latest time to take Step2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imbricatedu2rus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty getting fully registered due to my name changing and the next available date for Step2 CS is in May. Does anyone know if there is a deadline on the residency programs end for completing it? I would hate to show up to work to be turned away b/c my score isnt in.:scared: Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am having difficulty getting fully registered due to my name changing and the next available date for Step2 CS is in May. Does anyone know if there is a deadline on the residency programs end for completing it? I would hate to show up to work to be turned away b/c my score isnt in.:scared: Thanks!

May!!! good luck with residency match, 2008

There is no deadline for completing CS in terms of starting residency. It was thought that you would need it before starting, but that didn't pass the committee. So now you just need it to get your full license, I believe, and if your school requires it. I don't know if this is different for IMGs.

There is no deadline for completing CS in terms of starting residency. It was thought that you would need it before starting, but that didn't pass the committee. So now you just need it to get your full license, I believe, and if your school requires it. I don't know if this is different for IMGs.

I dont know abou that, alot of programs ask for CS to be taken and pass before starting residency. Maybe Im wrong.

I'm pretty sure you need to pass CS prior to residency.

It is program-dependent. Most of mine definitely require that you take it and pass it before residency. My school actually requires that we pass both CS and CK prior to graduation!

IMG's need to have it done to get ECFMG certification. Without the certification, it's a no-go to start residency.

Thanks for the replies. My schools registrars office told me today not to worry. They want students to have it done my April 1st but really just want to know that is scheduled. They will hold my diploma until the score is in but I dont care about that. They said this happens all the time and that none of the students that have taken it in May have been told they cant start residency. I will verify it with my program after the match, but I am not gonna stress about it.

Sounds like you're set but here's another possibility... I heard that if you check every day sometimes there's a spot that opens up for that same week, sometimes the next day or the day after. If you skim First Aid for CS ahead of time, you could always sign up and then go a day or so later, depending on how easily you can travel there. Study some the night before. Depends on how much you want to get it over with.

Sounds like you're set but here's another possibility... I heard that if you check every day sometimes there's a spot that opens up for that same week, sometimes the next day or the day after. If you skim First Aid for CS ahead of time, you could always sign up and then go a day or so later, depending on how easily you can travel there. Study some the night before. Depends on how much you want to get it over with.

Exactly this is what I did. It takes about 6 hours (in a weekend day) sitting in front of the computer till one spot show up in the range I want to sit for the exam. During that time a good number of spots will show up. Reschedule immediately or someone else will take it in few minutes. One week preparation is more than enough.

mmed and rain
yeah that is my plan. i am going to aggressively try to get a sooner date. do they only offer dates on the weekend? interesting. i dont think i will be studying for it for that long though.

mmed and rain
yeah that is my plan. i am going to aggressively try to get a sooner date. do they only offer dates on the weekend? interesting. i dont think i will be studying for it for that long though.

The spots may show up any day in any center (morning or evening) depending on other's cancellations. If someone cancels, the spot will show up immediately. Just sit in front the computer and go back and forward to update the web page. If any spot shows up take it. If not suitable ignore it many will show, if not try the other day an so on.