LECOM 3-Year Accelerated Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not applying until next year, but I was curious if anyone knew about how going the 3-year accelerated FM route affects fellowship opportunities.

I know LECOM has it and it looks like NYCOM does too, although I doubt my stats will be competitive enough for NYCOM.

I've always been on the fence about FM or Peds, but if I went FM, I'd want to do a 1-year Obstetrics fellowship afterwards.

My question is, do you still qualify for fellowships if you do a 3-year accelerated program?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not applying until next year, but I was curious if anyone knew about how going the 3-year accelerated FM route affects fellowship opportunities.

I know LECOM has it and it looks like NYCOM does too, although I doubt my stats will be competitive enough for NYCOM.

I've always been on the fence about FM or Peds, but if I went FM, I'd want to do a 1-year Obstetrics fellowship afterwards.

My question is, do you still qualify for fellowships if you do a 3-year accelerated program?
I think that once you do a 3-year FM residency, you should be qualified for that fellowship... The 3-year accelerated program has nothing to do with the 1-year OB fellowship...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go to LECOM

Don't listen to him

Anyways, i know couple of kids who were in that program and wanted to do FM but they bailed last minute because they didn't want to keep their options limited. If you are 100% sure you want Primary care then go for it.

As for the fellowship, i don't think you would have any problems. Which residency program you go to is what that matters most for fellowship

Don't listen to him

Anyways, i know couple of kids who were in that program and wanted to do FM but they bailed last minute because they didn't want to keep their options limited. If you are 100% sure you want Primary care then go for it.

Yeah, that's my fear. Although as I mentioned, I've always been interested in FM or Peds, but what happens when I start doing clinicals and find another specialty I enjoy more...

I think lecom is a grey area. I met a resident who loved it though. Its not like its a lucom.

I'm not too keen on LECOM either.

Whats wrong with LECOM?

Dress code.

I know, I know, I'll be wearing a shirt and tie for the rest of my career... But, I can't imagine sitting in class in a shirt and tie for 8 hours a day for two years. But, then there's always PBL, but I'm so used to lecture...

Yeah, that's my fear. Although as I mentioned, I've always been interested in FM or Peds, but what happens when I start doing clinicals and find another specialty I enjoy more...

I'm not too keen on LECOM either.

Dress code.

I know, I know, I'll be wearing a shirt and tie for the rest of my career... But, I can't imagine sitting in class in a shirt and tie for 8 hours a day for two years. But, then there's always PBL, but I'm so used to lecture...

I don't mind getting dressed up. I kinda like the idea actually. Plus its at least 50 grand less then most schools. That's really nice.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't mind getting dressed up. I kinda like the idea actually. Plus its at least 50 grand less then most schools. That's really nice.

Yeah, that factor is definitely under the PROs column.

Dress code.

Oh, right. I forgot about all that. I think there was some talk about people having a bad interview experience as well, i believe. Cheap tuition, though?

Don't listen to him

As for the fellowship, i don't think you would have any problems. Which residency program you go to is what that matters most for fellowship

I believe this is accurate, but where you end up for residency is a bit limited by doing the PCSP program. You have limited time in those programs, which means less opportunity to do auditions (if any) and less time off for interviews. Again, if you are sure you want to do PC, then I would talk to some people who either are in the program or recently finished. Also, in order to stay in the program I believe you have to maintain a 3.0 or above.

The nice thing is that you can always switch to the full 4yr program if you find you'd rather keep your options open.

I think lecom is a grey area. I met a resident who loved it though. Its not like its a lucom.

There are lots of people that like LECOM, and a ton of pretty successful docs that came out of it as well.

They have very specific rules. If you can't handle them, it's probably safer to look elsewhere. Based purely on what I've observed, students with the most compliants are either in the pharmacy program or interviewed at Bradenton and were weirded out by the clown display or attitude of adcom members there. I have no experience in either, so I can't really comment.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Does anyone know how you opt for the 3-year option? I'm assuming it's on the application?

The nice thing is that you can always switch to the full 4yr program if you find you'd rather keep your options open.

Well that's not a bad deal. I didn't know that. Do you know at what point that option expires? Year 1? Year 2?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Strict rules. Dress codes. Some people make claims that I don't think are well supported.
It's not just the dress code. Nova has a dress code too. Lecom just does things that are rather suspect... I mean....if there's a website that's dedicated to hating LECOM something must be up. It's not like there are hate websites for other med schools lol.

Want to have a small snack or a drink of water in class or in library? Not happening.
Want to carry your books everywhere you go, because they don't have lockers? Cool.

And if you enjoy being cluttered in a tiny building all day, and freezing with cold winters and heavy snow then go for it. I'm talking about Erie...I can't speak for Seton Hill or Bradenton lol.

Just somethings to think about OP. Sometimes it's the little things that you don't get to do at Lecom that will make you miserable for the next 4 years. But I could be wrong.. ;)

In the end, go wherever you want to. It's your goals and money, so do with it what you will. I'm just giving you little tid bits I wish I new last year.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Does anyone know how you opt for the 3-year option? I'm assuming it's on the application?

Well that's not a bad deal. I didn't know that. Do you know at what point that option expires? Year 1? Year 2?

I can't remember if its on the secondary or not, but I recall it being on the pathway selection form that you fill out at the interview.

As far as when you can opt out, I think its sometime in 1st year (either halfway through or closer to the end). The pathway is identical to the others through MS1, then you do some extra stuff over the summer so you can start rotations in MS2 (Feb/Mar I think). That said, I can't imagine they'd give you trouble if you wanted to opt out during MS2, but I honestly don't know. I do know that at the end, if you decide to not do PCP, you have to pay 1 extra year of tuition, but I don't know how realistic that would be for anyone given that you will have less elective rotations, so it might be hard matching in another field.

Exactly I'll dress up for a considerable difference in tuition :cool:

It's not just the dress code. Nova has a dress code too. Lecom just does things that are rather suspect... I mean....if there's a website that's dedicated to hating LECOM something must be up. It's not like there are hate websites for other med schools lol.

Want to have a small snack or a drink of water in class or in library? Not happening.
Want to carry your books everywhere you go, because they don't have lockers? Cool.

And if you enjoy being cluttered in a tiny building all day, and freezing with cold winters and heavy snow then go for it. I'm talking about Erie...I can't speak for Seton Hill or Bradenton lol.

Just somethings to think about OP. Sometimes it's the little things that you don't get to do at Lecom that will make you miserable for the next 4 years. But I could be wrong.. ;)

In the end, go wherever you want to. It's your goals and money, so do with it what you will. I'm just giving you little tid bits I wish I new last year.

I actually love snow so no biggie there. Nor do I eat snacks. I stick to 3 meals a day and that's it. And I don't care if the building is small as long as I have a seat to sit in. So I'm applying. Also nova let's you wear scrubs. Every med student and dental student is wearing scrubs there.

Not to mention the Ferretti's dont have their heads on straight at all.... they are hard advocates against any kind of GME merger....

Also no one really mentions that crap where that girl was raped or whatever and then they tried to cover it up as well as dismiss her for "being a slut." Its a cheap school which is all well and good. But do you want to pay tuition to essentially waste a bunch of time and teach yourself (PBL). Only then to have their admin dismiss you like you are a freshman in college when you are trying to get better quality rotations or change anything with their program that you and your classmates think is not fruitful to you becoming a better physician?

There appears to be a view by the administration that med students are kids and need to be treated and controlled like kids and not respected like adults who are working on a professional degree. THAT is what turns me off about LECOM.

I went to LECOM. I like to think that I turned out okay.

So far as the 3 year DO program.... I'd say be careful. There are some states that specifically say they require 4 years of med school for a license. Now, I do think LECOM has lobied a lot of these states so they relinquish that requirement, but still, it may cause you some problems in the future. I do have a few friends who did this accelerated pathway and they are doing fine in PA and NY.

Also, spending an additional year doing more rotations and gaining clinical experience (when you have so much support as a med student) is never a bad thing.

The 3-year DO from LECOM is really made for this: A person who wants to live in Erie for the rest of their life, go to Milcreek for residency, do their MS Med Ed program, and then work as a Medical Associate of Erie LECOM doctor forever. There are lots of people like this. If that's you, I'd say definitely go for it. But if you are anyone else, don't.

Not to mention the Ferretti's dont have their heads on straight at all.... they are hard advocates against any kind of GME merger....

Also no one really mentions that crap where that girl was raped or whatever and then they tried to cover it up as well as dismiss her for "being a slut." Its a cheap school which is all well and good. But do you want to pay tuition to essentially waste a bunch of time and teach yourself (PBL). Only then to have their admin dismiss you like you are a freshman in college when you are trying to get better quality rotations or change anything with their program that you and your classmates think is not fruitful to you becoming a better physician?

There appears to be a view by the administration that med students are kids and need to be treated and controlled like kids and not respected like adults who are working on a professional degree. THAT is what turns me off about LECOM.

He's not wrong about the attitude of administration (I have no clue about that rape thing though...weird). They are NOT interested in students' opinions of basically anything and I defy anyone to give me a reason for some of the rules they implement (ok, no food drink is at least defensible to keep a building clean). That being said, who gives a crap; look at the big picture. Go to class, leave campus immediately, study hard, get your degree for like 150K less and move on. Now I did PBL so I didn't have to spend so much time on campus. Maybe it would have been different for me if I did lecture. PBL is always going to draw strong opinions but you know what opinions are like, right? dinguses, everyone's got one and they all stink.

I went to LECOM. I like to think that I turned out okay.

So far as the 3 year DO program.... I'd say be careful. There are some states that specifically say they require 4 years of med school for a license. Now, I do think LECOM has lobied a lot of these states so they relinquish that requirement, but still, it may cause you some problems in the future. I do have a few friends who did this accelerated pathway and they are doing fine in PA and NY.

Also, spending an additional year doing more rotations and gaining clinical experience (when you have so much support as a med student) is never a bad thing.

The 3-year DO from LECOM is really made for this: A person who wants to live in Erie for the rest of their life, go to Milcreek for residency, do their MS Med Ed program, and then work as a Medical Associate of Erie LECOM doctor forever. There are lots of people like this. If that's you, I'd say definitely go for it. But if you are anyone else, don't.

Which lecom campus? Any thoughts on wehatelecom.com? Any major red flags or is this stuff unwarranted?

It looks like the wehatelecom.com site has been taken down. I was there recently for an interview and just did not have a good feeling about the school at all. The biggest thing that bothers me is the lack of rotations with UPMC and general unhappiness of the student body.

It looks like the wehatelecom.com site has been taken down. I was there recently for an interview and just did not have a good feeling about the school at all. The biggest thing that bothers me is the lack of rotations with UPMC and general unhappiness of the student body.
Woah what, it was taken down?

Which lecom campus? Any thoughts on wehatelecom.com? Any major red flags or is this stuff unwarranted?

Erie. That was a site run by people who were upset that med school is hard. I'd ignore it.

You'll get a fine education at LECOM for cheap. Just follow their rules, which aren't a big deal. Ignore the politics. Do PBL or DSP/ISP. Study hard. Think about where you want to do your rotations early.

Where you do a residency matters much, much more than where you do med school.

How much time is spent on campus if you do PBL? I'm applying to Bradenton

Erie. That was a site run by people who were upset that med school is hard. I'd ignore it.

You'll get a fine education at LECOM for cheap. Just follow their rules, which aren't a big deal. Ignore the politics. Do PBL or DSP/ISP. Study hard. Think about where you want to do your rotations early.

Where you do a residency matters much, much more than where you do med school.

Thanks for the response! I'm really interested in lecom because I know I can graduate their with zero debt.

All this negative publicity over lecom seems to be much to do about nothing.

Would you recommend PBL?

I think I'm going to go ahead and apply there. A few dollars and a trip. Won't hurt to check it out I suppose.

is there a general info thread for LECOM somewhere? obviously their website will have some info, but they won't be putting that they have strict rules on their website, etc. stuff like that is what i would like to see... kind of an insider's opinion/more realistic.

Do PBL if you like group study. I did DSP/ISP and I loved it. I wouldn't suggest LDP.

Cool I will have to look into this more so I could talk about it in a potential interview.

Not until next year, but most likely both Erie and Bradenton. I don't mind the cold. I'd be interested in PBL though.

I don't mind the cold either but I rather be closer to Tampa then Pittsburgh!!

I'm not sure if the school in Tampa is as good though. They lock you into PBL there. I don't really like that.

Sorry for the bump.
I just have a question. I apologize in advance if it sounds like a silly one (I'm just a naive premed :help:).
So, after you finish the program and the AOA residency in FM or IM you have to work 5 years in primary care medicine. I heard someone saying that working as a hospitalist, which I'm interested in, is not primary care. So, I cannot work as a hospitalist during those 5 years.
I assumed if you do a FM or IM residency, whatever work you do after that is primary care (I guess I was wrong).
So, what kind of work do they want me to do for 5 years after residency exactly :thinking:?

The school doesn't sound great, but disregarding all that momentarily, why is it a bad thing to be against the merger? While I'm sure other factors were at play, LECOM was trying to protect future students from competing against the MD's on an unfair playing ground. From an outsiders perspective, it appears that the DO niche got destroyed and the bias remains. How exactly is that a good thing for the students?