Large animal experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmss011223344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a really hard time getting any large animal experience. What resources do I have to find these sorts of experiences. I live in Bronx, NY

Members don't see this ad.

Google, and the search function on this forum are the only two resources you need. Hope you find a solution.

Contact LA vets within a distance/radius that you would be willing to drive. I got a lot of my LA experience volunteering at a zoo and at some farm animal rescues. I shadowed an equine vet about 2 hours from where I live for a day, as well, but like I said, ya gotta be willing to go outside the city -- since there probably won't be many LA vets there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact LA vets within a distance/radius that you would be willing to drive. I got a lot of my LA experience volunteering at a zoo and at some farm animal rescues. I shadowed an equine vet about 2 hours from where I live for a day, as well, but like I said, ya gotta be willing to go outside the city -- since there probably won't be many LA vets there.
This. You will probably have to travel outside the city. Just do a search of LA vets outside the city and contact them. This may require some traveling on your part.

Don't be afraid to cold call. Look online or keep your eyes peeled for farm signs when driving through rural areas. They may not be hiring for paid positions at farms but you can always offer to volunteer. Shadowing is great to put you in the right direction but it doesn't always give you hands on opportunities.

Or do some sort of volunteering trip, whether in the US or abroad like Cela Belize which offers a (expensive) large animal vet trip: http://www.celabelize.com/

Something like Horse therapy for like autistic kids?

Eagle mount is a certified equine therapy program and you can search for a program near your city. (They need to know horses and skills that work with the various needs of riders that have physical or mental disabilities or have undergone some sort of trauma. It's really kind of a cool way to think about the interaction between horse and rider.)