Late 20's career changer looking for advice.

Started by misterwolf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Your GPAs are on the low side. Generally I tells applicants that TMDSAS schools love love love high GPAs and when applying, the higher the GPA, the better. I'm sure you have, but if you haven't pull up the TMDSAS chart on the median GPAs of matriculants and you will see these stats. I have noticed that high GPAs/lower MCAT will garner more invites than low GPAs/higher MCAT on TMDSAS schools.

However, TMDSAS schools also really emphasize holistic reviews of applicants. Therefore, based on your background, if you can a) get a MCAT 510+ b) shadow primary care physicians and c) write a compelling PS then I can see that should you apply to all the TMDSAS schools you will likely get some interviews from some of them. I can't advise on DO schools outside of TMDSAS only the two (TCOM and Sam Houston State) or AMCAS HBMS. But I don't see why you shouldn't also apply to them in addition to TMDSAS schools.

@Faha
 
First I'd say don't underestimate the MCAT. The stakes are high on that exam, especially if you're aiming for MD with a cGPA hovering around 3.00. The upward trend, 3.8+ post-bacc, and URM are exactly what adcoms are looking for when they see a low cGPA. That being said, the MCAT is all the more important in such a scenario, since you've got some space between the 'old' and 'new' you.

I know you said you're a good standardized test taker, so perhaps the 80th+ percentile MCAT will come naturally for you. I hope it does. But it doesn't for most. I'd personally recommend paying a test prep company that can guarantee you a 510+ if you drink from their fountain. If you were a great standardized test taker without their prep, you should do exceptionally well on the MCAT with their comprehensive content review and additional test-taking techniques.

Do you have a good LOR from the volunteer coordinator or director at the stroke clinic? This needs to be priority #1 if not. Diddo for the refugee clinic. Applicants often forget the importance of having excellent LOR's.

In parallel, I'd recommend beginning to shadow physicians immediately. Things have become a bit easier in the shadowing arena, as we've all learned to more easily deal with the new pandemic world. However, we also know how quickly things can change. Start shadowing ASAP so that you aren't hung out to dry when the situation changes again and no one is allowing in-person shadowing when you need it most. You also mentioned that you'll be applying DO. Many DO schools have traditionally required for you to obtain shadowing hours and subsequent LOR from a DO before matriculating. While the pandemic has waylaid this requirement at many schools during recent cycles, no one knows whether the schools you apply to during your cycle will again have this requirement. As before, it's best to begin your shadowing yesterday and acquire as many physician LOR's as possible.

Aim for 40+ physician shadowing hours in high needs or underserved primary care as your starting point. Honestly, this is enough on its own. Then you can tack on shadowing flashier specialties, like EM, Surgery, etc. But you should always have shadowing time in primary care as a foundation. Adcoms want to see that you can find meaning in the specialty you would be more or less forced into if you don't perform very well in medical school or on your board exams.

Beyond lots of MCAT prep, LOR's from your volunteer experiences, shadowing hours and LOR's from physicians you've shadowed--I'd recommend that you apply to Carle Illinois. It's the only engineering-centric medical school in the country and the typical premed will not have the necessary prereq's (calc, differential equations, linear algebra, etc.) to even apply. They're also part of the very large University of Illinois, so I'm not sure you could go wrong in applying as a former practicing engineer.

Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your GPAs are on the low side. Generally I tells applicants that TMDSAS schools love love love high GPAs and when applying, the higher the GPA, the better. I'm sure you have, but if you haven't pull up the TMDSAS chart on the median GPAs of matriculants and you will see these stats. I have noticed that high GPAs/lower MCAT will garner more invites than low GPAs/higher MCAT on TMDSAS schools.

However, TMDSAS schools also really emphasize holistic reviews of applicants. Therefore, based on your background, if you can a) get a MCAT 510+ b) shadow primary care physicians and c) write a compelling PS then I can see that should you apply to all the TMDSAS schools you will likely get some interviews from some of them. I can't advise on DO schools outside of TMDSAS only the two (TCOM and Sam Houston State) or AMCAS HBMS. But I don't see why you shouldn't also apply to them in addition to TMDSAS schools.

@Faha

Thank you for your input. I have a follow up question. What do you think I should do next?

1) After this semester is over work part-time in a clinical job as a PCT, EMT or Lab Tech etc. Continue to strengthen my ECs and study for the MCAT.

2) Apply to a 1 year masters program that does not require the MCAT. Study for the MCAT and lightly work on my ECs.
 
If your goal is to apply in June 2023, that would mean you will matriculate in 2024. If you are able to financially, I would take about 3-6 months off after you finish your PB/biochemistry to prioritize and study for the MCAT. Since only undergraduate courses are used to calculate TMDSAS GPAs, taking a 1 year masters program would not increase those GPAs and likely would not be efficient use of your time if your goal is medschool matriculation in 2024. I would prioritize the MCAT, shadow, and continue with your ECs if you are financially able after your PB/biochem. Otherwise go with #1.