Late Interview at NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isomerjohn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received interview letter from NYCOM- Interview will be in mid April. I wonder if there will even be any spots left by then ? Anyone have any idea or will be interviewing in April as well ?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on feb. 7th and Im wait listed now. I dont like my chances of getting in right now. I wish i had applied sooner. But if your MCAT is sky high which mine isnt you will get in. I just dont know why they are interviewing people they have no intention of accepting

Bad MCAT's: were you waitlited or rejected ? Also, are you a resident of New York ?

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected, and yes im a NY resident

I am a ny resident and was rejected. I thought that if you got an interview you were fine as long as it went well. I thought mine did go well, but I guess I was wrong

Who interviewed you ? Can you give more infomation as far as how the interview went ? Maybe, we can all help you put your finger on what possibly affected your outcome there.

I had this Asian doctor I couldnt make out his name when he interviewed me, he was in kind of a rush and everyone who had this guy seemed to think the same thing.

Hey badmcats, how bad are are your mcats??

I had the same doctor, BadMCAT's.

It was like I was rushed out of the interview room. When they asked me if I had questions... They were looking at me like... Come on... Hurry up... We've got things to do. Don't feel badly.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by BadMCATs:
•I had this Asian doctor I couldnt make out his name when he interviewed me, he was in kind of a rush and everyone who had this guy seemed to think the same thing.•••••

Hey guys...I interviewed at NYCOM the 3rd week of January and just heard from them March 8...I found out that I was accepted which came to much of a surprise since I didn't think my interview went well and I don't have the best stats. But, it seemed as if they were very interested in my opinions and life experiences. I thought for sure that I would be rejected or at the most waitlisted since I am from CA, I know that they prefer NY residents. So, don't give up guys...just honestly be yourself. When I sat down and started the interview, they seemed really cold and they were asking me why I got certain grades in certain classes...I felt like I was being attacked...but then I just sat back and said...look, I want to be a DO since they view things hollistically, so I was hoping that they would pick their future doctors looking at them as a whole as well...good grades dont make good doctors. After that, they kind of backed off =)
But, then again, I didn't have that Asian doctor. I am really excited about attending NYCOM and I hope they pick really cool people since I know it is hell going through med school...I just hope I have fun people to experience it with!!!

Also...BadMCATs...how do you get waitlisted then rejected?

Sexydr2be: I hate to ask but what were your stats ? I am interviewing at the end of next week.

I wrote the wrong thing, i was rejected at PCOM but waitlisted at NYCOM, thats why it seemed odd. Im really shocked I was wait- listed though, b/c I thought my interview went well. Its kind of strange, i thought they would take everyone that interviewed well. Why would they waste applicants time as well as their own if they have no intention of accepting that person.

isomerjohn,

i was interviewed during january and was accepted in february. i had bad mcats, but my grades were pretty good (8v,8p,10b,o, 3.78 overall, 3.8 science). the interview day was very structured. we were all seated in a room until we were interviewed. during that time, we had to fill out our secondaries which consisted of writing all of your extracurricular (medical and non-medical related) activities, honors, and why you chose to apply to nycom. know about the history of osteopathic medicine for the interview!

hope that helps!

DocStarwars:
Will you be going to NYCOM ? Are you a state resdient ? Congrats, though I think many of us will agree those are not bad MCAT's at all. Much as osteopathic physicians evaluate the whole patient, amny of us are hoping that are whole application is given equal consideration.

BadMCATs- My MCATs were bad...I only had 8s. How bad were yours? I was really shocked to get multiple interviews with those scores...but I did work full time through college. I don't remember if it was you or someone else on this message board that was disappointed in being waitlisted or rejected after an interview. I interviewed at UMDNJ and was rejected! I thought that my interview went well...they are really kick back there and they make sure to insure everyone that they only interview people that they are serious about. But, I guess I didn't impress them! That especially is disappointing since I flew out to the east coast!
Do you know how the wait list works for NYCOM? Is it ranked?

This is the breakdown, 10 verbal,4 physics,10 Bio
3.8 gpa overal and science

•••quote:•••Originally posted by BadMCATs:
•This is the breakdown, 10 verbal,4 physics,10 Bio
3.8 gpa overal and science•••••Wow I have never seen or heard of that kind of distribution. If you improve your physical sciences score you can actually score in magical thirties.
Goodluck.

Hey Docstarwars,
Just out of curiosity, did you apply to any MD schools? I have about the same GPA and MCAT (3.76 and 8V, 9B, 10P) and just wanted to see how someone with similar numbers fared with the application process. Thanks.

Imput from any others ?