Leadership Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sike08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I work at Starbucks and I went through a special program to become a "coffee master." Basically this is an in depth exploration of the processes involed to harvest coffee, make it, and most importantly for this question, how to really taste it. Each Starbucks store usually has at least one of us and it is our primary job to ensure all customers and "partners" (employees) know as much about coffee as possible. Every once in awhile I have to hold coffee seminars featuring the newest type of whole bean coffee to better educate everyone about it.

So... I am wondering if this counts as leadership experience...?

I have to organize the whole seminar, make sure me and my fellow employees are up to date on the latest knowledge available. This may not be academic at heart or even considered volunteerism leadership, but is it plausible to mention on my applications?

Thanks ya'll :)

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think its definitely something I would put down.

Hey, I work at Starbucks and I went through a special program to become a "coffee master." Basically this is an in depth exploration of the processes involed to harvest coffee, make it, and most importantly for this question, how to really taste it. Each Starbucks store usually has at least one of us and it is our primary job to ensure all customers and "partners" (employees) know as much about coffee as possible. Every once in awhile I have to hold coffee seminars featuring the newest type of whole bean coffee to better educate everyone about it.

So... I am wondering if this counts as leadership experience...?

I have to organize the whole seminar, make sure me and my fellow employees are up to date on the latest knowledge available. This may not be academic at heart or even considered volunteerism leadership, but is it plausible to mention on my applications?

Thanks ya'll :)

I wouldn't put this down as a leadership experience. It would be considered a stretch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I dunno. It's certainly interesting, and I'd put it down, but I'm not sure I'd call it leadership. But skills like organizing seminars and disseminating information are good, leadership or not.

It's not leadership experience, but I'd definitely put it on your application (unless you have all your other slots filled with better stuff). It sounds cool, and it's unique.

Anyone can answer my question:

Does training employees count as leadership?

and for three summers I was a junior golf instructor for about 5-8 kids, could this also be counted as leadership?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would not list this as leadership. I have a similar situation with American Eagle, and I would list it as employment but still describe your position within your job. It shows leadership ability for sure and it diversifies your application.

Anyone can answer my question:

Does training employees count as leadership?

and for three summers I was a junior golf instructor for about 5-8 kids, could this also be counted as leadership?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would not count this as leadership, either. If it had been peers you were leading, then I would.

My wife was a coffee master at starbucks while she was in college... seems kind of like a stretch to count it as leadership experience... maybe if you were a shift supervisor that would be better

"leadership is the art of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal. Put even more simply, the leader is the inspiration and director of the action. "

I think anything where you are leading others (young or old) and getting them to do what you want/teaching them counts as leadership experience.
Would I write an essay about being a coffee master? no, because I have other things like TAing. Would I make sure its in my description of the job? absolutely

If you are training or teaching your peers thats leadership. Being a golf instructor for little kids is leadership. You don't have to be president of your pre-med club to have leadership experience. If you're in charge of someone else you're a leader

"leadership is the art of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal. Put even more simply, the leader is the inspiration and director of the action. "

I think anything where you are leading others (young or old) and getting them to do what you want/teaching them counts as leadership experience.
Would I write an essay about being a coffee master? no, because I have other things like TAing. Would I make sure its in my description of the job? absolutely

If you are training or teaching your peers thats leadership. Being a golf instructor for little kids is leadership. You don't have to be president of your pre-med club to have leadership experience. If you're in charge of someone else you're a leader

:thumbup:

I think your experience is definitely special and a good topic to talk about during interviews...but I wouldnt say it's a leadership experience...just my 0.02

I think your experience is definitely special and a good topic to talk about during interviews...but I wouldnt say it's a leadership experience...just my 0.02

It's definitely something to mention on an applicaton, but it shouldn't be listed under leadership.

hey thanks for the input. i definitely did not think it would, i only asked because I cannot really think of any recent leadership i have had.

would being a tutor count as leadership? even if it is through the school's system? i am thinking about applying to volunteer as a chem tutor this fall sem.

hey thanks for the input. i definitely did not think it would, i only asked because I cannot really think of any recent leadership i have had.

would being a tutor count as leadership? even if it is through the school's system? i am thinking about applying to volunteer as a chem tutor this fall sem.

This is what you can do for leadership.

1) Place a newspaper ad to organize a group of volunteers to do some charity work (cleaning up the beach, helping the homeless at a soup kitchen, fundraising, etc).
2) Join a charitable organization and volunteer to do some of the administrative tasks (organizing, scheduling, etc)
3) Start a nonprofit organization.
4) Start your own business.

cool, thanks for the input.