Leave of Absence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkvquigley

OMS-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to myriad major life events that started before the semester did, resulting in my failing two blocks and barely passing two others so far, I've decided to take a leave of absence and re-start my first year next fall. So, I have 9 months of literal free time. I've been applying for all kinds of jobs, reading non-textbook books... sleeping, a lot.

If you took a LoA, what did you do to fill the time? If you haven't... what ideas do you have?

Online classes vs. independent study to boost my medical knowledge?
Full-time vs. part-time jobs?
Book suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what your situation with money is. Are you being funded and living with your parents? then go and consider doing research or something to improve your resume and spend the remaining time trying to self study a bit for first year. If you need money then go work and earn some and self study a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I took a leave, under different circumstances but it was a leave none the less. I got a job, and just worked. I needed money to live on, so that made sense and at the time I wasn't sure I would come back. If I redid it I would do Bros every day maybe 20 cards. Would have really made things easier when I came back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to myriad major life events that started before the semester did, resulting in my failing two blocks and barely passing two others so far, I've decided to take a leave of absence and re-start my first year next fall. So, I have 9 months of literal free time. I've been applying for all kinds of jobs, reading non-textbook books... sleeping, a lot.

If you took a LoA, what did you do to fill the time? If you haven't... what ideas do you have?

Book suggestions?
Very sorry to hear of your woes. One thing I do suggest is seeking counseling to help build up your coping skills.

Reactions: 1 users
Listen to Pathoma might be a good start to kill time and prepare for next year

Very sorry to hear of your woes. One thing I do suggest is seeking counseling to help build up your coping skills.

Thank you! I have indeed started counseling, and it has been helpful. I can’t suggest taking advantage of the university counseling services enough!

Think about it this way: when interviewing for residency, the question will almost certainly come up: why did you take a LOA? While they may not ask it, they will also be wondering, "what did you do with that time?" If you are able to describe your time off as constructive and something that will contribute to your success as a resident, then that will be a major plus.

Book suggestions?

Hey im sort of in a similar boat except my school doesnt really allow LOA for more than a month.
High chance I will be doing a 3 month coding camp and be a programmer for a few months. Pretty cool way to earn some good money after 12 weeks of training.

Hey im sort of in a similar boat except my school doesnt really allow LOA for more than a month.
High chance I will be doing a 3 month coding camp and be a programmer for a few months. Pretty cool way to earn some good money after 12 weeks of training.

I appreciate being able to take next semester off, but on the other hand, I have to re-start my first year. What’s another year though, in the grand scheme of things?

I’m thinking I’ll take an anatomy course, and apply for some medical internships with ProjectsAbroad or Samaritan’s Purse. I’ve also been applying for different entry-level jobs at hospitals and clinics in my area.

Till then, I’m learning how to relax and take care of myself!

I appreciate being able to take next semester off, but on the other hand, I have to re-start my first year. What’s another year though, in the grand scheme of things?

I’m thinking I’ll take an anatomy course, and apply for some medical internships with ProjectsAbroad or Samaritan’s Purse. I’ve also been applying for different entry-level jobs at hospitals and clinics in my area.

Till then, I’m learning how to relax and take care of myself!

That sounds like a good plan too. If money isnt a concern then thats probably a good way to stay connected in the medical field and recover.