LDR and Pursuing Residencies/Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paws&Purrs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my significant other and I are both third years at different veterinary schools (plan was to get into the same school but it didn’t quite work out). I am planning to pursue an anatomic pathology residency after vet school (not sure if traditional or combined with a PhD) and my significant other is unsure of what they want to do but know they don’t want to go into GP and will likely specialize through the match program. What is the likelihood that if they got an internship at the same school I was at that they could then also get a residency at that school later because I’ve heard schools won’t take their own interns? We both no longer want to do long distance after veterinary school and I was just wondering how feasible this is since I will be at one place for 3+ years. For reference, I’m looking at schools in bigger cities with opportunities for internships outside universities if they doesn’t match into the same school I attend.

Members don't see this ad.

The places I’ve been are more likely to accept one of their interns for a residency than they are to accept one of their students as an intern. But I think that will probably will vary school to school and even specialty to specialty within that school. There’s definitely no guarantees with the match.

A benefit for your specific situation is that pathology is outside of the match so you’ll likely know if you matched well before Christmas the cycle you apply. Then your partner could apply to the match and only rank the institution you’re at or ones within a reasonable commute, since their rank list wouldn’t be due until after you know your own application results. But the risk in only applying to one or two programs is that if your partner doesn’t match they may have to work GP or do the scramble or whatever if they don’t match to the same place. Lots of couples do long distance during the internship and residency trail. Hopefully it would work out but you may have to have some tough discussions and decisions about what is more important to y’all as a couple…ending the long distance or specializing.

What is the likelihood that if they got an internship at the same school I was at that they could then also get a residency at that school later because I’ve heard schools won’t take their own interns?

That's not true, many programs keep interns on as residents. There could certainly be specific programs that avoid this. It's just really important to get this type of information from a reliable source at the program and not rely on "hearing" things.

As for the likelihood of them getting an internship at the same place you are doing a residency, that will depend on a number of factors: the particular program, how strong of an applicant they are, and luck of the match. It's doable but I would not count on it. Have a plan B.

Applying to schools in large cities certainly increases the opportunities for them getting an internship at a nearby private practice. Of course the disadvantage is many veterinary schools are in small towns so it limits the number of places to apply.

Good luck!