGBT lifestyle.

Now, you might say, "Who cares? They're bigots, and their opinions shouldn't matter." That's a valid case to make in your personal life, but your job as a physician isn't to respond to and influence people's theological and political convictions. Your job is to offer medical treatments to your patients and to improve their health. Anything you do that serves to alienate patients whose personal (non-health-related) beliefs differ from yours is detrimental to your practice as a physician and is unprofessional.
Ideally, sure. However, most physicians/medical students are still not educated about LGBT specific issues. There are very few who know how to titrate trans hormone therapy, or know how/when to prescribe PrEP, or how to have a convo about proper sex toy hygine, etc, etc.
Whereas folks who can manage Mrs. Smith's diabetes are a dime a dozen.

So again, signalling to a marginalized and vulnerable minority population, that you in fact care and can help, is not a bad thing.

I'm not having political conversations with patients or forcing any ideology on anybody. The choice to be offended or not is theirs. So yeah, if somebody gets so offended simply by me wearing a 1 inch rainbow pin, that it damages our Dr-Pt relationship beyond repair, then I will happily, and easily, refer them to somebody else. But the LGBT folks will have many fewer options for appropriate and empathetic treatment

Reactions: 10 users

How far would you say a physician has to go in accommodating intolerant people? Would one need to hide his yarmulke, cross necklace, or change his non-English name to prevent alienating someone whose religious convictions might cause them to disagree with with those "lifestyles"?

thanks to those of you who provided thoughtful replies! i don't really agree with the notion that visibly queer providers represent a serious political or ideological imposition on patients. most of those comments smell like homophobic "shoving it down our throats" rhetoric (and don't actually address my underlying question about pins) :rolleyes: makes me question the culture of my chosen field.

on second glance, the pin i linked does seem a bit too big. i'll pick up the caduceus one.

-Haven't even started med school and are already thinking about adorning your white coat
-"makes me question the culture of my chosen field"

Sounds like your question wasn't sincere, and that you were looking for a particular answer.

Ideally, sure. However, most physicians/medical students are still not educated about LGBT specific issues. There are very few who know how to titrate trans hormone therapy, or know how/when to prescribe PrEP, or how to have a convo about proper sex toy hygine, etc, etc.

So again, signalling to a marginalized and vulnerable minority population, that you in fact care and can help, is not a bad thing.

I'm not having political conversations with patients or forcing any ideology on anybody. The choice to be offended or not is theirs. So yeah, if somebody gets so offended simply by me wearing a 1 inch rainbow pin, that it damages our Dr-Pt relationship beyond repair, then I will happily, and easily, refer them to somebody else. But the LGBT folks will have many fewer options for appropriate and empathetic treatment

It's obviously okay to tell LGBT patients that you are able to support their health-related needs. That being said, it's not okay to engage in pro-LGBT advocacy in front of all of your patients; this would include sporting politically provocative attire.

Imagine if a physician came to work wearing a MAGA hat, effectively ruining his relationship with most of his minority and LGBT patients. Would your "the choice to be offended or not is theirs" reasoning still fly in this case? No. Would an appropriate justification for this behavior be, "Oh, I'm just trying to signal to Christians and conservatives that I can suit their needs and teach their kids about God and abstinence"? No. It's inappropriate, plain and simple, because physicians shouldn't be engaging in non-health-related social advocacy in front of all of their patients. Such behavior serves to alienate people, and it breaks down the physician-patient relationship.

How far would you say a physician has to go in accommodating intolerant people? Would one need to hide his yarmulke, cross necklace, or change his non-English name to prevent alienating someone whose religious convictions might cause them to disagree with with those "lifestyles"?

Not wearing a rainbow pin is much more reasonable and less burdensome than changing one's name or abandoning one's personal religious obligations (e.g., wearing a yarmulke or hijab). Please note that people who wear yarmulkes don't do so for advocacy purposes; they do it because they have a deep belief that that's what God wants them to do.

I'm not saying that physicians have to proactively alter fundamental parts of their identities in order to accommodate patients. I'm saying that, when possible, physicians should avoid non-health-related social advocacy in the workplace; the goal should be to appear as unbiased as possible when interacting with patients and colleagues.

Reactions: 8 users
It's obviously okay to tell LGBT patients that you are able to support their health-related needs. That being said, it's not okay to engage in pro-LGBT advocacy in front of all of your patients; this would include sporting politically provocative attire.

Imagine if a physician came to work wearing a MAGA hat, effectively ruining his relationship with most of his minority and LGBT patients. Would your "the choice to be offended or not is theirs" reasoning still fly in this case? No. Would an appropriate justification for this behavior be, "Oh, I'm just trying to signal to Christians and conservatives that I can suit their needs and teach their kids about God and abstinence"? No. It's inappropriate, plain and simple, because physicians shouldn't be engaging in non-health-related social advocacy in front of all of their patients. Such behavior serves to alienate people, and it breaks down the physician-patient relationship.

Not wearing a rainbow pin is much more reasonable and less burdensome than changing one's name or abandoning one's personal religious obligations (e.g., wearing a yarmulke or hijab). Please note that people who wear yarmulkes don't do so for advocacy purposes; they do it because they have a deep belief that that's what God wants them to do.

I'm not saying that physicians have to proactively alter fundamental parts of their identities in order to accommodate patients. I'm saying that, when possible, physicians should avoid non-health-related social advocacy in the workplace; the goal should be to appear as unbiased as possible when interacting with patients and colleagues.

MAGA hat - represents a political ideology that actively wants to reduce or remove the agency of LGBTQ people.
Rainbow pin - represents a way of thinking that is open to all identities except those who are not accepting of others (no matter how much conservatives want to twist this idea).

MAGA hat - represents a political ideology that actively wants to reduce or remove the agency of LGBTQ people.
Rainbow pin - represents a way of thinking that is open to all identities except those who are not accepting of others (no matter how much conservatives want to twist this idea).

You believe that conservative symbols represent an ideology that seeks to reduce or remove the agency of LGBT people. Conservatives believe that LGBT pride represents an ideology that seeks to reduce or remove the agency of conservatives.

As a physician, it's best to avoid this ideological warfare when you're in the workplace interacting with patients. While at work, offer medical support to both LGBT patients and conservative Christian patients and keep your social views to yourself. In your personal life outside of the profession, air your opinions as you please; attend as many pride parades or Trump rallies as your heart desires.

Reactions: 14 users

So wait, wearing a LGBT-ally pin means you know how to titrate trans hormones?

Reactions: 7 users
I personally don't like to wear lab coat, I'm short and the long coat makes me look like a midget. But our shop expects us to wear one over everything. Rounding in suits and tie, and scrub only for OR...old school. But since I'm gay AF, I have a pride pin and a trans pin. No far no one said anything. Had those two pins since med school.

-Haven't even started med school and are already thinking about adorning your white coat
-"makes me question the culture of my chosen field"

Sounds like your question wasn't sincere, and that you were looking for a particular answer.
i'm excited to start medical school. an interest in HIV, queer health disparities, and trans medicine is what drove me to apply. adorning my white coat seemed like a fun way to celebrate that. it ain't that serious bud!

the answer i was looking for had more to do with whether personal pins are appropriate – what i take issue with is the repeated insistence that being visibly gay represents a radical political statement or a form of social activism. that is what makes me question the culture of medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm excited to start medical school. an interest in HIV, queer health disparities, and trans medicine is what drove me to apply. adorning my white coat seemed like a fun way to celebrate that. it ain't that serious bud!
Ok.

the answer i was looking for had more to do with whether personal pins are appropriate – what i take issue with is the repeated insistence that being visibly gay represents a radical political statement or a form of social activism. that is what makes me question the culture of medicine.

If it's not social activism, what's the purpose of advertising that you're gay?

If your purpose in wearing the pin on your white coat to to be "visibly gay", how on earth would it be professional?

If it's not social activism, what's the purpose of advertising that you're gay?

Few to no people care about whether you're gay. The question is: if your purpose in wearing the pin on your white coat to to be "visibly gay", how on earth would it be professional?
see my above post. queer health is a personal and academic interest. being visibly gay is not my primary objective in wearing a rainbow pin, but it seems to be the thing that bothers most other posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.