• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

imbricatedu2rus

10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am having difficulty getting fully registered due to my name changing and the next available date for Step2 CS is in May. Does anyone know if there is a deadline on the residency programs end for completing it? I would hate to show up to work to be turned away b/c my score isnt in.:scared: Thanks!

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am having difficulty getting fully registered due to my name changing and the next available date for Step2 CS is in May. Does anyone know if there is a deadline on the residency programs end for completing it? I would hate to show up to work to be turned away b/c my score isnt in.:scared: Thanks!

May!!! good luck with residency match, 2008

medgirl81

PGY1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
There is no deadline for completing CS in terms of starting residency. It was thought that you would need it before starting, but that didn't pass the committee. So now you just need it to get your full license, I believe, and if your school requires it. I don't know if this is different for IMGs.

About the Ads

mig26x

15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
Miami, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
There is no deadline for completing CS in terms of starting residency. It was thought that you would need it before starting, but that didn't pass the committee. So now you just need it to get your full license, I believe, and if your school requires it. I don't know if this is different for IMGs.

I dont know abou that, alot of programs ask for CS to be taken and pass before starting residency. Maybe Im wrong.

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status (Visible)

I'm pretty sure you need to pass CS prior to residency.

Medical123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2001
Status (Visible)
It is program-dependent. Most of mine definitely require that you take it and pass it before residency. My school actually requires that we pass both CS and CK prior to graduation!

MushieCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

IMG's need to have it done to get ECFMG certification. Without the certification, it's a no-go to start residency.

imbricatedu2rus

10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for the replies. My schools registrars office told me today not to worry. They want students to have it done my April 1st but really just want to know that is scheduled. They will hold my diploma until the score is in but I dont care about that. They said this happens all the time and that none of the students that have taken it in May have been told they cant start residency. I will verify it with my program after the match, but I am not gonna stress about it.

Rain Elizabeth

Cutie Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Sounds like you're set but here's another possibility... I heard that if you check every day sometimes there's a spot that opens up for that same week, sometimes the next day or the day after. If you skim First Aid for CS ahead of time, you could always sign up and then go a day or so later, depending on how easily you can travel there. Study some the night before. Depends on how much you want to get it over with.

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like you're set but here's another possibility... I heard that if you check every day sometimes there's a spot that opens up for that same week, sometimes the next day or the day after. If you skim First Aid for CS ahead of time, you could always sign up and then go a day or so later, depending on how easily you can travel there. Study some the night before. Depends on how much you want to get it over with.

Exactly this is what I did. It takes about 6 hours (in a weekend day) sitting in front of the computer till one spot show up in the range I want to sit for the exam. During that time a good number of spots will show up. Reschedule immediately or someone else will take it in few minutes. One week preparation is more than enough.

imbricatedu2rus

10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
mmed and rain
yeah that is my plan. i am going to aggressively try to get a sooner date. do they only offer dates on the weekend? interesting. i dont think i will be studying for it for that long though.

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
mmed and rain
yeah that is my plan. i am going to aggressively try to get a sooner date. do they only offer dates on the weekend? interesting. i dont think i will be studying for it for that long though.

The spots may show up any day in any center (morning or evening) depending on other's cancellations. If someone cancels, the spot will show up immediately. Just sit in front the computer and go back and forward to update the web page. If any spot shows up take it. If not suitable ignore it many will show, if not try the other day an so on.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.